EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Living in Egypt » Cairo (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Cairo
Shygirl
Member # 16693

Rate Member
Icon 7 posted      Profile for Shygirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hello, this is my 1st post so not really sure what to say... well i'm moving to Cairo in August to start a new job.

I'm looking for advice from anyone who lives there really. I'm not 100% sure of my location yet but it will be either 6 October or New Cairo. I do not really know enough Arabic to get by, trying to learn though, and my concerns are; transport, I don't drive so how easy is it to get about on the Metro, bus, taxi knowing hardly any Arabic and how much does it cost? nd shopping, where is the best place to go in either of these areas, (without knowing Arabic, and how can I get there....

I appreciate any help, I know it is different to a holiday, and would be grateful of any advice!!!

Posts: 17 | From: Cairo | Registered: Jun 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shygirl
Member # 16693

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Shygirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
ohh sorry also to add, forgot this, is it easy to buy /find hair dye, or are there any good hairressers anyone can recommend? thanks again for the advice!
Posts: 17 | From: Cairo | Registered: Jun 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
My_Login_Name
Member # 16667

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for My_Login_Name     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Welcome to Cairo my lovely city that i miss so much [Frown] i am working abroad and missing Egypt so much
you are so lucky to be working and living in Egypt.

Posts: 199 | From: Here and there | Registered: May 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dawn-Bev*
Member # 15190

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dawn-Bev*     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
OldBag of Cairo has some very good transport info and other info on her blog - I am sure you will find this usefull,
I've got the link somewhere but if you google
BLOG - oldbag - Cairo

Posts: 712 | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shygirl
Member # 16693

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Shygirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thats great will look now, thank you for your help
Clear and QSY
Member # 15597

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Clear and QSY     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi. Welcome to Cairo. I have a blog too: http://www.onefleetingglimpse.com/

It took me one year to find a good hairdresser, but I know a guy in Mohandiseen who is from Lebanon.

No need to worry about knowing too much Arabic. I have not spoken a word of Arabic in the year I have lived here.

About the hair dye you can find a good selection at Carrefour or Hyper. Most pharmacies have some too, but usually not as big a selection as Carrefour.

Posts: 1626 | From: whatever, wherever | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shygirl
Member # 16693

Rate Member
Thats great thank you so much for your help! where are Carrefour and Hyper located?.. I have only visited Cairo on 4 occasions for a week each and stayed in Manial, so not very good on the Geography or transport in cairo [Frown]
Clear and QSY
Member # 15597

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Clear and QSY     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There is one Carrefour in Maadi, the other is in 6th of October. Hyper is located in 6th of October. There is also a Spinneys located on the Ground floor of City Stars mall in Nasr City, which is another place to get everything from groceries to general household supplies.
Posts: 1626 | From: whatever, wherever | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shygirl
Member # 16693

Rate Member
Thats great, thank you very much for your help
Dzosser
Member # 9572

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dzosser   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You'll need to buy a small Chinese car, unless you're willing to use public transportation [Eek!] like SQ, an ESer we used to have here once upon a time, and left us [Frown]
Posts: 3219 | From: Wisdom comes with age, but sometimes age comes alone. | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shygirl
Member # 16693

Rate Member
lol having seen the driving in cairo I think i will chance the public transport.. i'm too nervous to try and drive in that [Frown]
Aliym
Member # 12012

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Aliym     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
well since you will chance on the public transports then I wish you good luck,,The matter would be hard at first and you will feel you wont be able to adapt them but bit by bit I believe you would be able to get used to them and handle them InshaaAllah.

My own advice is to stay away from taxis as possible as you can if you dont wanna lose all of your money in almost couple of days,,Try more to rely on the microbuses since they consider IMHO to be better than the buses in the crowds,, In the microbus you will whatever still be able to find a chair to sit on it without like hundreds of human beings are sitting on you as it be like that in most of the buses.

I didnt really go too much to 6 of october but I have seen many buses are going there depends on where you will be there as well as for being in new cairo depends where you will be,,But I believe you wouldnt find it too hard to find transports from new cairo which will pick you to anywhere in cairo,,Both areas starting to get loads of new residents since almost if im right 2 decades ago so the transports from both wouldnt be that hard inshaaAllah.

Its not easy in fact to adapt to Egypt specially Cairo if you get used to live in cleaner/calmer place than it but I think if you just take it easy it will be fine inshaaAllah,,Wish you happy days in Egypt.

Posts: 712 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shygirl
Member # 16693

Rate Member
Thank you very much, I will certainly take it on board
Penny
Member # 1925

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Penny     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Shygirl really try and find time to learn some basic arabic especially the correct greetings and how to give directions and ask for assistance. It will make so much difference to how you are treated and help you move towards not being treated as a tourist. Taxis are far less likely to try and rip you off if you speak to them in arabic and greet them correctly.

You need to make sure you are learning Colloquial Egyptian arabic ...the Pimsleur courses on CD are excellent and the rough guide phrasebook ISBN 1-85828-319-1 is also very handy.

