EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Living in Egypt » Beds in Egypt

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Beds in Egypt
Churchlady
Member # 16445

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Churchlady     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What is with those thin hard as a rock beds and pillows in Egypt? Doesn't anyone have a nice soft mattress and box spring?
Posts: 66 | From: USA | Registered: Mar 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cheekyferret
Member # 15263

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cheekyferret     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There is a chain here called Masterbed here that supply nice beds [Big Grin]

Ah, the sandbag pillows aren't the best!!!

Vader has nice pillows [Wink]

Posts: 11097 | From: Cairo | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vader-
Member # 14189

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Vader-   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I could say the same about you LF. [Big Grin]

I found my pillow by luck at the metro's on the way to 6th of october. Long way to travel for a pillow though.

Posts: 6335 | From: Straight to my heart. | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cheekyferret
Member # 15263

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cheekyferret     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Cheers dude [Big Grin]

I found mine in Spinneys... just up the road!

Posts: 11097 | From: Cairo | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bob the dog
Member # 4691

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for bob the dog     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How can anybody sleep on thos cotton-stuffed rock-hard things??
I bought nice soft ones at the government shop.

Posts: 4238 | From: USA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vader-
Member # 14189

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Vader-   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The cotton stuffed ones are for humping.
Posts: 6335 | From: Straight to my heart. | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pink cherry
Member # 13979

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pink cherry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A very large store in Cairo called Taki sells all types of beding including pillows.

You will be spoiled for choice

Posts: 643 | From: Over there | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tina m
Member # 13845

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for tina m     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
ask a few esrs.. they cant seem to stay off their backs.. so i assume they know all about egyptian beds....

--------------------
your ass is so tight when you fart only a dog can hear it.when you queef only a cat can hear that one.

Posts: 9776 | From: You like If only mosquitoes sucked fat instead of blood. | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Penny
Member # 1925

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Penny     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Habitat an Janssen also have lots of really nice beds. Yes with box springs!

Actually think mine is too soft, am getting back problems maybe I need one of those hard as rocks ones.

Posts: 3809 | From: Paradise | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dzosser
Member # 9572

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dzosser   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Taki 'Marriott' hard foam matress is very good, the trick is to get a low pillow not those puffed things they put in hotel rooms that give you a pain in the neck. [Mad]
Posts: 3219 | From: Wisdom comes with age, but sometimes age comes alone. | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rahala
Member # 16703

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rahala     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Egyptmom:
What is with those thin hard as a rock beds and pillows in Egypt? Doesn't anyone have a nice soft mattress and box spring?

there is a lot of models rather than cotton.
cotton are hand made by a skilled worker.
I have got TAKI it is good and there is a lot of models ranging in pricees and sizes.

Egyptian like cotton as they think it is more healthier ( do not know about this!)and for other historic reasons

Posts: 2417 | From: Cairo | Registered: Jun 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
murray-mint77
Member # 13080

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for murray-mint77     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
LOL i always think that when i arrive......why r they so hard? But i must admit i get the best sleep on those hard beds with those sand bag pillows [Wink] better than at home on my spring mattress and soft pillows. Though i learnt a lesson the 1st time throwing myself on the Egyptain bed like it was spring [Eek!] didn't do that again [Wink] thank god i didn't go backwards PMSL [Big Grin]
Posts: 634 | From: the Moon........... | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
*Dalia*
Member # 13012

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for *Dalia*     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ** Ahmad**:

Egyptian like cotton as they think it is more healthier ( do not know about this!)and for other historic reasons

Even in Europe some people prefer cotton or foam mattresses because they don't like metal in or around their beds. If you think about it, those cotton mattresses are not much different from futons; in fact, futons are usually even thinner.

