EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Living in Egypt » Official 'begging' certificates

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Official 'begging' certificates
An Exercise in Futility
Member # 9889

Icon 1 posted      Profile for An Exercise in Futility         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Last night I was in 6th October and saw a group of deaf and mute people handing out the colourful printed slips of paper with some information and requests for 1LE on them. There was also a guy out on Tuesday night at the cafe near the Opera House with slips of paper - and he was also deaf and mute.

I have seen this before and I was told by my exBF a couple of years ago that this means they are 'official' so you should give money to them. Now someone else recently told me that her Egy guy had told her that they weren't and you shouldn't!

Does anyone know the facts - or is this a case of some are and some aren't? I have seen some people giving out plain black and white printed slips and I'm not talking about those, I'm talking about the multi-coloured ones.

printed 'begging' certificate

I guess I'm wondering whether these are the equivalent of the little stickies or flags you get when people are rattling tins in UK High Streets!

Posts: 5593 | From: Egypt | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Questionmarks
Member # 12336

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Questionmarks     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In Dutch we don't have a special word for the inability to speak, they call it "stupid". A more sweet expression would be "dumb".
(Dont blame me, I did not make the language)
People who are not able to speak and hear are literary translated deaf and dumb.
One of those people who want to beg international, also had such a letter: I am deaf and dumb... [Big Grin]

Posts: 7202 | From: EU | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
south_london_male
Member # 3917

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for south_london_male   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Shanta , I have seen the same one in many countries in the world and it is not called official beeging certificate ,, have you read what it says!!and they are not official by any means , they only seling the paper which contains some sign language , bare in mind unlime UK 99% of the egyptians do not know the sign language at all.. and the paper any way covers few basic ones , also it is advising preople to learn the sign language,, and ofcourse they expect people to give them more than that one pound, again it is not official as there is an official organisation soceity in Egypt called the society of the deaf and mute people and I can not find the logo or the name of it on the paper , also any work like this should be licenesed by the minstry of the social affairs and it should give them a number ,, but I ca not see that on the paper ,, so my advice do not give any thing to them .. you never know who is taking the money from them ,, I am aware of some egyptian guy used to live in London he used to get some blind people who cary some fake stikers and buckets and stand at the underground stations collecting money and he became rich because of that
Posts: 1373 | From: London | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ayisha
Member # 4713

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ayisha     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The ones we get here in Luxor are generally on the ferry, they hand out the paper that has some sign language printed on it and asks for 1LE, then they go back collecting from anyone who wants to give them money. I dont mind as they dont hassle for money like others do and are always polite to people whether they give money or not. There are not a lot of jobs for the deaf and/or dumb here so what else are they to do? I work with 4 deaf/dumb girls who are learning a skill and are some of the most polite girls I have ever met here.

--------------------
If you don't learn from your mistakes, there's no sense making them.

Posts: 15090 | From: http://www.egyptalk.com/forum/ | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
egyptian7
Member # 12215

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for egyptian7     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
anybody can print these certificates which cost nothing and sell them ,once i met the guy with these and he acted he doesnt hear or speak lol so i told him if u speak now i will give u 50 le and he idd immediately but he had a box instead

--------------------
islam

Posts: 2447 | From: cairo | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com