EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Living in Egypt » Slimming Clubs in Cairo

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Slimming Clubs in Cairo
An Exercise in Futility
Member # 9889

Icon 1 posted      Profile for An Exercise in Futility         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
After 2 weeks of my dad's cooking (cooking has always been the man's job in my family [Big Grin] ), I have turned into a total lard-bucket and have put on 5kg (after losing 3kg since I arrived in Egypt).

Is there anything like a Weightwatchers or something in Cairo to give me a boot up the wotsit?

Posts: 5593 | From: Egypt | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seabreeze
Member # 10289

Icon 1 posted      Profile for seabreeze     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
[Eek!] OUCH! Sounds painful! [Big Grin] [Razz]
Posts: 13440 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
newcomer
Member # 1056

Icon 1 posted      Profile for newcomer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just found that this organization has branches all over Cairo; something that is not just in Maadi for a change [Big Grin]

Curves is the largest fitness franchise in the world with 10,000 locations worldwide. Curves Clubs can be found in over 50 countries, including the United States, Canada, Europe, South America, The Caribbean, Mexico, Australia, New Zealand, South Africa, Japan, and we're still growing. We are the first fitness and weight loss facility dedicated to providing affordable, one-stop exercise and nutritional information for women.

Egypt
Cairo:
Heliopolis 1 Now Open
Maadi 1 and 2 Now Open
Mohandiseen 1 and 2 Now Open
Nasr City 1 Now Open
6th of October 1 - Palm Hills Now Open
6th of October 2 - Green Heights (Coming Soon)
Zamalek 1 (Coming Soon)

http://curvesme.com/about.asp

Posts: 4576 | From: Cairo | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Questionmarks
Member # 12336

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Questionmarks     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
3 times a week a practise from 30 minutes.
Franchise-organisation
Rather high class
Think there must be a large pricetag on it!

Just watch out for what you eat, walk instead of taking a taxi/bus, and the kilo's will dissappear again. Your father isn't around to feed you anymore, so consider it as temporary. [Smile]

--------------------
“Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing, there is a field. I will meet you there.”

Posts: 7202 | From: EU | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jean_bean
Member # 13715

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for jean_bean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
heard that Curves charges 2400 EGP per year from another group that I belong to.

and you already belong to that club - so you will be swimming again.

Posts: 1103 | From: 6th of October | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
_
Member # 3567

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for _     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Oldbag:
After 2 weeks of my dad's cooking (cooking has always been the man's job in my family [Big Grin] ),

I wish I had a dad like that!! [Big Grin]
Posts: 30135 | From: The owner of this website killed ES....... | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
advocate
Member # 13367

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for advocate     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just keep away from the Costa large hot chocolate with marshmallows....mmmmm [Razz]

.....well at least until I get back [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

Posts: 1917 | From: WALES | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
massenburg2008
Member # 14767

Icon 1 posted      Profile for massenburg2008         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Gold's Gym Egypt

650 locations worldwide
7 locations in Egypt

http://www.goldsgymegypt.com

Posts: 698 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dalia*
Member # 10593

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dalia*     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Gold's gym is crap and very expensive.
Posts: 3587 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jean_bean
Member # 13715

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for jean_bean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
oh Advocate - that sounds yummmmo.
my fave used to be the coffee, with cinnamon, and whipped cream, but maybe I have to expand my horizons, and be adventurous, and try one of those ! [Wink]

Posts: 1103 | From: 6th of October | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
VanillaBullshit
Member # 10873

Icon 1 posted      Profile for VanillaBullshit     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
After 2 weeks of my dad's cooking (cooking has always been the man's job in my family [Big Grin] ), I have turned into a total lard-bucket and have put on 5kg (after losing 3kg since I arrived in Egypt).

Is there anything like a Weightwatchers or something in Cairo to give me a boot up the wotsit?

Next time you come over it's strictly salad, no salad dressing for you!

[Big Grin]

Posts: 2404 | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Member # 14248

Icon 1 posted      Profile for *********     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bag,

are you crazy!

You dont need another membership....

