EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Living in Egypt » London demo Israel/Gaza

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: London demo Israel/Gaza
An Exercise in Futility
Member # 9889

Icon 1 posted      Profile for An Exercise in Futility         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mounted police now moving in on the demonstrators (who include Jews and Israelis who deplore the actions of Israel in this conflict).

Here's a report on today's demo but hasn't updated to include the mounted police involvement.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/7821928.stm

Posts: 5593 | From: Egypt | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
An Exercise in Futility
Member # 9889

Icon 1 posted      Profile for An Exercise in Futility         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Stick BBC World on - the mounted police are lining up in London... will this turn out like The Poll Tax Riots?
Posts: 5593 | From: Egypt | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dawn-Bev*
Member # 15190

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dawn-Bev*     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
it might turn out to get nasty - people are very angry and sickened by whats happened

some coaches from nearby have gone, if I'd have known earlier I would have joined

Posts: 712 | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
An Exercise in Futility
Member # 9889

I was on the 1 million march against the Iraq war with another woman from work - like the great democracy of the British Government took the slightest bit of notice and declared war anyway.
When I went to work the next day I found pictures of Sadam and Osama Bin Laden on my desk and was called 'Osama' for the next few weeks....
That demo never got violent.

south_london_male
Member # 3917

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for south_london_male   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Shanta: Sky news has more about the demo , more than what BBC is giving any way .. despite the main news in Sky news is about the 3 days old girl who have been found and thy asking the mother to come to get her ,, also most of the news is about this guy who have been killed when he was defending his father , the postmaster one ,, well back to your comments about the demos ,, you mentioned the pol tax one and the anti Iraq war one ,, well would you please remind me me , when ( at least in UK )any government listened to the demonstrators ,, I have negative view about the demos and strikes any way ,, I see they are wasting efforts ,, and negative actions ,, some one on in another post proposed the positive actions as collecting money and giving help to the palstinians rather than boycotting /demos..etc well please those who do not agree with my views no need to come to fight or accuse me of anything , it is only what I think ,, and that might be wrong any way
Posts: 1373 | From: London | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
An Exercise in Futility
Member # 9889

I understand what you are saying SLM but sometimes one feels one needs to stand up and be counted even if you know the Masters of the Universe aren't going to listen!

Actually, the Poll Tax riots did ultimately result in getting rid of Poll Tax so could be said to have worked!

As I'm here in Egypt, I have got BBC World news (different to the BBC UK news), Al Jazeera, CNN, and Euronews. I'm dipping around between the first two.

south_london_male
Member # 3917

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for south_london_male   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Poll tax have been replaced with council tax ,, well similar in one way or another ,, in fact I am paying 1200 pounds ( I think is going even up in April)so the government listened but reapplied the tax.. any way as I see the demo today turned to be violent
one side issue , as movies fan , I noticed last night that many movies just came out in favour of the JEWS ( not Israel any way )as Defiance , the reader and the spirit ,, have any one notice that?

Posts: 1373 | From: London | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
An Exercise in Futility
Member # 9889

Not heard of any of those films - but just checked them out - no its probably not a coincidence that they came out at the same time - but bearing in mind the 'lead' time for films is a couple of years, then they must have been produced etc 3 or 4 years ago.
So, we ask ourselves - what was going on THEN?
(DOn't know haven't looked!)

south_london_male
Member # 3917

Rate Member
they all new movies , check on www.cineworld.co.uk , and you will find that defiance ( by danial craig, james bond man ) about 3 jew brothers , heros defend their people aganist nazis in 2nd world war , I have watched the Spirit one , and they focused on the david star * was used by a hero police woman ) the reader by kate winslate and again involved some story about a Jew woman who was let to be in fire in a church ,, also the last movie by Robert denero , was out last month was About Jew movie maker.. well now I think recently was some more as well
xxx
Member # 8622

Icon 1 posted      Profile for xxx         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Shanta Qadeama:
I was on the 1 million march against the Iraq war with another woman from work - like the great democracy of the British Government took the slightest bit of notice and declared war anyway.

Bingo.

quote:
Originally posted by Shanta Qadeama:

That demo never got violent.

And that's the reason no one listens.
Posts: 132 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
India
Member # 16104

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for India     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
SLM - I don't know about the other movies but The Spirit is actually based on a classic comic book series by Will Eisner and is directed by comic book creator Frank Miller. That has been on the cards for years (since the 90's) and the fact that it was allowed to produced was down to the success of Frank Miller's other films - Sin City and 300 which all have a distinctive visual style. There have been lots of comic book movies being made recently in Hollywood and in fact there are several coming out now or due to be released such as The Watchmen, Astroboy, Transformers, Batman, G.I. Joe, 300 sequel etc. Also I'm only talking about Hollywood comic book movies in this post.
Posts: 132 | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
south_london_male
Member # 3917

Rate Member
India , I thought I was clear when I said they focused at one seen on the David star that the police hero woman who shot the bad guy , Octopus was having around her nick ,, I did not say the whole movie ,, and I do not think they mentioned in the original comic book that the hero police woman who was he spirit partner was JEW at all!!! sure thes came from the producer/ director mind .. any way , I do not have anything against the JEW , I was only making a note of an observation , that many movies are focusing on JEW as heros these days!!1 whatever the whole story of the movie or even one seen ,,, have you seen any movie , recently giving any credit for muslims or talking about them as heroes? or even about Christians? and by the way do not foregt the famous movie , that came last year ZOHAN , he was the good one and the bad one was Fatoush/PHANtom , the palastinian guy ,, and even the end of the story of that movie was against the muslim faith , when the muslim girl got married to the JEW guy..
India
Member # 16104

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for India     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Spirit's original sidekick, Ebony White, was a racist pastiche that they got rid off. However the main role of the Octopus was given to Samuel L. Jackson. Given that Eisner was a Jewish immigrant and he always brought his background into his stories, its not surprising that during the directorial process that they would have added some reference to Judaism.

