EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Living in Egypt » The UK Great Brown Bottle Swindle

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: The UK Great Brown Bottle Swindle
Member # 14248

Icon 8 posted      Profile for *********     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As someone who never has caffeine and stupidly took 2 Panadol extra WITH 60 mg caffeine last night before going to bed for my aching throat ( Thanks Jean Bean by the way!! [Mad] ) and ended up like Marty Feldman on crack, I had plenty time to lie there thinking about the difference between our pharmacies in UK and the ones in Egypt.

Well my eyes were sore reading about Saddam's torture chambers [Eek!]

Now I might still be hallucinating but this is my conclusion [Big Grin]

The UK are being ripped off Royally!

Buy any drug in Egypt and it comes in a little box, all carefully packaged with batch number and date etc and price.

Buy the same in UK and last time I was in USA the same it comes in a little brown bottle with sticker with your name and dosage on it.
Is it still like that in UK and USA?

Anyway these pharmacists must buy these self same drugs in big tubs, as they count them out on little silver triangular tray things and then put them in the bottles themselves, SO the cost to them must be MUCH cheaper than the Egyptians pay for the fully packaged ones mustn't it????

With the Egyptian system you get a box and foil, and instructions etc. In Uk you get a little bottle with 'dont drive heavy machinery'on it if you are lucky [Roll Eyes]

I was thinking about this last night and wondered if UK is the only country now doing the little brown bottle business and buying in bulk to save money and is the EU and the rest of the world on the box and instructions idea?

Do tell and ease my troubled mind and aching throat [Big Grin]

Posts: 3416 | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dzosser
Member # 9572

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dzosser   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The pamphlets included in the Egyptian style medications are in miniscule print and even if you can decipher them you'd probably end up flushing the medication down the toilet for all the side effect mentioned in them. Another important fact is that our locally produced medications contain like 50 % of the active ingredients in them, that's why they're cheaper than in the 1st. world, you'll need a longer time to recover on those 'reduced' drugs, that's if you ever will recover. [Roll Eyes]
Posts: 3219 | From: Wisdom comes with age, but sometimes age comes alone. | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Member # 14248

Icon 1 posted      Profile for *********     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
[Eek!]

Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat!!!

[Big Grin]

Posts: 3416 | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
happybunny
Member # 14224

Icon 1 posted      Profile for happybunny     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
HH, you only get your medicine with a white sticker with your name and dosage when you have it on prescription from your doctor. The charges for these are £7.10 at the moment regardless of whether it costs £2.00 or £20.00.

Most doctors ask if you pay for your prescription, if you do and if it it is cheaper than the £7.10 then they tell you just to but it over the counter and it will come as it does in Egypt, original packaging.

I think the price kind of evens out in the long run - you are kind of getting a bargin if it normally costs over £7.10 and you just have to pay the prescription charges.

Unlike Egypt though, it is not possible to buy antibiotics over the counter you must have a prescription from the doctor so that will definitely have the white sticker with your name on and dosage details! Maybe they do make money on them but as i said i think it does kind of even out in the end.

[Wink]

Posts: 895 | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Member # 14248

Icon 1 posted      Profile for *********     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by happybunny:
HH, you only get your medicine with a white sticker with your name and dosage when you have it on prescription from your doctor. The charges for these are £7.10 at the moment regardless of whether it costs £2.00 or £20.00.

Most doctors ask if you pay for your prescription, if you do and if it it is cheaper than the £7.10 then they tell you just to but it over the counter and it will come as it does in Egypt, original packaging.

I think the price kind of evens out in the long run - you are kind of getting a bargin if it normally costs over £7.10 and you just have to pay the prescription charges.

Unlike Egypt though, it is not possible to buy antibiotics over the counter you must have a prescription from the doctor so that will definitely have the white sticker with your name on and dosage details! Maybe they do make money on them but as i said i think it does kind of even out in the end.

[Wink]

Ah you are right HB

I suppose it will level out in the end as some medicines are hugely expensive and some are relatively cheap to produce.

I wish my Smith Glaxo Kline (made in Egypt) Ceph would kick in right now [Frown]

Jean Bean has given us all the plague by the way!!! [Razz]

and a special Get well soon to Shanta Coughdeema [Wink]

happybunny
Member # 14224

Icon 1 posted      Profile for happybunny     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ahhhhh Get well soon girls! [Wink]

My son has had flu now for the past 2 weeks [Frown] before that my daughters and i had it. I was thinking of putting a red cross on my door! [Big Grin]

Posts: 895 | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bob the dog
Member # 4691

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for bob the dog     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A lot of medications are ridiculously expensive in the USA... even though you can get $4 generics for a lot of prescription drugs.
For one of Mr. M's expensive meds... we send the prescription to a Canadian online pharmacy for half the cost.
Or if we're in the Caribbean islands or Mexico, we buy from pharmacies there..... much cheaper!!
Hermione...The English system seems a ripoff, I agree, but a lot of the meds would be a lot more than the 7GBP in the UK.
The good thing about Egypt is the fact that all prices are printed on the boxes... saves being ripped off (foreign prices)!

Posts: 4238 | From: USA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kalila : )
Member # 14517

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kalila : )         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by mamasue:

The good thing about Egypt is the fact that all prices are printed on the boxes... saves being ripped off (foreign prices)!

