EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Living in Egypt » Changes!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Changes!
QuiteEgyptian
Member # 15568

Rate Member
Icon 5 posted      Profile for QuiteEgyptian     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you were to re-construct our country, what would you change to make it best for everyone, citizens and non-citizens? always been curious to know from a foreigner's point of view (even though i don't consider non-citizens who live in Egypt as "foreigners").
This question is entirely a simple personal survey and not for any governmental purposes.
Please try to be as honest as possible as this might be heard and taken into consideration.

Posts: 435 | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
An Exercise in Futility
Member # 9889

Icon 1 posted      Profile for An Exercise in Futility         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
<PRNWAS>
Well I would try to get the treatment of animals changed. Its the one thing that really saddens me here - and I believe through better treatment of animals, the rest would follow.

Many Egyptians say the problem with Egypt is 'its not organized' and look to all the 'organized' countries. So I started a discussion about this in my ladies conversation class last week - the good positive attributes of Egyptians are their kindness, generosity of nature, willingness to help and I set the discussion along the lines of 'if Egypt were more organized, would it take something away from those positive characteristics of Egyptians' - which was interesting! At first the reaction was 'what has one thing to do with the other' - but then we explored it further..... and had a good discussion about it.

If you live an ordered, regulated life (= organized) then how do you cope with disruption which is inevitably caused by someone needing help of some description because by helping someone you 'perturb' the state and somewhere like Egypt which is slightly chaotic anyway, the perturbations go unnoticed, whereas in a highly ordered state it can cause big problems.

</PRNWAS>

(Philosophical Rambling of the Night and Work Avoidance Scheme)

Posts: 5593 | From: Egypt | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dzosser
Member # 9572

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dzosser   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
SQ..didn't the Egyptian vet. fix your cat for you ? don't expect anything more regarding animal rights...I was watching animal planet on TV and saw how in the States they'd penalize ppl. for not feeding their horses,dogs even pigs the right way and were taken away if they neglected them.The way they handled orphan animals and how attached they were to them when they had to give them up for adoption..the way they'd follow up with their new owners..how do you want this to happen in a country where humans are neglected a decent life?
Posts: 3219 | From: Wisdom comes with age, but sometimes age comes alone. | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
An Exercise in Futility
Member # 9889

Icon 1 posted      Profile for An Exercise in Futility         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes DZ the Egyptian vet did, and of course I don't mean all Egyptians treat animals badly.

But, a couple of weeks ago, I was out with a friend and we saw a horse bleeding from its chest, staggering in the road after having been hit by one of those yellow taxis - pulling its cart and two guys JUMPED ON THE CART and forced the horse to carry on up the road - it was shocking. Why did the men jump on the cart adding a burden to the poor horse?

Also, seeing the way people hit the donkeys that **are serving them** and put barbed wire round their heads under the bridles. Seeing people throwing things at cats and dogs.

You know I rarely say any 'bad' things about Egypt, but I'm sure if this one thing changed, its positive effect would ripple through society.

Posts: 5593 | From: Egypt | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Member # 14248

Icon 1 posted      Profile for *********     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The treatment of the animals disgusts me.

I cannot get my head around the cruelty, needless cruelty.
Just visit one of the shelters to see what I mean [Frown] , and I dont mean neglect, I mean torture!! [Mad]

Driving is my other bugbear.

This is a huge problem and I cannot wait till 1st Aug to see if the new rules will be applied or whether it is another load of old rubbish.

Nothing else bothers me so much.

Posts: 3416 | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dzosser
Member # 9572

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dzosser   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Caketel*khokh*:
Nothing else bothers me so much.

Being stared at as if you were a green alien,the norm is that being a foreigner means being damn bloody rich or a fool.
Posts: 3219 | From: Wisdom comes with age, but sometimes age comes alone. | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Penny
Member # 1925

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Penny     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I believe everything starts with education.

The changes needed will not come with the present generation its has to begin with the next.
All those things we find so upsetting...cruelty to animals, rubbish in the streets, lack of respect for life in dangerous driving, corruption at all levels of society, sexual harrassment of women.....
Change has to to start with new education programmes in the schools and advertising campaigns on TV.

Posts: 3809 | From: Paradise | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tibe-at-work
Member # 14907

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tibe-at-work     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would cut down on the policeforce and give the remaining officers a good education and a better salery. Then let them all know out humanrights and that if you step out of line with eother a turist or a native - YOUR OUT OF THE FORCE IMMEDIALY.
Then i would outlaw the use of torture.

Then i would hire more garbage workers to keep the street clean and make a lot of recycling factories. Inform people and children about envoirment and recycling. Turist will love a cleaner Egypt. Do some good for wildlife and nature in general. The red sea is the biggest tresure of Egypt and should be protected from polution.

Then make a rule that in all public schools there must max 25 students in a class and a law that say EVERY CHILD HAVE TO GO TO SCHOOL and have the right to a good and free education. Its the children that will build the future of the land.

And that must be enough on my first day a Mubarak substitute. [Big Grin]

Posts: 281 | From: Denmark | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
shadiyah
Member # 15227

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for shadiyah         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The attitude to and treatment of foreigners is the thing I wish could be changed. I can't stand all the disrespect and the staring, as if we are some kind of alien species.

It is assumed that we are rich, so we are charged more for everything, which is unfair and crazy - I struggle to buy my groceries every week.

And I won't even go into the sexual harrassment. I wish I could walk down the street here without men following me and making comments to me. I wish I could go to a cafe and have a quiet drink without being chatted up by the waiter. I wish foreign women could be respected. Egypt needs to be educated about the ways of the rest of the world, and about tolerance of these ways.

Posts: 45 | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Questionmarks
Member # 12336

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Questionmarks     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Also education. A country rises and falls by the educational level of its civilians, in every aspect of life...

--------------------
“Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing, there is a field. I will meet you there.”

Posts: 7202 | From: EU | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eve&Vin
Member # 14990

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eve&Vin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes ????, I totally agree with you. The goverment must start educating the people the right ways of life, like respecting ppl, culture and religion.

If the Govt dun educate the ppl, the ppl are like frogs in the well, dun know how big is the world, how different the outside world is.

And corruption, a country can't grow is there is constant corruption going on.

There is still a long way for egypt to grow and become a 1st class nation. But first the govt must walk the talk.

Posts: 58 | From: Singapore | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
imagine
Member # 11591

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for imagine   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ?????:
Also education. A country rises and falls by the educational level of its civilians, in every aspect of life...

And thats where it all starts... proper education is the key word here.
Posts: 712 | From: Hurghada | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Korvin's
Member # 14099

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Korvin's     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ditto...
Posts: 890 | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com