EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Living in Egypt » Biggest personal and public health issues in Egypt

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Biggest personal and public health issues in Egypt
An Exercise in Futility
Member # 9889

Icon 5 posted      Profile for An Exercise in Futility         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
For my ladies conversation class on Tuesday, we are going to talk about Health and I said I would bring some material in to prompt discussion.

What are your views on:

the biggest public health issue in Egypt

the biggest personal health issue in Egypt

All input gratefully received as per usual [Big Grin]

Posts: 5593 | From: Egypt | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pink cherry
Member # 13979

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pink cherry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't like to see bags of rubbish just left on the street....it can stay in the same place for days.

Also,just throwing rubbish out car windows as people drive in their cars.

The rubbish rubbish rubbish really gets to me [Mad] [Mad] [Mad]

Posts: 643 | From: Over there | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Questionmarks
Member # 12336

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Questionmarks     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think the biggest health issue is related to the ignorance of many people.

--------------------
“Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing, there is a field. I will meet you there.”

Posts: 7202 | From: EU | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
viewable
Member # 6331

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for viewable         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Quality, accessibility and affordability.
Low paid doctors in public hospitals. Not enough funding for equipment and beds. No coverage to speak of for prescription drugs.
A resident doctor told me recently that he practices a completely different type of medicine than he was taught. He prescribes drugs based on the patients ability to afford it. Often times the patient's parent will tell him that the drug he prescribed is too expensive and ask for something else and he has no choice but to prescribe something else though not effective it is better than nothing.
Blood banks are another nightmare.
Even the private, supposedly, high end hospitals are lacking in modern equipment and qualified staff.

These observations are based on conversations I had with friends and not my own personal experience.

--------------------
I'm Retired

Posts: 174 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
viewable
Member # 6331

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for viewable         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In-patient beds

2003 154.6
2004 160.7
2005 168.3
2006 177.9
2007 183.1

Unit muliplier = Thousand

Doctors

2002 41,783.0
2003 42,368.0
2004 42,571.0
2005 43,062.0
2006 43,498.0
2007 43,878.0

Active pharmacists

2002 4,354.0
2003 5,737.0
2004 7,119.0
2005 7,598.0
2006 8,195.0
2007 8,528.0

Hospitals and clinics

2002 342.0
2003 357.0
2004 372.0
2005 387.0
2006 391.0
2007 394.0

opulation with access to improved sanitary facilities in %

2002 67.0
2003 69.0
2004 70.0
2005 71.0
2006 72.0
2007 73.0

Source: euromonitor

--------------------
I'm Retired

Posts: 174 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
queenie
Member # 14221

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for queenie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The drivers are a serious health risk and its about time the government sorted this out.

--------------------
www.sierraresortnabq.co.uk

Posts: 124 | From: England | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Questionmarks
Member # 12336

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Questionmarks     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Isn't there again a scandal regarding bloodbanks?

--------------------
“Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing, there is a field. I will meet you there.”

Posts: 7202 | From: EU | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cheekyferret
Member # 15263

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cheekyferret     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ?????:
I think the biggest health issue is related to the ignorance of many people.

I totally agree with that statement.
Posts: 11097 | From: Cairo | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Member # 14248

Icon 1 posted      Profile for *********     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Public

Rubbish on the streets.
Rats.
Throwing rubbish on the street and out of car windows.
Throwing babies nappies out of car windows. [Eek!]
Leaving horses and donkeys to rot on pavements when they die.
Throwing dead horse and donkey carcases into irrigation canals beside growing fruit and vegetables. [Confused]
Lack of basic knowledge of hygiene and food preparation.
Women using toilets and not flushing it!!, then walking out after adjusting hair or hijab without washing hands [Mad] .
Car exhaust pollution.
Spitting on the roads.
Slaughtering animals on pavements in public places and smearing the blood everywhere attracting flies and at night rats.( how many times and how is that butchers block washed? )

Mental Health

Dealing with government officials.
Driving.
Workmen, tradesmen in your home.
Watching Adel Imam in every movie on Rotana. [Razz]

Personal health

Oil, sugar and full cream milk in every recipe for 'POWER'.
Buying fat!! 'white meat' and cooking and eating it [Eek!]
Making every cake or sweet with oil.
Smoking cigarettes and especially shisha.
Listening to granny's old wives tales. [Razz]

Posts: 3416 | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seabreeze
Member # 10289

Icon 1 posted      Profile for seabreeze     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hepatitis.
Posts: 13440 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
_
Member # 3567

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for _     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think the things which really concern me about Egypt in regards to health are rubbish and pollution as already mentioned above. Also quality of food is a red flag for me (not enough quality controls are being carried out and hygiene standards certainly have to be increased throughout the whole country).

But I still wanna come back...

Posts: 30135 | From: The owner of this website killed ES....... | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lynn
Member # 887

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for lynn     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The lack of education in schools, as well as homes, pertaining to health and personal hygiene. I have yet to see a school in Alex, include Health in the curriculum!
Posts: 143 | From: Alexandria, Egypt | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Member # 14248

Icon 1 posted      Profile for *********     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Shanta

got enough ideas for your class now [Cool]

Posts: 3416 | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seabreeze
Member # 10289

Icon 1 posted      Profile for seabreeze     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Doura:
Public

Rubbish on the streets.
Rats.
Throwing rubbish on the street and out of car windows.
Throwing babies nappies out of car windows. [Eek!]
Leaving horses and donkeys to rot on pavements when they die.
Throwing dead horse and donkey carcases into irrigation canals beside growing fruit and vegetables. [Confused]
Lack of basic knowledge of hygiene and food preparation.
Women using toilets and not flushing it!!, then walking out after adjusting hair or hijab without washing hands [Mad] .
Car exhaust pollution.
Spitting on the roads.
Slaughtering animals on pavements in public places and smearing the blood everywhere attracting flies and at night rats.( how many times and how is that butchers block washed? )

Mental Health

Dealing with government officials.
Driving.
Workmen, tradesmen in your home.
Watching Adel Imam in every movie on Rotana. [Razz]

Personal health

Oil, sugar and full cream milk in every recipe for 'POWER'.
Buying fat!! 'white meat' and cooking and eating it [Eek!]
Making every cake or sweet with oil.
Smoking cigarettes and especially shisha.
Listening to granny's old wives tales. [Razz]

I have to say this made me smile. [Smile]
Good job Doura! [Wink]

Posts: 13440 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Laura
Member # 879

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Laura     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Certainly not the biggest issue but men urinating on every building in the country is truly nasty. Actually, I think some women just squat anywhere too.
Posts: 3291 | From: I DO believe in Karma! | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
An Exercise in Futility
Member # 9889

Icon 1 posted      Profile for An Exercise in Futility         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Great ideas people - thanks. Shall be using some or all in the class tonight.
Posts: 5593 | From: Egypt | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
stefaniaprague
Member # 15397

Icon 1 posted      Profile for stefaniaprague     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Laura:
Certainly not the biggest issue but men urinating on every building in the country is truly nasty. Actually, I think some women just squat anywhere too.

LOL [Big Grin]
Posts: 326 | From: Prague | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com