EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Living in Egypt » Friday 23rd May - Arrangements

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Friday 23rd May - Arrangements
An Exercise in Futility
Member # 9889

Icon 1 posted      Profile for An Exercise in Futility         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just to separate them out!

(Be patient I'm going to construct the full details in stages [Big Grin] )

Part 1: 2pm in Maadi (Victory Park)
Part 2: 6pm in Tahrir (Nile Hilton Garden Cafe)
Part 3: ??? whoever is left whatever they want to do [Wink]

Posts: 5593 | From: Egypt | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
An Exercise in Futility
Member # 9889

Icon 1 posted      Profile for An Exercise in Futility         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Part 1: Maadi

(1) About 2pm in MAADI - meet at The Party In The Park (some may choose to come earlier to visit the various things going on). Entrance fee 20LE.

WHERE'S THAT: Friday 23rd May in Victory Park aka Cairo American Softball League Field. Between Midan Victory and The Maadi Grand Mall.

(Full details of the Party see the 'Next Cairo Meet thread - shan't reproduce here).

It is really close to all 3 Maadi stops but El Maadi being the nearest. 10 min walk from metro or quick taxi ride, now 5LE since petrol went up.

I will try and find a map to post up because it doesn't actual say Victory Park on either of mine.

Posts: 5593 | From: Egypt | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Makbeta
Member # 14401

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Makbeta     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Have a nice time, folks. Sadly I didn't meet any of you during my stay in Egypt. [Frown] But perhaps one day... [Wink]
Posts: 2807 | From: Europe | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kos-om EgyptSearch
Member # 15064

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kos-om EgyptSearch         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Shanta Qadeema:

i think everyone will be so tired to go on woth part 3:)
Posts: 504 | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
An Exercise in Futility
Member # 9889

http://i32.tinypic.com/nxow3b.jpg

Map of Maadi.

Please can someone say EXACTLY which square the entrance to the park is please and which road you have to go up to get there, starting from Midan Victory.

EG Midan Victory is in square L5.
El Maadi Metro station is in squareE4/5

Please don't say 'its obvious' after what happened before! LOL!

Dalia*
Member # 10593

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dalia*     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

Please can someone say EXACTLY which square the entrance to the park is please and which road you have to go up to get there, starting from Midan Victory.

You have to walk up road 250 in direction of the Grand Mall. The entrance is approximately where I drew the blue cross -- a very brief walk from the midan.

If you're in a taxi you should tell the driver Midan Victoria. And you can get away with paying 3 LE if you're lucky. [Wink]

Posts: 3587 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
An Exercise in Futility
Member # 9889

Brill! Thanks Dalia.
miffmiss
Member # 14978

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for miffmiss     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes i will be there. Not sure how long we can stay though. Where in the park are we meeting. Is there a stall or a land mark to look for.
Posts: 1710 | From: we come in peace | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
An Exercise in Futility
Member # 9889

Lets say the ESAF stall [Big Grin]
I have never been so I have no idea what other landmarks there may be.

An Exercise in Futility
Member # 9889

Can anyone give DRIVING directions say from both Tahrir, and for coming across Al Manyal (from Giza, along al Ruda) for the drivers amongst us! And without reference to maps for people who can't read maps.

(Not me I hasten to add!)

yorkshire rose
Member # 12072

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for yorkshire rose   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Have fun all.
I do wish i was going this time, but sadly i cant.
I hope i will meet more people in the future, and miffmiss give me a call when you arrive into Alex, we could do a picnic at the beach iff you like.:)

--------------------
Alison Faragalla

Posts: 4149 | From: Egypt | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
An Exercise in Futility
Member # 9889

If anyone is intending to come JUST to the Hilton bit, can you indicate on here please or in PM because otherwise that bit might get dropped!
miffmiss
Member # 14978

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for miffmiss     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yorkshire rose - picnic sounds great as long as we dont get sand in the sandwiches ha ha. Got you number and i will give you a call when i land in alex. Not sure if it will be friday night or saturday morning.

Aghhhh i am so excited. In 24 hours i will be at the airport waiting for my plane. ha ha I feel like a giddy kid on xmas eve.

Shanta ESAF sounds good i will see you there. Who else is coming as a matter of interest.

Posts: 1710 | From: we come in peace | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
An Exercise in Futility
Member # 9889

MiffMiss - don't ask who is coming - many people remain silent and decide on the day. At the last meet I think we had a total of 10-12 people but not all at the same time [Big Grin]
miffmiss
Member # 14978

Member Rated:
ha ha ok so it will be a fun surprise to see who comes then. I dont think i can do the hilton bit as everyone might want to get on the road to Alex to arrive on friday night.
Member # 11766

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ..     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

This sounds good!

Back to mine possibly before downtown? We will see what happens Friday.

