EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Living in Egypt » 500 buried under rubble in Cairo!! Moqattam (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: 500 buried under rubble in Cairo!! Moqattam
Member # 14248

Icon 9 posted      Profile for *********     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just on Al Jazeera

around 500 people buried under their homes after a landslide in Cairo. Trapped are still waiting for rescue services!!!

Tiger please update if you find anything [Frown]

Posts: 3416 | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mo Ning Min E
Member # 681

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mo Ning Min E     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
BBC
At least 20 people have been killed by a rockslide which destroyed homes in Cairo, emergency services say.

Dozens of houses in the shanty town east of central Cairo were hit by huge boulders and rocks, reports said.

Witnesses said a six-storey building in the impoverished Duwayqa district below the Muqattam hills had been completely reduced to rubble.

Some people are believed to be still trapped in the rubble and police have cordoned off the are

Reports said that at least eight boulders - each estimated to weigh about 70 tonnes - had fallen from the towering cliffs overlooking the district at about 0900 local time (0700 GMT).

Posts: 1399 | From: alexandria | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Member # 14248

Icon 1 posted      Profile for *********     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hundreds buried in Cairo rockslide

The size of the boulders hampered initial rescue efforts

Hundreds of people have been crushed in their homes after a mountain landslide in a small town on the outskirts of Egypt's capital.

Officials said at least eight rocks, some measuring 30m high, had buried more than 50 homes in the poor district of Manshiyet Nasron on Saturday.

At least 18 people have been declared dead and 35 injured.

Some estimates put the number of buried at 500.

Police are still waiting for heavy machinery to lift the rocks, some weighing between 60 and 70 tons.

One witness said a six-storey building had been reduced to rubble by the impact.

Hassan Ibrahim Hassan, 80, whose house escaped the destruction, said: "It was horror. The power went out, we heard a loud bang like an earthquake, and I thought this house had collapsed.

"I went out and I saw the whole mountain had collapsed."

Manshiyet Nasron is notoriously overcrowded. Most of the apartment buildings provide families with only a single room.

The town's buildings are cramped at the base of the Mouqattum hills next to a main highway into Cairo.

Poverty and overcrowding

In a survey carried out by UN Habitat, a human settlement programme, Manshiyet Nasron is described as "the largest squatter/informal area in Cairo. There are 350,000 persons living in this area on about 850 acres with a gross residential density more than 400 persons/acre".

"The area is suffering from poor living qualities, inadequate services, lack of infrastructure, and deteriorated environmental conditions. The site is characterised by sharp contour variations ranging between 56 and 200m," the survey said.

In 2003, the housing ministry, under the auspices of the Suzanne Mubarak, the wife of the Egyptian president, launched a campaign to provide housing for some of the poorest Cairo residents, including in the affected town.

Slow response

Much of the digging is being done by hand by relatives and neighbours searching for survivors or bodies. Police have brought in sniffer dogs to locate the trapped.

Locals were enraged at what they saw as an inadequate government response.

Witnesses described hundreds of weeping and screaming family members cursing the local authorities and saying they had relatives and friends trapped beneath the rubble.

Hussein Abdul Ghani, Al Jazeera’s Egypt bureau chief, said: "Rescue teams and civil defence employees do not know what to do or how to rescue those trapped under the debris."

One man said to a policeman at the scene: "You've just got your hands in your pockets, you're not doing anything."

Parliament fire

A fire in Egypt's upper house of parliament in August, in which one person died, was fought by the military using helicopters.

Abdul Ghani said the cause of the landslide could have been from a contractor who was carrying out construction work at the top of the mountain.

Manshiyet Nasron residents had informed the authorities a year ago that there was a split between the rocks, a potential danger to the homes below.

Police expect the toll to rise.

http://english.aljazeera.net/news/middleeast/2008/09/20089611533425930.html

Posts: 3416 | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
yorkshire rose
Member # 12072

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for yorkshire rose   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Was there a quake in the night, anyone feel anything, my husband is sure the bed was moving, i wasnt in it at the time so i didnt feel nothing.
anyone feel any shaking?

