EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Living in Egypt » Ramadan.

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Ramadan.
Korvin's
Member # 14099

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Korvin's     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It is less than two months away, what are your plans for it ?!
Posts: 890 | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
egypt 2007
Member # 14398

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for egypt 2007     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
To go to egypt and be with my partner and see waht the celebrations are like......

Hope to get married if all goes well ..

Posts: 306 | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
'Shahrazat
Member # 12769

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 'Shahrazat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Fasting [Big Grin]
Posts: 2591 | From: **Ex Oriente Lux** | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sashyra8
Member # 14488

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sashyra8     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What are exactly the starting and end date of Ramadan this year? [Confused]
Posts: 3833 | From: here,there,everywhere | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
'Shahrazat
Member # 12769

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 'Shahrazat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
All I know is it ends in my birthday 30 Sep [Big Grin]

But Turkey's and Egypt's Ramadan calender is different.

Posts: 2591 | From: **Ex Oriente Lux** | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AUDBOD 24
Member # 15566

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for AUDBOD 24     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I will be spending my first Ramadan in Egypt.
Posts: 12 | From: Scotland | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
advocate
Member # 13367

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for advocate     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I believe it is 2nd Sept
Posts: 1917 | From: WALES | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
anthropos
Member # 9410

Icon 1 posted      Profile for anthropos     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ramadan is really a fun time. A little bit like Christmas. Also good stuff on the tube.
Posts: 2184 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
shadiyah
Member # 15227

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for shadiyah         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I will be fasting for the first time and I'm pretty scared, because I tend to faint when I don't eat... but inshallah God will get me through it!
Posts: 45 | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
egypt 2007
Member # 14398

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for egypt 2007     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Audbod 24 - this will be my first time in egypt to celebrate ramadan.... and spending it with my egyptian partner so should be fun... but i guess hard..

Let you know when i get back.. I fly on the 29th Aug and come back on the 12th Sept - 2 days before my birthday shame i cant be there longer but work calls.

Posts: 306 | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jean_bean
Member # 13715

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for jean_bean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I know that this is a bad thing to say, cuz I am a Muslim, and all that.
but....I DREAD Ramadan.

People are nasty, cuz they haven't had their caffeine or nicotine fix, time is turned upside down - with people sleeping all day, and waking up a minute before sunset and attacking the food, staying up all night, etc.
And I am unable to fast, so I have to hide any eating or drinking that I do.
I just don't like it. I wish that I could get into the spirit of it all, but I am made to feel like an outsider.
and if that wasn't bad enough - then along comes Eid, and the slaughtering stuff....sigh.

Wish that I could run away for a month or 2.

Posts: 1103 | From: 6th of October | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ramses nemesis
Member # 4125

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ramses nemesis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by jean_bean:
and if that wasn't bad enough - then along comes Eid, and the slaughtering stuff....sigh.

you're confusing the two eids. The slaughtering is in the Adha eid, the one at Hajj time. The one after Ramadan is the fitr eid, aka kahk eid!!
(cake I suppose)

Ramadan kareem
a tad too early I know, but there you go

Posts: 444 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sherribaby
Member # 15378

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sherribaby     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I visited egypt when it is was ramadan,we taking a taxi back to our apartment quite away away, anyway our taxi driver asked if we minded he did a quick detour, we said no thinking it would be pretty straight forward

Anyway, he jumped out the taxi and ran into what we though was a shop of some kind, next thing he came out with a big tray of food and bottle of water, he asked if we would like to join him and he promptly sat and tucked into his food right there in the taxi. All we could do was smile, we wouldn't have lasted an hour without water in that heat, so we certainly didn't begrudge him having his food. It really made us respect the sacrifice muslims make at ramadan.

Posts: 547 | From: uk | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Korvin's
Member # 14099

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Korvin's     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
ending the faasting with a simple meal is one element of the fasting process...
Posts: 890 | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Millas
Member # 15374

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Millas     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
but....I DREAD Ramadan.