Posts: 3809 | From: Paradise | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shygirl
Member # 16693

Rate Member
Thank you for that Penny, I have just ordered the Pimsleur CD's, I really do want to try and learn a bit at least.
advocate
Member # 13367

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for advocate     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Dzosser:
You'll need to buy a small Chinese car, unless you're willing to use public transportation [Eek!] like SQ, an ESer we used to have here once upon a time, and left us [Frown]

I have used public transport with SQ and I found it to be just fine, I was more nervous crossing the road! [Big Grin]
Posts: 1917 | From: WALES | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
* 7ayat *
Member # 7043

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for * 7ayat *     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The Ministry of Common Sense:

No need to worry about knowing too much Arabic. I have not spoken a word of Arabic in the year I have lived here.

And you are proud of yourself for that?
Posts: 4446 | From: Egyptian in Sydney | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vader-
Member # 14189

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Vader-   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Geez, what's up your asthma ?

Don't see anything wrong with it, if it's not broken, no need to fix it, in other words if you can use English and hand signs to get around why would you learn another language ?

Posts: 6335 | From: Straight to my heart. | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
*Souri*
Member # 9095

Icon 1 posted      Profile for *Souri*     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My own advice is to stay away from taxis as possible as you can if you dont wanna lose all of your money in almost couple of days,

I don’t understand why many people complain about the taxi in Cairo, [Confused] Taxi drivers are what I miss the most from Egypt, I found them to be very helpful with me when I was living there, and if you try to speak a bit Arabic to them, they will greatly appreciate your efforts. One day I was travelling from city star to Roxy, the driver was very nice, he showed me pictures of his family, and at the end of my trip, he refused me to pay the fee.
I also noticed that they often help people who get lost on the road, to find their ways.

Posts: 1182 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Clear and QSY
Member # 15597

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by * 7ayat *:
quote:

And you are proud of yourself for that?
I was simply addressing the poster's concern that she does not know much Arabic and was worried about her ability to communicate. I was simply letting her know that it is nothing she has to worry about because lots of people - including myself - have survived quite well in Cairo communicating in English.
* 7ayat *
Member # 7043

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for * 7ayat *     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah but that's the point. It is disrespectful to live in a country without bothering to learn the language. I've seen a lot of expats go to Egypt and live not only for years, but sometimes decades without taking the time to learn the language. How can you people stand it? I don't think I would have survived in Australia, if I didn't speak English. The language does not only help you communicate but makes it easier to make friends and also to learn about the culture, because much of a country's culture is in its language.

Your advice is quite dangerous. People should be encouraged to learn Arabic, not told that they shouldn't bother. It is sad that you think this way.

Posts: 4446 | From: Egyptian in Sydney | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Clear and QSY
Member # 15597

Rate Member
quote:
Yeah but that's the point. It is disrespectful to live in a country without bothering to learn the language. I've seen a lot of expats go to Egypt and live not only for years, but sometimes decades without taking the time to learn the language. How can you people stand it? I don't think I would have survived in Australia, if I didn't speak English. The language does not only help you communicate but makes it easier to make friends and also to learn about the culture, because much of a country's culture is in its language.

Your advice is quite dangerous. People should be encouraged to learn Arabic, not told that they shouldn't bother. It is sad that you think this way.

99.99% of Egyptians are speaking in English themselves. Cairo is full of International Schools and 100% of teaching is done in English. You did not have to start learning English after you moved to Australia - you had to know it before you went. You have probably been speaking English since you were in KG1.

English is the Universal language of communication.

Besides that I don't come into contact with many Egyptians and the ones I do speak to me in English before I would even have a chance to utter a word of Arabic.

It's not disrespectful not to learn a language when you live in another country. It's more disprectful to insult someone's intelligence and butcher their language pretending you can speak it when they themselves already speak yours. And it is only disrespectful if I would demand to be spoken to in English by those who can't speak it.

*Dalia*
Member # 13012

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for *Dalia*     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am always surprised when people say they get around in Cairo without speaking Arabic because I always felt that's almost impossible, or at least very tedious.

During my first months here when I only spoke a little bit of classical Arabic I felt severely handicapped. Everything -- from buying household stuff to taking taxis was a nightmare for me. And I absolutely hated the feeling of having no idea what people around me were saying. I felt deaf and mute.

Of course upper class Egyptians and maybe even most shopkeepers in Maadi speak English. But in other areas that's not the case. During all my time in Cairo I have encountered very, very few taxi drivers who speak English. And in most cases taxi drivers don't know the way so you have to explain it to them which is not possible if you speak no Arabic. Not to mention the fact that being able to communicate with them in their language usually saves you from being ripped off.

My landlord, the plumber, electrician, cleaning lady, tailor, bauwab, ... none of them speaks any English. And I would hate having to ask friends to come and translate every time I need to communicate with any of those people.

quote:
It's more disprectful to insult someone's intelligence and butcher their language pretending you can speak it when they themselves already speak yours.

Interesting that you say that, because *I* often feel like my intelligence is being insulted when people try to speak to me in English although their English is worse than my Arabic. It happens all the time ... I go into a store or something and speak Arabic, and the other person constantly replies in English, but their English is so bad that I have real trouble understanding it. I know they are just trying to be helpful and to show off a bit but sometimes it upsets me because I feel I'm being treated like an idiot.
Posts: 2803 | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Clear and QSY
Member # 15597

Rate Member
And furthermore, English has been a central part of the Egyptian curriculum in almost all schools in Egypt (even at the national level) for decades now. Egyptian children have Egnlish classes from the time they start KG1 all the way through to college.