--------------------
Alison Faragalla

Posts: 4149 | From: Egypt | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Winston
Member # 15781

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Winston     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It was written.
Posts: 21 | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
antably
Member # 15755

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for antably     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
by thw way it was not mokatam
its away from there its called naser and it is not the first time which happend there

Posts: 51 | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Member # 14248

Icon 1 posted      Profile for *********     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you look at the news and all the hurricanes and earthquakes and landslides and stuff and think that if this stuff was all happening in biblical times, the people would be saying it was the wrath of God.

Nowadays people don't assume it is God.

We all prefer to blame global warming.

Do you think we are choosing to ignore the 'signs'?

and if we do believe it is the work of God, then why specific places and not others?

Member # 14248

quote:
Originally posted by antably:
by thw way it was not mokatam
its away from there its called naser and it is not the first time which happend there

so is it not at the base of the Moqattam Hills then as the article say's? [Confused]
Dawn-Bev*
Member # 15190

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dawn-Bev*     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
oh no, thats terrible news

[Frown]

Posts: 712 | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
antably
Member # 15755

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for antably     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
yes ramadan its away from mokkatam
its in the other side of mokatam

Posts: 51 | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mo Ning Min E
Member # 681

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mo Ning Min E     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"and if we do believe it is the work of God, then why specific places and not others? "

99% of these natural disasters affect the poor.
Don't see Maadi getting buried under rubble any time soon.

Posts: 1399 | From: alexandria | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cheekyferret
Member # 15263

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cheekyferret     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The news said it could have been caused by the work of the contractors so neither was it a natural disaster or an act of God!!!!

It is awful news [Frown]

Posts: 11097 | From: Cairo | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
antably
Member # 15755

Rate Member
also the news saied no body moves till now to save the people under these huge rocks
nasrcity
Member # 15037

Icon 1 posted      Profile for nasrcity   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
http://africa.reuters.com/world/news/usnL6294965.html
Posts: 154 | From: somewhere in the uk | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tom jones
Member # 15768

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for tom jones   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes i just got a breaking news email on this ,this is sad so sad and in the time of Ramadan so all good egyptians out there or not egyptian rally round and look after your brother and sisters .And pray for one prayer in this time is a life time of prayers .
Allah bless all that is safe but remember dying in ramadan is enternal life .Still does not make anything better but my prayers are with them all .

--------------------
"Most men are accredited fools shortly after they leave the womb.”

Posts: 1116 | From: WARNING All stressed out & no one to choke | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
chantlove
Member # 14871

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for chantlove     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
very sad news, just watched Sky, they said official report 90 deaths - but their live report from location estimates about 500 people. My prayer goes to them.
Posts: 52 | From: Cairo | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
antably
Member # 15755

Rate Member
i think they are more than 500 people this area had got in it many people its like a very big village
miffmiss
Member # 14978

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for miffmiss     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
oh this is all so awful. I am gonna go switch on sky news now cos this is the 1st i have heard about it
Posts: 1710 | From: we come in peace | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
antably
Member # 15755

Rate Member
yes thats very bad
miffmiss
Member # 14978

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for miffmiss     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sky news is saying 31 found dead but over 500 people expected to still be buried under the rubble. They dont know the cause but it was a landslide. What time did it fall does anyone know
Posts: 1710 | From: we come in peace | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
antably
Member # 15755

Rate Member
god bless all them this are is very poor most of the people there works with pigs they grow them up and sell them
antably
Member # 15755

Rate Member
this happened at 8 am
Supercalafragalistic
Member # 15631

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Supercalafragalistic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
holy crap! i was up that mountain yesterday visiting family friends! soo scary and so sad [Frown]
Posts: 1248 | From: my sex is on fire!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
miffmiss
Member # 14978

Member Rated:
hopefully a lot of the people would have left the homes by then and seen it coming. If it was in the dead of night there would be more fatalities.

