EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Living in Egypt » House cleaner 1000LE per day

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: House cleaner 1000LE per day
AntonD
Member # 11376

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for AntonD     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I posted a while ago about looking for a cleaner for my house in El Rehab. I'm still looking but in the meantime my wife contacted a firm advertised in one of the expat magazines, I'll have to ask her for the details.
Anyway, a man from the firm came to visit us to look at the job.
He looked round the house and after what I can only charitably describe as a "misunderstanding" on the telephone, he detailed the rates.
He wanted twelve thousand LE per quarter for one visit per week of about 4 hours.
That works out at 1000LE per session, 250LE per hour.
When we threw him out he asked us for 250LE for that days visit to look at the job.
He didn't get it.

Posts: 52 | From: Cairo | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
An Exercise in Futility
Member # 9889

Icon 1 posted      Profile for An Exercise in Futility         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
[Eek!] [Eek!]

An English friend of mine's Egyptian neighbour is trying to persuade her to get a 'servant' for 50LE for a 12 hour day (to do all the cleaning, decorating etc!)

Posts: 5593 | From: Egypt | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
_
Member # 3567

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for _     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
[Confused]

Post details of this recruiting company who send you off this guy!!

I think it should be the other way around: You should see references, you should offer the salary, you should see how good he is at his job!!

[Mad]

Posts: 30135 | From: The owner of this website killed ES....... | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AntonD
Member # 11376

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for AntonD     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When my wife gets back (from work and then shopping, so it could be some time) I'll try and find out who it was.
I'd willingly pay more than 50LE! But not that much.

Posts: 52 | From: Cairo | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
_
Member # 3567

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for _     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Of course and depending on quality of service!!
Posts: 30135 | From: The owner of this website killed ES....... | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dzosser
Member # 9572

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dzosser   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You foreigners are really having a hard time in Egypt..what a rip off [Eek!]
Posts: 3219 | From: Wisdom comes with age, but sometimes age comes alone. | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shooky
Member # 14776

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Shooky   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
HAHAHA, 1000 pounds a day for cleaning a house..WOW. what was he thinking, i mean we egyptians will rip forigners off but not to that limit.

--------------------

Posts: 506 | From: Some where on the east coast | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
_
Member # 3567

Rate Member
Obviously some will try!!

In the mid 90's I remember my German family employed an Egyptian woman who came during the week (5 days) for couple of hours. She cleaned a little and cooked lunch. Very nice older lady, we communicated very well with each other despite our language barriers. Anyway they payed her something like 300 pounds a month.

yorkshire rose
Member # 12072

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for yorkshire rose   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
that was good money in the 90s tiger, omg i would clean for 1000le per day heheheheh.
Even 200le would be good for sure.

--------------------
Alison Faragalla

Posts: 4149 | From: Egypt | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jean_bean
Member # 13715

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for jean_bean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
heck yeah....I would clean for 1000 a day.
would do windows, clean the toilets...lol
....thats one helluva price !

Had a woman that came in on Eid a few years ago, cleaned and cooked one helluva dinner for 12 of us, and cost was 50LE

Posts: 1103 | From: 6th of October | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
zaphirelee
Member # 11074

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for zaphirelee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I pay a woman 50 pounds to come once a week and she cleans like crazy for four hours and sometimes more. She is grateful to get that ammount and I am told I pay a bit more than usual because she is honest and is used to working with expats. If I think the place looks good enough after three hours she won't leave but will decide to clean out the refrigerator, do the windows etc.
Posts: 153 | From: Egypt | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
yorkshire rose
Member # 12072

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for yorkshire rose   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
you have a great cleaner for sure.

--------------------
Alison Faragalla

Posts: 4149 | From: Egypt | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AntonD
Member # 11376

Rate Member
zaphirelee - send her to me!!!
I've found out who it was, it's advertised in the CSA magazine called Oasis, the company is called Makram Cleaning Service.

_
Member # 3567

Rate Member
AntonD, I've found both ads on

http://www.kairofamiliennetz.de/

Deutschsprachige, muslimische Haushaltshilfe sucht neue Arbeitsstätte.
Frau Fouda - Mobile: 011-324 24 61
amira1@hotmail.de

Suche Job als Köchin oder zum Bügeln
für meine Freundin Fatma.
Sie kann prima kochen, ist freundlich und ehrlich.
Fatma ist alleinerziehende Mutter von 3 Kindern
und spricht ein wenig Englisch.
sch_familie@swissmail.org

I am sure that these women or other expat families know of more people who are looking desperately for employment. Good luck!!

