EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Living in Egypt » Do any Egyptians use a seat belt in the car?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Do any Egyptians use a seat belt in the car?
Pink cherry
Member # 13979

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pink cherry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I ask this question as this saved my life yesterday, after a maniac woman driver crashed into our car.

We were driving to Maadi, when this woman pulled out from a siding. She did not turn the steering wheel and drove straight across the road and into us. There was such a bang and the car nearly rolled over. I was saved from going through the wind screen but my seat belt

Police arrived and there was much shouting and waving of arms. This lady resorted to tears saying that she had sick mother with her.

At this point I struggled out of the car. I had a very bad fall a few weeks ago and need the help of a stick when walking. So it was quite a performance. I wanted to prove that her tears of self pity did not work on me. She was in the wrong and showed no remorse. She even turned round and said she did not have any idea about cars.

After once again more shouting and waving of hands the police allowed this woman to drive away [Mad]

They had taken details but were not prepared to take action against her.

I want to let you all know that is reaction of the police is normal. And no matter if male or female they turn on the tears and give some sob story about sick mother or sugar in blood or high blood pressure. I have witnessed this many times.

WHEN IS EGYPT GOING TO WAKE UP TO THIS PROBLEM?

This woman is back on the road, no remorse and driving a lethal weapon.. [Mad] [Mad] [Mad]

WATCH OUT ALL ROAD USERS..............

Posts: 643 | From: Over there | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
_
Member # 3567

Rate Member
Icon 9 posted      Profile for _     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh I am so glad that nothing major happen to you and your husband, PC. How awful to hear about your car accident!!

Egyptian police is a joke... unbelievable!! [Confused]

Now who's gonna pay for the repair of your car???

Posts: 30135 | From: The owner of this website killed ES....... | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Penny
Member # 1925

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Penny     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Me too PC

http://www.egyptsearch.com/forums/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=reply;f=2;t=016670;replyto=000008

How gets to pay for the car? We do [Mad]

Posts: 3809 | From: Paradise | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pink cherry
Member # 13979

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pink cherry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Tigerlily:
Oh I am so glad that nothing major happen to you and your husband, PC. How awful to hear about your car accident!!

Egyptian police is a joke... unbelievable!! [Confused]

Now who's gonna pay for the repair of your car???

That was my question... it would appear we will have to. The damage is not as bad as the noise it made.

But I have had a few 'flash backs' during the night.

I JUST CANNOT COME TO TERMS WITH THE FACT THIS WOMAN WAS ALLOWED TO DRIVE AWAY... [Eek!] [Eek!]

Posts: 643 | From: Over there | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
_
Member # 3567

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for _     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Of course, you've just been through a traumatic experience and still have to work through your shock.

And if course you feel injustice is done because the woman who caused this accident and your misery was able to leave the crime scene just like that.

Hope for a speedy recovery. All the best and thanks god for your seatbelt.

(PS: Luckily so far I was never involved in any accident myself.)

Posts: 30135 | From: The owner of this website killed ES....... | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Penny
Member # 1925

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Penny     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Pink cherry:

I JUST CANNOT COME TO TERMS WITH THE FACT THIS WOMAN WAS ALLOWED TO DRIVE AWAY... [Eek!] [Eek!]

I know exactly how you feel and seethed for days. Mine was not even an accident, it was deliberate.
I am so nervous in the car now when I used to be oblivious to all the stupid driving. I can accept stupidity but I can't accept willful disrespect to people's safety.

Posts: 3809 | From: Paradise | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pink cherry
Member # 13979

quote:
Originally posted by Penny:
quote:

I know exactly how you feel and seethed for days. Mine was not even an accident, it was deliberate.
I am so nervous in the car now when I used to be oblivious to all the stupid driving. I can accept stupidity but I can't accept willful disrespect to people's safety.

Penny....don't you find the Egyptian drivers adopt a ME ME ME attitude when on the road (for that matter in a lot of their daily lives)
But when they get behind a wheel of a car they don't give a damn for any other driver on the road.....Every one should give way to THEM.... [Mad] [Mad] [Mad] ggggggrrrrrrrrr

Penny
Member # 1925

Rate Member
quote:
Penny....don't you find the Egyptian drivers adopt a ME ME ME attitude when on the road (for that matter in a lot of their daily lives)
But when they get behind a wheel of a car they don't give a damn for any other driver on the road.....Every one should give way to THEM.... [Mad] [Mad] [Mad] ggggggrrrrrrrrr [/QB]

Absolute bone heads but I have been lucky to find 2 drivers who are very safe but that's because they have had proper training and that is what is missing in Egypt there is no proper driver training or safety schemes.
Vader-
Member # 14189

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Vader-   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Taxi drivers find it amusing that I look for a seatbelt to wear. They usually don't have any.
Posts: 6335 | From: Straight to my heart. | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
miffmiss
Member # 14978