Where is it FK i cant picture it at all. What is near there that i would know.

antably
Member # 15755

Rate Member
it is near the castle of mohamed aly
Supercalafragalistic
Member # 15631

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Supercalafragalistic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
MM I don't even know where I live!! I just follow the family wherever they go! x
Posts: 1248 | From: my sex is on fire!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
_
Member # 3567

Rate Member
Icon 9 posted      Profile for _     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
OMG.... I was out today!! This is really tragic!! [Frown] [Frown] [Frown]

Okay guys, follow the link for pics here:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/in_pictures/7601983.stm

Okay now I got two questiosn:

Is it a Coptic Christian living area?

Wasn't there any studies out and warnings that this might could happen? The Egyptian Government wasn't aware of it??

Posts: 30135 | From: The owner of this website killed ES....... | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
_
Member # 3567

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for _     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
this happened at 8 am

Yes I would think that many people still slept; if Muslims lived in this area most likely because of Ramadan.

They gonna find way more dead bodies, the rescue is just on for several hours now. I am afraid I don't believe that authorities even knew how many people exactly lived there.

I am shattered. What horrible news. [Frown] [Frown] [Frown]

quote:
Originally posted by miffmiss:
hopefully a lot of the people would have left the homes by then and seen it coming. If it was in the dead of night there would be more fatalities.

You know such a landslide goes pretty quick, there are no warning signs and there's not really much time to react. You simply get caught by horrible surprise and that's it.
Posts: 30135 | From: The owner of this website killed ES....... | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mkhasen
Member # 15388

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for mkhasen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am new to Cairo. A month ago I was in the car with driver in that area. And first thought I had, My God, this might collapse one day. My driver was laughing, saying, no way. And it happened.

I find that Egyptian people are very reckless to their lives. People are driving in highways like maniacs and not rare in opposite direction. I travel a lot between cities in Egypt. I saw dead people on highways several times afer accidents.

Posts: 19 | From: Cairo | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bob the dog
Member # 4691

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for bob the dog     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That's really sad!!! Especially during ramadan!!
The saddest thing is.... it wasn't even significant to make it to the news here.... ES was the first I heard of it!!!
My heart goes out to all the people this terrible tragedy has touched.

Posts: 4238 | From: USA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amr-
Member # 15737

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Amr-     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WggrmJlMmKE

God Bless them all

Posts: 206 | From: Afghanistan | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
NotSleeplessInCairo
Member # 8452

Icon 1 posted      Profile for NotSleeplessInCairo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is too sad [Frown] May Allah bless them and ease their suffering.

This place (Manshiet Nasser) is number 24 on the list of 30 largest mega slums in the world. Unfortunately Egypt has 4 out of the 30 on that list. It's terrible what is happening in this country....

I thought the Germans had a program to rebuild this area, the sign has been up for as long as I can remember. All I've seen is new seats to sit on.. fat lot of good that is [Frown]

Posts: 815 | From: London and the other | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
_
Member # 3567

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for _     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by mamasue:
The saddest thing is.... it wasn't even significant to make it to the news here.... ES was the first I heard of it!!!

No actually last night these news made it f.e. already on Yahoo's frontpage.
_
Member # 3567

Rate Member
Icon 5 posted      Profile for _     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by NotSleeplessInCairo:

I thought the Germans had a program to rebuild this area, the sign has been up for as long as I can remember. All I've seen is new seats to sit on.. fat lot of good that is [Frown]

Please you are not trying to blame another nation for this tragedy, do you??

I do not just want to jump to conclusions but that's how you make it sound.

Germans or any other countries can provide help, many things are done on voluntary basis but the major effort has to come from YOUR government.

"In 2003, Germany's overseas development arm (GTZ) and the Egyptian government joined forces to upgrade Manshiet Nasser's infrastructure through a €15m grant from the German government to improve water and sewage distribution and treatment, road paving and other works."

http://www.alertnet.org/thenews/newsdesk/IRIN/b039520043692b021c23d77c4f036e71.htm

AND YES ITS THE GERMANS WHO ARE TRYING TO HELP.