We have membership to Dreamland so next week I will drag you to the pool and gym so I will strap you to the walking machine for an hour then we can get you into your burkhini and you can do 20 lengths of the pool and then nip over to the Hilton for 40 quids worth of chocolate bars!!! [Big Grin]

Posts: 3416 | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Member # 14248

Icon 1 posted      Profile for *********     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

Posts: 3416 | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
An Exercise in Futility
Member # 9889

Icon 1 posted      Profile for An Exercise in Futility         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hah - I did 10lengths of the icy cold Olympic sized pool today Haran - where were you (in fact - where was anyone else?) I thought you northerners were supposed to be hard, not like us soft southern pansies [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

Also lost 1kg between yesterday and today of the 5kg I put on in the past 2 weeks. Hopefully it will be all cleared off again before end of next week.

PS - by the way the point of Weightwatchers is a weekly ritual humiliation over the weighing scales to spur action rather than a club membership for exercising [Razz]

Posts: 5593 | From: Egypt | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vader-
Member # 14189

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Vader-   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
PS - by the way the point of Weightwatchers is a weekly ritual humiliation over the weighing scales to spur action rather than a club membership for exercising [Razz]

LOL! Doesn't sound like a hard job, you could always call me to tell your wait, and I'll call back to humiliate you. [Big Grin] Free [Razz] [Razz]

No, but seriously, ever heard of cutting weight ? or HIIT ? Those are two things you should look up if you are seriously wanting to lose weight (because both are tough, like real tough).

Posts: 6335 | From: Straight to my heart. | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
_
Member # 3567

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for _     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oldbag, did you ever watch the 'Fatfigthers' episodes of the *Little Britain* show??

PRICELESS!! [Big Grin] (Just received the third sequel.)

Marjorie Dawes is the terrifying leader of weight loss support group Fatfighters.

Every week, she mercilessly belittles and humiliates the group for being so, well, fat, while all the time oblivious to her own size, and desperately trying to conceal her compulsive consumption of biscuits, crisps and any other junk she can get her hands on.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/comedy/littlebritain/characters/marjorie.shtml

Posts: 30135 | From: The owner of this website killed ES....... | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
An Exercise in Futility
Member # 9889

quote:
Originally posted by Vader:
quote:

LOL! Doesn't sound like a hard job, you could always call me to tell your wait, and I'll call back to humiliate you. [Big Grin] Free [Razz] [Razz]

No, but seriously, ever heard of cutting weight ? or HIIT ? Those are two things you should look up if you are seriously wanting to lose weight (because both are tough, like real tough).

LOL, might do that Vader if my own motivation starts to fail once more [Roll Eyes]

What is 'cutting weight' and HIIT?

Member # 14248

quote:
Originally posted by Tigerlily:
Oldbag, did you ever watch the 'Fatfigthers' episodes of the *Little Britain* show??

Marjorie Dawes is the terrifying leader of weight loss support group Fatfighters.

Every week, she mercilessly belittles and humiliates the group for being so, well, fat, while all the time oblivious to her own size, and desperately trying to conceal her compulsive consumption of biscuits, crisps and any other junk she can get her hands on.

...dust...dust....low in fat? high in fat?

Dust.....come on folks dust, is it low in fat or high in fat?

Reply: high!

no you fool its low in fat, you can eat as much dust as you like......

sponge cake............low in fat? high in fat?....

[Big Grin]

Member # 14248

Baggie I was at Akbar Elyoum

it will take me a lifetime to recover! [Roll Eyes]

An Exercise in Futility
Member # 9889

quote:

Oh yes TL - (s)he's hilarious!
Vader-
Member # 14189

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Vader-   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Cutting weight is too complicated, and you need a coach.

HIIT is more simple.

Basically it is doing any exercise (swimming would be good) in a pattern like this

1- Warm up for two minutes.
2- Maximum performance for 1 minute (swimming as fast as you can, biking as fast as you can on an inclined road or whatever)
3- Cool down for two minutes.
4- Maximum effort for 1 minute.

Repeat that pattern till you are out of energery (which will happen VERY fast, trust me on that one), then cool down for 5 minutes.

The whole workout shouldn't take more than 15 minutes or so.

