EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Living in Egypt » Egypt Ends Daylight Saving Before Ramadan

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Egypt Ends Daylight Saving Before Ramadan
NotSleeplessInCairo
Member # 8452

Icon 1 posted      Profile for NotSleeplessInCairo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Egypt’s daylight saving time for 2008 will end at midnight between August 28 and August 29, when the country will wind the clock back by one hour.

When the clocks turn back, Egypt will revert to Eastern European Time (EET), which is two hours ahead of Coordinated Universal Time (UTC) (or UTC +2 hours). During the daylight saving period, Egypt is on Eastern European Summer Time (EEST), where the time is three hours ahead of UTC (or UTC +3 hours).

End Date Coincides with Ramadan
Timeanddate.com contacted the Egyptian State Tourist Office in the United Kingdom, and an officer confirmed that the clocks would move back at midnight on Thursday night, August 28, 2008, due to Ramadan, which is the month of fasting for Muslims. Many Muslims fast during the hours of daylight during Ramadan, which is the ninth month in the Islamic calendar. Ramadan is predicted to begin around (or close to) September 2 and end around October 1 in 2008.

Egypt usually operates its daylight saving time between the last Friday in April and the last Thursday in September. However, the dates may vary because Ramadan, the fasting month for Muslims, is taken into consideration. In 2007 Egypt reverted from daylight saving time (UTC +3 hours) to its regular time (UTC +2 hours) on midnight between September 6 and September 7 due to the observance of Ramadan. The time conversions tend to occur close to a Friday, which is regarded as a day of rest and a holy day in the Muslim working week.

Source

Posts: 815 | From: London and the other | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seabreeze
Member # 10289

Icon 1 posted      Profile for seabreeze     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When does the weather start to cool down, that's what I want to know!! [Frown]
I can't remember if it is in September of October. [Frown]

Posts: 13440 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
NotSleeplessInCairo
Member # 8452

Icon 1 posted      Profile for NotSleeplessInCairo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I do vaguely remember that last September was still quite hot ... more hardship, more rewards? [Smile]

I heard last year that it was gonna be the last time they observe daylight saving because Ramadan is heading into summer months now.

May Allah accept our fast, good deeds, extra prayers and help us to survive Ramadan in the hot days! Ameen

Posts: 815 | From: London and the other | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seabreeze
Member # 10289

Icon 1 posted      Profile for seabreeze     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
God willing, it will not be too hot for the fasting days. It's difficult enough when we aren't fasting. [Frown]

Thanks for reminding us about the time change NSIC!

Posts: 13440 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
_
Member # 3567

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for _     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Islamic Events 2009*
1st Ramadan (Fasting Begins) August 22, 2009
Lailatul-Qadr (Night of Power) September 16, 2009
Eid-al-Fitr (End of Ramadan) September 20, 2009

Islamic Events 2010*
Ramadan Begins in North America: August 11, 2010
Lailat Ul Qadr (Night of Power): September 05, 2010
Eid-Al-Fitr (End of Ramadan): September 10, 2010

Islamic Events 2011*
1st Ramadan (Fasting Begins) August 01, 2011
Lailatul-Qadr (Night of Power) August 26, 2011
Eid-al-Fitr (End of Ramadan) August 30, 2011

Islamic Events 2012*
1st Ramadan (Fasting Begins) July 20, 2012
Lailatul-Qadr (Night of Power) August 14, 2012
Eid-al-Fitr (End of Ramadan) August 19, 2012

Islamic Events 2013*
1st Ramadan (Fasting Begins) July 09, 2013
Lailatul-Qadr (Night of Power) August 03, 2013
Eid-al-Fitr (End of Ramadan) August 08, 2013

Islamic Events 2014*
1st Ramadan (Fasting Begins) June 28, 2014
Lailatul-Qadr (Night of Power) July 23, 2014
Eid-al-Fitr (End of Ramadan) July 28, 2014

Islamic Events 2015*
1st Ramadan (Fasting Begins) June 18, 2015
Lailatul-Qadr (Night of Power) July 13, 2015
Eid-al-Fitr (End of Ramadan) July 17, 2015

http://www.holidays.net/ramadan/dates.htm

Posts: 30135 | From: The owner of this website killed ES....... | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Penny
Member # 1925

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Penny     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have got brain fade today, can somone just confirm then that Egypt will be one hour ahead of UK after the clocks change. I think the landing times on my flight 3rd Sept are now wrong.
Posts: 3809 | From: Paradise | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seabreeze
Member # 10289

I'm not sure about the UK but I know once the time changes Egypt will be 7 hours ahead of those in the States (central time zone). [Big Grin]
Member # 14248

Icon 1 posted      Profile for *********     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We are 2 hours ahead of GMT now so when it goes back we will be one hour ahead of GMT and one hour behind KSA.......

I'm positive....I think.....

Posts: 3416 | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
young at heart
Member # 10365

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for young at heart     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes Penny Uk will be 1 hour behind Egypt.
Posts: 4476 | From: Scotland | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cbrbddd
Member # 3891

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for cbrbddd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by With a name like Smuckers:
I'm not sure about the UK but I know once the time changes Egypt will be 7 hours ahead of those in the States (central time zone). [Big Grin]

i always hope they get it right [Big Grin]
Posts: 895 | From: NorthTexas, USA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Desertgirl
Member # 12450

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Desertgirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Belgium will be the same as Egypt again.
Right?

Posts: 2932 | From: Just now and then | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seabreeze
Member # 10289

quote:
Originally posted by cbrbddd:
quote:
Originally posted by With a name like Smuckers:

i always hope they get it right [Big Grin]
What do you mean? [Confused]
BTW, has Dallas weather been bad this summer where you are?

Nile-Hilton
Member # 15625

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nile-Hilton   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We are so pampered in Egypt:)
Posts: 109 | From: Nile Hilton | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sherribaby
Member # 15378

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sherribaby     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Penny I have booked my flight for October, I had same thought but it appears my flight has been calculated correctly. However, did land once before in Egypt and even the captain told us the wrong time difference we spent the first evening totally confused as to why we were arriving early for our meal and meeting in hotel etc! [Big Grin]
Posts: 547 | From: uk | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Penny
Member # 1925

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Penny     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Yes the October flights would have been calculated correctly as the time would normally have changed just before the end of September, but I think there are going to be some confused people with early September flights like mine.
Posts: 3809 | From: Paradise | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com