EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Living in Egypt » Loving Egypt

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Loving Egypt
Dilemma
Member # 16672

Rate Member
Icon 7 posted      Profile for Dilemma     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I came back from Egypt and I loved it. I stayed in Cairo. Yes, Cairo is not like the states, but I felt like I have never felt before. I felt like a new person. My friends and family says I'm crazy, how can I live in a third world country, your handicapped, etc. but I want to retire there in 5 years.

Friends and family said I look better since I came from Egypt.

Posts: 133 | From: egypt/usa | Registered: May 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ayisha
Member # 4713

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ayisha     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
aaahh, I remember feeling like that too.

--------------------
If you don't learn from your mistakes, there's no sense making them.

Posts: 15090 | From: http://www.egyptalk.com/forum/ | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kalila : )
Member # 14517

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kalila : )         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Loving Egypt why ? Ayisha is Luxor a Godforsaken shithole ?
Posts: 3945 | From: ' Res Contr ' Amor non es guirens, lai on sos poders s'atura | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
* 7ayat *
Member # 7043

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for * 7ayat *     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I love Cairo. It really is an ugly city, but there is something about it that I love. I can't ever put my finger on it.
Posts: 4446 | From: Egyptian in Sydney | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ford Prefect (not perfect)
Member # 9338

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ford Prefect (not perfect)   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by * 7ayat *:
I love Cairo. It really is an ugly city, but there is something about it that I love. I can't ever put my finger on it.

Ditto
Posts: 409 | From: Betelgeuse | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bob the dog
Member # 4691

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for bob the dog     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Egypt#1... just be aware that living in Egypt is very different to going there on vacation.
Make as many trips as you can before you make a decision of any kind.
I speak from experience... I lived in Egypt for many years....
Of course life from a 'tourist' point of view is very easy.... wait until you find yourself without electricity and water for hours on end...
can't get anything done properly...

I'm not trying to put you off.... I'm in Egypt now for 7 weeks and lovong every minute...
just letting you know how different life is as a tourist or resident

7ayat... you love it because it's your home... and your heart is always where your home is!! Even though you're an 'old Aussie' now.... Cairo will always be your home!

Posts: 4238 | From: USA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ayisha
Member # 4713

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ayisha     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Kalila, yes!

egypt#1, listen to mamasue and those who have done the move. It is so different living here that no words can possibly make you understand! Visit A LOT before you move, it really is NOTHING like being on holiday.

--------------------

Posts: 15090 | From: http://www.egyptalk.com/forum/ | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dzosser
Member # 9572

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dzosser   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Aww Ayisha..Luxor isn't that bad after all [Frown] did you study Ramses II ? This guy ruled Egypt for 67 years, he married like 4 of his daughters thinking he was God, and was a sex machine..he had 6o daughters and 48 sons [Eek!] He built the Ramesseum Temple to be worshiped and had to deal with a guy that denied all his crap..namely a Moses that drove Ramses up the wall [Big Grin]
Read about him and look at what Luxor and Abu Sumbul have to say..research the guy and see him on display in Cairo's 'Egyptian Museum'.

Luxor is far from being a shithole, in my opinion of course [Roll Eyes]

Here..start from clicking on this :

http://www.sacred-destinations.com/egypt/luxor-ramesseum.htm

Posts: 3219 | From: Wisdom comes with age, but sometimes age comes alone. | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
* 7ayat *
Member # 7043

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for * 7ayat *     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by mamasue:
Egypt#1... just be aware that living in Egypt is very different to going there on vacation.
Make as many trips as you can before you make a decision of any kind.
I speak from experience... I lived in Egypt for many years....
Of course life from a 'tourist' point of view is very easy.... wait until you find yourself without electricity and water for hours on end...
can't get anything done properly...

I'm not trying to put you off.... I'm in Egypt now for 7 weeks and lovong every minute...
just letting you know how different life is as a tourist or resident

7ayat... you love it because it's your home... and your heart is always where your home is!! Even though you're an 'old Aussie' now.... Cairo will always be your home!

Well Alexandria is also my home and I hate it. My family moved there when I was 13 and I finished high school there before moving to Cairo alone to study. My parents remained in Alex and my brother, wife and kids live there too. So in many ways it's home, but I can't stand it.

There is something different about Cairo.

Posts: 4446 | From: Egyptian in Sydney | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ayisha
Member # 4713

Member Rated:
Dzosser, Luxor of Ramses II, my fav pharoah actually, is NOT Luxor of today. If all I had to do was wonder round temples everyday I would be happy as Larry, but I dont, I have to deal life and people here NOW and they are not Ramses II they are more the one that drive you up the wall!