I have a custom-made cotton mattress which is very nice. And my pillows are soft. [Wink]

Posts: 2803 | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kalila : )
Member # 14517

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kalila : )         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mmmmmm what is it with those rock hard pillows ?
i didn't get a wink of sleep the first night in Luxor until i asked for the pillow to be changed i like mine soft

Posts: 3945 | From: ' Res Contr ' Amor non es guirens, lai on sos poders s'atura | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elegantly Wasted
Member # 8386

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Elegantly Wasted     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ditto!

When I first sat on one of those beds I was like uh oh I'm in trouble but alas I slept like a log. The pillows aren't so great though. I brought soft pillows from home so it worked out great.

quote:
Originally posted by murray-mint77:
LOL i always think that when i arrive......why r they so hard? But i must admit i get the best sleep on those hard beds with those sand bag pillows [Wink] better than at home on my spring mattress and soft pillows. Though i learnt a lesson the 1st time throwing myself on the Egyptain bed like it was spring [Eek!] didn't do that again [Wink] thank god i didn't go backwards PMSL [Big Grin]

Posts: 2735 | From: my desk | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MJ
Member # 16726

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for MJ     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was rather surprised I slept so well.. bed was hard as could be (only slept on one that was worse in my life).

The pillows.. yeah.. I got lucky and had a soft one. Cant do hard pillows at all. I would rather sleep without a pillow.

Posts: 46 | From: Hurghada | Registered: Jun 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ayisha
Member # 4713

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ayisha     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
we have the hand made hard cotton one but I bought soft pillows. when I last went back to UK I slept in my grandsons super soft bed and when I got in it I though 'oooohhhh thats lerverly!' soon changed my mind next morning as my back was so bad I could barely move, I slept on the sofa after that [Frown]

--------------------
If you don't learn from your mistakes, there's no sense making them.

Posts: 15090 | From: http://www.egyptalk.com/forum/ | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cloudberry
Member # 11163

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cloudberry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Experts say either is not good, too soft or too hard. My bones and back (lumbar region) start to hurt when I sleep on very hard Egyptian mattress. I don't even start with those pillows!

Someone was saying Egyptians think they are healthy. Well, maybe at first but any mattress (cotton or not) is not healty after a while, just look how old and dirty some of them are. Actually they are a health risk (when older and dirty), esp after 10 years of use. Mattress protector might help as you can wash it home (if it is not too thick).

Posts: 758 | From: Finland | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
karim
Member # 3077

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for karim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I bought my pillow from the states and it's feather. I take it with me everywhere.
Posts: 1226 | From: Egypt | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SherryBlueBerry
Member # 13867

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for SherryBlueBerry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I can relate to Murray..first time I was there I was going to be cute and flop back on the bed...ohhh to my surprise it was like landing on cement! I now call that bed the concrete bed! Those long hard pillows are impossible to scrunch up and wad up and punch...is like sleeping on a log underneath one's head.

Second, third & fourth times I went...had my own pillow but still had to endure the concrete bed.

Next time..maybe I will just buy a mattress!

Posts: 263 | From: Georgia USA | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Penny
Member # 1925

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Penny     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Those long pillows are so stupid. I always make a cup of tea in the morning and take it back to bed. Hubby has developed the knack of sleeping through this so he doesn't have to get up and make it.
Now how the heck can one of you sit up with those long pillows when the other is still sleeping on it. Seems to me they are designed to start marital wars.

Posts: 3809 | From: Paradise | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ayisha
Member # 4713

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ayisha     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by cloudberry:
Experts say either is not good, too soft or too hard. My bones and back (lumbar region) start to hurt when I sleep on very hard Egyptian mattress. I don't even start with those pillows!

Someone was saying Egyptians think they are healthy. Well, maybe at first but any mattress (cotton or not) is not healty after a while, just look how old and dirty some of them are. Actually they are a health risk (when older and dirty), esp after 10 years of use. Mattress protector might help as you can wash it home (if it is not too thick).

Most people here have the matress re-stuffed annually as the cotton does have a tendancy to become compacted and is more like concrete then. [Big Grin]
Posts: 15090 | From: http://www.egyptalk.com/forum/ | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com