Posts: 6335 | From: Straight to my heart. | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
chantlove
Member # 14871

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for chantlove     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good luck, OB - i'm sure you'd lose again! If anyone fancy tennis, i'm looking for partner.
Posts: 52 | From: Cairo | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Desertgirl
Member # 12450

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Desertgirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It is easy to lose 2 or 3 kilos in 1 or 2 weeks.
Make fresh soup for 3 days.
First day you eat all kinds of fruits except bananas. Each time you get hungry, you eat soup. (not accompanied by bread)

Second day you can eat salads (olives, tomatoes, beans, etc) but no fruit. All vegetables are allowed except peas.
And lots of soup.

Third day you eat fruit, vegetables and soup.

Fourth day banana- milkshakes. (like 4 or 5 a day)

Then you can eat all you want again.

I always do this after Christmas holidays [Wink] [Wink] , I lose 2 kilos and that's ok.

Good luck [Smile] .

Posts: 2932 | From: Just now and then | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elegantly Wasted
Member # 8386

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Elegantly Wasted     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
^^^Cabbage soup diet! That's what I'm doing this week. However, my body can only take so much of the soup before it starts rejecting it. [Embarrassed] Next batch I'm making sans cabbage.
Posts: 2735 | From: my desk | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kalila : )
Member # 14517

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kalila : )         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
it took me just over 7 mnths to lose 20kgs , hard work determination ,focus and willpower, my friend amina says i looked better bigger at 80kgs, why do egyptian people especially the men ,think bigger is better?
and becos your bigger youre stronger lol. anyone? [Roll Eyes]

Posts: 3945 | From: ' Res Contr ' Amor non es guirens, lai on sos poders s'atura | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
An Exercise in Futility
Member # 9889

quote:
Originally posted by manx:
it took me just over 7 mnths to lose 20kgs , hard work determination ,focus and willpower, my friend amina says i looked better bigger at 80kgs, why do egyptian people especially the men ,think bigger is better?

Just so you know - if they say 'you are very beautiful you have strong body' it actually means you have big boobs [Big Grin]
Makbeta
Member # 14401

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Makbeta     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I once lost 18 kilos (in 6 months) - that's why I have small b.... today. [Frown]
Posts: 2807 | From: Europe | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dalia*
Member # 10593

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dalia*     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
if they say 'you are very beautiful you have strong body' it actually means you have big boobs [Big Grin]

[Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]
And if someone asks you whether you've gained weight it's meant as a compliment.

Posts: 3587 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sashyra8
Member # 14488

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sashyra8     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Makbeta:
I once lost 18 kilos (in 6 months) - that's why I have small b.... today. [Frown]

This is the lowdown of loosing some weight:loss of some boob,too. [Frown]
I kinda don't like this adverse effect.

Posts: 3833 | From: here,there,everywhere | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Makbeta
Member # 14401

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Makbeta     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I lost this 'excess' weight in my adolescent years. Peer pressure, you know. And I paid the price. Boobs. [Roll Eyes]
Posts: 2807 | From: Europe | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
_
Member # 3567

Rate Member
quote:

Thanks god for the Wonderbra!! [Wink]

Seriously I always had not much either. Cup A before marriage and now a Cup B after four children.

Vader-
Member # 14189

Member Rated:
You're getting there TL... Lol.
Makbeta
Member # 14401

Rate Member
Vader is not impressed! Shhhhhhht [Roll Eyes] [Big Grin]
_
Member # 3567

Rate Member
quote:

I just think many Egyptian men like to have a woman with some meat on it and feminine curves. Women who carry around more weight obviously look healthy and most of all fertile to these men IMO.
Vader-
Member # 14189

Member Rated:
quote:
quote:

I just think many Egyptian men like to have a woman with some meat on it and feminine curves. Women who carry around more weight obviously look healthy and most of all fertile to these men IMO.
Probably the generation from 40 + or so.
_
Member # 3567

Rate Member
Don't worry, Makbeta, I told Vader before there is not much for him to see! [Wink]

My mom has way more bust than I am so I guess it's genetics. Btw, there was a time when I dreamed of having more but not anymore. I have a friend who is the same age as I am and has a D cup. She's complaining about this size and thought few times to make a breast reduction. I remember in the past she had problems to talk to guys because they wouldn't look at her face but at her boobs. She felt very uncomfortable about this fact. Well now she's married and I guess she's okay with it.