For an American to go out and buy "teach yourself Arabic" travellers cd's is great, but you come away with a handful of words and phrases and no solid foundation for actual meaningful communication. So, yeah, it's easy to learn a few words of Arabic in order to bark directions at a taxi driver. But Arabic is a hard language to learn and takes more than just broken conversations with a waiter or taxi driver to make it work.

Clear and QSY
Member # 15597

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by *Dalia*:
I am always surprised when people say they get around in Cairo without speaking Arabic because I always felt that's almost impossible, or at least very tedious.

During my first months here when I only spoke a little bit of classical Arabic I felt severely handicapped. Everything -- from buying household stuff to taking taxis was a nightmare for me. And I absolutely hated the feeling of having no idea what people around me were saying. I felt deaf and mute.

Of course upper class Egyptians and maybe even most shopkeepers in Maadi speak English. But in other areas that's not the case. During all my time in Cairo I have encountered very, very few taxi drivers who speak English. And in most cases taxi drivers don't know the way so you have to explain it to them which is not possible if you speak no Arabic. Not to mention the fact that being able to communicate with them in their language usually saves you from being ripped off.

My landlord, the plumber, electrician, cleaning lady, tailor, bauwab, ... none of them speaks any English. And I would hate having to ask friends to come and translate every time I need to communicate with any of those people.

I did not say that I don't know how to speak Arabic. I said that I have had no need to. I actually taught myself to read and write Arabic in 2005 (3 years before moving to Egypt)using the Alif Baa books from Georgetown University Press. I had Pimsleur CD's, Living Language, Arabic for dummies, etc. My understanding of what is being said is far greater than my ability to respond to them in Arabic. I am one of those people who has a hard time grasping grammar.

I can read Arabic very well, but don't have an extensive vocabulary of the words I am sounding out. So I sound like a 4 year old learning how to read.

Furthermore, my mind is going in my old age and I have a hard time remembering new words when I learn them.

However, I have never found myself in a situation where I have had to use any Arabic further than la'a shukran.

But then again, I live in a building with no bowab and I don't go out much. When I do go out I walk or ride the Metro.

Waiters in restaurants (except when I lived in Alex) always begin the conversation with me in English - which is my cue to continue it in English.

*Dalia*
Member # 13012

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for *Dalia*     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Struggling to learn Arabic in Egypt

CAIRO — It was a simple question that I know I posed correctly in Arabic.
"What time does the movie Stolen Kisses begin?" I asked the guy at the ticket booth in my best Egyptian dialect.

"At 7 o'clock," he responded in heavily accented and barely understandable English, as if I hadn't just spoken to him in Arabic.

"How much are the tickets?" I said in dialect, refusing to speak to him in English.

"Twenty Egyptian pounds," he answered, again in English.

I had come to Cairo for a month to do an intensive Arabic course after studying the language three years at UCLA, and had become accustomed to such linguistic battles. With a small group of men hovering to watch this ridiculous conversation unfold, it was time to employ a surprise maneuver that would be my best chance for linguistic triumph.

I shook my head in disbelief, and then, switching to Modern Standard Arabic, and speaking louder, asked the man in a sarcastic tone: "Do you even speak Arabic?"

The question produced laughter from him and the audience, but it had the desired effect: By asking in the written and more formal Arabic that only educated Arabs are truly versed in, I had changed the equation. Instead of trying to show me he spoke English, he was now on the hook to show me he had a good level in standard Arabic — in essence, that he had a certain level of education.

"Yes, of course," he said in Arabic, the standard variety, no less. "You are funny."

I told him that since we were in Egypt I figured we might as well speak Arabic. We both had a laugh, and after a few more exchanges we shook hands. I told him I would come back later to see the movie.

When it comes to culture, history and even Arabic, Egypt is arguably the center of the Arab world. Egypt strikes a middle ground, both philosophical and geographical, between the more liberal Arabic-speaking countries like Morocco to the west and conservative Gulf nations like Saudi Arabia to the east. And as Egyptians will proudly tell you, their dialect is the most widely understood worldwide thanks to Egyptian movies and music that for decades have been beamed into Arab households across the Middle East.

Despite all that, trying to learn Arabic in an Arabic-speaking country can be difficult. For one thing, Egyptians jump on any chance they get to practice English, even if they only know a few words. And spoken Arabic dialects are hard to master no matter which country you try to learn them in, because they're often so wildly different from standard Arabic that they seem like a different language.

Most universities in the United States and other English-speaking countries only teach standard Arabic, and not the dialects of particular countries. Standard Arabic is the written language of schools, diplomacy, banking and news. It's not, however, a language that anyone outside of those circles speaks on a daily basis.

So does it make sense to learn it? Wouldn't it just be better to study a dialect? These are questions that perplex every student of Arabic. My short answer is that if you just learn a dialect (likely on your own, because few places teach them), you may be limited to that one country. Also, dialects are not widely written. You might be able to read a street sign, but not a newspaper or magazine if you don't know formal Arabic.

The reality is that the Arab world has a standard written language and then several spoken dialects (so as not to offend Arabic purists, I should also mention Classical Arabic, the language of the Quran and Arabic's highest written form).

