EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Living in Egypt » Egyptian workmanship

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Egyptian workmanship
Penny
Member # 1925

Rate Member
Icon 14 posted      Profile for Penny     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I read so many accounts on ES that talk badly about services and workmanship in Egypt that I thought I would just post this to give some balance because its not all bad in fact often quite the opposite.

We have been waiting and waiting to get air-conditioning installed and the delay has only been that like many we wanted to wait for the new quieter Sharp machines that it has taken so long.

Well, we finally got hold of our first machine which hubby went and collected yesterday so it didn’t get given to someone else. The fitters promised to be here today at 9am and they were just 1 hour late, as yes we are hard to find.

There was an immediate problem in that the machine was too deep for the space above the door by 5cm but they manage to delicately cut into the cornice to get it to fit. All the workmanship is brilliant and no more cutting through than absolutely necessary. 3 hours later we now have a wonderfully cool sitting room and surprise surprise they have swept up the mess. I just need to give the floor a wash and move the furniture back and all achieved and working with very little inconvenience or mess.

so 100% thumbs up for Egyptian workmanship and service. [Smile]

And yes the Sharp machines are just a whisper.

Has anyone else had GOOd experiences as it seems so often we just talk about the bad.

Posts: 3809 | From: Paradise | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seabreeze
Member # 10289

Icon 1 posted      Profile for seabreeze     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That's wonderful Penny, and I am so surprised they did sweep up, you must have been very pleased. [Smile]

I have good stories about when we had some furniture made, it came out really lovely and the carpenter did exactly what we asked, even going above and beyond. He delivered on the day quoted and did a beautiful job.
True, not all of the stories are bad. I'm glad you had a pleasant experience with your a/c and enjoy the cool! [Wink]

Posts: 13440 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
_
Member # 3567

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for _     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Penny:
I read so many accounts on ES that talk badly about services and workmanship in Egypt that I thought I would just post this to give some balance because its not all bad in fact often quite the opposite.

Haha, Penny! Just last month you posted that:

quote:
Think its a great idea SQ. Times are changing fast and young women are taking on all sorts of new roles, give me a female plumber any day to these absolutely hopeless men. Why is it the plumbers are all so bad, just about every Egyptian bathroom you walk into has leaking pipes including mine!

http://www.egyptsearch.com/forums/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=2;t=016339

Looks like not all Egyptian workmen have two left hands! Or don't tell me they were females!! [Cool]

Posts: 30135 | From: The owner of this website killed ES....... | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Penny
Member # 1925

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Penny     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Tigerlily:
quote:

Haha, Penny! Just last month you posted that:

quote:
Think its a great idea SQ. Times are changing fast and young women are taking on all sorts of new roles, give me a female plumber any day to these absolutely hopeless men. Why is it the plumbers are all so bad, just about every Egyptian bathroom you walk into has leaking pipes including mine!

http://www.egyptsearch.com/forums/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=2;t=016339

Looks like not all Egyptian workmen have two left hands! Or don't tell me they were females!! [Cool]

Ah TL now you caught me out [Razz] and I had better confess we finally got the bathroom fixed this week and I now have dry floors as the toilet cystern is not constantly overflowing ....but that did one heck of alot longer.....and sadly no ladies around...I wish
Posts: 3809 | From: Paradise | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
_
Member # 3567

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for _     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Where are you located currently? In Alex I believe? How do you like it there??
Posts: 30135 | From: The owner of this website killed ES....... | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bob the dog
Member # 4691

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for bob the dog     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That's a very positive post, Penny!! When I lived in Egypt I would never have put the words "Egyptian" and "workmanship" in the same sentence!!! [Smile]
Posts: 4238 | From: USA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jean_bean
Member # 13715

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for jean_bean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
glad that you got good workmanship Penny.
unfortunately that is not the norm, from what I see and hear around me.
its my trickle down theory.
In other country's, there is an apprenticeship program for learning the craft, but most jobs there (plumbing, carpentry, building, electrical) also have school, and tests, and licensing, etc.
and if you are not happy, there is a way of actually doing something about it...they can have their license revoked, or sued or whatever.
here...a kid watches a man do the job. If that man is a bad plumber, for instance, he is teaching that kid bad plumbing, and it goes on and on...bad plumbers teaching the next generation of bad plumbers. etc etc.
no school for them to attend, no licensing, no follow up.
So...I think that maybe the original guys knew what they were doing...but that it has been lost.
If you are really really lucky, you will get a good guy, but they are surrounded by poor workers, and it takes a lifetime to weed thru the crap, to find a good one.
and when ya do...you hang onto them for life.
The best workers that we have had have come from a recommendation from a family member, and when we try to find one on our own, we have gotten bad work, and lots of screaming ensues.

Posts: 1103 | From: 6th of October | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
paradise_seekers
Member # 14095

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for paradise_seekers     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

We have been waiting and waiting to get air-conditioning installed and the delay has only been that like many we wanted to wait for the new quieter Sharp machines that it has taken so long.

Well, we finally got hold of our first machine which hubby went and collected yesterday so it didn’t get given to someone else. The fitters promised to be here today at 9am and they were just 1 hour late, as yes we are hard to find.

There was an immediate problem in that the machine was too deep for the space above the door by 5cm but they manage to delicately cut into the cornice to get it to fit. All the workmanship is brilliant and no more cutting through than absolutely necessary. 3 hours later we now have a wonderfully cool sitting room and surprise surprise they have swept up the mess. I just need to give the floor a wash and move the furniture back and all achieved and working with very little inconvenience or mess.

so 100% thumbs up for Egyptian workmanship and service. [Smile]

And yes the Sharp machines are just a whisper.

Has anyone else had GOOd experiences as it seems so often we just talk about the bad.

There is an exhibitions on right now, at the Exhibitions Center. I think the whole of Egypt is in there it's very big.

It's specializing in the building and construction - cermica, cleopatra, kapci, pachin lecico are all there.

I will be going back tomorrow to collect more contact details, I think it would be useful as I would like to construct a building in egypt someday. i can meet anyone there [Smile]

Posts: 212 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com