EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Living in Egypt » First thoughts please on this scenario.

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: First thoughts please on this scenario.
Member # 14248

Icon 5 posted      Profile for *********     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wondering what members first, second and third thoughts would be on this scenario.

Elderly man admitted to hospital with liver disease a week ago.

Hospital is a private one in Cairo.

Man died after one week of care.

Died at dawn.

Family called and doctor in charge tells family to take the body away.
Say's that if they leave the body the hospital will investigate the death and probably do a post mortem in 2 days time.
Doctor say's that he will not report the death and to call someone to pick up body.

Family call uncle who brings car and they carry body from the bed to the car and drive it home.
Family put body in his bed then call the family doctor and tell him that he died in bed.
Doctor comes, issues death certificate and the family then arrange burial.

Thoughts please

Posts: 3416 | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vader-
Member # 14189

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Vader-   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
They should have called the police while they were at the hospital to come sort it out. That's bullshit, they can't just send a body home.. ?
Posts: 6335 | From: Straight to my heart. | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CairoStudent
Member # 10528

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for CairoStudent   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
did that really happen?

--------------------
BLAME CANADA

Posts: 214 | From: Cairo | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cheekyferret
Member # 15263

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cheekyferret     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Why would the family agree to take the body and not allow a post mortem? Do they have something to hide?
Posts: 11097 | From: Cairo | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cheekyferret
Member # 15263

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cheekyferret     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Why would the family agree to take the body and not allow a post mortem? Do they have something to hide?
Posts: 11097 | From: Cairo | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Questionmarks
Member # 12336

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Questionmarks     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
First thought: Why didn't she ask the family to the reason why?
Second thought: I don't believe this happened in this way.
Third thought: Is doing post-mortem something what isn't allowed in Islam? Because it is written that the body has to be burried within a certain time, and that has to do with prayers...

--------------------
“Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing, there is a field. I will meet you there.”

Posts: 7202 | From: EU | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cheekyferret
Member # 15263

Rate Member
second thought, why would the doctor, if he had a suspicion, advice the family in such a way.

Where did they put the body in the car?

?????? where did it say the dead guy was a muslim?

Cheekyferret
Member # 15263

Rate Member
second thought, why would the doctor, if he had a suspicion, advice the family in such a way.

Where did they put the body in the car?

?????? where did it say the dead guy was a muslim?

Questionmarks
Member # 12336

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Questionmarks     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just assumed that, because majority is muslim in Egypt. I have no idea where they putted the body. In my expierence I've heard of a story from people who were on a bustrip (international) and a man died during the trip. e had no insurance covering this, and they left the man in his seat untill they were back home again. I don't know if this happened for real, it's just a story I've heard. So probably just in a seat...
But it still sounds a bit hard to imagine....why don't you just ask?

--------------------
“Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing, there is a field. I will meet you there.”

Posts: 7202 | From: EU | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ayisha
Member # 4713

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ayisha     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
first thoughts: the hospital cocked up somewhere and dont want to be blamed.

--------------------
If you don't learn from your mistakes, there's no sense making them.

Posts: 15090 | From: http://www.egyptalk.com/forum/ | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
_
Member # 3567

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for _     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's Egypt.... nothing can surprise me. Expect the unexpected.

~ TL

Posts: 30135 | From: The owner of this website killed ES....... | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ExptinCAI
Member # 1439

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ExptinCAI     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This read like the family agreed with the doctor (otherwise, why follow his suggestion?) So I assumed....

-he died of something else, they're not sure but the family doesn't want it made public and put on the death certificate

-the family doesn't want a post-m examination done (for whatever reason) and the doctor advised them in the only way they could avoid one

Posts: 2182 | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sara_uk
Member # 11454

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sara_uk     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ?????:
Third thought: Is doing post-mortem something what isn't allowed in Islam? Because it is written that the body has to be burried within a certain time, and that has to do with prayers...

what??No that is not accurate, yes it is advised to be buried as soon as you can but if post mortem is needed then be it.
Posts: 816 | From: london | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Member # 14248

Icon 1 posted      Profile for *********     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks folks for your posts.

