EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Living in Egypt » Hanging out in Zamalek

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Hanging out in Zamalek
LovedOne
Member # 10222

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LovedOne     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was telling hubby I thought it would be nice to go to Zamalek and just walk around or whatever, and it's not that far from where we are, but hubby doesn't know Zamalek well at all, and I've never been there.

Wondering if anyone has any recommendations about nice stores or cafes or places to visit / things to do there?

Also, are the mosquitoes bad in the evening/night there since it's right by the water?

Posts: 1283 | From: Cairo | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
_
Member # 3567

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for _     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just get into a cab and explore it!! [Big Grin]
Posts: 30135 | From: The owner of this website killed ES....... | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sashyra8
Member # 14488

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sashyra8     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Zamalek is a wonderful area to take a walk around,Loved One.Very pleasant and relatively quiet compared to other areas close to downtown.Also,if one does'nt speak Arabic it's even more,since it's mainly inhabited by expats.
Is one of my favorites in Cairo. [Smile]

Posts: 3833 | From: here,there,everywhere | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dzosser
Member # 9572

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dzosser   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Don't wanna brag about Zamalek because that's where I live [Roll Eyes] my image on ES is already dented enough, for me to behave like a border-line extict class of Egyptians.
For anything about Zamalek, ask the expats, like TL or Dalia who are more knowledgeable.. or simply ask Jeeves.

Posts: 3219 | From: Wisdom comes with age, but sometimes age comes alone. | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sashyra8
Member # 14488

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sashyra8     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wot??Nobody else can speak or give opinion about Zamalek other than you cause you live there,Dzosser???
[Roll Eyes]

It's still one of my favorite areas of Cairo to stroll around...regardless if you live there or not.

Posts: 3833 | From: here,there,everywhere | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
_
Member # 3567

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for _     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh well it's been over 10 years since I left but I am sure all the buildings are still there!!

Dzosser, I lived on Shagaret Al Dorr St. (very close to Pub 28 [Big Grin] ), Adel Abu Bakr St., Bahgat Aly St., a small street right off Brasil St. and two other places I can't remember their street names.

And I met my now husband at a pub in Zamalek too!! [Smile]

Posts: 30135 | From: The owner of this website killed ES....... | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dzosser
Member # 9572

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dzosser   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sashyra8:

It's still one of my favorite areas of Cairo to stroll around...regardless if you live there or not.

Good to know, that you only strolled in Zamalek, but didn't have a chance to enjoy dining in any of its restaurants or even visit the Marriott Hotel , the Mahmoud Khalil museum, the Cairo Tower, the Opera house, the Gezira Club, Al Ahli Club, the Nile boats and the variety of shops and boutiques. [Frown]
Posts: 3219 | From: Wisdom comes with age, but sometimes age comes alone. | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sashyra8
Member # 14488

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by Dzosser:
quote:
Originally posted by Sashyra8:

Good to know, that you only strolled in Zamalek, but didn't have a chance to enjoy dining in any of its restaurants or even visit the Marriott Hotel , the Mahmoud Khalil museum, the Cairo Tower, the Opera house, the Gezira Club, Al Ahli Club, the Nile boats and the variety of shops and boutiques. [Frown]
And who told you i only strolled,and that i didnt know of any of those you mentioned,or that i didnt visit them?For not living there i consider i can make it myself around pretty well,dont you think?
....but still remains a favorite to stroll. [Razz]

Dzosser
Member # 9572

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by Tigerlily:
Oh well it's been over 10 years since I left but I am sure all the buildings are still there!!

Dzosser, I lived on Shagaret Al Dorr St. (very close to Pub 28 [Big Grin] ), Adel Abu Bakr St., Bahgat Aly St., a small street right off Brasil St. and two other places I can't remember their street names.

And I met my now husband at a pub in Zamalek too!! [Smile]

There are so many pubs in Zamalek nowadays, much more 'IN' than Pub 28, which has become a good restaurant with a bar where you can enjoy a drink or two with a friend.
Examples of those fashionable places are 'La Bodega' on 26th.July St. , Don Quixote on Heshmat St. followed by Five bells on Ismail Muhammad St. [Wink]

_
Member # 3567

Rate Member
Are DEALS and L'AUBERGINE still in??
Dzosser
Member # 9572

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by Tigerlily:
Is DEALS and L'AUBERGINE still in??

Yes, they are, L'aubergine is strictly vegetarian as was always, TL you seem to know your way around [Cool]
*Dalia*
Member # 13012

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for *Dalia*     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
L'aubergine is strictly vegetarian as was always

And their food tastes awful. Never had a meal there that I liked, and I'm not very picky. [Frown]
Posts: 2803 | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dzosser
Member # 9572

Rate Member
And their food tastes awful. Never had a meal there that I liked, and I'm not very picky.

Don't eat it, lots of expats hang out where you don't.
Matter of taste, I guess.. [Razz]

*Dalia*
Member # 13012

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for *Dalia*     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Don't eat it

I don't. [Roll Eyes]
Posts: 2803 | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ford Prefect (not perfect)
Member # 9338

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ford Prefect (not perfect)   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here's a good place to start for ideas:
http://www.touregypt.net/featurestories/zamalekl.htm

It's a rather old article and it only focuses on one area of Zamalek, some of the shops may have moved also. Mobaco Cottons for example is no longer there last time I was in the neighborhood, there is one at the Marriott now.

In the area depicted by the article, I would not rely on a cab for exploring it... just walk it. The streets there are very congested.

The Cairo Tower is cool too, some great views from up there.

Posts: 409 | From: Betelgeuse | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LovedOne
Member # 10222

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LovedOne     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks Ford, it sounds like we will be able to find many nice stores, etc. there.
I was telling hubby tonight that I made a post on ES asking about places in Zamalek, and he said he used to go there back in his college days, he just hasn't been lately, so I guess he used to know places but we will both get to explore it now together.
[Smile]

Posts: 1283 | From: Cairo | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dzosser
Member # 9572

Rate Member
This is Zamalek's history, sorry its all in French, but you can see how it was then.. [Smile]

Historical Zamalek

Simply click on 'Le CAIRE' on the left, then 'B - Iles, rive gauche, rive droite' , then ' II - Zamalek'.. [Cool]

Sashyra8
Member # 14488

Rate Member
quote:
This is Zamalek's history, sorry its all in French, but you can see how it was then.. [Smile]

Historical Zamalek

Simply click on 'Le CAIRE' on the left, then 'B - Iles, rive gauche, rive droite' , then ' II - Zamalek'.. [Cool]

Ford Prefect's link is better! [Big Grin] [Razz]
Ford Prefect (not perfect)
Member # 9338

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ford Prefect (not perfect)   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I did some digging and found a sunset pic I had taken from the Cairo Tower back in Oct. of 2005 during Ramadan.

http://i41.tinypic.com/elbtzb.jpg

Here's another from earlier the same day looking up the Nile. You can see the Sheraton Hotel in the center left.

http://i39.tinypic.com/fo2fsj.jpg

Posts: 409 | From: Betelgeuse | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
_
Member # 3567

Rate Member
Oh well, back in history 100 years or so. LovedOne that's not how Zamalek looks anymore!! [Big Grin]

And FP, I assume that you took these pics on your first unforgettable visit in Egypt. I was always amazed how quiet the city becomes in the early morning hours.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com