EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Living in Egypt » Laptops in Egypt, best brands?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Laptops in Egypt, best brands?
Nora
Member # 807

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nora     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've been looking around for a laptop but i'm not exactly an expert so i need some help
I heard that as a brand, Acer is crap, but I also heard Dell (the LE 5000-6000 ones) isn't manufactured properly in Egypt.

if my range is 5000-6000, whats the most reliable brand?

thanx

Posts: 537 | From: Cairo | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Egy_mada
Member # 11992

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Egy_mada     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Go for HP Compaq, the best . . . .
you will never say the word 'I need to fix XXXX'or 'XXXX doesn't work peoperly'

check www.rayadistribution.com

Posts: 55 | From: Cairo | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dalia*
Member # 10593

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dalia*     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Nora:
whats the most reliable brand?

Definitely Apple. They are a bit more than 5000 though ...

www.apple.com/macbook/macbook.html

Posts: 3587 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
south_london_male
Member # 3917

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for south_london_male   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When it comes to Laptop then you need to buy either Toshiba or Compaq, if you need the laptop for mainly design or graphics or deskto publishing then neeed Apple ( but it is not easy to find spare parts or to repair Apple in Egypt ) .. check this website for specs , it is in UK but wil give you an idea about specs and models and prices , www.pcworld.co.uk
Good luck at your buying,, by he way I was in Egypt in the Summer and there was many ads for many Toshiba for a very good specs and very good price ( under 5000 )

Posts: 1373 | From: London | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nora
Member # 807

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nora     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
if it was between Toshiba, Dell, HP and Acer. Which would come at the top of the list and which last?
Posts: 537 | From: Cairo | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Egy_mada
Member # 11992

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Egy_mada     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I do not know a lot about Toshiba, I can not rank it.
for the other , it will be HP then Dell.
Forget Acer, they have a usuall problem in Hard Drivers and weak Wi-Fi detecting.

Posts: 55 | From: Cairo | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nora
Member # 807

Member Rated:
Oh, and I don't need a laptop for design or graphics, nothing really that heavy. Just regular usage, but fast and reliable.

By the way, is Dell crap in Egypt?

south_london_male
Member # 3917

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for south_london_male   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
1)Toshiba
2) Compaq
3) Dell
4) Acer

Make sure to get a high specs , otherwise you will need to get another one very soon.good luck

Posts: 1373 | From: London | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
south_london_male
Member # 3917

Rate Member
Another good make you can go to ,, and it is not very expensive in Egypt is : FUJITSU SIEMENS, I think Amilo model of this range is available there
Nora
Member # 807

Member Rated:
I've had problems with FUJITSU SIEMENS at work, it really slows down after a while. I'll check toshiba out though thanx

This is the one I was considering buying, but then someone told me Dell isn't that great, so i dunno :S

Dell Inspiron 6400

-Processor: Intel Core Duo T2130 1.86GHz
-Cache Memory: 1MB L2 Cache
-RAM: 1024mb DDR2 (1GB)
-Hard Disk: 120 GB
-DVD writer
-Monitor: 15.4" Truelife
-Intel GMA 950 (up to 256MB)
-56Kbps Modem
-WiFi, bluetooth..etc

south_london_male
Member # 3917

Rate Member
Be carefull.. it does not have WINDOWS .. they will charge you extra for that or give you non legal copy ,, you need to buy one with Windows VISTA Home premmium ( basic one is not good at all )
Also he priceis very expensive for sucj modell and make ..
I have seen such ads in Egypt they say free DOS OS .. you need Windows not DOS

Dalia*
Member # 10593

Icon 6 posted      Profile for Dalia*     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by south_london_male:
if you need the laptop for mainly design or graphics or deskto publishing then neeed Apple ( but it is not easy to find spare parts or to repair Apple in Egypt )

Not trying to convince anyone here, but I think the times that Apple was mainly used for graphics or DTP are definitely over. Yes, it's true that most professionals in the design business still use Apple; but the reason I recommended it was that the new system is just great, crash-proof and extremely user-friendly. I've been using my last Apple for a bit over two years, and the system has not crashed on me even once! [Smile]

And if you live in Cairo it's fairly easy to find spare parts or have your Apple fixed.