Makbeta
Member # 14401

Rate Member
quote:
Don't worry, Makbeta, I told Vader before there is not much for him to see! [Wink]

My mom has way more bust than I am so I guess it's genetics. Btw, there was a time when I dreamed of having more but not anymore. I have a friend who is the same age as I am and has a D cup. She's complaining about this size and thought few times to make a breast reduction. I remember in the past she had problems to talk to guys because they wouldn't look at her face but at her boobs. She felt very uncomfortable about this fact. Well now she's married and I guess she's okay with it.

Yes. Anyway, I guess the grass is always greener on the other side of the fence. We always long for what we don't have, but it's not always as good as we expect it to be.
Vader-
Member # 14189

Member Rated:
quote:
quote:

Yes. Anyway, I guess the grass is always greener on the other side of the fence. We always long for what we don't have, but it's not always as good as we expect it to be.
Hmm, I've never longed for what I don't have... unless it's a Vmax. Lol.
Makbeta
Member # 14401

Rate Member
http://i31.tinypic.com/105cw42.jpg

There you go - like that ya Vadie? [Wink]

Vader-
Member # 14189

Member Rated:
Iz be good.
Dalia*
Member # 10593

I'd prefer a Suzuki Bandit. [Big Grin]
Vader-
Member # 14189

Member Rated:
You're a girl, I can't blame you. [Razz]
Dalia*
Member # 10593

Yeah, it seems that particular bike is quite popular with females. [Wink]
Desertgirl
Member # 12450

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Desertgirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
To Oldbag:

If possible, buy a trampoline. I know it sounds funny but I bought one (just 20 euros or so) and if you use it for 5 minutes every day, your thighs and bottom get firm.
Originally, I bought it for my kids. They can jump on it for 10-15 minutes without getting out of breath. I think I practise HIIT (see Vader) [Big Grin] on it cause I can't do it for more than 1 minute.
Then I rest 2 minutes and do it again.
I don't feel the need to mention my cup size here... lol... but always wear a sportsbra when jumping. [Wink] [Razz]
Anyway, I think it helps to burn some fat.

To Makbeta and Manx; impressive results, girls. [Smile]
To CP; good luck with the cabbage soup. It isn't that bad... actually I think the soup is quite delicious.

Posts: 2932 | From: Just now and then | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kalila : )
Member # 14517

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kalila : )         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
cheers deserygirl! yep my boobs are gone which is a plus for me cos i hate em lol. tho vader they are not fried eggs yet!! [Big Grin] [Wink]
Posts: 3945 | From: ' Res Contr ' Amor non es guirens, lai on sos poders s'atura | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
_
Member # 3567

Rate Member
[Razz]
Elegantly Wasted
Member # 8386

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Elegantly Wasted     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I also lost some of my "boobs" when I lost a large bit of weight a couple years ago. I really miss them. [Frown]

DG...I like the taste of the soup but the soup doesn't like me. [Frown]

Posts: 2735 | From: my desk | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vader-
Member # 14189

Member Rated:
LOL @ Oldbag on a trampoline...xD
Makbeta
Member # 14401

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by desertgirl:
To Makbeta and Manx; impressive results, girls. [Smile]

Thanks DG. [Smile]

The thing is I must still pay a lot of attention to my weight. I like sweets (I eat chocolate the same way I eat bread [Roll Eyes] ) and I have rather irregular meals because of my job. It's not good for the figure, not to mention digestion (IBS and so on).

I must say I've never followed any particular diet for a prolonged period of time. Why? Giving up some foods would be sheer torture for me (unless I really have to one day, touch wood). What I do instead is trying hard to eat whatever I feel like but in moderation (that's hard - yes!), and exercise for at least 30 minutes daily - swimming or my stationary bike are among my favourites - at least I can watch TV with the latter [Big Grin] .

Hmmmm.. How do they call it in all the how-to-lose-your-weight books? "The lack of athletically trained muscle is at the root of it all".

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com