EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Living in Egypt » KHAWAGA’S TALE: Child birth in Egypt

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: KHAWAGA’S TALE: Child birth in Egypt
_
Member # 3567

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for _     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A KHAWAGA’S TALE: Child birth in Egypt

By Peter A. Carrigan
First Published: January 11, 2009

Many factors should be considered before deciding on the baby's birth place.

From the anecdotal evidence that I have gleaned over the years, I have concluded that foreigners arrive in Egypt, see the sites whilst enjoying the country’s plethora of luxury resort hotels and then get knocked-up. [Embarrassed]

Pregnancy seems to be on many an itinerary. Maybe it is the time of life, or people are having the time of their lives.

Either way, the initial surprise or celebration gives way to that eternal question posed by Joe Strummer and The Clash; Should I stay or should I go?

Should the baby be born in Cairo or should mom head home to a familiar healthcare system, the warmth of the family bosom and doctors she can converse with?

Into the equation you must add the future nationality of the child and that of any grandchildren.

Check with your embassy because even though your baby may be entitled to your nationality, because you have been born there, their own children, your grandchildren, may not be entitled to the same.

This was the case with a British national and his Gambian wife who experienced visa problems recently and spoke only on the condition that their names were not printed in case it prejudices their case.

“I was outraged that my wife was rejected for a visa. She has traveled to the UK a number of times and our two other children were born in Britain.”

“If the baby has to be born in Egypt, I am told his children will not be entitled to British nationality.”

When mom does choose to give birth in Cairo, then it’s necessary to find a doctor and a hospital.

My own son Max, was booked into El Nader Hospital in Manial and the main issue was finding an obstetrician who was sympathetic to the needs of a foreigner.

Not the least of these was the father being present at the birth.

But my job was done long ago; mom was concerned about language, the baby being taken away to a nursery and being fed glucose, which makes breast feeding more difficult. The lack of midwives and little family support.

Anti-natal classes are available in Mohandiseen through Katriona Shawski, taking you through the stages of child birth, how to help your self with different positions, breathing techniques to reduce pain, and baby care following the birth.

A worry for all prospective parents is the development of the fetus and now the amniocentesis test is available in Maadi.

“It took five times to get the needle into the placenta accurately,” said a recent patient, speaking on the condition that her name would not appear in print. “The fetus went into spasm and I had to be put on a drip,” she added.

Blood tests are also necessary when pregnant and yet another friend of mine, whom I have met through diplomatic circles, said that she was given the wrong blood test results and had to rush back to London for confirmation.

This also happened with Max’s mom, who was given the wrong results and when she was re-tested on London’s Harley Street, a serious autoimmune disease was detected.

A colleague of mine who delivered a healthy baby boy in the Dar Al Fouad Hospital on Wednesday said, “It was quick, but it was different.”

“The operating theater was filled with people and machines. My first baby was born in Peru and it was such a different experience. I would not recommend Dar Al Fouad.”

Many Egyptians themselves seem to travel overseas to give birth, which may also secure a passport into the bargain.

According to the CIA Fact Book, Egypt’s birth rate is ranked 89th in the world, so by that measure hospitals have plenty of experience. The country with the highest birth rate is Niger and the lowest is Hong Kong.

Child birth, it is a problematic thing, and having been through it, in a sense myself, I could only advise that all advice should be taken on board and then do exactly what is best for mom and baby without compromise.

Mabrouk to all the new mom and dads.

Katriona Shawski; Tel: 012 219 8131.

pacarrigan@freelancejournalism.com

http://www.dailystaregypt.com/article.aspx?ArticleID=18989

Posts: 30135 | From: The owner of this website killed ES....... | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
duda
Member # 293

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for duda     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I delivered my baby girl 3 months ago in Cleopatra hospital- heliopolis and had no problems whatsoever!Everything was perfect! The Dr. was an angel and I would recommend him to anyone!
Posts: 148 | From: Cairo, Egypt | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Momma_Dukes
Member # 14252

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Momma_Dukes   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
yes but what i notice when there is an emergency, the doctors dont know WTF.

many babies dont make it there from what i have seen.

my friend mohamed is an ob/gyn in cairo, and he tells me stories of him constantly having to cuss the nurses out because they keep forgetting to santize the towels and stuff.
he sends them running form the room in tears at times...but the baby comes out healthy.