People are nasty, cuz they haven't had their caffeine or nicotine fix, time is turned upside down - with people sleeping all day, and waking up a minute before sunset and attacking the food, staying up all night, etc.
I just don't like it. I wish that I could get into the spirit of it all, but I am made to feel like an outsider.

When in Rome do as the Romans do [Roll Eyes] Fasting is a really hard divine service and we shouldn't be charge fasting people with those kind of things you mentioned above.Nevertheless We,Muslims don't sustain this unique worship generally,there are some legitimacies in your words actually.
People who undergo the Ramadan must gain a disciplined spirit.Each believer who fasts and who should be able to discover the hidden meaning will not only be awarded with God’s blessing, but will also be loyal and virtuous in their dealings with their community. It mustn't be enough for them just to worship at certain times, but they must walk towards the horizon of integrity by making use of their whole day with this consciousness, living as if in worship each moment.
we should take into account the circumstances which we find ourselves in at the same time as safeguarding our cultural realities and enlightening those around us in an appropriate manner.

Posts: 186 | From: Eurasia | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
anthropos
Member # 9410

Icon 1 posted      Profile for anthropos     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Korvin's:

Why is there a feast then every night? [Embarrassed]
Posts: 2184 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Questionmarks
Member # 12336

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Questionmarks     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think this tradition won't be a tradition anymore in 75 yrs. In Europe ppl do ramadan in a much other way as they should do in Egypt ( partly because society is build in another way) but also because of the thoughts behind. Right now they see two ppl living toghether unmarried visiting a mosque, even during ramadan. Islamic society is gossiping about it, preaching shame and scandal. The children of these ppl will go further, and this way of thinking will have effect on people home. Slowly it will come in.
You already see enough ppl living in an unislamic way, in more liberal society as tourists area's, so I expect this will grow.
After time ramadan will be like feasting-period in catholic church, a tradition out of history.

--------------------
“Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing, there is a field. I will meet you there.”

Posts: 7202 | From: EU | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
_
Member # 3567

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for _     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Of course Ramadan is to stay.

But I wonder how more difficult it is for Muslims to feast during the hot summer months?

F.e. next year to 2015 Ramadan will start in August, then July and June.

http://www.holidays.net/ramadan/dates.htm

Posts: 30135 | From: The owner of this website killed ES....... | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MissFit
Member # 15579

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for MissFit     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
but....I DREAD Ramadan.

They don't do slaughters after Ramadan.
But I understand your point anyway.

Posts: 68 | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dzosser
Member # 9572

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dzosser   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No booze for muslim ppl.for 33 days [Frown]
Posts: 3219 | From: Wisdom comes with age, but sometimes age comes alone. | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
samaka
Member # 9228

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for samaka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
but....I DREAD Ramadan.

LOL ...You have just described Ramadan, Hurghada style. [Big Grin]
Posts: 588 | From: an oasis near the pyramids | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Millas
Member # 15374

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Millas     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ?????:
I think this tradition won't be a tradition anymore in 75 yrs. In Europe ppl do ramadan in a much other way as they should do in Egypt ( partly because society is build in another way) but also because of the thoughts behind. Right now they see two ppl living toghether unmarried visiting a mosque, even during ramadan. Islamic society is gossiping about it, preaching shame and scandal. The children of these ppl will go further, and this way of thinking will have effect on people home. Slowly it will come in.
You already see enough ppl living in an unislamic way, in more liberal society as tourists area's, so I expect this will grow.
After time ramadan will be like feasting-period in catholic church, a tradition out of history.

The people you are talking are minority,I think and you are talking about non-muslim countries.The Muslims who live in European countries unfortunately don't have many oppotunities to live their religion,some of them can easily accept European way of living as they call themselves Muslim and we call these people as lost generation.It is normal and it is not easy to live their lives in an Islamic way in a chrisitian country.
Giving xamples from the Europen countries, we can not make an inference that after time ramadan will be like feasting-period in catholic church, a tradition out of history.
Ramadan has very strong steady ties,traditions,feelings coming from 1400 years ago.

