EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Living in Egypt » WHAT DO YOU HATE/LOVE ABOUT WHERE YOU ARE? (Page 5)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   
Author Topic: WHAT DO YOU HATE/LOVE ABOUT WHERE YOU ARE?
Ford Prefect (not perfect)
Member # 9338

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ford Prefect (not perfect)   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What I miss about egypt:

* My wife of course
* Family and friends that are just like family.
* How social everyone is, our doorman was very sad when I left. I miss him and his family too.
* The children. anywhere in egypt. Mainly playing outside our flat, or at the restaurants we went to. How everyone gets involved even if they dont know them [Big Grin]
* The crazy driving. Yes I miss it.. people in USA will sit at a red light for 10 minutes at 3am when there is NO soul around... oops myabe thats for a different list.
* Egyptian TV
* Going for a drive with my wife on the weekend up the corniche, and around ring road, watching the sunset on our way home while listening to good music.

What I like about USA:

* It's quiet (where I am at).
* Air is always clean, good for star gazing with the telescope.
* Flying my plane.
* The lush rolling landscape, green, and trees
* The weather, if you dont like it here wait 5 minutes it will change.
* We get the extremes of all four seasons in Kansas... almost as hot as Cairo in the summer, and cold as Canada in the winter.
* Freedom to do about anything you want (legally) without everyone crawling up in your business.
* Stable, fast, cheap internet.
* Ease of shopping and availibilty for quality technical parts, or tools.

What I dont like about USA:

* Wife is not here (yet).
* Retarded govt. People for letting the govt get retarded. heh
* The only thing the majority of people seem to do for fun is drink. The minority are all inside posting on the internet like I am [Big Grin]
* No Spontaneity. My friends enjoy going flying with me, but are normally too busy playing WoW or drinking to go, or even worse... the soccer mom schedule LOL. Odd, I would jump at the offer to get out of the house.
* Everything seems like it's a dog and pony show anymore... the TV especially... too commercialized, melodramatic, fake.
* Everything is so dumbed down anymore. Lack of independent thinking in the masses.
* Lots of people living in fear of just about anything, or just plain oblivious.

But really, is there a perfect place? Home is where the heart is I guess, mine is still in Egypt. The bad stuff, regardless of where, seems to fade away when the heart is happy, I hope mine will be near me again soon [Wink]

Posts: 409 | From: Betelgeuse | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seabreeze
Member # 10289

Icon 1 posted      Profile for seabreeze     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Great lists you two! It's nice to get the other side, others perspectives. [Wink]
Posts: 13440 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
'Shahrazat
Member # 12769

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 'Shahrazat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What I hate about my city in Turkey;
- Summers are sometimes as hot as Luxor and almost 80% humidity... Impossible to sit and sleep without AC's. And one of the most expensive electricity charges in the world.

- Slight distinction between Syrian Arabs and Turks. Some Turks try to not buy from an Arap merchant and some Araps do the same.

- Rude people spitting to the ground.

- Eating and drinking people during Ramadan. In my city almost half of the population never fasts.

- Exaggerated celebrations when a football match is won and when a young boy joining the army.

- Being a dead city in summers as people leave for their summer residences on Taurus Mountains and Meditarenean Coasts. So too much thieves around [Smile]

- Municiplity [Mad]
They bought cheap palm trees from Egypt 2 years ago and lots of red palm tree insects arrived by this way and they killed almost all old palm trees in the city. (by the way Egypt received it from date palms, imported from Saudi A.)

Example:
http://i30.tinypic.com/20zoc5v.jpg[/IMG]]web page

What I love;
- Fluent traffic (the population is almost 2 million)
- One of the most fertile lands in middle east so finding vegetables and fruits is easy and cheap
- Walking and making picnic in the forest around the dam lake and the green river
- Seeing all kinds of people on the streets... with hijabs, with shorts etc..
- Finding the most famous fashion brands and paying by up to 12 months cc instalments with the same price. [Smile] Also buying fashionable things with good quality and cheap price
- And... most delicious and famous Kebab of Turkey, which is forbidden to cook without patent issued by the Chamber of Trade [Smile]

Posts: 2591 | From: **Ex Oriente Lux** | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Makbeta
Member # 14401

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Makbeta     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The palm trees (the place looks nice) [Wink]
http://i30.tinypic.com/20zoc5v.jpg

Posts: 2807 | From: Europe | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tilutine
Member # 12661

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tilutine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What I love about Egypt:
- Friendly people, always there when you need them, and never expecting anything in exchange.
- As a woman, feeling totally welcomed by other women in their home, sharing their problems and happy times.
- Time is not as stressful as it is here. I have the feeling you days are longer in Egypt.
- Never felt in danger, always someone ready to help you.
- The Egyptian humor!