Your question about movies was interesting and I take it that you mean Hollywood movies? For example in the other two global film industry juggernauts, Bollywood and Hong Kong,there are numerous films that have Muslim characters aas heroes (Bollywood)or the hero if of a different religion (both - Buddhist, Sikh, Hindu etc). Then if you were to examine the film industries in different countries such as Iran, Malaysia, Pakistan etc you would find more movies there with the hero being Muslim.

Thinking about Hollywood / British movies, generally are less likely to focus on religion on a whole. The few Hollywood / British films that came to mind that featured a Muslim Christian hero and I have seen are, Persepolis, Brick Lane, Lars and the Real Girl and the Kingdom. Also a lot of Hollywood horror films have Christian heroes that manage to defeat supernatural forces. This seems to be the biggest area in Hollywood that Christian heroes can be found.

It's also worth noting how many films each industry makes per annum. For example in 2007 Bollywood made 800 films whereas Hollywood made 630 films (Source - http://abcnews.go.com/Entertainment/Movies/story?id=5243650&page=1).
Out of those 630 films that Hollywood made, how many of those do we actually see over here? And again, are you talking about mainstream cinemas because if you go to independent cinemas or film festivals you will find that they show a wide range films.

I think to make a fairer judgement call about the percentage of movies that feature heroes of other religious denominations in Hollywood films, we would probably have to look at all of those films.

Or maybe your question should be, how many commercially- funded mainstream Hollywood films focus on the hero being Jewish?

Posts: 132 | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
India
Member # 16104

Rate Member
By the way, I do think your points are very interesting and thought provoking!
south_london_male
Member # 3917

Rate Member
Thanks India for the information ,, I am talking mainly ont he Hollyowed movies and the mainstream cinemas,, I am member of Cineworld cinema which gives me access 7days /week for unlimited movies ,, and I do watch 4-5 movies each week in average,, so this where I got my observation from ...and what I meant that ,, all the viewers of the movies there come out with one one outcome ,, that JEW either heroes or victims of Nazis . arabs..etc on the other hand I can not remember any positive thing at most , if not al the movies about arabs and ofcourse the muslims ,, even if there was one good character then you will find the majority were bad as in the KINGDOM , and also in the Rendition ,, you will find the good one , when there was arab/muslim victim , was the american , and on the other hand the rest of the arab were bad ones ,,in fact the christian comes as hero when the movie is about vampire / evil and the church man comes and save the world with his cross .. never seen at any movie that the SHEIHK fighting the evil ( sure he will not as he is considered an evil himself ) I have nothing against any JEW or Christians , but my observation that ,, people when they are in the movie start to believe what they see and they specially the kids start to have stereotype image about the others
India
Member # 16104

Rate Member
I think you are right about mainstream Hollywood movies - I agree that they are heavily stereotyped, which isn't good. Especially as these are the ones that get shipped around the world and have the marketing power behind them.

I think the only mainstream films that Hollywood is starting to make about the Muslim world seems to focus on terrorists which again reinforces the stereotypes. They seem to be going for the 'all Muslims / Arabs are terrorists but one good Muslim who fights against being indoctrinated'. I think the closest that Hollywood has come to having a Sheikh fight evil (which isn't even that close) are the first two Mummy films and the role that Oded Fehr plays.

Cineworld is awesome! I go to the one on Shaftsbury Avenue the most. They do a fantastic mixture of films and offer really balanced film vieiwing. Do you recommend joining? I have been thinking about either that or the Odeon membership. The Curzon's prices seem to have really jumped.

south_london_male
Member # 3917

Rate Member
India .. I am member of Cineworld since 2003 and they are very good value for money ,,you pay now 14.99 per month , I think for a minimum of 12 month contract ,, this is an excellent value ,, if you go to 2 movies only per month then you get good use of what you paid,, so what if you watched more!!! I go to most of the branches according to which movies is shown , bare in mind they do not show all the movies at all the branches according to the number of the theaters in each branch , I was on Friday at Shaftsbury Avenue watching Chengling one there ( again it was the church man who gave support to the woman who lost her son , it was in LA back in 1928 and the strange thing there is not a single muslim person presented in the movie as usual , may be it is hsitorical fact that there was no muslims in USA at all at this time .. not sure!!!) I go to at most of the time to Wandsworth one , it is new one ,, only opened less than 2 years ago and has almost 13-14 theaters and most of them very big and and better seats .. yes I highly recommend you to join Cineworld

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com