If the Egyptian government doesn't offer these underprivileged people safe housing and lets them build without licenses there is nothing we can do about.

Questionmarks
Member # 12336

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Questionmarks     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
EU countries have been donating for hundreds of Billions! There are lists about it. http://www.delegy.ec.europa.eu/en/eu_funded_programmes/overview.htm

--------------------
“Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing, there is a field. I will meet you there.”

Posts: 7202 | From: EU | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
An Exercise in Futility
Member # 9889

Icon 1 posted      Profile for An Exercise in Futility         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I haven't been able to find any links to making donations to the families. Will keep looking.

I don't think its the Copt area (though from the pictures it looks pretty similar to Zebulan town).

Posts: 5593 | From: Egypt | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Culture Club
Member # 13767

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Culture Club     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
it is near the castle of mohamed aly

Yes, I remembered I was standing at the entrance and looked far to the Moqattam hills. My Egyptian husband said that was military station is on the hill.

I am very sorry to hear this happened. I wish I could help ladies there to find their children, husbands, relatives to dig up the rocks with my bare hands.

Posts: 756 | From: ...be solution... | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hmozachsown
Member # 14872

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for hmozachsown     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Culture I agree..."I am very sorry to hear this happened. I wish I could help ladies there to find their children, husbands, relatives to dig up the rocks with my bare hands. "

When my fiancee and I were watching the news yesterday when it first happened I saw this huge crowd of people just standing there to talk to the reporter and I said to him, what the heck!!! Why are they waiting to talk on TV? Why arent they HELPING. I dont care if you dont have big maschenery if you have your hands you can TRY. He got so upset with me for saying that, said that they couldnt move the big boulders by hand. I am still learning some of the differances in the way we think. I finally told him, if it were me under the rocks would you be talking to the TV crew or trying to find any way to dig me out?
If it were him or someone I loved they would have to bodily drag me away and restrain me to keep me from trying to find people. (Heck before that squabble I sincerely wanted to go and help if at all possible. Maybe wouldnt do any good, but not trying certainly accomplishes nothing eh?)

Posts: 172 | From: Cairo/Ismailia | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Member # 14248

I tried to follow it most of yesterday.
From what I can gather the stones that flattened the houses were huge. 8 of them are sitting on the 50 or so houses. 10-15 occupants to each house.

The people are trapped under those stones.

I think the authorities were right to evacuate the people out and wait till the proper equipment arrived. If you try to dig around unstable ground to save the rest you may end up killing them if the stones shift. Remember we are talking sand here as a foundation.
The heavy plant machinery was in a distant location and the news said that because of the chaos of Cairo's roads it was taking so long to get it there because as you all know, Egyptian drivers will NEVER make way for another vehicle [Roll Eyes] . They wont move for a screaming ambulance so they wont for sure make way for a crane or bulldozer. That is the nature of the people I'm afraid [Frown]
Cordoning off the highways would have led to rioting so the government had little choice really.

The plant machinery is there now, but they had 2 problems from what was reported.
No access road to drive it up was one. Early on the police tried to move villagers away so that men could lift the railway to gain access. As the police moved the villagers away to clear the way they just came back, hindering the relief efforts.

The government then issued a command to clear the area because there was more shifting of the stones and more cracks appearing. They were afraid that there would be a further landslide. The police and soldiers tried in vain to evacuate the area and the status at the moment is that the area is still full of villagers and now onlookers who have flocked to the scene to watch . The only people it seems have moved are the journalists.
At the moment the bulldozers are trying to clear a path to the stones so that the crane can lift them off the buildings. This is made more difficult by the villagers who are in the way and blocking the progress.

They need to take it slowly and get the best advice possible from the experts around the world to save the few alive under there.
Hysterical screaming and face slapping, and digging with hands in the soft sand will not save their loved ones.
I think they just have to trust the experts and hope that they can at least get out some alive .