Posts: 78 | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ford Prefect (not perfect)
Member # 9338

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ford Prefect (not perfect)   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Tilutine:
What I love about Egypt:
- Friendly people, always there when you need them, and never expecting anything in exchange.
- As a woman, feeling totally welcomed by other women in their home, sharing their problems and happy times.
- Time is not as stressful as it is here. I have the feeling you days are longer in Egypt.
- Never felt in danger, always someone ready to help you.
- The Egyptian humor!

YES the egyptian hospitality and humor is something I like and miss too. We were looking for a vodafone shop one day, we asked one the the guys parking cars on the street where it was. He said "clap you hands and I will tell you". So we clapped our hands and he pointed to across the street heheh
Posts: 409 | From: Betelgeuse | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tibe still working
Member # 16647

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tibe still working   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by * 7ayat *:
My god, the thread was about what you liked and hated about Egypt, and everyone is going on about the negative. Typical ES.

Poeple if you don't like it, espcially Mr Jean Bean I'm in my hate Egypt mode LEAVVVVVVVVVVVVE. The Egyptian people would love to get the job that suckers like you get because Egyptians employers have the bloody 3o2det el Khawaga and prefer loser expats who are usually nothing in their country.

And before you guys jump down my throat, I KNOW that Egypt is dirty, unorganisd, slow, and there's harrasment and a million other things, but you people just lllllllllluvvvvvvvve looking down your stupid western noses at us. How many people here have no ties to Egypt whatsoever and yet Choose to live there and whinge about it all the time Especially infront of the Egyptian people? ghoooooooroooooooooo

I'm sorry I hijacked your thread smuckers, but alot of the Expats in Egypt SUCK.

OOOMMMGGGG y once said suck [Eek!] [Eek!] [Big Grin] [Eek!]

HOW INSULTING!!!!!

If y love Egypt so much why dont y move home then???? [Confused]

Posts: 1325 | From: For tooti http://www.csa.gov.uk/ | Registered: May 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ayisha
Member # 4713

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ayisha     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
oooh I better not post in this thread at the moment [Big Grin]

--------------------
If you don't learn from your mistakes, there's no sense making them.

Posts: 15090 | From: http://www.egyptalk.com/forum/ | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tibe still working
Member # 16647

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tibe still working   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ayisha:

Write a book about it [Big Grin]

I can hear nothing has changed for the better lately [Confused]

Posts: 1325 | From: For tooti http://www.csa.gov.uk/ | Registered: May 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sashyra8
Member # 14488

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sashyra8     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

*pushes Ayisha back to thread and stomps into her feet*
Posts: 3833 | From: here,there,everywhere | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kalila : )
Member # 14517

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kalila : )         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sashyra8:
quote:

*pushes Ayisha back to thread and stomps into her feet*
Now now no violence Sashy [Big Grin] Leave Granny alone [Wink]
Posts: 3945 | From: ' Res Contr ' Amor non es guirens, lai on sos poders s'atura | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ayisha
Member # 4713

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ayisha     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
thank you kalila, glad someone will stick up for an old lady in here against that bully sashy [Frown]

Tibe its getting worse!! *mumble mumble groan moan* [Frown]

--------------------

Posts: 15090 | From: http://www.egyptalk.com/forum/ | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Member # 14517

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kalila : )         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sorry haven't been here for a while so have not read any threads same old bullsh1t then ?
Posts: 3945 | From: ' Res Contr ' Amor non es guirens, lai on sos poders s'atura | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ayisha
Member # 4713

Member Rated:
yep same old same old, but the getting worse is my 'experiences' here as you already know about [Big Grin]

*mumble moan klefty asswipes mumble moan*

--------------------

Member # 14517

Rate Member
quote:
yep same old same old, but the getting worse is my 'experiences' here as you already know about [Big Grin]

*mumble moan klefty asswipes mumble moan*

[Wink] [Big Grin]
caitlin
Member # 16803

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for caitlin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
sorry to say this but egypt lovely place,

people a bit overly friendly,

but what i hate about egypt is the population that circumcise the woman fgm,
i can not understand how people can go and know places like aswan, it rife and not feel sorry for them, i know woman that have had it done at 4 yrs and no pain relief.

Posts: 223 | From: london | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
messenger
Member # 15059

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for messenger         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't know what people wrote in this thread but just this morning I was thinking of how wrong I must be about Egyptians in general. I've been meeting way too many Egyptians with their own version of morality and justice. The disturbing part is some of the people I know and respected, turned out to have exceptions to their moral values. It is very disturbing indeed!

On a separate note, the new opera browser is amazing [Big Grin]

Posts: 406 | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com