[Frown]

--------------------

Dzosser
Member # 9572

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dzosser   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ayisha:
Dzosser, Luxor of Ramses II, my fav pharoah actually, is NOT Luxor of today. If all I had to do was wonder round temples everyday I would be happy as Larry, but I dont, I have to deal life and people here NOW and they are not Ramses II they are more the one that drive you up the wall!

[Frown]

Didn't you know that Egypt isn't all that fun after all, before taking this huge step into utter shock ? [Eek!]
Posts: 3219 | From: Wisdom comes with age, but sometimes age comes alone. | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ayisha
Member # 4713

Member Rated:
yes of course I did! But I still get daily shocks about the hypocrisy here, the laziness here and the total inability to retain ANY knowledge here.

Last month I felt differently, next month inshaAllah I will feel differently, but NOW I feel its a God foresaken shithole full of feckin animals as I did 2 months ago.

The OP needs to be aware this is how it gets you sometimes and its not all 'lovely friendly people and beautiful sunsets on the Nile'

--------------------

* 7ayat *
Member # 7043

Rate Member
Of all the sad things in Egypt, Luxor breaks my heart the most. How can a city that sits on the beautiful Nile and has so many temples and just an unbelievable amount of heritage, be so underdeveloped, filthy, disgusting and primitive is beyond me. Luxor could have been one of the most beautiful cities in the world, it could have been the Rome of Egypt, but look how crappy it is now. I just hate the Egyptian government, the whole bloody system and just in general how Egyptians don't give a damn about their own country and heritage.
Ayisha
Member # 4713

Member Rated:
exactly 7ayat. but its not the fault of 'the Egyptian government' but the gov of Luxor. Luxor is now a building site, all of it. no one knows whose home will be torn down next, new buildings 6 months ago are being torn down, hotels and businesses are vanishing, they cant seem to make up their minds what is going on and there seems to be no plan!

Oh and one thing that amazes me, this fella doesnt like TREES! so trees are ripped up and no new ones planted. There is a new massive area behind Luxor temple, all beautifully paved with benches to sit on and NO SHADE at all. The new outside of Karnak temple is all beautifully paved too, again no shade, in summer you could faint of heat just walking to the entrance of the temple! The NEW Karnak visitors centre I heard the other day is now coming down, I havenet even seen it open yet! Why is all this money WASTED like this??

gggrrrrrrrrrr

--------------------

Kalila : )
Member # 14517

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kalila : )         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
[Frown] sorry i did not mean to open a can of worms Dzosser bagga orf ! [Wink] [Big Grin]
Posts: 3945 | From: ' Res Contr ' Amor non es guirens, lai on sos poders s'atura | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dzosser
Member # 9572

Rate Member
quote:
Of all the sad things in Egypt, Luxor breaks my heart the most. How can a city that sits on the beautiful Nile and has so many temples and just an unbelievable amount of heritage, be so underdeveloped, filthy, disgusting and primitive is beyond me. Luxor could have been one of the most beautiful cities in the world, it could have been the Rome of Egypt, but look how crappy it is now. I just hate the Egyptian government, the whole bloody system and just in general how Egyptians don't give a damn about their own country and heritage.

There are many Egyptians that care, some even go to the extent of believing that Egypt was better off during the monarchic days or when it was a British protectorate, why ? For one simple fact..better management and serious quality control, nothing more than that, it doesn't take much to realize how this generation of Egyptians has become.

The ones that care have become in imminent danger of extinction, the majority don't care.

Sashyra8
Member # 14488

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sashyra8     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ford Prefect (not perfect):
quote:

Ditto
Add me here.Too funny that statement that it's "an ugly city" [Big Grin] ,but it has what i deem as a charming but at the same time strong personality,if that can be used to describe a city. You either gotta love or hate it but will never leave you indiferent.
Posts: 3833 | From: here,there,everywhere | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ayisha
Member # 4713

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by Dzosser:

The ones that care have become in imminent danger of extinction, the majority don't care.

Which do you prefer, Dzosser the Dinosaur or Dzosser the Dodo? [Big Grin]
Clear and QSY
Member # 15597

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Clear and QSY     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As much as I get frustrated here (in Egypt) sometimes - I have to say I was happy to be back in Cairo after 5 days in UAE. It's a nice place to visit but I wouldn't want to live there.
Posts: 1626 | From: whatever, wherever | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com