They are saying that raw sewage and water leakage has caused the collapse of the rocks due to seepage.

Same thing Zahi Hawass is saying about the shanty towns around the pyramids destroying the bedrock of the pyramids plateau. Eventually they too will collapse into the sand [Frown]

These shanty towns need to be bulldozed.

But the problem is what to do with all these people........

chantlove
Member # 14871

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for chantlove     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
[Frown] to think about how big Egypt is - the government could have done something to spread the population instead of letting them crammed in some areas.
I hope the villagers would realise and back off and let the experts do their job.

Posts: 52 | From: Cairo | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Member # 14248

I was thinking about this too.

But it would not work.

This is why.

You have a population of the majority are uneducated and unskilled. Just like the people of the Shanty town there.

You take him and his wife and 10 kids out to the desert and give him a piece of land to farm with a house and utilities and you buy his produce to use or export.
As long as dad lives everything is okay. he has a house and income.
Then dad dies.
Inheritance laws here say that the property and land are divided amongst the children. He has 10!!
So what used to be a decent piece of land with an income, after dad's death becomes a 1/10th share. So each child if they are sons has a portion. Not enough to live on if it is divided. Some will sell it for building, so then have no income from growing crops.
The that child has 10 children and his piece of land is further divided in a 1/10th on his death.
Now you have a piece of land that used to support a whole family has become the size of a 'bathroom'

This is what was tried years ago. To give them a bit land, but the inheritance rules that they live by destroy any income in 2 generations. So they had to move to the cities. This is what we have now.
People who have 10 children and cannot feed them living in squalor. Selling tissues on the street with filthy babies in their arms for a few piastres.

I really have no idea what the government can do about this huge problem [Frown]

Seriously what steps could they take tomorrow?

_
Member # 3567

Rate Member
Alison, have you been trying to get closer to the area??

The news still say 18 to 31 victims so far (reports vary), there was no update since last night. But there must be way more people still underneath the rubble.

Angry residents clash with police after Cairo rockslide

3 hours ago

CAIRO (AFP) — Furious residents of a Cairo shantytown Sunday hurled stones and insults at authorities for "inefficient" rescue efforts after a massive rockslide flattened homes and buried whole families under the rubble.

"Residents are throwing stones at police and shouting at civil defence officials. They are angry because they say rescue efforts are slow and inefficient," a security official told AFP on condition of anonymity...

http://afp.google.com/article/ALeqM5j4gUBPRnp31K4WkclJaHmf9f9d2A

Supercalafragalistic
Member # 15631

I live about 10mins away from where this happened, so my family have told me...

just want to remind anyone who hasn't already to text or contact loved ones, especially if they're in a different country to let them know you're ok. I text my mum last night, she saw it on the news this morning and i know that if i hadn't of text her she would have been having kittens worrying about me.

Member # 14248

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Tigerlily:
[QB] Alison, have you been trying to get closer to the area??

The news still say 18 to 31 victims so far (reports vary), there was no update since last night. But there must be way more people still underneath the rubble.[QUOTE]

No I think folk should stay away and let the rescue people get on with it without any hassle.
I heard a guy from Kefaya on the news talking and he said that some of the villagers actually killed a few people who were alive under the rubble.
He said they pushed past the police and started to move stones and rubble off the area where they thought their family was, only to throw them on the adjacent pile of rubble causing it to collapse and kill the few people who were shouting and alive in that part!! [Frown]

He said that there was a housing development not far away called the Suzanne Mubarak Housing Dev, and months ago the people were told to leave and go to new homes there, because of the dangers of landslide. Only a few famlies moved, and he said even some of them returned after a few weeks.

So far the confirmed dead is 31 and the PM Nawaz was visiting some of the injured, mainly kids in hospital. They showed that on the news.

If they do it right they should be able to save quite a few who have survived the initial landslide as long as they take their time and do it expertly. Folk can survive quite a long time in rubble with no food and water as we have seen already.