Posts: 186 | From: Eurasia | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Millas
Member # 15374

Rate Member
That's the way,thougths and feelings Muslims live Ramadan.Plesae allow time to read it below;

Being Shaped by Ramadan
By GULEN, M. Fethullah

At this time when we experience occasions, of much sorrow and some contentment, we sense the promise in the advent of Ramadan, the month of mercy and forgiveness. In the climate of this month of light, we feel both spring and autumn at the same time in our inner worlds, seasons of lovely expectations and longing.

With their profound, spiritual breezes, every sound and breath of air in Ramadan announces in a most exalted and exhilarating style all the pleasures we would like to taste in life and the hopes of good we deeply cherish.

Coming like successive rays of light, the smiling days of Ramadan envelop us with the expectations, hopes and joys they carry from the worlds beyond, and present to us samples from Paradise.

When Ramadan begins, our inner life, its thoughts and feelings, is renewed and strengthened. Breezes of mercy, coming in different wavelengths, unite with our hopes and expectations, and penetrate our hearts. In the enchanting days and illumined nights of Ramadan, we feel as if all the obstacles blocking our way to God are removed and the hills on that way are levelled.

Like rain pouring on the earth, Ramadan comes with streams of meanings and emotions that water dried and thirsty hearts, making the inner worlds of people propitious for new meanings and conceptions. By means of the light of the days, hours and minutes of this blessed month, hearts attain such spiritual depth and become so purified that they never desire to leave its climate of peace.

As Ramadan approaches, we live the delight of anticipation and preparation for it. The food and drink that come into our kitchens in the days before it comes, put us in mind of it with a thrill of expectation. And then it comes at last, laden with mercy and forgiveness. As soon as it honours us, each of us finds himself in a spiral of light rising toward the heavens and advances toward the Unknown Existent One in a new spiritual mood in the night-time and in another, different spiritual mood in daytime. We open our eyes to each of its days with a different solemnity and self-possession and reach every evening in an enchanting, delightful serenity.

The pleasant nights of Ramadan receive warmest welcome from all souls. Eyes look more deeply in them and people feel deeper love for each other. Everyone desires to do good to everyone and passions and ill-feeling are subjugated to a certain extent. In Ramadan everyone feels so much more attached to God and is so careful in his relations with others that it is impossible not to see this.

Believing souls taste the contentment of belief more deeply and experience the blessing of the good morals prescribed by Islam and the spiritual ease of doing good to others. Moreover, they try to expand, to share, this contentment, blessing and ease with others. Since these souls at rest are convinced that one day will come when this life will end in an eternal happiness and whatever they suffer and sacrifice here for God’s sake will be returned with very great reward, they struggle against their animal appetites in a mood of doing an act of worship. The meals they take at sunset to break the fast give them the pleasure of worship and are followed by early night prayer with the addition of the supererogatory service of worship particular to Ramadan. The meals they take before dawn to start fasting are united with supererogatory night prayer (tahajjud) and become a dimension of their nearness to God. Streets are filled with the people going to and returning from mosques, in which declarations of ‘God is the Greatest’ resound as in the Masjid al-Haram in Makka. You would think that the streets are each a mosque and each mosque is Ka‘ba. The people shaped by Ramadan in this way, though mortal in nature, gain a sort of eternity and each of their acts done in the consciousness of deliberate worship becomes a ceremony pertaming to the Hereafter.

egypt 2007
Member # 14398

Rate Member
Excellent - very well understood ...............
Pink cherry
Member # 13979

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pink cherry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Dzosser:
No booze for muslim ppl.for 33 days [Frown]

[Confused] [Confused] [Confused] Thought supposed 'good muslims' did not drink booze at any time [Confused] [Confused]
Posts: 643 | From: Over there | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SherryBlueBerry
Member # 13867

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for SherryBlueBerry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am not quite understanding Ramadan in Egypt. People start work later ... end earlier ... and do whatever after sunset. Their Ramadan doesn't seem near as sacrificial as here in the states. A Muslim here has to abide by their work hours...which normally are 8-5 with no accomodations for Muslims..which means the americans go on about their business eating drinking, etc. If one were to be unfortunate enough to have a job working outside in the heat...short of taking a month off work...the Muslim worker will be shown no favoritism..they come in at 7:00 or so...work outdoors all day...then go home around 5:00 or after.