When I arrived in Cairo and got in a taxi, I thought I was in the wrong country. Because I had had very little training in Egyptian dialect before arrival, I spoke to the driver in standard Arabic. He understood me — most Egyptians comprehend it but can't converse in it — but I had no clue what he said in reply.

Eleven terms of high-level Arabic at UCLA, including advanced courses with poetry, Quranic verses and full compositions, and I couldn't even shoot the breeze with this guy!

Within a few weeks, I was more comfortable with the dialect, in large part thanks to an intensive course at the International Language Institute that focused on helping advanced students morph their standard Arabic into something they can use on the street.

One of my coolest experiences in Cairo happened at a kiosk. Buying a newspaper in Arabic, I struck up a conversation with the guy working at the kiosk, Ahmed. An avid reader, Ahmed had a very good level of standard Arabic and was proud to use it. A few minutes later, his friend Mohammed arrived.

Mohammed saw my newspaper and told me he couldn't read or write since he had never gone to school. Curious about the United States, as many Egyptians are, Mohammed had question after question. But I struggled to understand a lot of what he said because he of course spoke in dialect.

So Ahmed jumped in, translating for me Mohammed's questions into standard Arabic. I would then respond in standard Arabic, and if Mohammed didn't understand, Ahmed would then translate what I said back to dialect. The fascinating 45-minute conversation hit home for me just how complex Arabic can be, even for native speakers.

The second challenge in Egypt is communicating in English. As in many foreign countries, there are a handful in Egypt who speak it amazingly well, while the vast majority have a level somewhere between zilch to intermediate.

The difference is that so many Egyptians seem to believe they need to use what they know with foreigners. Of course, so few foreigners speak Arabic that Egyptians assume it's better to use English — and getting them to change that assumption can be tough.

"Speak to me in English," the guy at the train station in Alexandria told me when I asked for a ticket in Arabic.

I did just that, responding in unfiltered and normal-speed English just to test this guy's chops (after all, he had questioned my manhood, in linguistic terms).

The result? He stared at me blankly, and we were reduced to gestures and grunts.

This passion for English may have several roots. Egypt is a former British colony. English-language movies, TV and culture are ubiquitous. Plus, English is the worldwide language of business, and Egyptians are some of the toughest negotiators you'll ever meet.

On the street, it comes down to this: An Egyptian man who knows 10 words of English will often, literally, use them over and over in conversation, even if you both are speaking in Arabic and it's clear you understand. For example, while speaking Arabic, when he comes to a place where the word "good" could be used, and he knows that word in English, he'll insert it.

That can be disorienting. When you don't understand something, it's hard to know if he used a few words in English that you didn't recognize because of poor pronunciation, or if you simply just didn't understand the Arabic.

Attempting to avoid English, by week two I was telling taxi drivers and others I came across that I was Spanish or French, and that I didn't speak English. That neutralized English somewhat, but pretending that I didn't understand my native language felt strange.

Of course, studying Arabic in Egypt will help students develop a much better grasp of the language than anything they could do in the United States.

Egyptians may be enamored of English and have a hard-to-master dialect, but Arabic is the national language and it's alive and well. Add to that fun and very social people — not long after meeting someone, you often find yourself at a cafe sipping tea and smoking flavored tobacco out of a hookah pipe — and you've got a formula for what any stint abroad should be: an adventure.

Source

Posts: 2803 | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
*Dalia*
Member # 13012

Member Rated:
quote:
I did not say that I don't know how to speak Arabic. I said that I have had no need to.

I wasn't suggesting you don't know any Arabic. It was the fact that you said you don't need it to get around in daily life that surprised me, since my own experiences are so different.

I've heard this before, but mostly from people who always lived in Maadi ... maybe that is the reason? It might be easier there?

quote:
Waiters in restaurants (except when I lived in Alex) always begin the conversation with me in English - which is my cue to continue it in English.

I'm the opposite, if they address me in English, I'll continue in Arabic. [Big Grin] Same thing in banks, stores etc.
Clear and QSY
Member # 15597

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by *Dalia*:
[QUOTE]I wasn't suggesting you don't know any Arabic. It was the fact that you said you don't need it to get around in daily life that surprised me, since my own experiences are so different.

Sorry, Dalia, that remark was not aimed at you, but the previous poster.

Yes, living in Maadi is different. I very rarely would ever need to use Arabic here (and I'm referring to times when I'm out by myself without my husband). You would think I would have more exposure being that I have an Egyptian husband - but even he speaks in English 100% of the time.

The funny thing is when my husband and I go out together (even in Maadi) the waiters look at him and ask him if he speaks Arabic.

*Dalia*
Member # 13012

Member Rated:
quote:
The funny thing is when my husband and I go out together (even in Maadi) the waiters look at him and ask him if he speaks Arabic.

[Big Grin]
A little while ago I had an Egyptian friend over and we ordered food. When the delivery guy came, my friend insisted on opening the door and paying for the food. But since it was my foreign name on the receipt, the delivery guy spoke to him in English, which I found hilarious since my friend looks very Egyptian / Arabic.

Clear and QSY
Member # 15597

Rate Member
When I worked at the school we were forbidden to speak one word of Arabic on the campus.

My assistant was a young Egyptian girl who had grown up in Qatar. She could speak Egyptian Arabic, but could not read or write Arabic.