The bulldozers are there and clearing the way for the cranes. The people need to move and let them get on with it and if that means 'frogmarching' them out then so be it.

God help the folk underneath all that [Frown]

Winston
Member # 15781

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Winston     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It was written.
Posts: 21 | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Naifin
Member # 15711

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Naifin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I saw this place with my own eyes its a sight to behold and never forgotten I was on my way to see the Monastery of St. Simian the Tanner
This is a must see but few tourist or even Egyptians know about this Monastery
Directions: take the autostrad till moqattam area turning left just before moqattam directly up to the monastery...

The village of Mansheiyet Nasr ( this is where the rock slide took place )is where the Zabbaleen=garbage collectors live and work yes they are mostly Copts its on the opposite side of the road from the Citadel
Its not for the faint hearted ...
these people are very poor they collect garbage as a means of income I am sure you have seen their donkey and carts traversing Cairo ..they take the garbage home and then sort it... The streets are very narrow and strewn with garbage Imagine the smell ..It was awful and had to keep the car windows closed I did not like taking photos of this suffering but did take some of the magnificent Monastery
The Monastery contains seven Churches and Chapels hidden in a series of caves in the Muqattam hills.

I can imagine the difficulty of rescuing people the way the village is build everything on top and closely build and steep roads throw in the Egypt factor and you are living a nightmare !

Posts: 11 | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
_
Member # 3567

Rate Member
Welcome to this forum, Naifin, and thank you for your contribution.

I am wondering how many days or even weeks the Egyptians will take to go through all the rubble and truly find how out how many people became victims in this disaster?

[Frown]

An Exercise in Futility
Member # 9889

Icon 1 posted      Profile for An Exercise in Futility         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So it IS the zebulan place Naifin?

I visited the St Simon Tanner twice this year and was actually planning to go there again soon with someone else - the story of St Simon involves the Mokkatam mountain 'moving' in the 10th Century so it is obviously a place susceptible to earth movements of some sort.

Posts: 5593 | From: Egypt | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
young at heart
Member # 10365

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for young at heart     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What was shocking was that hours later they were still waiting for the heavy lifting equipment [Frown]
Posts: 4476 | From: Scotland | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ma 'amaltuhoosh
Member # 15639

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ma 'amaltuhoosh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Inspector Barnaby:
I was thinking about this too.

But it would not work.

This is why.

You have a population of the majority are uneducated and unskilled. Just like the people of the Shanty town there.

You take him and his wife and 10 kids out to the desert and give him a piece of land to farm with a house and utilities and you buy his produce to use or export.
As long as dad lives everything is okay. he has a house and income.
Then dad dies.
Inheritance laws here say that the property and land are divided amongst the children. He has 10!!
So what used to be a decent piece of land with an income, after dad's death becomes a 1/10th share. So each child if they are sons has a portion. Not enough to live on if it is divided. Some will sell it for building, so then have no income from growing crops.
The that child has 10 children and his piece of land is further divided in a 1/10th on his death.
Now you have a piece of land that used to support a whole family has become the size of a 'bathroom'

This is what was tried years ago. To give them a bit land, but the inheritance rules that they live by destroy any income in 2 generations. So they had to move to the cities. This is what we have now.
People who have 10 children and cannot feed them living in squalor. Selling tissues on the street with filthy babies in their arms for a few piastres.

I really have no idea what the government can do about this huge problem [Frown]

Seriously what steps could they take tomorrow?

It has more to do with villagers learning in the 60s and 70s of better jobs and healthcare in Cairo.

Major land owners adopt modern agricultural practices and thus less farm workers, the sons move to the cities in the 70s and 80s.

Between the agricultural and industrial revolution; in addition to the fear of having the family men being drafted to build public works. Such as the Suez Canal 4 in 10 died while or shortly after forcibly serve during its construction. With Sadat in power immediately after the Aswan dam being built, planning the second Delta project.

Well it was time to flee to the city, un registered addresses hinders authorities ability to locate persons.

Posts: 313 | From: Between yuppies and chronics | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com