EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Living in Egypt » For Oldbag

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: For Oldbag
Member # 11766

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ..     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Writers needed

If you have a unique experience, story or adventure here in Egypt to share with us and our readers, we would love to hear from you and get you involved in our monthly publication. For more information please contact dina@livinginegypt.org

http://www.livinginegypt.org/CSAResources/CSAmagazine/CustomsCulture/tabid/498/Default.aspx

Go on, give it a go! I have been reading your experiences and laugh a lot.

Posts: 854 | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
An Exercise in Futility
Member # 9889

Icon 1 posted      Profile for An Exercise in Futility         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks SMMDI I will [Big Grin]
Posts: 5593 | From: Egypt | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
_
Member # 3567

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for _     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Actually Oldbag needs to publish a book about all her adventures!! [Wink]
Posts: 30135 | From: The owner of this website killed ES....... | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Korvin's
Member # 14099

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Korvin's     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
WOW CSA [Smile]
Posts: 890 | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lovingmylife
Member # 13695

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lovingmylife     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This topic is a private message specifically aimed at one member.

Why are we having personal messages to specific member posted as brand new topic here ?

Posts: 1039 | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rumicrazieluv
Member # 12053

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rumicrazieluv     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by lovingmylife:
Why are we having personal messages to specific member posted as new topic here?

Are you going to start your crap again [Roll Eyes] . Sometimes it is more interesting to hear about other members than to read the stupid topics you start that are the same thing OVER AND OVER.

This is not a private message, go back and read it!!

Posts: 1121 | From: Too crazy to look at a freakin map to find out.. | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
young at heart
Member # 10365

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for young at heart     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Because she is allowed. You are not in charge of ES, although you like to think you are! I think it's a good post. And hopefully people will submit there stories.
Posts: 4476 | From: Scotland | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lovingmylife
Member # 13695

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lovingmylife     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If everyone posts their private messages here then what's the point of having personal message service?

This is not your email account.

Posts: 1039 | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alchemist
Member # 12318

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Alchemist     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I love to hear about Oldbag's adventures in Cairo, if she wrote a book I would definitely buy it. [Smile]
Posts: 1879 | From: Going to Graceland | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
An Exercise in Futility
Member # 9889

Icon 1 posted      Profile for An Exercise in Futility         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hm. Well perhaps while SMMDI addressed it to me because I tend to write my adventures on here, it may be something of interest to others on the forum as well who SMMDI may not really be aware of.

There's actually nothing to stop anyone who is interested in writing contacting the email address given. If the link had just been PMd to me, noone else would have the opportunity.

Posts: 5593 | From: Egypt | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
young at heart
Member # 10365

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for young at heart     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Most people here are far from uncivilised, that is quite an insult actually. You can not control this forum, if you feel the need then start your own! While I have totally agreed that personal insults should not be allowed, I do feel people should be allowed to post topics they feel are important to them.
Posts: 4476 | From: Scotland | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lovingmylife
Member # 13695

Then the title of the topic should not be aimed at one specific member.

The title of the topic should have been related to issue in the link provided, and expressed inclusion of all members interested.

Otherwise it's a personal message.

young at heart
Member # 10365

Rate Member
So you want to split hairs [Confused] I'm sorry but you need to lighten up regarding this forum. Does it really matter eh nooooooooooooo!
Rumicrazieluv
Member # 12053

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rumicrazieluv     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Then the title of the topic should not be aimed at one specific member.

The title of the topic should have been related to issue in the link provided, and expressed inclusion of all members interested.

Otherwise it's a personal message.

Still upset because daila got the best of you??? Your name really needs to be Ineed2getaLIFe!!

Do you ever have anything interesting to say?? That is the topic of the post-interesting stories and tales regarding expiriences in egypt. Since you obviously have none, then please exit this thread or you will be deleted.

Posts: 1121 | From: Too crazy to look at a freakin map to find out.. | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lovingmylife
Member # 13695

Folks who have tendencies to post personal messages here and use this place as personal email account - need to have respect for remaining 10 000+ other members and viewers.

If you have personal message aimed at specific member please send private message or email specific member.

If you have topic for disscussion that is relevat to living in Egypt aimed at visitors of entire message board then title the topic with issue and let the debate flow.