I believe that if things continue the way the are with education in Egypt - Arabic will soon die out in many segments of life here.

Shygirl
Member # 16693

Rate Member
Icon 10 posted      Profile for Shygirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank you all for your replies and advice. I will definately try to learn as much as possible before I go. Has anyone got any recommendations for the best way?
Clear and QSY
Member # 15597

Rate Member
I tried all different methods. Pimsleur is by far the best for all audio learning. Most of the CD's you can pick up in stores focus on "travellers Arabic". So you learn how to ask for clean towels in your hotel room. LOL But Pimsleur is more conversational and more practical expressions and phrases.

If you want to attempt to learn how to read and write (which is not as hard as you would think) then I recommend a book called Alif Baa available from Georgetown University Press. It comes with DVD's and guides you step by step through the writing process. This is the best book for someone who wants to be able to teach themselves instead of enrolling in an expensive course.

If you want a decent phrase book with good Roman transliteration - then pick up a copy of Lonely Planet's Egyptian Arabic Phrasebook.

Alif Baa Introduction to Arabic letters and Sounds

Lonely Planet Egyptian Arabic Phrasebook

Pimsleur Programs for Egyptian Arabic

Alif Baa with DVD's

Alif Baa direct from Georgetown University Press

*Dalia*
Member # 13012

Member Rated:
quote:
If you want to attempt to learn how to read and write (which is not as hard as you would think) then I recommend a book called Alif Baa available from Georgetown University Press. It comes with DVD's and guides you step by step through the writing process. This is the best book for someone who wants to be able to teach themselves instead of enrolling in an expensive course.

I think you don't even need DVDs and stuff to teach yourself to read and write, almost any Arabic book for beginners will do. You can learn the alphabet in a week or two, and the rest is just practice anyway.

Also, it might be worth checking out YouTube, there are lots of tutorials and lessons for the Arabic alphabet.

Sashyra8
Member # 14488

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sashyra8     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I got the Pimsleur Basic Egyptian Arabic program.
If the person follows as directed,is quite good for basic.

....even if Egy friends laugh at me when they hear my pronuntiation. [Big Grin]

Posts: 3833 | From: here,there,everywhere | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Clear and QSY
Member # 15597

Rate Member
I found the DVD's to be very helpful though for proper writing techniques. Besides that they have the very famous and somewhat amusing story of Maha and Khaled.

The drama of Maha and Khaled

* 7ayat *
Member # 7043

Rate Member
quote:
quote:

99.99% of Egyptians are speaking in English themselves. Cairo is full of International Schools and 100% of teaching is done in English. You did not have to start learning English after you moved to Australia - you had to know it before you went. You have probably been speaking English since you were in KG1.

English is the Universal language of communication.

Besides that I don't come into contact with many Egyptians and the ones I do speak to me in English before I would even have a chance to utter a word of Arabic.

It's not disrespectful not to learn a language when you live in another country. It's more disprectful to insult someone's intelligence and butcher their language pretending you can speak it when they themselves already speak yours. And it is only disrespectful if I would demand to be spoken to in English by those who can't speak it.

Seriously, how can 99.99% of Egyptians speak English when 60% of them can't even read or write? [Smile] I mean I would be proud if so many Egyptians spoke English, because having multiple languages is great, but I just don't think so. I would be surprised if people in the countryside towns, like Shobra Kheima for example, spoke English.

And yes English is the universal language and there are international schools etc. But that doesn't mean that it has become Egypt's national language. We still speak Arabic, it is still considered our native tongue, which is great. Wouldn't it be boring if the entire world spoke English? As I said, much of the culture is in the language. Not knowing the language, means that you will never understand the culture.

If I were you I would try and take some Arabic classes.

* 7ayat *
Member # 7043

Rate Member
quote:
When I worked at the school we were forbidden to speak one word of Arabic on the campus.

My assistant was a young Egyptian girl who had grown up in Qatar. She could speak Egyptian Arabic, but could not read or write Arabic.

I believe that if things continue the way the are with education in Egypt - Arabic will soon die out in many segments of life here.

What you don't understand is that you are dealing with a minority. These international schools are bloody expensive and very very few Egyptians can afford them. So, no English is not overtaking Arabic at all.

Although I have to admit, I am not happy with the way Egyptians treat their own language. I mean I can't imagine what would happen in Australia, if a French school, for example told the Aussie students that they are not allowed to speak a word of English. It would be a scandal I reckon.

Questionmarks
Member # 12336

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Questionmarks     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I could be wrong, but I think to remember that on Dutch International Schools the main language also is English. Everything is in English and students are supposed to use English as if it was their native language.
The disadvantage about this is that the students are kind of limited in their educational future; they only can go to international continuation courses. Of course there is a wide range of more higher and university level, but majority are in Dutch and not in English. So, it's good to realise that children, when they have to go to elementary school, are limiting their own possibilities by going to an International School, how high the status of such schools might be...
In my opinion it's better to go to the normal schools, and possibly endeepen the level of English by a language-course abroad, in order to follow an higher or university education in English. Cheaper ánd better! Then you leave all possibilities open; native and international languages.

The bloody expensive [Wink] international schools in Egypt are used as a symbol of class, and also have disadvantages. When the children don't reach the wished level to go to a university or higher education institute, they in fact have nothing. They are not able to follow education in Arabic, and they are not able to go to the international universities.

