EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Living in Egypt » best place live for an expat

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: best place live for an expat
jeevio23
Member # 15144

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for jeevio23     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi,

I am moving to Cairo on October 2nd and am currently thinking of where I should live. I have seen flats for rent in nasr city, downtown cairo and Giza. Could you please tell me if any of these are decent places for a non arabic speaking Englishman to live. I'd like a place with a decent mixture of the two, natives and expats.

Thanks in advance

Posts: 20 | From: London | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pink cherry
Member # 13979

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pink cherry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have lived in Nasr City and there is a good mix of people there. Did look at Giza but I thought that was too far out.....especially if you dont have some Arabic.

I settled on Maadi. Again a good mix and there is an expat organization that helps you acclimatise to the country......It really depends where you are going to work etc

Posts: 643 | From: Over there | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BIC RUNGA ROCKS ACCEPTS NO PMs
Member # 14666

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BIC RUNGA ROCKS ACCEPTS NO PMs   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i live currently in New Cairo..wonderful ..clean ..quiet and rental is far less than Nasr City or Maadi...and still..very close to Nasr city and Maadi in distance.. close to Universities and Schools..Malls..for me ..it is the best place to live in Cairo Currently .
Posts: 151 | From: hidden somewhere | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Questionmarks
Member # 12336

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Questionmarks     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
New Cairo, for sure. Only one possible problem comes into my mind: do you want to travel by public transport? Because I don't know how that is arranged there...

--------------------
“Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing, there is a field. I will meet you there.”

Posts: 7202 | From: EU | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
malak
Member # 3654

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for malak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I live in Al Rehab, got a bit of everything, I have seen expats around but don't actually know any........except SQ in 6th OCT:)
Posts: 288 | From: UK | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
An Exercise in Futility
Member # 9889

Icon 1 posted      Profile for An Exercise in Futility         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Depends what your plans are - will you be working? If so it is better to base your decision based on that as commuting in Cairo can be a nightmare.

I live approx half way between Giza and 6th October City - there's only a sprinkling of expats round here which is fine by me. I can get Downtown in 1-2 hours depending on day and time using microbus and metro.

Posts: 5593 | From: Egypt | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kalila : )
Member # 14517

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kalila : )         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
where is the city stars mall SQ? and are there any hotels around that will take a tourist for 2 or 3 nights only?
Posts: 3945 | From: ' Res Contr ' Amor non es guirens, lai on sos poders s'atura | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
_
Member # 3567

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for _     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by jeevio23:
Hi,

I am moving to Cairo on October 2nd and am currently thinking of where I should live. I have seen flats for rent in nasr city, downtown cairo and Giza. Could you please tell me if any of these are decent places for a non arabic speaking Englishman to live. I'd like a place with a decent mixture of the two, natives and expats.

Thanks in advance

If you like to go out stay in Mohandseen or even better Zamalek. Lots of expats around; you're not gonna have any problems to make contacts.
Posts: 30135 | From: The owner of this website killed ES....... | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
An Exercise in Futility
Member # 9889

Icon 1 posted      Profile for An Exercise in Futility         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
City Stars is over Nasr City way. Take a microbus from Ramses Station to Makram Abeid, then its about 10 mins walk from there.

Sorry I don't have any info about hotels over in that direction.

Posts: 5593 | From: Egypt | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
_
Member # 3567

Rate Member
Icon 2 posted      Profile for _     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Kalila:
where is the city stars mall SQ? and are there any hotels around that will take a tourist for 2 or 3 nights only?

The Intercontinental Hotel is located right in the CityStars complex.

http://www.ichotelsgroup.com/intercontinental/en/gb/locations/overview/crohc

Posts: 30135 | From: The owner of this website killed ES....... | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kalila : )
Member # 14517

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kalila : )         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Tigerlily:
quote:
Originally posted by Kalila:

The Intercontinental Hotel is located right in the CityStars complex.

http://www.ichotelsgroup.com/intercontinental/en/gb/locations/overview/crohc

Thank you Tiger [Wink]
Posts: 3945 | From: ' Res Contr ' Amor non es guirens, lai on sos poders s'atura | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jeevio23
Member # 15144

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for jeevio23     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for the replies guys. Do you have any email addresses or contacts for the expate organisations? I really need it now as I was supposed to be meeting with my cousin who was gonna help me acclimatise but he won't be coming for a few months. I don't know anyone so I really will be flying solo! Any help would be greatly appreciated. Also, are there any other sites besides Craigslist that has appartments for rent in Cairo.

Thank you guys

p.s For those who are into football I want to support a team in Cairo but haven't decided which one, any ideas? they don't have to be successful(i support QPR in England!) just a team with character would be great!

Posts: 20 | From: London | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pink cherry
Member # 13979

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pink cherry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
CSA in Maadi......www.livinginegypt.org
Posts: 643 | From: Over there | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
chantlove
Member # 14871

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for chantlove     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
BCA (British Community Association) in Mohandeseen - www.bcaegypt.com
Posts: 52 | From: Cairo | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Naifin
Member # 15711

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Naifin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
http://livinginegypt.org/Home/tabid/149/Default.aspx

Football that would have to be the most successful club in Africa Al Ahly
http://www.ahlynews.com/en/

Posts: 11 | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com