EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Living in Egypt » What's Your Nationality? (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: What's Your Nationality?
Makbeta
Member # 14401

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Makbeta     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by mamasue:
My mother was Hungarian
My father was Rumanian.
my grandparents were German and Austrian
I was born in Yorkshire England
Moved to London at 3 weeks old
Now live in USA.

Wow, that's very interesting. [Smile] I wonder if you can speak Hungarian and/or Romanian...
Posts: 2807 | From: Europe | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
egyptian7
Member # 12215

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for egyptian7     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
pure egyptian lol

--------------------
islam

Posts: 2447 | From: cairo | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Laura
Member # 879

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Laura     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
American's are topping the poll so far, must be alot of readers still here [Smile]
Posts: 3291 | From: I DO believe in Karma! | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
egypt 2007
Member # 14398

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for egypt 2007     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My gran parents were Welsh ............. my mother and father are English ....and i was born in Isleworth England... and lived in the same area of Buckinghamshire for 33 years.... and love it and hope hubby will too......

Not long and he is here!!!!!!!!1

Posts: 306 | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Laura
Member # 879

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Laura     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
bump
Posts: 3291 | From: I DO believe in Karma! | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chef Mick
Member # 11209

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Chef Mick     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
1/2 italian, 1/2 french but was born in america so i am 100% american [Smile]
Posts: 9443 | From: USA...... | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bob the dog
Member # 4691

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for bob the dog     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Makbeta:
quote:
Originally posted by mamasue:
My mother was Hungarian
My father was Rumanian.
my grandparents were German and Austrian
I was born in Yorkshire England
Moved to London at 3 weeks old
Now live in USA.

Wow, that's very interesting. [Smile] I wonder if you can speak Hungarian and/or Romanian...
I speak fluent Hungarian.... when I was young mum couldn't speak English as a new refugee to UK.... I only learned English when I started school!!!
It was very handy when I lived in Hurghada....I was one of very few Hungarian-speaking diving instructors there!!!

Posts: 4238 | From: USA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
weirdkitty
Member # 15365

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for weirdkitty     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ohh, you speak Hungarian! Hmm, you could be of use [Big Grin] My mother's family are Hungarian, and she recently went to Budapest for a visit, she wants to now write to her aunt there, however, the aunt doesn't speak English, and my mum only speaks little Hungarian.
A friend of a friend translated the letter, but didn't put the dash things on the letters, will it still make sense without them?
Also, is it true that "peanut" or something pronounced/or perhaps spelt like that, means something very naughty? [Big Grin]

--------------------
Another one....

Posts: 2573 | From: England | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bob the dog
Member # 4691

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for bob the dog     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by weirdkitty:
Ohh, you speak Hungarian! Hmm, you could be of use [Big Grin] My mother's family are Hungarian, and she recently went to Budapest for a visit, she wants to now write to her aunt there, however, the aunt doesn't speak English, and my mum only speaks little Hungarian.
A friend of a friend translated the letter, but didn't put the dash things on the letters, will it still make sense without them?
Also, is it true that "peanut" or something pronounced/or perhaps spelt like that, means something very naughty? [Big Grin]

Kitty.... I can read Hungarian.... but my writing and spelling are a little iffy to say the least!!
I think the word you are referring to is "pina" which is a rude word for a lady's private parts!! [Big Grin]
Without the dots and accents, it should still be readable.

Posts: 4238 | From: USA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
weirdkitty
Member # 15365

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for weirdkitty     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Pina, yep that's the one, lol.
We have the letter translated, just wanted to check it was readable.
My granddad was a refugee too, left during the war with Russia.
Sadly, I've never been- but would love to one day to meet the "Szabo" side of my family.

--------------------
Another one....

Posts: 2573 | From: England | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bob the dog
Member # 4691

Rate Member
Kitty...I was in Budapest for 6 months in the 60's when I was a teenager...
My daughter was concieved there in 1979...
I went to a dentist in Balaton to have my teeth fixed 2 years ago...
It's a lovely country....try and get there sometime!!!

