EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Living in Egypt » smoking taxi drivers

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: smoking taxi drivers
Audrey Hepburn
Member # 11579

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Audrey Hepburn     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As a non smoker, being surrounded by smokers is the one thing I struggle with in Egypt. Often, my poor car lets me down and I end up taking the 40 minute journey to work by taxi. The other morning the driver chain- smoked 4 cigarettes on the way and I really felt smelly and horrible by the time I got to work.I then felt like people would think I was smoking as I smelt like an ash tray! How is the best way to handle this? I have found 2 drivers who dont smoke at all and try to call them, but they are not always free?
Posts: 233 | From: uk | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
_
Member # 3567

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for _     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ask them friendly to stop smoking. Tell them you are sick. Most of them will understand and if not get out and look for another one who is more considerate. BTW the same goes with speeding and loud Koran recitation/music.

But isn't it funny how many taxi drivers offer you a ciggie as soon as you hop into their car? [Big Grin]

Posts: 30135 | From: The owner of this website killed ES....... | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
south_london_male
Member # 3917

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for south_london_male   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Try to use Cairo Cab or City Cab , and ask the controller to send you a non smoking drivers only ,
Posts: 1373 | From: London | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
egyptian7
Member # 12215

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for egyptian7     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
u can tell him in a polite way not to smoke cuz u hve some helath problems but make sure b4 he fire it ,he doesnt want to loose 25 pt [Razz]

--------------------
islam

Posts: 2447 | From: cairo | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
VanillaBullshit
Member # 10873

Icon 1 posted      Profile for VanillaBullshit     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Audrey Hepburn:
As a non smoker, being surrounded by smokers is the one thing I struggle with in Egypt. Often, my poor car lets me down and I end up taking the 40 minute journey to work by taxi. The other morning the driver chain- smoked 4 cigarettes on the way and I really felt smelly and horrible by the time I got to work.I then felt like people would think I was smoking as I smelt like an ash tray! How is the best way to handle this? I have found 2 drivers who dont smoke at all and try to call them, but they are not always free?

As soon as you get into the cab, douse him with gasoline, that should discourage smoking.
Posts: 2404 | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seabreeze
Member # 10289

Icon 1 posted      Profile for seabreeze     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's really fun with a young baby. [Frown]
Posts: 13440 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jean_bean
Member # 13715

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for jean_bean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
yup, VB,,,that should do it !
Posts: 1103 | From: 6th of October | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Audrey Hepburn
Member # 11579

Rate Member
Icon 8 posted      Profile for Audrey Hepburn     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
must admit if I had a baby, I could not control my annoyance so well AT ALLLLLL GGrrrrrrrr
Posts: 233 | From: uk | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mish-mish
Member # 10728

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for mish-mish     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey I went to India and didn't find any cab drivers smoking. They made a law. If enough people used only non smoking cabs might be a start. I know our beach apartments have no smoking signs and my mil laughs. But hey I don't want smoking in our apartments period, we just wont rent it to anyone that does. I always request non smoking rooms, and I keep the numbers of non smoking cabbies in the hood with ac and they get my business. Ask around.
Posts: 62 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
newcomer
Member # 1056

Icon 1 posted      Profile for newcomer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There is a law in Egypt that no one is allowed to smoke on public transport, and that includes buses as well as taxis, but the problem is not with the law, it's with the enforcement, and people not wanting to offend smokers - at least that's what they tell me.

Apparently its ok for someone to choke you and make you feel sick with their cigarette smoke and make you a secondary smoker, but it's not polite for you to ask them to wait until the end of your journey to light up [Confused]

What really gets me is when a second passenger gets into my taxi and offers the driver a cigarette and I am supposed to suffocate on two people's cigarettes and still pay full fare for the pleasure. Sorry...I won't do that, I ask them not to smoke.

Posts: 4576 | From: Cairo | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
_
Member # 3567

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for _     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't share taxis - with no one! If the cab driver wants to make more money or he has the urge to collect more people on the way - sorry but he should go and drive a minibus instead!
Posts: 30135 | From: The owner of this website killed ES....... | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com