Posts: 854 | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
chantlove
Member # 14871

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for chantlove     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for all the info, i'm new comer and hope to see you all [Smile]
Posts: 52 | From: Cairo | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dzosser
Member # 9572

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dzosser   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Can anyone give DRIVING directions say from both Tahrir, and for coming across Al Manyal (from Giza, along al Ruda)

From Tahrir: All the way down corniche then into Maadi degla direction till Satellite station then Maadi grand mall..then a 10 min. walk to Victoria college alongside the railway.
From Giza: Munib bridge then down the ramp going to corniche,enter Maadi as above..or don't take the first ramp onto corniche, instead take the Maadi ramp down the ring road coming from Munib bridge all the way down the autostrade till the Lasilki road to satellite station and then Maadi grand mall till Victoria college (KOLEYET EL NASR).
Good luck... [Wink]

Posts: 3219 | From: Wisdom comes with age, but sometimes age comes alone. | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jean_bean
Member # 13715

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for jean_bean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
am hoping to make it there, but think I am going early in the day - before it gets too darn hot !
hopefully I can hang around and see ya'll there.
If you see a blonde, melting in the sun - that would be me !
FYI.........
there is a nice place in Maadi, on Road 9 - called Club 55, that is shady, and has coffee, and drinks, and pretty good burgers, if anyone is looking for a place closer than the Nile Hilton.
Its right across the street from Lucille's.

Posts: 1103 | From: 6th of October | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Member # 11766

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ..     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Club 55 might be a bit pricy for some folk?
Posts: 854 | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jean_bean
Member # 13715

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for jean_bean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
maybe...I don't get to go to those places in Maadi much, so I just chalk it off to treating myself ! And I have only ever had a burger there, or a coffee, during the day. Saw the prices on the menu for dinner at night, and you are right...wayyy outrageous, and I walked out.
Posts: 1103 | From: 6th of October | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dzosser
Member # 9572

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dzosser   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Lucille's is said to have the best ever burger in town, can anyone confirm that ? how much for the meal? I wanna give it a try once, don't want to go all the way for nothing but a lousy burger [Big Grin]
Posts: 3219 | From: Wisdom comes with age, but sometimes age comes alone. | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jean_bean
Member # 13715

Member Rated:
oh yes....I LOVE Lucille's.
more than just the best one in town...think it might be the best I ever had anywhere !

think its like 40LE...burger with toppings, fries, coke.

Dzosser
Member # 9572

Rate Member
Gr8..will give it a shot JB, Thx [Cool]
Dalia*
Member # 10593

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dalia*     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by satanmademedoit:
Club 55 might be a bit pricy for some folk?

The food is very pricey but I don't think the drinks are more expensive than at the Nile Hilton café.
I've only been there once, thought the food really sucked, but it's definitely a nice place to hang out. The garden is lovely.

http://www.egypttoday.com/article.aspx?ArticleID=7413

Posts: 3587 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
An Exercise in Futility
Member # 9889

bump - I'm not going to look anymore before the event, so see some of you tomorrow, isa
yorkshire rose
Member # 12072

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for yorkshire rose   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Folks enjoy tommorrow, im god dam jealous, i wish i was going really sounds a great day, oh maybe in the future, iff things buck up for me.
Have fun and a glass for me.

--------------------
Alison Faragalla

Posts: 4149 | From: Egypt | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
advocate
Member # 13367

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for advocate     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey Guys and Gals! Have a fab time at the Meet today, I am soo envious, maybe another can be arranged for when I visit in July as there are always lots of comings and goings to Egypt throughout the year and different people arrive at different times for different reasons. [Smile]
Posts: 1917 | From: WALES | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
_
Member # 3567

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for _     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey, I hope you all have a good time tonight!! [Wink]
Posts: 30135 | From: The owner of this website killed ES....... | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dzosser
Member # 9572

Rate Member
SQ..what was it like ? [Smile]
Sashyra8
Member # 14488

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sashyra8     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Dzosser:
SQ..what was it like ? [Smile]

Seems they are still asleep.....shhhhhh! [Big Grin]
Posts: 3833 | From: here,there,everywhere | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
_
Member # 3567

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for _     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Maybe they are still busy with each other. [Wink] Wonder who showed up this time!
Posts: 30135 | From: The owner of this website killed ES....... | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pressure makes diamonds
Member # 14028

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pressure makes diamonds     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
maybe they dont wanna share [Big Grin]

--------------------
Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Teach him how to fish and you get rid of him all weekend.
-- Zenna Schaffer
Some folks are wise and some otherwise.
-- Josh Billings

Posts: 1499 | From: Dark Side of the Moon | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
An Exercise in Futility
Member # 9889

Well it was a very pleasant day. About 8 ESers plus assorted husbands, children, mothers etc showed up over the day, plus a few people from the 6Oct group who don't 'do' ES. We never got to the Nile Hilton [Big Grin]
Anyway, I got home 1.15am.

I did get very dehydrated and started feeling quite ill about 10pm, but after lots of sleep and water today felt ok about 6pm tonight then went to see my baby girl cat in 'hospital'. It is getting hot people so please make sure you drink lots of water when you are out.

There are no photos by the way - if you weren't there, you are the proverbial square [Big Grin]

miffmiss
Member # 14978

Member Rated:
I cant beleive i didnt get any photos of anyone from ES. I had my camara in my bag as well. I am so dosey at times. Well it was lovely to meet you all and nice to get some insider information on Egyptian life.
jean_bean
Member # 13715

Member Rated:
well I had a great time, and got to see a ton of people from ES and a bunch from other groups.
was fun blabbing away

chantlove
Member # 14871

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for chantlove     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
we had a great time too, thanks B - must say didn't expect to bump into you yday jean
Posts: 52 | From: Cairo | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jean_bean
Member # 13715

Member Rated:
i know - that was such a nice surprise !

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com