Desertgirl
Member # 12450

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Desertgirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What's your nationality?
Belgian [Razz]
(still called Belgian which includes Flemish people and people from Wallonia)
Not the same as Dutch, though I speak Dutch.

See not only the UK-thing is complicated [Smile] .
I teach my students each year the difference between GB, UK and England. They always ask: Is a person insulted if you call him English instead of British? I always say 'no'...
Tell me I am right. [Razz]

Posts: 2932 | From: Just now and then | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bob the dog
Member # 4691

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by desertgirl:

I teach my students each year the difference between GB, UK and England. They always ask: Is a person insulted if you call him English instead of British? I always say 'no'...
Tell me I am right. [Razz]

They're only insulted if they're not from England....not a good idea to call a Scotsman English!!! [Big Grin]
weirdkitty
Member # 15365

Member Rated:
I agree with mamasue- only an English person wouldn't mind being called English- the Irish, Scots and Welsh would flip!
However (usually) English people are fine with being called British. Sadly, United Kingdomish hasn't caught on [Frown]

--------------------
Another one....

Makbeta
Member # 14401

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Makbeta     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's nice to have so many nationalities here. [Smile] Also, I've always been intrigued by people whose origin is mixed - it's interesting from a linguistic point of view for me.
Posts: 2807 | From: Europe | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tutandmoane
Member # 12060

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tutandmoane   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I always find the UK identity crisis interesting. Each of the nations of the UK have a stigma attatched to them by the others - but the Welsh & Scots.the Scots & Irish & the Irish & Welsh all seem to get along reasonably well due to the historical bullying they suffered from the English, & the gaelic / celtic languages.

I have a dilema about it. Born in England with Egyptian & French heratige in there, I spent formative years in England, moving to Wales when teenager.
I adopted Wales right away, got involved with all things Welsh - except the Welsh accent which I definitely didnt want. Sent my kids to Welsh medium schools & all are fluent.
Problem is I suffered (as did my kids) so much racial abuse over the last 20 yrs due to our "stuck up English accents" I now dont feel comfortable in Wales & all my kids want to leave.

I dont feel English cos I was in Wales so long, but when in England I am always English to anyone, & when abroad, I am always from Wales because of the bad reputation the English have.
When living in Egypt, I feel very Egyptian because from an early age my grand father told me it was the place where I belong (him being Egytpian was biased ! )

I think over emphasing the importance of the area you were born contributes to community divide & confusion, & I hate people who over emphasis there accents to make a statement of where they re from

Posts: 319 | From: egypt/uk | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Member # 7880

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for 54321     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I dare say "Egyptian". Egypt is like your face, if u like it or not..if others like it or not..u can't live without it and I like MY Face ALOT.
Posts: 206 | From: Egypt | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Desertgirl
Member # 12450

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Desertgirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I cannot answer your pm (I tried! [Big Grin] ) cause your mailbox is full.
Posts: 2932 | From: Just now and then | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Member # 7880

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for 54321     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by desertgirl:
I cannot answer your pm (I tried! [Big Grin] ) cause your mailbox is full.

I got the same laugh? why not u replied here..anyway my mail is ok now [Smile]
Posts: 206 | From: Egypt | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ayisha
Member # 4713

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ayisha     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just realized I didnt reply on here yet

English, parents English Great gradfather on mums side was Czech, would love to know more about that side [Frown]

--------------------
If you don't learn from your mistakes, there's no sense making them.

Posts: 15090 | From: http://www.egyptalk.com/forum/ | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cheekyferret
Member # 15263

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cheekyferret     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
I agree with mamasue- only an English person wouldn't mind being called English- the Irish, Scots and Welsh would flip!
However (usually) English people are fine with being called British. Sadly, United Kingdomish hasn't caught on [Frown]

WK... none of my friends in ENGLAND would like to be called British [Big Grin]

If you are born in England you are English.. simple [Big Grin]

As it happens my grandpa on my moms side was scottish and both my grandparents on my fathers side were Irish... we have a castle in Tipperary [Big Grin] My surname is very Irish and means banished from Ireland for being thugs [Big Grin] !!!