Questionmarks
Member # 12336

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Questionmarks     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I haven't heard any good stories about such agencies. Unreliable staff, don't keep their appointments, one time they even sended a unmarried young women who seemed to be pregant. Before you know you have a south-egyptian family armed with knifes and guns on your doorstep...
And it sounds harsh, but Egyptian families send such women away, even knowing that she probably is forced to deliver her child somewhere outside and alone...
Anyway, it's hard to get good people...

--------------------
“Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing, there is a field. I will meet you there.”

Posts: 7202 | From: EU | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dzosser
Member # 9572

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dzosser   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ?????:
Egyptian families send such women away, even knowing that she probably is forced to deliver her child somewhere outside and alone...

Or end up like in this song...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4z9f9Eybv4I

I like Everlast... [Cool]

Posts: 3219 | From: Wisdom comes with age, but sometimes age comes alone. | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Questionmarks
Member # 12336

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Questionmarks     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, I have it on single, it's a long time ago... Not everything is what's looks like...

--------------------
“Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing, there is a field. I will meet you there.”

Posts: 7202 | From: EU | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AntonD
Member # 11376

Rate Member
Tigerlily - thanks, I'll look into that.
Dalia*
Member # 10593

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dalia*     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by AntonD:
I've found out who it was, it's advertised in the CSA magazine called Oasis, the company is called Makram Cleaning Service.

I agree with what others have said, 50 LE per visit would be a more appropriate price.
Personally, I would advise you to stay away from most services offered in the CSA magazine since many of them seem to be aimed at foreigners who don't speak Arabic and want to avoid dealing with local people, and they are often way overpriced.

Posts: 3587 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jean_bean
Member # 13715

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for jean_bean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have a friend in Rehab, and she hired a sudanese guy who does excellent work for her - reasonable - and he does everything from clean her house, to feeding her doggies and cleaning out their kennel for her.
When she comes back from vacation, I will find out how she found him.

Posts: 1103 | From: 6th of October | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
_
Member # 3567

Rate Member
Yes please do JB I would be interested to know too.

I would also like to hire a young Egyptian woman from a village (I've known quite a couple of them employed by Egyptian families and usually got along with them great) but I guess because we are foreigners and not Muslims we will not have the option.

What do you think, would we have a chance??

I remember at least two of them left the employment at one family to be married off in their villages; they were living-in and performed child care and housework in order to save up money.

seabreeze
Member # 10289

Icon 1 posted      Profile for seabreeze     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
LOL 1000 LE per day. [Big Grin]
So funny! [Razz]

Posts: 13440 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Member # 14248

Icon 1 posted      Profile for *********     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
They are not all moslem Tiger
You might find one easier around the Assyut area but will she get a visa????

Posts: 3416 | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
queenie
Member # 14221

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for queenie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi all I have an apartment that will be used for holidays in Nabq Sharm. How much should I pay for a clean with linen change and wash??
It is only 55 sq and 1 bedroom.
Thanks

--------------------
www.sierraresortnabq.co.uk

Posts: 124 | From: England | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jean_bean
Member # 13715

Member Rated:
Tiger...what good will it do you for the info on a sudanese house keeper here in egypt do ya - in Germany???

i am confused now

_
Member # 3567

Rate Member
Because I need to know as I will be moving back in two years. [Smile]

I am already collecting lots of contacts so the move will be as smooth as possible.

JinJin
Member # 14821

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for JinJin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Please any info on someone who can actually clean. I'm getting desperate.

I am fed up with dishonest, lazy, break my stuff cleaners. Not too impressed with the same sponge that cleans the bathroom/toilet is also used to do my dishes !

I agree, the agencies suck. If you are looking for permanent staff, stay away from Lily Services and Master Staff, they are BAD.

LE1000 per day, geeeez that is ridiculous, so ridiculous that I want that cleaning job.

