EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Living in Egypt » I'm freezing

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: I'm freezing
VanillaBullshit
Member # 10873

Icon 1 posted      Profile for VanillaBullshit     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My apt feels like a meat locker.
Posts: 2404 | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
henita
Member # 11693

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for henita     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What is the temperature there at this moment?

Don't wanna brag or make you feel bad,but were i live is a comfy and warm 84F. [Razz] [Big Grin] [Cool]

Posts: 1339 | From: Om Leito | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vader-
Member # 14189

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Vader-   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm three quarters naked. Where do you live ?
Posts: 6335 | From: Straight to my heart. | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
_
Member # 3567

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for _     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
VB, you don't have a heater?

Sashyra, you always know what to say in the right moment! I am so jealous! [Wink]

My flat is warm thanks to central oil heating but outside..... brrrrrr I don't even wanna send my dog out. [Frown] Okay I just checked, we have 3°C outdoors.

Oh and Leito, I can imagine. [Big Grin]

Posts: 30135 | From: The owner of this website killed ES....... | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dalia*
Member # 10593

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dalia*     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Are you in Cairo??? I have to take two showers a day at the moment because I'm constantly sweating. [Confused]
Posts: 3587 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
henita
Member # 11693

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for henita     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Leito:
I'm three quarters naked. Where do you live ?

3 quarters nekkid like most of the time,son.... [Roll Eyes] [Big Grin]
Posts: 1339 | From: Om Leito | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vader-
Member # 14189

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Vader-   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Tigerlily:

Oh and Leito, I can imagine. [Big Grin]

You're not supposed to be... [Roll Eyes]

quote:
Originally posted by Dalia*:
Are you in Cairo??? I have to take two showers a day at the moment because I'm constantly sweating. [Confused]

Wow, it ain't THAT hot.
Posts: 6335 | From: Straight to my heart. | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
VanillaBullshit
Member # 10873

Icon 1 posted      Profile for VanillaBullshit     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Concrete & Steel buildings trap cold in winter & heat in summer, that's the problem.

I don't wanna use the heater, I always get a nasty cold the next day.

Current temps 24C/75F outside, low of 15C/59F tonite.

--------------------

Posts: 2404 | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Exiled
Member # 14410

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Exiled     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by VanillaBullshit:
My apt feels like a meat locker.

It’s these damn Middle Eastern buildings that are built to last but because they are built with so much concrete and no insulation they become like caves. I am currently using 5 gallons a day on diesel and the boiler is only on 12 hours per day – an American muslima wrote to describe the weather ...‘baby it's cold inside’.

Egypt and Egyptians need to utilize the abundant and almost free gas that is available. Seriously that is a luxury – in America it's $3 a Gallon – the Brits are paying 1 BRITSH POUND PER LITER someone PLEASE tell me I am sooooooo wrong!!

And here they are completely lifting subsidies for fuel as of January 2008!!!

DAMN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Allah yustur.

Posts: 2418 | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vader-
Member # 14189

Member Rated:
When I get too cold I take a freezing shower. After it's over you will be emitting heat all over the place.
Dalia*
Member # 10593

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dalia*     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Wow, it ain't THAT hot.

It's around 25°C if I'm not mistaken. That's warm enough to be sweating when you're walking around, sitting in taxis etc.
I'm sitting in an office with the windows open right now, wearing a light, long-sleeved shirt and I'm feeling slightly too warm ...

Posts: 3587 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
anthropos
Member # 9410

Icon 1 posted      Profile for anthropos     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
yes a lot of concrete and a lot of holes in them too!!

Seriously why don't they insulate the windows and doors better, both to keep heat and cold out? And other things, rat and mice babies can get through 4 mm holes...

Posts: 2184 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
VanillaBullshit
Member # 10873

I don't know about built to last, Dunes, there've been several buildings here in the past few years that literally crumbled to the ground due to poor foundation & careless construction.

You're right about the 'cave' effect tho.

Leito - Cold shower?! I'd shatter like glass lol

--------------------

_
Member # 3567

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for _     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
It's around 25°C if I'm not mistaken.