Anyway, I was born and bred in the Midlands (being the middle of ENGLAND lol) and therefore I am ENGLISH [Big Grin]

WK... don't make me poke you with a stick [Wink]

Posts: 11097 | From: Cairo | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ayisha
Member # 4713

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ayisha     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Lady Ferret:

Anyway, I was born and bred in the Midlands (being the middle of ENGLAND lol)

eh up, me too! [Eek!]
Posts: 15090 | From: http://www.egyptalk.com/forum/ | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sherribaby
Member # 15378

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sherribaby     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
English and an Essex girl and proud of it!!!
Posts: 547 | From: uk | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tom jones
Member # 15768

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for tom jones   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I went to Romford Uni and i lived in Cosby Road Dagenham near the Ford pub .

--------------------
"Most men are accredited fools shortly after they leave the womb.”

Posts: 1116 | From: WARNING All stressed out & no one to choke | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cheekyferret
Member # 15263

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cheekyferret     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
[Smile] Ayisha.... neighbours, everybody needs good neighours... [Wink]

I used to work in Ford Dagenham... small little world really.

Posts: 11097 | From: Cairo | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sherribaby
Member # 15378

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sherribaby     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
LF - my brother in law still works for Ford Dagenham!!but I think we already discussed this..small world hey!

Sharona are you an essex girl then too?

Posts: 547 | From: uk | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tom jones
Member # 15768

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for tom jones   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by sherribaby:
LF - my brother in law still works for Ford Dagenham!!but I think we already discussed this..small world hey!

Sharona are you an essex girl then too?

Sorry no only through Uni,all chinese there when i went [Big Grin] but my cousins live in Romford and have a a big buisness out there selling cars .
But i used to live just a cross from the ford dagenham pub and across the road was the ford factory .

Posts: 1116 | From: WARNING All stressed out & no one to choke | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
weirdkitty
Member # 15365

Member Rated:
quote:
WK... none of my friends in ENGLAND would like to be called British
So you don't consider me a friend, hmmm!

quote:
Ditto!!

EDIT to add:
quote:
went to Romford Uni
I very nearly went to Romford, but decided on Cheltenham uni instead (and came back home to study after just a year).
sherribaby
Member # 15378

Rate Member
So we have a lot of english, irish scottish and wealsh here then hehehe [Big Grin] a
Caterpila
Member # 14977

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Caterpila     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My Grandad used to work at Ford Dagenham and my nan and grandad lived up the road.

[Smile]

Posts: 552 | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
'Shahrazat
Member # 12769

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 'Shahrazat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mamasue and WK, if you have Hungarian blood, then it means you have Turkish blood as well [Big Grin]

You know, they are Hun Turks [Wink]

Hungar comes from 'On Ogur' which means 'ten arrows' in Old Turkish and that represents ten Hungar tribes ....

Posts: 2591 | From: **Ex Oriente Lux** | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sherribaby
Member # 15378

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by **cat**:
My Grandad used to work at Ford Dagenham and my nan and grandad lived up the road.

[Smile]

Interesting [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]
tom jones
Member # 15768

Rate Member
quote:
quote:
So you don't consider me a friend, hmmm!

quote:
Ditto!!

EDIT to add:
quote:
went to Romford Uni
I very nearly went to Romford, but decided on Cheltenham uni instead (and came back home to study after just a year).

it was chinese chopsticks when i was there :)i came out nearly talking the language but it was fun in my little car with no bottom bit like flintstones oh the memories .
tom jones
Member # 15768

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by **cat**:

[Smile]

What road Cosby road ???
and if i am correct i here they had a stripper night there did not go it was against my religion [Smile]

Member # 14248

Icon 1 posted      Profile for *********     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Lady Ferret:
quote:

If you are born in England you are English.. simple

As it happens my grandpa on my moms side was scottish and both my grandparents on my fathers side were Irish... we have a castle in Tipperary [Big Grin] My surname is very Irish and means banished from Ireland for being thugs !!!

Anyway, I was born and bred in the Midlands (being the middle of ENGLAND lol) and therefore I am ENGLISH

WK... don't make me poke you with a stick

Oh God [Eek!]