Posts: 2757 | From: YOU CAN ONLY SEE WHAT I CHOOSE TO SHOW, THERE IS SO MUCH MORE YOU JUST DONT KNOW | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
_
Member # 3567

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for _     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by duda:
I delivered my baby girl 3 months ago in Cleopatra hospital- heliopolis and had no problems whatsoever!Everything was perfect! The Dr. was an angel and I would recommend him to anyone!

Congratulations on your baby girl. And I am truly happy that you had such a wonderful hospital experience. All the best. [Smile]

Oh, btw, did you find a recommendable paediatrician??

Posts: 30135 | From: The owner of this website killed ES....... | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
_
Member # 3567

Rate Member
Icon 2 posted      Profile for _     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
http://www.cleopatrahospital.com/en_site/index.aspx
duda
Member # 293

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for duda     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
yes i found a great paediatrician in 6th October where I live, his nam is Dr. Ayman el Guindy! He was practicing in France. He is always available by phone and does house calls and is extremely ponctual!
Posts: 148 | From: Cairo, Egypt | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mustiqa
Member # 16252

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for mustiqa   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

Can u give me the contact of the Doctor that u mension...Thanks...Its in Cairo
Posts: 9 | From: - | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
duda
Member # 293

Member Rated:
yes , his number is :38353567 and mb: 0127268504
Supercalafragalistic
Member # 15631

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Supercalafragalistic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
sooooooo glad I came back to uk to have my baby! doesn't it all depend on how much money you have?? good doctors cost lots of money
Posts: 1248 | From: my sex is on fire!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cloudberry
Member # 11163

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cloudberry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by fish killer:
sooooooo glad I came back to uk to have my baby! doesn't it all depend on how much money you have?? good doctors cost lots of money

Yes...I don't know about UK but in Finland you have to actually live there permanently (certain amount of months a year) to have (almost) free health care. My address is in Egypt (obviously) so it would have been expensive in Finland too +cost of living.

But I was surprised how expensive having a baby can be here in Egypt. Wow!

Posts: 758 | From: Finland | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CPA
Member # 1608

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for CPA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My wife delivered in Al Nada hospital in Manial. It wasn't a bad experience. The hospital was highly recommended by many people and almost all doctors we dealt with. Whether a father can be let into the delivery room or not is actually an agreement with the doctor not up to the hospital

We were following up with a female doctor who was quite expensive because of the decoration of the clinic and the English speaking receptionists. We left her because we felt she was too commercial to follow up with another doctor (Dr. Sharif Hamza) who had degrees from Germany, very modest, and was professional. He happened to have very nice staff in his clinics in Mohandiseen and Maadi

We see a pediatrician who has a clinic in 6th October and another one in Mohandiseen. He has a hotline also with doctors taking the calls 24/7

Posts: 33 | From: Cairo, Egypt | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mustiqa
Member # 16252

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for mustiqa   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
yes , his number is :38353567 and mb: 0127268504

what is his name....so it easier to contct him...its at cleopatra hospital...Btw hows e service ther
Posts: 9 | From: - | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
* 7ayat *
Member # 7043

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for * 7ayat *     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The only ones who still use the word khawaga are the khawagas themselves [Smile]
Posts: 4446 | From: Egyptian in Sydney | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
happybunny
Member # 14224

Icon 1 posted      Profile for happybunny     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You are so right Fish killer! it does all depend on money!
2 of my children where born in Egypt the first was a great experience and the Dr was very good had my care plan made etc. My second was extremely early 26 weeks and i thank god everyday that she is here. My hubbys family just took me to there local doctor because i was having stomach cramps the crap doctor just told me to get some medicine from the chemist and go home. On the hospital steps i was bleeding and went in and had her. Hubby wasn't allowed in until he paid!! [Embarrassed] so he just missed her birth (he had to rush home to get the money). He then had to drive her wrapped up in a blanket (on his lap) to our original hosiptal in Maadi where she was in neonatal for 7 weeks!

So i would diffently say go home - if there are problems you really NEED to know what is happening, i felt sooo out of the loop concerning my tiny beautiful daughter and totally felt helplessness.

Glad to say now though that she a beautiful clever, witty 11 year old [Big Grin]

tc [Wink]

Posts: 895 | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com