EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Living in Egypt » MBC 4

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: MBC 4
seabreeze
Member # 10289

Icon 1 posted      Profile for seabreeze     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
On ES a few months ago some people were discussing a Dr. Phil episode that aired showing a young girl who ran off to meet her MYSPACE boyfriend in Palestine.

It finally came on here (stretched out over 3 days, yesterday being the last), did anyone else happen to catch it?

When people were discussing this a couple of months ago they were speaking about how the show tried to make the Palestinian guy out to be some bad guy. However, I honestly thought he really WAS a pretty bad guy! [Frown] He was so snide and disrespectful, he verbally abused the girl and she finally admitted he had hit her hands with a belt, bit her and threatened to hit her.

Just wondering if anyone else saw this and your take on it. I know the show did try to dramatize things a bit 'she met a guy from the Middle EAST!!'...but comeon, he was living on the Gaza Strip!!! [Eek!]

Posts: 13440 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Qmar
Member # 12602

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Qmar     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
saw bits of it- was waiting for it to be aired actually. I agree with you. The guy didn't need any help in looking bad!
What made me cringe - bringing Betty Mamoody like a warning to everyone about ME men!!

Posts: 102 | From: Somewhere only we know... | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seabreeze
Member # 10289

Icon 1 posted      Profile for seabreeze     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yea, I know - that was pretty weird.
What her story has to do with this one was very strange, I didn't see very much correlation. [Confused]

Posts: 13440 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Questionmarks
Member # 12336

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Questionmarks     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think that it was meant as a kind of imagenation what could have happened in the future with these kind of women i.c.w. these kind of men.
We have had a number of this kind of stories, also recently, the young English girl with the man in Hurghada, the old English woman with the son of Bin Laden, the old English woman with the Indian man, the old English woman with the Jamaican man etc.etc. there are numbers of stories.
Last week I heard there are HUNDREDS of kidnapped children from my country living in Egypt, and they are only the top of the iceberg, the rest is hided under the water...
I think many of these women don't think, they are guided by their feelings, and get in problems afterwards.

Posts: 7202 | From: EU | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seabreeze
Member # 10289

The strange thing was that this guy kept saying he would go to apply for his visa but he never did (or claimed to never have). It kind of made you wonder if he DID but was denied and didn't want to admit it.
They also said that they could not marry in Jericho because he was Muslim and she was Christian. Strange... [Confused]

_
Member # 3567

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for _     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ah you know my opinion about Dr. Phil!! [Big Grin]
Posts: 30135 | From: The owner of this website killed ES....... | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seabreeze
Member # 10289

LOL Well, forget Dr. Phil and go with the subject and what you saw of the episode. Did you see this one TL or do you hate the show too much to watch?

Anyway, here is one person's opinion of the show from youtube:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hjlo13HPM2s
(btw, could someone please teach this girl how to apply her eyeshadow? Thanks~)

_
Member # 3567

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for _     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Da*n right, Smuckers, you have to blindfold me to watch Dr. Phil!!
Posts: 30135 | From: The owner of this website killed ES....... | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seabreeze
Member # 10289

[Big Grin]
Questionmarks
Member # 12336

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Questionmarks     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by With a name like Smuckers:
The strange thing was that this guy kept saying he would go to apply for his visa but he never did (or claimed to never have). It kind of made you wonder if he DID but was denied and didn't want to admit it.
They also said that they could not marry in Jericho because he was Muslim and she was Christian. Strange... [Confused]

There are some stories about denied visa's and the inability to get a new one within 5 years. It isn't true, but the story is going around.
There are a lot of untrue stories concerning visa's, and because it is the most desired wannahave for many, the stories are numerous.

Posts: 7202 | From: EU | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pink cherry
Member # 13979

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pink cherry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I watched all 3

I think there was ignorance on both sides. She did not know much about Arabs, and he sounded as if he had been watching too many US films

His family did pay her air fare, so they were trying to go about it in an Muslim way. She said she knew nothing about his religion yet alone his way of life, and like wise from his side.

Dr Phil did say and it was very pointed that he did not feel that two people meeting for just two weeks could decide that they were going to marry and be happy ever after.....even though they had been chatting on my space for two years.....

