EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Living in Egypt » An Inconvenient Truth

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: An Inconvenient Truth
chantlove
Member # 14871

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for chantlove     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just watched Al Gore's documentary on environment at Show Movie Family a while ago. Made me think...and want to start every little thing that i can do to help save the our planet.

From now on we are going to do the following in our household:

1. stop using chemical and use old granny wisdom instead
2. unplugged, unplugged, unplugged
3. cold water for washing machine
4. vegetable garden
5. have less bath and short shower instead [Big Grin]
6. quick wash for dishwasher

We made our own compost heap last month and plan to do vegetable garden, etc. I know recycling is not common yet, in Dubai there are recycling centers in some supermarkets. I checked Hyperone before, its not available, i wonder if its available elsewhere.

Wonder if anyone has something that you're doing in your household and would like to share some.

Posts: 52 | From: Cairo | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
An Exercise in Futility
Member # 9889

Icon 1 posted      Profile for An Exercise in Futility         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would love to find somewhere to recycle glass for my tons of president cheese glasses (my staple diet [Big Grin] )

For my washing I usually use the shortest 33-38 minute programme depending whether its 30 or 40C wash and 800 spin speed.

Only have showers anyway - must confess though - when I was having plumbing problems I turned the water off while I did things like soap and shampoo otherwise the bathroom and kitchen would flood. Now the plumbing is fixed, I've gone back to not turning it off. Hm.

I also need a compost heap - have been throwing all my optimistic fruit purchases in the hedges but really it needs treating better. Also going to stop buying optimistic quantities of fruit and veg and accept that I'm never going to eat it.

Posts: 5593 | From: Egypt | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seabreeze
Member # 10289

Icon 1 posted      Profile for seabreeze     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't really do anything, this is about how I feel about it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3xiIDIaouL0

[Big Grin] [Razz]

Posts: 13440 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
chantlove
Member # 14871

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for chantlove     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
lol, [Big Grin] it's hilarious...
Posts: 52 | From: Cairo | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Exiled
Member # 14410

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Exiled     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by chantlove:
Just watched Al Gore's documentary on environment at Show Movie Family a while ago. Made me think...and want to start every little thing that i can do to help save the our planet.

From now on we are going to do the following in our household:

1. stop using chemical and use old granny wisdom instead
2. unplugged, unplugged, unplugged
3. cold water for washing machine
4. vegetable garden
5. have less bath and short shower instead [Big Grin]
6. quick wash for dishwasher

We made our own compost heap last month and plan to do vegetable garden, etc. I know recycling is not common yet, in Dubai there are recycling centers in some supermarkets. I checked Hyperone before, its not available, i wonder if its available elsewhere.

Wonder if anyone has something that you're doing in your household and would like to share some.

It moved me too! I will list what i am doing to improve out earth (what i can think of - anyway)

1- I will start to use those reusable bags at carrefoure

2 - My new place has solar water heating

3- I bought an fuel efficient car, with very low CO2 emissions

4 - I eat what i buy (nothing goes to waste)

5 - I use about only 25% water of the average person living in america. Yes i am proud to consume less water. Prophet Mohamed (saw) preached this, despite the fact if we had a river of it (water)!

6 - I conserve on the electric bill - i try to anyway - i am just so high-tech, shittt adds up

7 - I support organic foods, i don't eat brazilian beef anymore, nor american beef, nor Australian lamb, i eat local bred lamb and beef, even if it costs 2x-4x more, i don't care

8- The city i live is a signatory of the NO MORE PLASTIC BAGS, and i am proud of that, by 2010 plastic bags should be illegal here, again i am doing my best to be on top of this by making a transtition now!

Posts: 2418 | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com