Posts: 3587 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
south_london_male
Member # 3917

Rate Member
ok then the order shouldbe like that:
1)Toshiba
2) Compaq
3) Dell
4) Acer
5) Apple

Sorry I forgot to include Apple in my last post and give it the right ranking ,, at least world wide ,, I know Apple is heavely used in USA and also Dell ,, but this is not teh case allover the world

Automatik
Member # 4457

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Automatik   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would stay away from Vista and stick with XP. Though they're both garbage XP has been around a few years and most of the bugs have been figured out.
Posts: 2235 | From: Jail | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
young at heart
Member # 10365

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for young at heart     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bought a new laptop earlier this year, got told to stick to xp.
Posts: 4476 | From: Scotland | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
south_london_male
Member # 3917

Rate Member
I do agree with you that XP is good and been for long,, but very soon most of the applications/programs and settings will be using Vista ,, and XP will not be good enough after one or 2 years ,, so if some one does not want to buy a new Windows/upgrade it ,, then Visat is much better idea
Pressure makes diamonds
Member # 14028

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pressure makes diamonds     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by south_london_male:
I do agree with you that XP is good and been for long,, but very soon most of the applications/programs and settings will be using Vista ,, and XP will not be good enough after one or 2 years ,, so if some one does not want to buy a new Windows/upgrade it ,, then Visat is much better idea

agreed but u will need powerful laptop to get vista running in good way as it consum so much hardware

vista would be bad for now as it will run ur laptop slow
get the dell inspiration 6400 great laptop not same quality like hp but its a very stable laptop
u will be happy with it
cheers
amr

Posts: 1499 | From: Dark Side of the Moon | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
south_london_male
Member # 3917

Rate Member
This exactly I ranked Toshiba then Comapq avove Dell .. they are more powerful,, anotherthing One of my students was buying Dell 6400 aouple of months ago and he was advised to buy the XP option ,, but he prefred to get the VISTA option and it is runing ok for him ,, no problems at all.. Dell in general ok as laptop for beginners.. another thing many people talk about VISTA problems but not a single one gave a single example ( I am talking in general .. not only thos who posted here) consuming hardware is not a problem at all.. unless you mean it needs high specs,, still in this case go for Toshiba or Compaq
Nora
Member # 807

Member Rated:
Thanks everyone!! So I guess i should get either toshiba or HP. Is there a decent HP model for 5000-6000le though?
south_london_male
Member # 3917

Rate Member
I do not live in Egypt so I am sorry I do not know the current prices ,, Toshiba is more popular in Egypt for normal users , Compaq is more poular for companies and business people .. Toshiba is bit cheaper or may be evn lot cheaper in Egypt , there is a company which always maks ads on ALAHRAM newspapers on Tuesdays ,, I think they are branch of a company in UAE , sorry can not remember the name , they had outstanding cheap prices for Toshiba in July ..
Nora
Member # 807

Member Rated:
Ok I'm back after a little bit of research and shopping.

I've decided that it's between these 2 laptops:

1- Toshiba Satellite A200 (at CompuMe)
http://www.bz-point.com/index.php?act=viewProd&productId=44

- Processor: Intel Dual Core T2130 1.86Ghz
- Cache Memory: 1MB L2 Cache
- RAM: 1 GB
- Hard Disk: 120 GB
- Monitor: 15.4" TFT WXGA TruBrite
- Display Card: Intel GMA 950 (Up to 251MB)
- DVD Writer
- modem
- Wireless
- Bluetooth
- Windows Vista Home Premium
- LE 5,900

2- Compaq Presario V600, Model: 6450 (at Carrefour)
http://www.bz-point.com/index.php?act=viewProd&productId=15

- Dual Core 2.00 Ghz
- RAM 1 GB
- HD 160GB
- DVD-RW/CD-RW
- VGA 128 MB
- Widescreen 15.4"
- Windows Vista
- LE 5,250

I need help from the computer experts please, which one of those is more reliable, faster and will last longer with me? and which has better customer service in EGYPT incase i break it or something?

THANKS!

Vader-
Member # 14189

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Vader-   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Are you quite sure you need a laptop ?

I got a desktop at that price with twice the ability of those laptops. Plus a printer and a webcam.

Posts: 6335 | From: Straight to my heart. | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Exiled
Member # 14410

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Exiled     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You picked two good laptops with good reviews (if the Compaq is V6000T) throughout the net but Toshiba as a brand is better than Compaq.

Compaq is basically the cheaper alternative of HP and the complaint with some Compaq users is that the laptop begins to wear down to quickly and you don’t want a creaky notebook.

Verdict Toshiba

Posts: 2418 | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
advocate
Member # 13367

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for advocate     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
1- Toshiba Satellite A200
I have this model, it is very good and have had no trouble with it "touch wood"

Posts: 1917 | From: WALES | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nora
Member # 807

Member Rated:
I'd rather get Toshiba coz its a better brand (although ugly-looking), but only reason i'm considering Compaq coz its got more HD space (160 versus 120), is faster and more lightweigt and would be easier to carry around.
Nora
Member # 807

Member Rated:
Advocate, did you buy your Toshiba from Egypt? I heard it differs depending on what country you get it from. I'm getting mine from egypt.
advocate
Member # 13367

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for advocate     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No I bought mine in the UK, but an Egyptian friend of mine bought theirs in Egypt and i have used it, it is almost identical except for a few keys in a different place.
Posts: 1917 | From: WALES | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com