Oh god ......I am sitting in the wrong country!!!! [Frown] [Frown]
Posts: 30135 | From: The owner of this website killed ES....... | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
anthropos
Member # 9410

Icon 1 posted      Profile for anthropos     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
yeah but in the night it is much colder, and along with that go concrete walls, ceramic floors and huge apartments. And perhaps a half open window that can't close well. Brrrrrr....
Posts: 2184 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
henita
Member # 11693

Member Rated:
Here we even go to the beach year round... [Razz] [Cool]
Vader-
Member # 14189

Member Rated:
quote:
Leito - Cold shower?! I'd shatter like glass lol

If you're afraid of doing it at once, start with warm water then switch (very fast) to cold water.

It works like magic for me, my ears even go red afterwards from the heat coming out.

VanillaBullshit
Member # 10873

quote:
quote:
Wow, it ain't THAT hot.

It's around 25°C if I'm not mistaken. That's warm enough to be sweating when you're walking around, sitting in taxis etc.
I'm sitting in an office with the windows open right now, wearing a light, long-sleeved shirt and I'm feeling slightly too warm ...

Twenty five Celsius is a very warm summer in Europe, you're probably used to that Deutsche cold.

Early morning is worst, I took a shower then walked around for a bit in a tee shirt & shorts, my nipples felt like diamond tipped drills.

Dalia*
Member # 10593

quote:
Twenty five Celsius is a very warm summer in Europe, you're probably used to that Deutsche cold.

Early morning is worst, I took a shower then walked around for a bit in a tee shirt & shorts, my nipples felt like diamond tipped drills.

No, it has nothing to do with being used to German summers. Even after spending several summers in Egypt I would still feel the same. And I tend to get hot faster than many other people, including Germans, unfortunately. I also sweat much more than others when doing sports or dancing, for example.
[Frown]

I do agree that it's chilly in the morning and evening though. And I've never been as cold as much as in winter in Cairo, because of the non-heating and architectural problems mentioned above. I wear woollen socks and Norwegian sweaters in Cairo in winter, and I also use a hot water bottle.

In Germany I have central heating with gas in my house, and I've also wondered why they don't use that in Egypt because gas is available in many houses and it's a very convenient way to heat ... when I come home I switch on the central switch and the place is cozy and warm within ten minutes.

VanillaBullshit
Member # 10873

I have that problem as well, I literally sweat buckets during summer, more than anyone I know.

I have to admit I prefer winters to sweltering hot weather.

--------------------

jean_bean
Member # 13715

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for jean_bean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
speaking of construction here....have ya noticed, that you can be freezing your butt off inside the apt, and then go outside, and its nice and warm?
weird huh?

and I have a sweatshirt, and big fluffy slippers on. Quite the fashion statement !

Posts: 1103 | From: 6th of October | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mysticheart
Member # 6838

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for mysticheart   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well i will be darn if i freeze in egypt this time, i am bringing heavy clothes and people will be lucky if they can see me under all of them hahahahaha. Flat has about 7 blankets in it, all heavy and guaranteed every single one of them will be on our bed.

--------------------
http://image.lafemmebonita.com/c/av879029.jpg

Posts: 2410 | From: Indiana, USA | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
of_gold
Member # 13418

Icon 1 posted      Profile for of_gold     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I never would of guessed that you would be freezing in Egypt.

We have had a lovely day here in Texas. [Big Grin] Light jacket weather, sun shining and a little nippy. I prefer heat to cold. I could hibernate in the winter. Fortunately the cold doesn't last too long here.

--------------------
"Not everything that counts can be counted, and not everything that can be counted counts." (Sign hanging in Einstein's office at Princeton)
Leap and the Net will Appear.

Posts: 3891 | From: No good deed goes unpunished. | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cbrbddd
Member # 3891

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for cbrbddd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Right, but the weather is changing . . . and what about all the cold rain during T'day weekend???

I like it a bit colder than hot . . . this place fries in the summer and doesn't cool down at night like it does in Egypt.

I like to visit Egypt in the cooler months, but I haven't been in ovember/December/January . . . so I guess I can't say that I've been in the coldest months, LOL!!!

--------------------
I fell in to a burning ring of fire . . .

Posts: 895 | From: NorthTexas, USA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seabreeze
Member # 10289

Icon 1 posted      Profile for seabreeze     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Layer up VB, wear socks and drink warm beverages these days until you absolutely MUST turn on the heater. I don't turn on the heater until I can no longer stand it. [Big Grin] My daughter looks like that little kid on A CHRISTMAS STORY, she can't put her arms down. [Razz]

Jean Bean, when it gets like that it is definitely time to open the windows! [Wink] [Razz]

Posts: 13440 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com