EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Living in Egypt » Ants

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Ants
An Exercise in Futility
Member # 9889

Icon 1 posted      Profile for An Exercise in Futility         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Does anyone else feel guilty about killing these wonderful little organic vacuum cleaners?

I was out all day and when I got home tonight there were ants all over the kitchen floor carting off the cats' food.

I do admire these little creatures and I marvel at the way they get rid of any kind of organic rubbish, but I don't really want them all over my kitchen!

I squirted Raid all over them and hated myself. I was wondering if I can lay a trail of something to get them out of the flat?

Also, I was wondering (and yes I know I can google this but I'm SOOOO TIIRREEDDD) if they have nests and if they can do structural damage?

Posts: 5593 | From: Egypt | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cheekyferret
Member # 15263

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cheekyferret     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was taught to put a chalk line at the point they come and go as ants will not walk over chalk.

Also a bowl of sugar water will keep them happy all summer if you put it where you want to keep them as they will have all they need...

Not sure about damage and I can't be bothered to google either! sorry SQ [Frown]

I don't mind small ants .. or normal ants as I refer them as and I won't kill them as I love to watch how they work with aphids and their whole way of working is amazing...

Big ants and fire ants freak me out! Ever come into contact with a pissed off fire ant?... yikes!

Posts: 11097 | From: Cairo | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Makbeta
Member # 14401

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Makbeta     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I once scared ants away with baking powder - and no qualms about it! [Wink]
Posts: 2807 | From: Europe | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seabreeze
Member # 10289

Icon 1 posted      Profile for seabreeze     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
very hot spicy chili powder ~
Posts: 13440 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
miffmiss
Member # 14978

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for miffmiss     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My granny used to have ants all over her house and she tried alsorts. I loved to watch them too till i found them walking over my bed to get to my midnight snacks.
Posts: 1710 | From: we come in peace | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jean_bean
Member # 13715

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for jean_bean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
the kind of ants that do structural damage would be going after wood, and since they don't build with wood here (structure), that would be safe.
But these ants are after food, and not into wood, from the sounds of it.

Posts: 1103 | From: 6th of October | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pink cherry
Member # 13979

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pink cherry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you can find the nest.....and there will be one, I always pour boiling water on it.

I have no remorse in stamping on them when They visit my home.

I have sprayed ant killer just outside the main door, and that appears to have given them the idea that they are not welcome. [Mad]

Posts: 643 | From: Over there | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
chantlove
Member # 14871

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for chantlove     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
dunno where the nest either, i had same problem in my kitchen - after the rice incident, i read somewhere that sprig of mint leaves will discourage them to come. I put it near the sugar and the rice jar - they seem to stop coming. IMO any creatures are not enemy to be killed so long as they dont interfere in my daily neccesities e.g ate my food, some of them even nesting in the small pile of my dirty laundry - i promptly blamed hubby's boxer (eeeuuugh yikes) [Big Grin]
Posts: 52 | From: Cairo | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dzosser
Member # 9572

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dzosser   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Those little mother f--kers sting real good [Eek!] I sprinkle that powder from super markets and they're gone for a while..when on food like cake,honey,sugar and stuff,just dump the whole thing into the freezer for 5 mins.then guess what? they're frozen and easy to blow off any surface [Big Grin] I hate ants [Mad]
Posts: 3219 | From: Wisdom comes with age, but sometimes age comes alone. | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
chantlove
Member # 14871

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for chantlove     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
lol, sometimes they left their bits (i dunno what it is) tiny white things - i always thought it was their left over [Big Grin]
Posts: 52 | From: Cairo | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Member # 11766

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ..     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Contact the CSA in Maadi.
They had an environmental day where they were advising using used coffee beans which apparently ants won't go near.
I tried it but my kitties made such a mess with it.

Posts: 854 | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bob the dog
Member # 4691

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for bob the dog     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When I lived in Egypt I hated the very tiny ants..... they bite like crazy!!! The bigger ones didn't bother me too much...but those small ones.... [Mad] [Mad] [Mad]
Posts: 4238 | From: USA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com