To answer your queries.

Yes this did actually happen.

Family is Moslem.

Man had been suffering from liver disease on and off and under care of that hospital downtown.

Admitted for some treatment.

An uncle was called just after dawn and told to bring the car and he was sat in it back to the house.

Doctor in charge of his treatment said that if they reported him dead at the hospital then they would have to PM him. The PM would take 2 days.

Family were in shock but no one objected to a PM, no one was in rush to bury as is custom.

The grieving family followed the Doctors advice and took the body home and said it died in the house and got GP to certify it dead and then buried him.

No even if they did not want PM, even if they wanted him buried that day.
Do you think that the doctor in that hospital was in any way right, or acting professionally in asking them to deny the death in the hospital and say he died at home?

I mean.
I just cannot imagine that happening in the UK for instance.
Imagine a doctor telling you to take a dead body home in a car and say it died at home, even though it might not have been a suspicious death.

This was a private hospital!!
Not a government one.

I mean seriously folks.

Imagine that happening your your city........ [Eek!]

I know Egypt is the 'land of wonders' but this is beyond anything I could imagine considering this is a doctor and a hospital we are on about. [Roll Eyes]

Am I missing something here [Confused]

Posts: 3416 | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dzosser
Member # 9572

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dzosser   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
1- If the man died of a natural cause, why didn't the hospital issue a clearance of the dead body ?

2- Is it possible that the hospital ppl. pulled the plug on the man ?

3- How did they move the dead man from his hospital room to the car ? Then all the way up to his home ? This must've been like in a horror movie !

Posts: 3219 | From: Wisdom comes with age, but sometimes age comes alone. | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
nevermind
Member # 6674

Icon 1 posted      Profile for nevermind     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Egypt is not UK. People have different priorities here.
What happened looks to me as a perfectly standard procedure with an exceptionally caring doctor (but so the hospital was private, too). From government hospitals families usually have to "steal" the body before anyone attempts PM or similar. Has nothing to do with muslimity (or little) because copts behave in the same way. Why exactly, I haven't asked, but yes they want to bury the dead as fast as possible and with as little disturbance to the body as possible.

Please, try stop assessing life in Egypt from the viewpoint of your Western lives. Things are different here, and because they are a full different system, they make sense as they are.

Posts: 1051 | From: Menoufeya | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Member # 14248

Icon 1 posted      Profile for *********     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by nevermind:
Egypt is not UK. People have different priorities here.
What happened looks to me as a perfectly standard procedure with an exceptionally caring doctor

so you would be okay with carrying a dead body out of the hospital and sitting with it in the back seat of a car driving through Cairo [Confused]
and the traffic checkpoints will just wave you through with no death certificate and send you on your merry way [Eek!]

nevermind
Member # 6674

Icon 1 posted      Profile for nevermind     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would not but I repeat - they are Egyptians and it is their country and what they are comfortable with is not my business to criticize. I know they do it like this, back seat or front seat or whatever. There are perhaps larger cars, still, too
Posts: 1051 | From: Menoufeya | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ExptinCAI
Member # 1439

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ExptinCAI     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
also, a lot of cultures don't get squeamish and are afraid to touch a family member who just passed away, referring to him as "the dead body". in western cultures, especially the states, there's a huge detachment and many get squeamish at open casket ceremonies, touching the dead, etc. in other cultures, the deceased is washed by his closest relatives, dressed, and there's a wake where people stay with "the dead body" for 24 hrs in often claustrophobic small/crowded rooms. so...yeah, transporting a loved one who passed away is not quite like as horrific or traumatic as it may be to you.
Posts: 2182 | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
nevermind
Member # 6674

I am not sure but what cause main surprise here is not so much transporting as avoiding the PM and official establisment of the cause. In the West we like to be more sure or also there are regulations (you cannot avoid it). Still in this country there is a lot of obscure dying yet so again if the family is comfortable and does not suspect any heinous plans or negligence with their relative... it's their business. They do value their old traditions higher than new regulstions or something.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com