EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Living in Egypt » Do you know how to solve the food crisis in Egypt?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Do you know how to solve the food crisis in Egypt?
_
Member # 3567

Rate Member
Icon 5 posted      Profile for _     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
'Worried' Egypt PM appeals for help to ease price hikes

15 hours ago

CAIRO (AFP) — Egyptian Prime Minister Ahmed Nazif has urged anyone who can resolve the nationwide problem of price rises to come forward with ideas, the official MENA news agency reported on Monday.

Nazif said he was "worried" about price hikes of food, building materials and an inflation rate which reached 15.8 percent in March, in an interview with the ruling National Democratic Party's mouthpiece Al-Watani al-Youm, carried by MENA.

"Anyone who has a solution in this area is urged to come forward," Nazif said.

He said the government has taken measures to curb inflation including raising salaries, reducing customs and banning exports of staple commodities.

The premier also said President Hosni Mubarak had asked that all Egyptians receive a 15 percent salary raise, without elaborating.

Egypt has been rocked by a wave of protests against skyrocketing prices in recent months.

The price of cereals and bread has leapt by nearly 50 percent over the past year, according to official figures.

The price of cooking oil rose by 45.2 percent while foodstuffs generally rose by an average of 23.5 percent.

Economic reforms launched by Nazif's government that have yielded a seven-percent annual growth rate in the past three years have failed to trickle down.

A wave of recent protests, including by tax collectors, doctors, teachers and workers, is seen as potentially the most serious challenge to Mubarak's regime.

http://afp.google.com/article/ALeqM5iGgZKPeg3Xy7OWSpBuSQlp4Cz5fQ

Posts: 30135 | From: The owner of this website killed ES....... | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Questionmarks
Member # 12336

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Questionmarks     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In a week another demonstration is planned, and people are afraid for what will happen.
This isn't a national problem, it is the result of a world-wide shortage of food. The most vulnarable countries are facing the effects earlier as rich countries, so that is why the social unrest still is limited to a few countries. In Europe prices are influenced by market-policies, so the big players on the market still keep the prices on a steady level.

--------------------
“Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing, there is a field. I will meet you there.”

Posts: 7202 | From: EU | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Member # 14248

Icon 1 posted      Profile for *********     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Tackle migration from UE to the north.

Extend water out to the desert and increase agriculture.

Bring in policy of 2 children.

Bring in a European police commisioner to start some sort of training programme for the police.

Send Mr Mubarak and Sons Ltd to Tahiti on a one way ticket.

Tip out the parliament building and bring in Richard Branson as PM.

Have a Facebook election where everyone can register to vote online for a new parliament and a list of uncorrupt, clever, professional, forward thinking people to choose from.

Make Sheikh Mohammed Bin Rashid Al Maktoum king of Egypt.

Thats what we can plan for tomorrow.......

Posts: 3416 | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jean_bean
Member # 13715

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for jean_bean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Stupid idea...maybe.
Out here in 6th of October, or at least in MY section of 6th of October, there are areas that are designated as "green areas". Also in my area, there are tons of workers (construction), and bowab families.
Why not section off small parts of these areas to the families, and have them turn them into veggie gardens...kinda like a co-op idea?
I had been thinking of turning a small part of our own garden into a veggie garden, but me and hubby can only eat so many tomatoes...and was thinking of getting our bowab and his family involved in the gardening process - and share it with them.
I know that it ain't a BIG idea...but every little bit helps. no?

Posts: 1103 | From: 6th of October | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
_
Member # 3567

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for _     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ?????:
In a week another demonstration is planned, and people are afraid for what will happen.
This isn't a national problem, it is the result of a world-wide shortage of food. The most vulnarable countries are facing the effects earlier as rich countries, so that is why the social unrest still is limited to a few countries. In Europe prices are influenced by market-policies, so the big players on the market still keep the prices on a steady level.

I agree with what you said be also we feel the price increases - especially for basic food items like bread, milk, noodles etc.
Posts: 30135 | From: The owner of this website killed ES....... | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
_
Member # 3567

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for _     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by harankash:

Send Mr Mubarak and Sons Ltd to Tahiti on a one way ticket.

Make it Haiti. Let them really see what starving is like. [Frown]

Otherwise wonderful suggestions!! [Big Grin]

_
Member # 3567

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by jean_bean:
Stupid idea...maybe.
Out here in 6th of October, or at least in MY section of 6th of October, there are areas that are designated as "green areas". Also in my area, there are tons of workers (construction), and bowab families.
Why not section off small parts of these areas to the families, and have them turn them into veggie gardens...kinda like a co-op idea?
I had been thinking of turning a small part of our own garden into a veggie garden, but me and hubby can only eat so many tomatoes...and was thinking of getting our bowab and his family involved in the gardening process - and share it with them.
I know that it ain't a BIG idea...but every little bit helps. no?

Egypt’s plan to green its deserts stirs controversy

October 09, 2007 Tuesday Ramazan 26, 1428

http://www.dawn.com/2007/10/09/int16.htm

What do you mean by 'green areas', JB? Are you sure these grounds are not privately owned?

Questionmarks
Member # 12336

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Questionmarks     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Tigerlily:
quote:
Originally posted by ?????:

I agree with what you said be also we feel the price increases - especially for basic food items like bread, milk, noodles etc.
Really? We don't mention anything. The inflation is the same, so in fact it is just as cheap or expensive as it was.
Posts: 7202 | From: EU | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seabreeze
Member # 10289

Icon 1 posted      Profile for seabreeze     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
I'll 2nd that! [Wink]
Posts: 13440 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jean_bean
Member # 13715

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for jean_bean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
these areas are around me...and are designated as "no building" area....eventually will be grass, trees, etc.
so...why not veggies???
I have one right across the street from me.

Posts: 1103 | From: 6th of October | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Exiled
Member # 14410

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Exiled     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by With a name like Smuckers:
quote:
I'll 2nd that! [Wink]
It is easy and effortless to lead a nation that has a population of 5 million and of which only 750,000 are actual Emirati citizens. Oh and of course a per capita (GDP) that is $55,000 of which most is derived from Oil that foreign companies take out and simply hand the goverment billions of dollars ( 900 Billion is amassed). And a nation that does not have to worry about national defense as the US and UK take care of that part.

The question should be who is actually unqualified to lead the UAE, giving such tremendous resources?

Posts: 2418 | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
encrypted
Member # 13625

Icon 1 posted      Profile for encrypted         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"More than any time in history, mankind now faces a crossroads. One path leads to despair and utter hopelessness, the other to total extinction. Let us pray that we have the wisdom to choose correctly." -- Woody Allen
Posts: 147 | From: Auto's World | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pothead_Barbie
Member # 15091

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pothead_Barbie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
then they need to quit treating females like stupid idiots and teach them how to work and survive on their own...its all this dependant on a man **** thats turning yall country inside out...especially when yall know that there are more women in theis world than there are men!
u aint got enough people working and growing the economy!

Posts: 460 | From: philly | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com