Haven't we heard that story before [Confused]

Posts: 643 | From: Over there | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seabreeze
Member # 10289

The religion aspect was the stangest of all.
He was Muslim, she was Christian.
HIS family paid for her to fly halfway across the world to see him when she was SIXTEEN years old, without even speaking to her parents?
THEN, they had not married yet they were holding hands and kissing the like.
He said he wanted to have children but that he is willing to let the children decide what religion they would be (cough cough BS!) and it was all just 'something not quite right' to me. [Frown]

Pink cherry
Member # 13979

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pink cherry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
She was also wearing very short skirts while there, and openly kissing.....very strange in an Islamic country...

I think he had been to get a visa on his own but have a feeling he was told to get married....then he would stand a better chance of getting one.... [Confused]

Posts: 643 | From: Over there | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seabreeze
Member # 10289

Ohhhhhh yea, the short skirts, I could almost see her underwear, I forgot about that. [Wink]

It was just too weird, something did NOT add up.

Pink cherry
Member # 13979

I felt she was just too young, it was all exciting and romantic so she wanted to go with it. She had no experience of life, or another culture. Perhaps she has grown up now.

It takes time to get to know another culture, and to find out what makes the people tick....in my case 4 years....and I am not a teenager. [Big Grin]

seabreeze
Member # 10289

She even said she didn't know where Palestine "was". [Confused]
Anyway, that guy Abdullah was just overly flirty and romantic, calling her 'sweetie' when he saw her via satellite, it was just creepy. I didn't buy him as for real from the beginning. You're right, she was just so young...I wonder if she really stopped talking to him~

tina m
Member # 13845

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for tina m     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
she was a minor and his uncle tryied to help her get her visa to palistine i think he got her plane ticket!
i watched it..
she was young and i think eggrated a little.
i think she still likes him and was pressured into commin home by dr phil and her family cas he wasnt an american boy.

--------------------
your ass is so tight when you fart only a dog can hear it.when you queef only a cat can hear that one.

Posts: 9776 | From: You like If only mosquitoes sucked fat instead of blood. | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cairobug
Member # 10571

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for cairobug   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by With a name like Smuckers:
On ES a few months ago some people were discussing a Dr. Phil episode that aired showing a young girl who ran off to meet her MYSPACE boyfriend in Palestine.

It finally came on here (stretched out over 3 days, yesterday being the last), did anyone else happen to catch it?

When people were discussing this a couple of months ago they were speaking about how the show tried to make the Palestinian guy out to be some bad guy. However, I honestly thought he really WAS a pretty bad guy! [Frown] He was so snide and disrespectful, he verbally abused the girl and she finally admitted he had hit her hands with a belt, bit her and threatened to hit her.

Just wondering if anyone else saw this and your take on it. I know the show did try to dramatize things a bit 'she met a guy from the Middle EAST!!'...but comeon, he was living on the Gaza Strip!!! [Eek!]

he seemed really bad, and i'm not sure about the conversations here on the forum before--but it just seems like the reinforcement of one more negative stereotype about the middle east/the region/his background wasn't necessary. perhaps if there was even one good, or two good representations on that show (for the dr phil crowd)--then it would seem fair to introduce them to the lowlives of the middle east.

(it does not take away from him being a bad guy, just that this may/will resonate with a significant portion of his target audience as the typical middle eastern guy).

Posts: 483 | From: cairo | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Korvin's
Member # 14099

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Korvin's     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
They are bad bad bad people up there in the ME.
Posts: 890 | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
_
Member # 3567

Rate Member
MySpace brought the two youngster together and Dr. Phil tore them apart again!! [Big Grin]

Guys it's time for a Dr. Phil joke. Here we go!

Dr. Phil was conducting a therapy session with four young mothers and their small children.

"You all have obsessions," he observed.

To the first mother he said,"You are so obsessed with eating you've even named your daughter Candy."

He turned to the second mom: "Your obsession is with money. Again, it manifests itself in your child's name, Penny."

He turns to the third mom: "Your obsession is alcohol. This, too, manifests itself in your child's name, Brandy."

At this point, the fourth mother gets up, takes her little boy by the hand and whispers, "Come on Dick, we're leaving."

[Cool]

SuperBug
Member # 134

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SuperBug     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Abdallah will be on MBC1 on sunday 18:30 GMT.
Maybe we'll get another side of the story than one from "middle class jerry springer-show" aka dr Phil show.

Posts: 7 | From: Egypt | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Qmar
Member # 12602

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Qmar     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you get an update on the dr phil website- (sad- but knew I would miss the outcome) after talking about how bad Abdullah was to her she goes on to admit she has met someone else! Lets hope he lives locally!
Posts: 102 | From: Somewhere only we know... | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com