Posts: 7202 | From: EU | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
* 7ayat *
Member # 7043

Rate Member
So in Holland, who tends to go to these schools. Students who are children of expats, or the Dutch themselves? Just curious.
Questionmarks
Member # 12336

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Questionmarks     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, all kinds of everything, really.
Children from people working for international companies, children from immigrants( where the parents don't know if they ever return), children from expats ( working on temporary base), and just the Dutch children who want to study and work abroad, or choosed a field that is on a higher level in the US or UK.
Let me take your field as an example, suppose you want to work in television journalism. The BBC is world-famous, and if you want to end up there ( or by the tv-stations as CNN) an international education is a plus...

Posts: 7202 | From: EU | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Clear and QSY
Member # 15597

Rate Member
quote:
quote:

What you don't understand is that you are dealing with a minority. These international schools are bloody expensive and very very few Egyptians can afford them. So, no English is not overtaking Arabic at all.

Although I have to admit, I am not happy with the way Egyptians treat their own language. I mean I can't imagine what would happen in Australia, if a French school, for example told the Aussie students that they are not allowed to speak a word of English. It would be a scandal I reckon.

Yes, the International Schools are expensive. But they are also full of Egyptian students. I have interviewed at and toured enough of them to know. And each time I walk away thinking "Who are all these people who can afford 30,000 LE per year for each child and where in the HELL are they working?" Sure it's a status thing and that's what Egyptians want. They would rather spend the money to send their kids to intenational schools if they have it, than to save the money and send them to a school with a lesser reputation (but equal education.)

Let me tell you I am so disguisted with what goes on in these schools that I have given up the thought that I will teach here in Egypt again. All my friends are foreign teachers and none can stand to teach in Egypt. Various reasons which I shall not get into here.

But I even have a friend who works at what could be considered a National level school - and it is the same thing. In her KG1 class - not a word of Arabic is to be uttered by the foreign teacher. The assistants can speak Arabic to them because of their age and level. But they are encouraged to communicate only in English.

If this trend continues - it will take years, maybe decades - but Egypt will be full of people who can speak English fluently as their first language, and speak Arabic at home with the older members of the family. But they won't be able to read or write Arabic. Just like what happened with second generation immigrants to the US from Italy, Germany, Spain, etc. The native language will die out. And Egypt continues to build and open International schools at alarming (and IMO unnecessary) levels.

The point is people are doing whatever they can to enroll their kids in these schools even if it means they have to sell their blood. (An American idiom.)

Second of all I do not need to take an Arabic class. If you read the previous posts - you would know that I have learned Arabic. Without trying to speak at a level that would allow me to translate for the United Nations (which would take years of serious committment) I have exposed myself to as much Arabic as my little brain is going to be able to hold.

If you read above, you will see that I used Alif Baa and Al Kitaab to teach myself to read and write, used Pimsleur CD for conversational skills and to learn how to ask someone if they want a drink. I carry my copy of Lonely Planet Egyptian Arabic in my purse. And last but not least, I am married to an Egyptian man so I have a built in tutor/translator.

And this even started years before I even thought about moving to Egypt. The real reason I started to learn Arabic in 2005 was because I was working in an IHOP that was owned by an Egyptian with lots of Egyptians working as cooks. I got interested in the language from working with them.

As far as the 99.99% of Egyptians who speak English - you obviously don't understand sarcasm. But that's ok a high percentage (and I won't put a number on it) of Egyptians don't understand sarcasm either.

Like I said before, I live in MAADI. I go out by myself all the time within Maadi. I very rarely encounter someone who does not speak English. I also don't use taxis frequently. In the year I have been here I have only been inside a taxi like 10 times and 3 or them were with City Cab. (I'm sure you will jump all over me for that too, and say I need to use taxis in Egypt more [Big Grin] ). But if I need to I can give my address and directions in Arabic.

I understand what is being said in basic exchanges and know enough to get by when I have to.

Maybe the problem is I need to get out of Maadi more - not take an Arabic class.

Khalas. Mashi. Lazim yanni keda?

Clear and QSY
Member # 15597

Rate Member
I believe that CAC - Cairo American College has the highest enrollment of actual ex-pat children (as well as extremely wealthy Egyptians). That is where Mubarak's grandson was going. They have the highest tuition. But they have the best reputation. They are the only true International school in Egypt.

The others are simply Egyptian/Islamic schools that threw the word "INTERNATIONAL" into their name, hired a few foreign teachers, put a pool on the campus and charge outrageous fees. But the parents are eating it up.

They don't mind putting their 5 year old on a bus (which they pay extra for as well) at 6 am in Mohandiseen and have him commute all the way to the 26th Kilometer on Cairo Ismalia Road. A commute that can take 2 hours in the morning and up to 3 in the afternoon. Their kids are so exhausted they can barely keep their eyes open. They get to school starving but are denied to eat anything until the designated lunch time which is still 6 hours away. They do work from photocopies because there are no textbooks even though the parents have been charged extra for books. If there were any books they would be from 20 years ago. Then at 3 pm they get back on the bus for another stressful commute.

This is so hard on these kids. What's even harder is the age at which Egyptian students start school. KG1 is 3 years old. In the States there is pre-school but it is optional.

