EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Living in Egypt » Importing a car

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Importing a car
GBA
Member # 14862

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for GBA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi,

I know this has been talked about a few times, but what is the situation. I have a GM truck back in Europe which is gathering dust [Frown]

I am getting tired of rent a car or taxi's to get anywhere. Is there a 'good' way to import my car or is it just going to be way too expensive.

Regards
Giles

Posts: 140 | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bob the dog
Member # 4691

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for bob the dog     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Giles.... the rules have changed recently.
If a car is more than 2 years old it can't be imported.
I don't know where you're from... but if it's right hand drive it can't be imported.
It's so ridiculously expensive to import a car..... it's really cheaper to buy one in Egypt.

Posts: 4238 | From: USA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GBA
Member # 14862

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for GBA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi - thanks for the info. Yes its more than 2 years old but left hand drive.
Posts: 140 | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
malak
Member # 3654

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for malak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I beleive you pay around 40% of the cars value to import it and some rules liek you must be the one and only owner of the car. My friend said that if you go to Port Siad, its like a car cemetery at one place... everyone who tries to bring cars in, just ends up leaving them there as it costs the same price as the car to bring it in. I would buy one here... once bought, cheap eneough to run and maintain.
Posts: 288 | From: UK | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dia001
Member # 12044

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for dia001     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Went into this detail myself recently, answer is far too expensive and I was told the car should be less than 1 year old. Nevertheless the import duties are ridiculous. Information I gathered were from various Shipping Companies and direct from the Egyptian Embassy, all confirmed same info.
Posts: 59 | From: Europe | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com