I would think if the Egyptians got up at 6:00 a.m. and went off to a job all day until 5:00 or so...and then had their feast...and went to bed normal time...it would be different.

My friend there...he stays up til 3:00 or 4:00 a.m. then eats like a horse..smokes himself half to death...does his morning meal..then goes to bed until 10:00...goes to work until 2:00...then comes home...back to bed...then eating again like a horse til 3:00 or so. Is he sacrificing...doubtful. His only thing is he can't drink his tea all day long and smoke!

Just my thoughts...maybe I am wrong. I just see a lot of my Islamic friends here really struggling with their jobs and Ramadan.

I enjoy these posts....except the fights!

Posts: 263 | From: Georgia USA | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mysticheart
Member # 6838

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for mysticheart   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ramadan 2008
August 31– September 29 (American Continents only)
September 1– September 29 (Rest of the World)
God willing Ramadan begins on August 31, 2008 and ends on September 29, 2008 for North, Central and South America. However Europe, Africa, Middle East, Asia, and Australia start on September 1. The Night of Destiny (Night of Power) will be on September 25, 2008 for the Americas, God willing. It will be one day later (September 26, 2008) for the rest of the world.

The new moon times to be used for determining the beginning and ending of Ramadan are given below for UT (Universal time) – also called GMT (Greenwich Mean Time).

7:58 p.m. on August 30, 2008 (UT/GMT)

8:12 a.m. on September 29, 2008 (UT/GMT)

--------------------
http://image.lafemmebonita.com/c/av879029.jpg

Posts: 2410 | From: Indiana, USA | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gascious_Clay
Member # 13876

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gascious_Clay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Korvin's:

is teh best part and ur invited to breakst with us my frienddd
Posts: 53 | From: In the ring | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Korvin's
Member # 14099

Thank you and happy Ramadan though it is lil bit too early [Smile]
_
Member # 3567

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for _     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh wow I just realize there's not much gonna go on here until October!! [Frown]
Posts: 30135 | From: The owner of this website killed ES....... | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hairy grape
Member # 15602

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for hairy grape     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by SherryBlueBerry:
I am not quite understanding Ramadan in Egypt. People start work later ... end earlier ... and do whatever after sunset. Their Ramadan doesn't seem near as sacrificial as here in the states. A Muslim here has to abide by their work hours...which normally are 8-5 with no accomodations for Muslims..which means the americans go on about their business eating drinking, etc. If one were to be unfortunate enough to have a job working outside in the heat...short of taking a month off work...the Muslim worker will be shown no favoritism..they come in at 7:00 or so...work outdoors all day...then go home around 5:00 or after.

I would think if the Egyptians got up at 6:00 a.m. and went off to a job all day until 5:00 or so...and then had their feast...and went to bed normal time...it would be different.

My friend there...he stays up til 3:00 or 4:00 a.m. then eats like a horse..smokes himself half to death...does his morning meal..then goes to bed until 10:00...goes to work until 2:00...then comes home...back to bed...then eating again like a horse til 3:00 or so. Is he sacrificing...doubtful. His only thing is he can't drink his tea all day long and smoke!

Just my thoughts...maybe I am wrong. I just see a lot of my Islamic friends here really struggling with their jobs and Ramadan.

I enjoy these posts....except the fights!

you are right
Posts: 13 | From: fruit bowl of life | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com