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for miffmiss     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
yes i was the same getting into the taxis. I would wrap my arms around sophie till she complained and i would say i am your seat belt stay still. Ha ha she sensed how nervous i was about it and never argued.
Posts: 1710 | From: we come in peace | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Member # 14248

Icon 1 posted      Profile for *********     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
And no matter if male or female they turn on the tears and give some sob story about sick mother or sugar in blood or high blood pressure. I have witnessed this many times.

and it's not only in driving [Mad]

Egypt must be full of 'sick' relatives [Roll Eyes]

Sick in the F****** head more like

Posts: 3416 | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Penny
Member # 1925

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by Kaket el 7o7:

I think a few of us are all feeling the same way today....sometimes you can be oh so tolerant but other days GRRRRRRRRRRRR
What really saddens me though is these days I feel so little sympathy when someone says they have a sick relative. Our bowab has liver failure and athough he is 43 ( they showed me the medical records [Confused] WHY? )he looks more like 63. But I have to admit I feel so little sympathy...maybe because they talk about the medical bills in the same breath....but I don't want to be like this [Frown]

cbrbddd
Member # 3891

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for cbrbddd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think everyone in every country has a "ME ME ME" attitude on the road . . . it is just that we have more ppl obeying the laws here (lol, maybe) and the police don't let the ppl go.

When I had an accident more than one year ago, there were ambulances and many police right away . . . and even witnesses stopped to give their account to the police. Everyone exchanged insurance (yes, we are supposed to have insurance by law). I had a rental car for nearly a month when I got my new car (my other car was declared a total lose, so I had to wait on the check to get it).

I DO believe in seatbelts. My car didn't roll so i don't know how much I was in danger of being thrown from the car . . . but I was held very firmly against the car seat and headrest as my car spun around after having been hit in the side then head-on. . . . except for being scared s****** and unnerved (still) while driving . . . it ends up being a funny story to tell as I got hit head-on by a state-trooper . . . so the state-troopers were out in force to help with the accident, lol.

--------------------
I fell in to a burning ring of fire . . .

Posts: 895 | From: NorthTexas, USA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
chantlove
Member # 14871

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for chantlove     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I usually dont write on most of my bad experience here - but PC reading your post, i feel angry, i can feel your frustration.

I was crossing a road with my husband in Mohandeseen (in a proper zebra cross) just before a junction. When the road was quiter with the traffic approximately 500 meters away moving slowly - we decided to cross. One out of approximately row of 4 cars immediately speed up of the distance and PURPOSELY driving toward us and aiming on us!! [Eek!] -

Hubby grab me and we missed just by "few inches" it seems like amusement for the driver as he drove away i was shouting every obscenities words i know in Arabic and crowd was gathered around us but i didnt care a s*** - We were on our way to pick up our medicine in a pharmacy (few step of the junction) after seeing a doctor, just before the pharmacy door, a woman was wailing and tailing us for money crying that her kids hasnt eaten yet. I was soooo furios - no doubt she saw the incident and yet here she is. That day we had our "i hate Egypt" day!!

Posts: 52 | From: Cairo | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
viewable
Member # 6331

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for viewable         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
quote:

I think a few of us are all feeling the same way today....sometimes you can be oh so tolerant but other days GRRRRRRRRRRRR
What really saddens me though is these days I feel so little sympathy when someone says they have a sick relative. Our bowab has liver failure and athough he is 43 ( they showed me the medical records [Confused] WHY? )he looks more like 63. But I have to admit I feel so little sympathy...maybe because they talk about the medical bills in the same breath....but I don't want to be like this [Frown]

I suggest you run like hell. You no longer like anything about the country or the people. Leave and live happily ever after.
Posts: 174 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Penny
Member # 1925

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by viewable:
quote:
quote:

I suggest you run like hell. You no longer like anything about the country or the people. Leave and live happily ever after.
Not true but like chantlove says we all have 'I hate Egypt days'or even just 'I hate Egypt moments'. Its the same anywhere and running away never solves anything, you just find a new set of challenges.
yorkshire rose
Member # 12072

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for yorkshire rose   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Taxi drivers wrap it round them , thats all, i never travel woithout mine, omg the amount of people that say to me, you dont need it is unreal, it saves lives and im not going without it, no wonder so many people are killed here, why dont they just wake up.

--------------------
Alison Faragalla

Posts: 4149 | From: Egypt | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dzosser
Member # 9572

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dzosser   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Once a bus hit my right door and went on as if nothing happened,when I went out fuming to inspect the damage,some jerk showed up with the usual crap of everything's fine and then asked me what my direction was, as he needed a lift and had no money!!I was about to kill him [Mad]
Posts: 3219 | From: Wisdom comes with age, but sometimes age comes alone. | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HandsUpHandsDown
Member # 15410

Icon 1 posted      Profile for HandsUpHandsDown     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That is awful! I'm sorry that you even have to pay for your own car's damage. [Frown]
Posts: 246 | From: but one life to live | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com