It's not 'THE' infamous Jameson drinking, baby eating, mischief making, nun kicking, shamrock stewing, leprechaun bashing, Blarney stone kissing, Tipperary, Hooligan O' Shenanigan family is it? [Eek!]

Your brother didn't play the bodrum in Pete Cutter and the Boggers band did he ?

I might be your second cousin twice removed!! [Razz]

Posts: 3416 | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Member # 14248

Icon 1 posted      Profile for *********     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sharona:

Where is Romford Uni?

[Confused]

Posts: 3416 | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sherribaby
Member # 15378

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by Countess Hermione Heliotrope:
quote:

Where is Romford Uni?

[Confused]

Romford, Essex, UK! [Smile]
tom jones
Member # 15768

Rate Member
Anyone remember Dagenham Dave lol

--------------------
"Most men are accredited fools shortly after they leave the womb.”

sherribaby
Member # 15378

Rate Member
Dagenham Dave !!! Wish I did by the sound of things!!!! [Big Grin]
Dzosser
Member # 9572

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dzosser   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by 'Shahrazat':
Mamasue and WK, if you have Hungarian blood, then it means you have Turkish blood as well [Big Grin]

Is it also possible that the 'Turks and Caicos' islands people have Turkish blood ? And if not, then where on earth did a British colony in the middle of the Caribbean come up with a name like that !? [Eek!]
Posts: 3219 | From: Wisdom comes with age, but sometimes age comes alone. | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
India
Member # 16104

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for India     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dzosser - It probably involved lots of rum [Smile]

I'm Londoner born and raised (though I did live in Colchester for 5 years for Uni). My blood is a mixture of Jamaican and Chinese and I have a Scottish surname but I class myself as being English. [Smile]

Posts: 132 | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
young at heart
Member # 10365

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for young at heart     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

"Only an English person wouldn't mind being called English" That could because they are English [Big Grin]
Posts: 4476 | From: Scotland | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
'Shahrazat
Member # 12769

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 'Shahrazat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Dzosser:
quote:
Originally posted by 'Shahrazat':

Is it also possible that the 'Turks and Caicos' islands people have Turkish blood ? And if not, then where on earth did a British colony in the middle of the Caribbean come up with a name like that !? [Eek!]
As far as I know there is nothing releated with having Turkish background, but also birds know that Hungarians are originally Turks [Smile]
Posts: 2591 | From: **Ex Oriente Lux** | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Geranimo
Member # 15798

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Geranimo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My father Egyptian
My mother Egyptian
So what I am?
LOL

Posts: 3 | From: Cairo | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hibbah
Member # 12156

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hibbah     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Geranimo:
My father Egyptian
My mother Egyptian
So what I am?
LOL

Puerto Rican.
Posts: 1967 | From: USA | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Member # 14248

quote:
quote:
quote:

Where is Romford Uni?

[Confused]

but Romford has no Uni [Confused]
Geranimo
Member # 15798

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Geranimo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ummmm is that true?
Posts: 3 | From: Cairo | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tom jones
Member # 15768

Rate Member
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Where is Romford Uni?

[Confused]

but Romford has no Uni [Confused]
EXCUSE ME [Mad] i am talking 25 years ago Are we spying toots [Big Grin]
Member # 14248

No but I know Havering and never saw a uni there, that was why I was curious.

Where was the one you went to anyway. Is it called something else now? like Havering Poly? .

[Smile]

weirdkitty
Member # 15365

Member Rated:
quote:
but Romford has no Uni
Hmm, must have got confused with the R's- I think it was Roehampton then. Oh well, feel likes a million years since I applied to uni, but it was only four, and I'm still there, grrrr.

Anyway, I never would have thought there was any Egyptian in my family. However, on my granddads 80th bday meal not too long ago, my hardly ever seen uncle and aunt were there. My aunt (by marriage only) was talking to me about my relationship, and casually mentioned how her dad is Egyptian and her parents live in Heliopolis... Anyway, I'm pretty sure that’s what she said, I was really shocked, but she just changed the subject as if it was nothing. I only see them once in a blue moon, so doubt I’ll be getting anymore information anytime soon.

--------------------
Another one....

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com