EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Living in Egypt » The Pill?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: The Pill?
shadiyah
Member # 15227

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for shadiyah         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sorry this is an embarrassing question that I wouldn't normally post on a public board but I'm really desperate! Guys stop reading now!

Does anyone know how to get the contraceptive pill here in Egypt? In Australia I have always used the brand Levlen Ed, which is a combined pill. I'm nearly out of pills so I took the box to a large pharmacy yesterday in a major shopping centre. They said they had never heard of it. I asked if they had anything similar, ie any other contraceptive pills, and they said no.

Is it possible to get this brand or any other brand here? Do I need a prescription? I assume this is a taboo subject here and I would be horrendously embarrassed asking a doctor about it. Can anyone help?

Posts: 45 | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Penny
Member # 1925

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Penny     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No its not a taboo subject at all just go to a doctor and ask for what you need.

Might be worth trying a few more phamacies they are normally more helpful.

This website says its called 'Logynon' in Egypt

http://www.egeneralmedical.com/rxlist00000331.html

Posts: 3809 | From: Paradise | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
shadiyah
Member # 15227

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for shadiyah         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah I will, I was just put off by their reaction. There were two pharmacists there and they both seemed really embarrassed and wouldn't really discuss it, even though we were all women. Their reaction made me wonder if it was something that shouldn't be talked about in this country? And then I was too embarrassed to ask anywhere else in case I was committing a faux pas.
Posts: 45 | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Penny
Member # 1925

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Penny     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by shadiyah:
Yeah I will, I was just put off by their reaction. There were two pharmacists there and they both seemed really embarrassed and wouldn't really discuss it, even though we were all women. Their reaction made me wonder if it was something that shouldn't be talked about in this country? And then I was too embarrassed to ask anywhere else in case I was committing a faux pas.

see my post above have just added its name in Egypt....Lots of women in Egypt take the pill
sounds like you were unlucky with where you went.

Posts: 3809 | From: Paradise | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bob the dog
Member # 4691

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for bob the dog     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Find the name of the pill you want.... then just go to the pharmacy and buy it!!
My friend went to the pharmacy to ask advice.... and the man got embarrased!
She phoned and asked her doctor back home the name of the pill she was on previously... went to the pharmacy and just bought them.... no problem... simple!!! No prescription needed.... nothing!!!

Posts: 4238 | From: USA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
EgyptianDoc77
Member # 3777

Icon 1 posted      Profile for EgyptianDoc77     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
the tablet you used in Australia is an estradiol/norgestrel mix tablet and is marketed in egypt under the name "Logynon", "Nordette", "Trinordiol" and others . check for it at " El ezabi" pharmacy or Ali and Ali..The same generic is available under other brandnames too
Posts: 689 | From: Miami Beach, FL | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
shadiyah
Member # 15227

Rate Member
Thank you everyone. Yeah maybe I was just unlucky. It's great you can get it here without a prescription, I used to hate going to the doctor just for that.
Cheekyferret
Member # 15263

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cheekyferret     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I will be taking my instructions from my pill with me so the pharmacist can look at the ingredients to find me something similar as mine are not for sale in Cairo either.

This is not a rare request in Cairo as there are so many Westerners there, it is just that they have to order them in.

If anyone is embarassed I am happy to help out through my pharmacy friend [Smile]

Posts: 11097 | From: Cairo | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JinJin
Member # 14821

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for JinJin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Lol, memories of my first few months in Cairo. Ran out of the pill and visited the pharmacy with a friend. I was too embarassed to ask because it was all guys in the store.

She started off asking for the brand I was using, then did a few charades and finally she yelled at them in frustration "I need a pill to stop babies". That did the trick and I got what I needed.

It still creeps me out that most of the sales staff in 'womens' related places like pharmacies and BRA shops are guys but you just got to march in there and ask for what you want. If one shop doesn't understand you or won't help you, just go on to the next one. Or there is always home delivery ..... just have to hope the doctor who speaks English is around to take the call.

Posts: 83 | From: Egypt | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
shadiyah
Member # 15227

Rate Member
Well after visiting four different pharmacies I finally managed to find a pill... Nordette was all they had, and to my delight it is exactly the same as the one I take. Same ingredients and dosage exactly. [Smile]

I also found out that you can order my old pill online and have it delivered... but they don't deliver to Egypt!

Korvin's
Member # 14099

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Korvin's     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Why don't you cut it short and go see a doctor ?!

That is what docotors are for...

Posts: 890 | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cheekyferret
Member # 15263

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cheekyferret     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for that Shadiyah, I will mention it to the pharmacist when I go. [Big Grin]

I liked the comment about charades, my mental images took over and I couldn't stop smiling...

Posts: 11097 | From: Cairo | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
stefaniaprague
Member # 15397

Icon 1 posted      Profile for stefaniaprague     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
this is the same name of the pill egyptiandoc77 write above for you. This is the good thing in ES is help from people and it is not always bad..
Posts: 326 | From: Prague | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cheekyferret
Member # 15263

Rate Member
Korvin, my Dr in England could not help and my Egyptian Dr is also the pharmacist lol. My brand drew blanks but I will look up all E77 said and see if they are the same else I will have to look into changing my brand completely.

wow.. is anything ever simple lol.

I thought Drs were just for agreeing with you when you go in and tell him what is the matter with you [Wink]

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com