EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Living in Egypt » Cages in Egyptian courtrooms

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Cages in Egyptian courtrooms
_
Member # 3567

Rate Member
Icon 11 posted      Profile for _     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In this particular case two couples are right now on trial for alledged illegal adoption of Egyptian children.

http://www.skynews.com.au/news/article.aspx?id=332852

Hell!! These people are NOT Hanibal Lecter kind of types. Have the Egyptians watched too much "Silence Of The Lambs" or what?? [Confused]

I truly find this awful and discriminating. And then these kind of pics even end up in the media!!!

Posts: 30135 | From: The owner of this website killed ES....... | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Snapdragon
Member # 9036

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Snapdragon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Tigerlily:
In this particular case two couples are right now on trial for alledged illegal adoption of Egyptian children.

http://www.skynews.com.au/news/article.aspx?id=332852

Hell!! These people are NOT Hanibal Lecter kind of types. Have the Egyptians watched too much "Silence Of The Lambs" or what?? [Confused]

I truly find this awful and discriminating. And then these kind of pics even end up in the media!!!

Anyone convicted of a crime in Egypt are put into those "cages" in the courtrooms when they have their trial.
Posts: 525 | From: USA | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
_
Member # 3567

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for _     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well yeah I am aware of that. But what do you think about it??

I think this law is completely outdated. This looks like animals on the way to the slaughter for me.

Treat people with respect until they are either proven guilty or not guilty. Well here comes the next problem - fraudulent trials. Ah don't get me started.

Posts: 30135 | From: The owner of this website killed ES....... | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ramses nemesis
Member # 4125

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ramses nemesis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Well yeah I am aware of that. But what do you think about it??

I think this law is completely outdated. This looks like animals on the way to the slaughter for me.

Treat people with respect until they are either proven guilty or not guilty. Well here comes the next problem - fraudulent trials. Ah don't get me started.

Hmmm, people were detained in Guantanamo and Abu Gharieb prisons in much worse conditions, then released without charge!!

As for the trial, I don't know anything about the case but it seems from your link that they did indeed commit a crime by producing false documents documents.
The article also says that they were not allowed abortion in the US even though they are US citizens. So why is this ok, but it's not ok to disallow it in Egypt.
Another interesting bit is that the article ends by saying that it's difficult for christians to adopt in Egypt, yet at the begining it says it is impossible for molems (illegal)!!!
Those are all discripancies from the article itself without even cross checking with other sources.

Ramses thinks, this is another piece of biased journalism [Confused]

Posts: 444 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
_
Member # 3567

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for _     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hello Ramsis, I posted an excellent article several days ago already on the subject.

Excerpt:

"The trial of Boutros, Andros and another couple is the first of its kind in Egypt. In the tangle of the country's regulations and customs, even lawyers are unsure whether adoption is allowed.

"I don't know if it is legal or illegal. Really, I don't know," said Aameh Saleh, the Egyptian lawyer representing Botros and Andros.

What is known is that Islamic law forbids adoption, and that is the law applied to Muslims in Egypt. The religion emphasizes maintaining clear bloodlines to ensure lines of patrimony and inheritance. At most, Muslims can take a child into long-term foster care, but such a situation does not allow the child to inherit from the foster parents.

Most often, orphans are informally taken in by their extended family, without any legal provisions. Almost all other Muslim countries in the Middle East have similar practices.

The law is far less clear concerning Egypt's Christian minority, to which Botros belongs. Adoptions within the Christian community _ including by Egyptian Christians living abroad _ do take place, usually involving a donation to a Christian orphanage. Proponents say this type of adoption is not explicitly banned, but still faces monumental barriers.

Many government officials are resistant to adoption _ believing it is not allowed _ and Muslim conservatives are opposed because they fear that Christians will adopt Muslim orphans and raise them as Christians.

The process is so long, confusing and tedious that the few Christians who try it often turn to backdoor methods like forgeries and bribes, sometimes organized by churches and mainly Christian orphanages.

"Adoption is organized throughout Egypt, through the churches," Saleh said. "The government knows about it all the time but turns a blind eye."

http://www.etaiwannews.com/etn/news_content.php?id=947244&lang=eng_news

Ramses nemesis
Member # 4125

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ramses nemesis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Hello Ramsis, I posted an excellent article several days ago already on the subject.

Excerpt:

"

"
What is known is that Islamic law forbids adoption, and that is the law applied to Muslims in Egypt. The religion emphasizes maintaining clear bloodlines to ensure lines of patrimony and inheritance. At most, Muslims can take a child into long-term foster care, but such a situation does not allow the child to inherit from the foster parents.

Hi TL, thanks for your article.
I suppose it depends on what you mean by adoption. If you mean giving them your name and allowing them to inherit, and not to keep the boundaries of decency of the opposite sex, then I believe it's not allowed. Other than that (to the best of my knowledge) is not only allowed but actually encouraged.
I believe there's a hadith that elevates the status of that who is sponsoring an orphan. The prophet himself (pbuh) was actually an orphan!!

I think the government is wary of anybody taking children out of the country irrespective of religion. I remember a few years ago somebody writing to the friday post of al-ahram newspaper about this issue. The person who ran this column was deeply involved in charity, his name is (was actually because he died) Abdul Wahab Metaou (spelling) and gave the reasond behind it but I can't remember it now.

I have to say I'm not familiar with the Christian religious ruling (if any) towards adoption, so can't really comment on that. But I genuinely don't believe the issue has anything to do with religion, that's my perception at least.

Posts: 444 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com