Posts: 83 | From: Egypt | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
stefaniaprague
Member # 15397

Icon 1 posted      Profile for stefaniaprague     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by JinJin:
Please any info on someone who can actually clean. the same sponge that cleans the bathroom/toilet is also used to do my dishes !

how can you leave someone clean your bathroom with sponge and then your dishes?? this make me vomit
Posts: 326 | From: Prague | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
_
Member # 3567

Rate Member
Lily Services

They advertised a few times on here in the past.

http://www.lily-services.net/Commercial.html

You can't recommend them? [Frown]

Can you tell me why??

Btw, I found it interesting that they are also offering hair braiding.

Question I have: If I employ a foreign nanny from them, say African, do I have to get her also the visa and satisfy maybe any other legal requirements?

AntonD
Member # 11376

Rate Member
My wife has actually been in contact with Lily Services but we're waiting for them to return our call. So I'm also interested in what's so bad about them.
JinJin
Member # 14821

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for JinJin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So far, have only had experience with two agencies and have given up on them.

Lily services don't turn up for appointed interviews, they don't return phone calls and their email address doesn't work. Totally unprofessional, even for Egypt.

I specificially asked for certain things in a maid (ie, live in, must be able to speak passable English and understand Arabic). When they did finally turn up after many missed appointments, the girls could not live in, could hardly stand English and had zero Arabic.

They say they screen all their staff but turn up with no CV's or background details of the workers. When I tried to ask the girls any questions, they just kept looking at the guy who brought them and giggling.

When I pushed him about the potential maids being screened, he told me that was my job. So in other words, I am paying him a big commission to not turn up for appointments, waste my time and bring just anybody over for an interview.

Your best bet is to find someone through someone you already know. The only problem is, if someone has a good maid, they hang onto them.

Tiger, if you have kids in the house you are going to have to be EXTRA careful about who you are employing. If you have plenty of money and want a full time nanny, I would suggest bringing one from Europe.

Other alternatives would be to check out church notice boards or women's groups and also CSA has a book where maids will go in and fill in all their details.

I am currently trying to help a friend find staff for her house as she is having a nervous breakdown between the Egyptian and Ethiopian staff.

My next step is to go direct through a recruitment agency in the Philippines and hire some maids on contract.

Still trying to find someone to clean my humble abode once a week and will post any updates of my 'maid hunt'.

Posts: 83 | From: Egypt | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AntonD
Member # 11376

Rate Member
JinJin - thanks for that. It looks as though finding someone to clean mine twice a week will also be an epic undertaking.
viewable
Member # 6331

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for viewable         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Tough life [Roll Eyes] not finding someone desperate and hungry to work like a slave for next to nothing.
Posts: 174 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dzosser
Member # 9572

Rate Member
http://www.karcher.com/int/Products/Brochures_new.htm?level=2&NID=63944778
This gimmick is sold at Hyperone for EGP 3333 and an extra EGP 250 for the water supply hose (YELLOW)unless you can settle for the small (entry level) model for EGP 777 and the same for the hose...its GERMAN no tricks,won't burst when you start it. [Cool]

mastereg.com
Member # 15450

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for mastereg.com   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
from us you well be so happy
www.mastereg.com

Posts: 13 | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JinJin
Member # 14821

Rate Member
Viewable, that is a bit tough. Do you actually live in Egypt and have reliable CAPABLE staff ?

Nobody I have ever had work for me has been desperate, hungry or willing to work for nothing.

My typical experience: I spend my time looking for someone to clean once a week or fortnight. Sometimes they turn up when they are supposed to, sometimes they don't. They spend their time on the phone chatting, eating all of my food, going through all of my cupboards and their idea of cleaning is shuffling a dirty black towel all around my flat. By the time they are finished, my place is actually dirtier and something always gets broken or stolen. The last girl broke the door off my cooker, I still can't imagine how she did it.

I wouldn't call someone a slave when she is chatting on the phone and relaxing while I am the one who is doing her job. I normally pay double the going rate and when it is time to leave after having done nothing, I get the 'shake down' for more cash because they have worked so hard. What a cheek.

_
Member # 3567

Rate Member
Jin Jin, you know we employed live-in au-pairs before, also one from Africa, so we are used to this situation. Hubby employed before Filipino maids and wasn't very happy; he didn't like their gossipping either and at least three times my husband was asked if he knows single American men there! [Roll Eyes]

Good luck in finding soon a reliable and hard-working cleaning person!

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com