EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Living in Egypt » Perils of getting to and living in Sharm!!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Perils of getting to and living in Sharm!!
Pookie2
Member # 15991

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pookie2     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Myrtle the dog got lost at Heathrow when the computers went down. I got to Cairo and there was no sign of her. Chaos for 3 hours. She turned up next day, hot thirsty and bewildered and not that well looked after at customs in the UK I have to say. Journey down from Cairo to Sharm was good with an excellent driver. Having hard time in Sharm finding electrical items like a tiny oven for baking, cd player so anyone out there with ideas please let me know. Also needle and cotton!! So many things I took for granted just aren't around. Smuggled Dyson upright Hoover in easily and am glad to have it. Also lots of sticky backed hooks have been useful from the dear departed Woolworths. Would love to meet up with anyone in the area.
Posts: 95 | From: Sharm from Jan 09 | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
young at heart
Member # 10365

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for young at heart     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You must have been so worried when she never arrived [Eek!] I'm sure she will get over her trauma quickly with a bit of TLC. Viva Mall on Peace Road going towards Old market on the way to the hospital advertises small electrical goods like blenders, micros etc. Might be worth a look.
Posts: 4476 | From: Scotland | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
An Exercise in Futility
Member # 9889

Icon 1 posted      Profile for An Exercise in Futility         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was wondering how you had got on Pookie!

How did you track her down - how terrifying for her and you!

If that had happened to my cats when I came i would have been in a terrible state.

Glad you got the Dyson in [Big Grin]

B.Tech stores sell lots of electrical stuff. They dont appear to have a shop in Sharm but I think you can order online http://www.b.tech.com.eg/btech/index.php
You might need to get someone to help you with that.

Posts: 5593 | From: Egypt | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pookie2
Member # 15991

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pookie2     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Quick Cargo came like knights on white camels to the rescue. They whizzed around waving papers and running in and out of buildings and generally earned their oats. I was a nervous wreck but Myrtle snoring on the sofa here tonight. Worst thing for me know is finding here are mice in my new flat!!! Any tips for evicting them other than getting a cat???? I love cats but can't afford any more mouths to feed including mouse mouths.
Posts: 95 | From: Sharm from Jan 09 | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
queenie
Member # 14221

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for queenie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Pookie - sounds a nightmare. Where in Sharm are you? I have an apartment in Nabq.
Try 7/11 in Old Market - upstairs for electricals, Viva Mall just outside Naama. There is another electrical shop in Old Market and one on Sunny lakes. Also one by the Metro in Nabq.
I spray Baygone all around my apartment and it deals with roaches and not seen a mice or rat get in yet.
B Tech has a store at Carlton Mall.

--------------------
www.sierraresortnabq.co.uk

Posts: 124 | From: England | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
An Exercise in Futility
Member # 9889

Icon 1 posted      Profile for An Exercise in Futility         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Pookie2:
Quick Cargo came like knights on white camels to the rescue. They whizzed around waving papers and running in and out of buildings and generally earned their oats. I was a nervous wreck but Myrtle snoring on the sofa here tonight. Worst thing for me know is finding here are mice in my new flat!!! Any tips for evicting them other than getting a cat???? I love cats but can't afford any more mouths to feed including mouse mouths.

That's good to know! Thank god you had them lined up in advance!
Can you PM me a bit more details of what they did for you and what they cost so I can add it to my notes on bringing pets from the UK please?

Posts: 5593 | From: Egypt | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pookie2
Member # 15991

Rate Member
Thanks everyone for tips tc. Have PMd Shanta re Quick Cargo. I live near Viva Mall so will invetigate there.

Anyone got any ideas for warding off builders coming to make good stuff in the flat that should have been right to start with and then demanding huge tips for putting it right??? Also any ideas for getting a fair price from shifty furniture makers/carpenters? Been charged £550 for TINY fence to keep dog in - would have cost about £150 inc labour in the UK. I need to learn some tricks of the trade fast!!!

Dzosser
Member # 9572

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dzosser   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What kind of people would charge such a sum for a tiny wooden fence ? If this is what they're giving you everywhere you go asking for help or assistance you should protest and not yield to those crooks, what a shame for Egypt to have such greedy jerks trying to rip foreigners off from their money [Mad]
Posts: 3219 | From: Wisdom comes with age, but sometimes age comes alone. | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Penny
Member # 1925

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Penny     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Pookie2:
Thanks everyone for tips tc. Have PMd Shanta re Quick Cargo. I live near Viva Mall so will invetigate there.

Anyone got any ideas for warding off builders coming to make good stuff in the flat that should have been right to start with and then demanding huge tips for putting it right??? Also any ideas for getting a fair price from shifty furniture makers/carpenters? Been charged £550 for TINY fence to keep dog in - would have cost about £150 inc labour in the UK. I need to learn some tricks of the trade fast!!!

Pookie I can't believe, you paid £550 [Eek!]
You have got to learn to stand your ground or everyone will rip you off. Before you have anything done ask someone who has been living in Sharm a while what it should cost and then stick to that price. Even if you half what you think is a UK price at least you wont feel you are being ripped off, although its still probably way too much.

As for tips you do still need to tip workers even though its for remidial work...that's just the system but.... LE20 is more than generous...and it does mean if they come back again they will do a 'reasonable' job.

Posts: 3809 | From: Paradise | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com