But the funny thing is even in all these (FOREIGN COUNTRY) International schools you will find only Egyptian students. I worked for a short time at a Canadian school as well. Not one Canadian.

Some of the schools are better than others and follow the curriculum from their host country or have certifications from it. And many of them take the hiring of teachers seriously, where they require teachers to hold certification in the host country.

But too many of them are just simply lavish buildings (built to impress no doubt) that throw the word International into their name - like Smart International School, for example. They hire a few blondes to make it look like they have foreign teachers. In reality they prefer to hire Egyptians so they can pay Egyptian teachers salaries instead of foreign. The entire administration changes at least once a year, sometimes more. The teaching staff changes frequently. Sometimes one class alone can go through two or three teachers in a 9 month period.

They compete with each other like crazy by running full page ads in magazines showing pictures of smiling happy children (they don't show the ones who have fallen asleep in class). But they are all in business for one thing. Making money. The education comes second.

* 7ayat *
Member # 7043

Rate Member
You know MOCS, I was actually going to respond to some of the points you raised about the Egyptian education and obsession with English etc. I was enjoying your post and was actually going to discuss some of the issues that you raised which I thought were important.

That is until, I got to the point where you said that 99% of Egyptians don't understand sarcasm and then I just changed my mind. That was an offensive remark, just like not needing to speak Arabic in an Arab country was an offensive remark, just like your obvious glee that Arabic will die was an offensive remark (and also incorrect, because with the poverty rates in Egypt there is no chance in hell the majority of Egyptians will be able to send their kids to these schools, regardless of how many are built). You are rude and arrogant. You look down on Egyptians and our culture and you have no clue what the hell you are talking about. The 99% remark was not sarcastic, you meant it. You only used sarcasm to cover your ignorance of our culture.

And what's up with the generalizations. 99% of Egyptians are this 99% of Egyptians are that. Did you meet every single Egyptian or what?

So talking to you is like talking to a bors on the wall, useless. If you don't feel the need to speak Arabic in Egypt, then bloody don't! And feel free to go teach somewhere else, a thousand Egyptian olas will be smashed after you!

Now honey, be very careful when you respond to this post because 99.99% of Egyptian women have a temper and do not give up until they've kicked idiots like you to the curb.

Now 99.99% salams!!!

Dzosser
Member # 9572

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dzosser   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mini is the British International School, Cairo not International ?
http://www.bisc.edu.eg/nschool/welcome.php

They have one annexed to the All Saints Cathedral in Zamalek. Hope its still there as I haven't strolled there for quite some time. [Wink]

Posts: 3219 | From: Wisdom comes with age, but sometimes age comes alone. | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Clear and QSY
Member # 15597

Rate Member
quote:
You know MOCS, I was actually going to respond to some of the points you raised about the Egyptian education and obsession with English etc. I was enjoying your post and was actually going to discuss some of the issues that you raised which I thought were important.

That is until, I got to the point where you said that 99% of Egyptians don't understand sarcasm and then I just changed my mind. That was an offensive remark, just like not needing to speak Arabic in an Arab country was an offensive remark, just like your obvious glee that Arabic will die was an offensive remark (and also incorrect, because with the poverty rates in Egypt there is no chance in hell the majority of Egyptians will be able to send their kids to these schools, regardless of how many are built). You are rude and arrogant. You look down on Egyptians and our culture and you have no clue what the hell you are talking about. The 99% remark was not sarcastic, you meant it. You only used sarcasm to cover your ignorance of our culture.

And what's up with the generalizations. 99% of Egyptians are this 99% of Egyptians are that. Did you meet every single Egyptian or what?

So talking to you is like talking to a bors on the wall, useless. If you don't feel the need to speak Arabic in Egypt, then bloody don't! And feel free to go teach somewhere else, a thousand Egyptian olas will be smashed after you!

Now honey, be very careful when you respond to this post because 99.99% of Egyptian women have a temper and do not give up until they've kicked idiots like you to the curb.

Now 99.99% salams!!!

See now you're starting to get it. [Wink]

Calm down, please you've got me all wrong. It's what happens when we have to read words someone has written without ever having spoken to them. We miss out on the expression and body language that goes along with what is being said as well as the intricate aspects of that person's personality that form and shape us.

Anyway. Please do not put words in my mouth. I am not expressing "glee" that Arabic will die out. I am simply stating an observation. Of course, I am addressing the segment of the population that has their children enrolled in schools in Cairo. I am not talking about the Delta region or upper Egypt, or even the poor areas of Cairo and Alex where obviously, there is a different way of life.

But what I'm talking about is what will happen generation after generation with the particular class of people who are sending their children to these schools. When these kids grow up they will either leave Egypt, or will in turn send their own kids to similar type schools and so on and so on. If this trend continues, a majority will communicate (and already do) with their parents in English at home as well instead of Arabic.

I asked my students that as an activity once. What language do you speak at home. Quite a few said English but they speak Arabic with their grandparents. Quite a few had lived outside of Egypt for a while though. They were all Egyptian but had spent time in the Gulf. I had one student (I taught 2nd grade) that had lived in Kuwait for years. His father came to me and said his son had been attending a British school in Kuwait and has never had one Arabic class. His son could not speak or write Arabic. The only thing this boy knew how to do in Arabic was pray.