I am not targeting this topic we just got to start from somewhere.

young at heart
Member # 10365

Rate Member
This forum is for anybody to post what they want within reason. Where were you when all the s**t was going on! Now you are nit picking over nothing. I feel that we don't need to be pulled up for every thread ie, you can't post this here or that should be posted there! There has to be a sense of realism!
Vader-
Member # 14189

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Vader-   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oldbag's experiences are from someone who actually LIVES IN EGYPT. That makes it relevant to the topic LIVING IN EGYPT.

What do you have to add to the forums ?

Posts: 6335 | From: Straight to my heart. | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Makbeta
Member # 14401

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Makbeta     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
This topic is a private message specifically aimed at one member.

Why are we having personal messages to specific member posted as brand new topic here ?

Why are ES members asked about their remuneration and level of education? [Roll Eyes]
Posts: 2807 | From: Europe | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
young at heart
Member # 10365

Rate Member
So true Makbeta. Good question!
lovingmylife
Member # 13695

Oldbag's experience is valuable.

The place got better but it still needs lots of improvement.

ES is not a private email account or MSN messanger.

It's the public message board made for disscussions of topics that include relevant issues to Egypt in appropriate forums.

People got to start using this place for what it was made for, not simply for personal correspondance for example.

Makbeta
Member # 14401

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Makbeta     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I found Oldbag's experiences posted HERE very interesting. Full stop.

Your threads LML are rather dull. Sorry.

Posts: 2807 | From: Europe | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chef Mick
Member # 11209

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Chef Mick     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Oldbag's experience is valuable.

The place got better but it still needs lots of improvement.

ES is not a private email account or MSN messanger.

It's the public message board made for disscussions of topics that include relevant issues to Egypt in appropriate forums.

People got to start using this place for what it was made for, not simply for personal correspondance for example.

died and made you boss [Roll Eyes] [Roll Eyes] [Confused]
Posts: 9443 | From: USA...... | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
young at heart
Member # 10365

Rate Member
That is what people are doing. In whatever manner. I repeat you don't own ES so let people do there thing!
Former ES Member and Moving Away
Member # 10626

Icon 3 posted      Profile for Former ES Member and Moving Away     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Makbeta:
I found Oldbag's experiences posted HERE very interesting. Full stop.

Your threads LML are rather dull. Sorry.

[Cool]
Posts: 820 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lovingmylife
Member # 13695

quote:
Originally posted by Makbeta:
Why are ES members asked about their remuneration and level of education? [Roll Eyes]

Have you graduated from 4 year college?

Surveys and polls are important and part of our daily life.

People who want to sign up to this message board do ask who are the members?

Are members people who have knowledge and experience, education and credibility ? Or are members folks who are killing their time here chit-chating using the message board as MSN messanger or personal email account?

This is what makes one message board reputable and appealing more than other.

It only shows the facts, and makes it clear for the interested parties with whom to debate, and who has credibility to provide help and factual information, as well as the highest level of education on this message board.

Makbeta
Member # 14401

Rate Member
LML How about your level of education? Are you American or British? I don't think so.
young at heart
Member # 10365

Rate Member
Whether someone is university educated or not, does not make them a better or worse person.We all can contribute here. I think your views LML are soooooooooooo wrong.
lovingmylife
Member # 13695

Make a poll on American/British question and I as everyone else would be more than happy to respond.

That is definitely more benefitial than tendencies you have had in the past. ( for Makbeta )

Chef Mick
Member # 11209

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Chef Mick     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by young at heart:
Whether someone is university educated or not, does not make them a better or worse person.We all can contribute here. I think your views LML are soooooooooooo wrong.

like i said who died and made LML boss. i thought this was a public forum and we could do whatever we wanted within reason. [Roll Eyes] no more polls please [Big Grin]
Posts: 9443 | From: USA...... | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Member # 10626

Icon 3 posted      Profile for Former ES Member and Moving Away     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The problem with relying too much on statistics and polls is that information can be easily manipulated and readily falsified. It is not in anyone's best interest to take these too seriously. I should know-I work with statistical reasoning every single day as part of my career. And I am an extremely well-educated and well-informed individual.
Posts: 820 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
young at heart
Member # 10365

Rate Member
No polls needed. Just let ES be!
lovingmylife
Member # 13695

quote:
The problem with relying too much on statistics and polls is that information can be easily manipulated and readily falsified.
That is true partially. Polls here are often invalid due to lack of integrity of some members.

That doesn't mean surveys and polls can't tell you the general idea.

On message boards with higher level of education questioning existance of surveys is not so common.