Unless you are a little 80 yr old woman who gets charged 14 pounds sterling for half a box of spasmodics and a blister strip of of 10 pills of something to dry up her bowels [Mad]
Posts: 3945 | From: ' Res Contr ' Amor non es guirens, lai on sos poders s'atura | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bob the dog
Member # 4691

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for bob the dog     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Kalila... that's what I meant about 'foreign prices!!'
It's sad... but true!

Posts: 4238 | From: USA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bob the dog
Member # 4691

Rate Member
sorry.... double post!
jean_bean
Member # 13715

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for jean_bean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
but HH....you KNOW that I am generous !
I even share my little buggies !
[Razz]

Posts: 1103 | From: 6th of October | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ayisha
Member # 4713

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ayisha     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Kalila : ):
quote:
Originally posted by mamasue:

Unless you are a little 80 yr old woman who gets charged 14 pounds sterling for half a box of spasmodics and a blister strip of of 10 pills of something to dry up her bowels [Mad]
ahh kalila you have the same problems as me [Big Grin]

I DO know that in UK the charge for prescriptions is nothing to do with the cost of the medications, its a charge for the pharmacist to dispense the drugs.

I do know that the pharmacy dont get paid back from the health authority until at least 3 months after the drugs have been dispensed, its a whole nighmare of paperwork and form filling to get the money back and then they dont get all of it, some is later, some they dont get at all.

Some drugs dispensed in UK cost an arm and a leg and doctors dont like to prescribe these because the health authority advise them how much they cost and dont want to spend money on these drugs, hence the post code lottery! as it depends on the health authoriity concerned (different ones for different areas)

I did accounts for the owner of 4 pharmacies for 15 years [Big Grin]

Posts: 15090 | From: http://www.egyptalk.com/forum/ | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Member # 14517

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kalila : )         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
[Eek!] Ayisha i think not!!
hehe i did get her money back for her but only after i threatened him with the police and to stand outside telling everyone who went in he was a rip off merchant.
Btw i did get her the medicine she needed at a different pharmacy for the correct price of 17le.
[Big Grin]

Posts: 3945 | From: ' Res Contr ' Amor non es guirens, lai on sos poders s'atura | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ramses nemesis
Member # 4125

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ramses nemesis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In my view, the UK has one of the best health systems probably in the world. I've lived on both sides of the pond, and can attest to that.

My understanding is that in the EU they have a so called price control. Of course in the capitalist US where corporate america rules, they don't.

The English just like to whinge and whine and moan and groan [Frown]

Posts: 444 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Member # 14248

quote:
Originally posted by Ramses nemesis:

[Big Grin]

especially about the weather!!

you can never satisfy a Brit weatherwise [Razz]

Ayisha
Everyone here knows your poo goes into a 'bag' on your hip [Roll Eyes]
no mess to clean up!

Ramses nemesis
Member # 4125

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ramses nemesis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Hermione Heliotrope.:
quote:

[Big Grin]

and about the sheep shaggers [Wink]
Posts: 444 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pink cherry
Member # 13979

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pink cherry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Having worked for a pharmaceutical company for many years the little brown bottles stopped many years ago in favour of pre packed bubble wraps in boxes.

For your money you got less but it was all ordered by the The Medicines and Healthcare products Regulatory Agency (MHRA)....a government body

Posts: 643 | From: Over there | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
happybunny
Member # 14224

Pink Cherry quoted little brown bottles stopped many years ago in favour of pre packed bubble wraps in boxes.
---------------------------------------------

Not in the Uk they haven't [Confused] You still get it in a brown glass bottle or a white plastic bottle.

Member # 14248

quote:
quote:
quote:

[Big Grin]

and about the sheep shaggers [Wink]
[Eek!] Sssshhhhhh!!!

hope Advocaat isn't listening [Razz]

Pink cherry
Member # 13979

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pink cherry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by happybunny:
Pink Cherry quoted little brown bottles stopped many years ago in favour of pre packed bubble wraps in boxes.
---------------------------------------------

Not in the Uk they haven't [Confused] You still get it in a brown glass bottle or a white plastic bottle.

Not if the pharmacies/ chemists can get them pre packed. Bottles and containers cost more.

I worked for a Wholesaler in UK...and the (MHRA)....a government body preferred the tablets not to be handled.

Posts: 643 | From: Over there | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Member # 14517

Rate Member
Rofl has ADVOCATE turned into a nasty gloopy yellow liquid since last i heard? [Big Grin]
Ayisha
Member # 4713

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ayisha     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
quote:

[Big Grin]

you can never satisfy a Brit weatherwise [Razz]

Ayisha
Everyone here knows your poo goes into a 'bag' on your hip [Roll Eyes]
no mess to clean up!

I do miss moaning about the weather so much that now I open the curtains and say huh ANOTHER bloody sunny day!!

I told you about my poo in confidence H [Frown]

Posts: 15090 | From: http://www.egyptalk.com/forum/ | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ramses nemesis
Member # 4125

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by Ayisha:
I do miss moaning about the weather so much that now I open the curtains and say huh ANOTHER bloody sunny day!!

huh, typical [Smile]
Ayisha
Member # 4713

Member Rated:
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Ayisha:

huh, typical [Smile]
I did get chance the other day to say 'It's windy today!' [Big Grin]

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com