Chef Mick
Member # 11209

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by young at heart:
No polls needed. Just let ES be!

here here i agree [Smile]
Member # 10626

quote:
That is true partially. Polls here are often invalid due to lack of integrity of some members.
( for the Formerly )

There is more often fiction to these polls then fact. In my observations of these polls, the objective statements and choices seem rather slanted to create an imbalance. If you want to get a more accurate view, it is better to present for all sides and not a specific demographic. There are a wide-range of individuals here and it isn't entirely possible to narrow them all down, unless you're looking to get at the micro level for some purpose. And what better place to find falsifications and subterfuges then ES? The reliance of some ES members to maintain integrity is questionable and so creates an even more static field.

Besides, in the essence of the original topic, I find Oldbag's adventures to be quite charming and rather fascinating and her contributions are more then welcome by most everyone. [Smile]

young at heart
Member # 10365

Rate Member
Loving my life, just get a life!
lovingmylife
Member # 13695

We have poll options available on ES message board service to make polls. It's anonymous and will remain so.

While we are talking of creating better place I would suggest all of you to click at least a couple of times on advertisement available on the sides daily because you are all getting message board privileges for free.

And again, no personal messages as topics please. Use your private message service for that.

Chef Mick
Member # 11209

Rate Member
quote:
We have poll options available on ES message board service to make polls. It's anonymous and will remain so.

While we are talking of creating better place I would suggest all of you to click at least a couple of times on advertisement available on the sides daily because you are all getting message board privileges for free.

And again, no personal messages as topics please.

SIR NO SIR [Big Grin]
Member # 10626

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Former ES Member and Moving Away     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Talk about obsessing....yeesh!!! [Roll Eyes] [Roll Eyes]
foreignluvr
Member # 5854

Icon 1 posted      Profile for foreignluvr     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

And again, no personal messages as topics please. Use your private message service for that.

Thanks for reminding us of this ms moderator! [Roll Eyes] [Razz]
Posts: 895 | From: Atlanta, GA. | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jean_bean
Member # 13715

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for jean_bean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
well, to get back to the original subject, I thank SMMDI for informing us all that CSI has this opportunity for people to get their stores about living in Egypt, published, and I think that it is valuable information for anyone that might have been thinking about doing something like that. And I love OB's stories about her adventures, and since OB is the one that puts her stories out there for all of us to enjoy, and to live vicariously thru her adventures,I think that SMMDI addressing the topic specifically to her was most appropriate, since OB is the one that writes her adventures on here the most. And like it was brought up by someone, that if SMMDI, had just did a pm, then no one else would be aware of this opportunity, and I thank her for it.
I just might try and put something together myself.

geeeeeezzz...whats the problem !! [Confused]

Posts: 1103 | From: 6th of October | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
advocate
Member # 13367

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for advocate     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I see not alot has changed since I was away!! [Confused]

I specifically found the adventure of "OB and the man eating sand mound" interesting, although I think if she shouted "bossa bossa" from the onset she would not have sunk so quickly!! [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

At least if that happens to any of us in the future we will know what to do! [Smile]

Posts: 1917 | From: WALES | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
advocate
Member # 13367

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for advocate     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
[Big Grin] Sorry should have said "woman-eating" [Wink]
Posts: 1917 | From: WALES | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Questionmarks
Member # 12336

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Questionmarks     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Formerly a Lackey,and Moving On Up:
The problem with relying too much on statistics and polls is that information can be easily manipulated and readily falsified. It is not in anyone's best interest to take these too seriously. I should know-I work with statistical reasoning every single day as part of my career. And I am an extremely well-educated and well-informed individual.

Statistics can give the result you'd like them to give, you only have to use the right questions...
I've once made a statistic to prove that, it was complete faultless and it gave a result that shouldn't be possible. Took me a complete afternoon to make it, but it is possible! You as an extremely well-educated and well-informed statistic devoloper should know... [Razz]

Posts: 7202 | From: EU | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Member # 10626

Icon 10 posted      Profile for Former ES Member and Moving Away     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
LOL! Using statistics and polls on ES is rather fruitless and a waste of time. The one who loves to use them here doesn't seem to get this fact. [Roll Eyes] [Big Grin] And my reference was based on ES and not so much to real-world situations. But, in reference to statistical analysis, you are right to an extent. It seems I should have clarified.... [Wink] [Razz]

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com