Anyway, I'm not a teacher. I was one of those blondes that got hired by the school so they could claim to have foreigners. Of course, once I got on the inside I could see better what was going on and I did not like it. They were using me to exploit the Egyptian teachers and assistants. I had to keep my mouth shut while my assistant who was a certified teacher in Egypt made a salary of peanuts as an assistant and I (who does not even have a college degree) got to claim the title of class teacher.

I was miserable, but determined to try to finish out the year for the sake of the children who really liked me and I liked them. But I got fired after only a few months when an administrator who had also gotten fired leaked to the parents of my students that I had only a high school education and a TEFL certificate.

It was quite fine by me and that ended my 3 month teaching career

Yes, I know many Egyptians. I love Egypt. So much so that over the last year that my husband has been begging me to consider moving to Abu Dhabi I fight him tooth and nail every time.

I really can't see why you hold it against me the fact that so many people in Egypt can speak English, thus leaving me without the need to speak Arabic. How is this reflecting on me and suddenly making it that I am refusing to speak Arabic. Egyptians just happen to have more exposure to language in the education system that Americans do (English, French, German, etc. starting from a young age). Taking a foreign language in the States is an elective and not required and would not begin until grade 9 or above. The older you are when you begin to learn a language, the harder it is to learn.

Instead of turning me into the bad guy - you should be proud of all the working class Egyptians who speak English well enough to make my stay in Egypt enjoyable.

It is also not my fault that many jobs in Egypt are asking for fluency in English from its Egyptian applicants. Many job advertisements that I have seen don't even care if the person can speak Arabic - as long as they are fluent in English.

Clear and QSY
Member # 15597

Rate Member
quote:
Mini is the British International School, Cairo not International ?
http://www.bisc.edu.eg/nschool/welcome.php

They have one annexed to the All Saints Cathedral in Zamalek. Hope its still there as I haven't strolled there for quite some time. [Wink]

My husband has a friend who teaches for BISC. Actually not sure about the Zamalek location but I do know that they are now moved to a location in 6th of October. That is the one she teaches at.

The "fake" International schools I am talking about are the ones like: Smart International School, Futures International School, New Generations International School, New Horizon International School, etc. They are not associated with a particular curriculum of a particular foreign country. They just throw the word International behind some catchy name.

They do offer American diploma, or IGCSE and may follow AERO standards and other international standards. But they are not a true international school in the sense that they are for the children of ex-pats and extremely rich people. This is what the term "International School" used to mean when British and American schools began springing up in the 30's and 40's in foreign countries around the world.

The best school name I have seen in Egypt so far and the one that gets the prize is:

The Wiseness School

Wiseness [Eek!] LOL

Dzosser
Member # 9572

Rate Member
Mini, this was my school in the sixties [Big Grin] I graduated 1968..

http://www.esc-obog.org/index.htm

I'm told nothing English remains today. [Frown]

Clear and QSY
Member # 15597

Rate Member
quote:
Mini, this was my school in the sixties [Big Grin] I graduated 1968..

http://www.esc-obog.org/index.htm

I'm told nothing English remains today. [Frown]

You graduated the year after I was born.

You are probably right about that. Nothing remains the same, yet the more things change the more they stay the same. [Frown]

Here is a propaganda promotional video from my former place of employment:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sy0pYxUG8Bk

(Notice it states strong bi-lingual education. The kids had 45 minutes of Arabic per day. 90 minutes of English classes. And Math, Science and Social Studies all taught in ENGLISH. So how is that balanced? And rule #1 of the school is no speaking in Arabic except during Arabic class or during prayer time.)

Questionmarks
Member # 12336

Rate Member
quote:
I believe that CAC - Cairo American College has the highest enrollment of actual ex-pat children (as well as extremely wealthy Egyptians). That is where Mubarak's grandson was going. They have the highest tuition. But they have the best reputation. They are the only true International school in Egypt.

The others are simply Egyptian/Islamic schools that threw the word "INTERNATIONAL" into their name, hired a few foreign teachers, put a pool on the campus and charge outrageous fees. But the parents are eating it up.

They don't mind putting their 5 year old on a bus (which they pay extra for as well) at 6 am in Mohandiseen and have him commute all the way to the 26th Kilometer on Cairo Ismalia Road. A commute that can take 2 hours in the morning and up to 3 in the afternoon. Their kids are so exhausted they can barely keep their eyes open. They get to school starving but are denied to eat anything until the designated lunch time which is still 6 hours away. They do work from photocopies because there are no textbooks even though the parents have been charged extra for books. If there were any books they would be from 20 years ago. Then at 3 pm they get back on the bus for another stressful commute.

This is so hard on these kids. What's even harder is the age at which Egyptian students start school. KG1 is 3 years old. In the States there is pre-school but it is optional.

But the funny thing is even in all these (FOREIGN COUNTRY) International schools you will find only Egyptian students. I worked for a short time at a Canadian school as well. Not one Canadian.

Some of the schools are better than others and follow the curriculum from their host country or have certifications from it. And many of them take the hiring of teachers seriously, where they require teachers to hold certification in the host country.

But too many of them are just simply lavish buildings (built to impress no doubt) that throw the word International into their name - like Smart International School, for example. They hire a few blondes to make it look like they have foreign teachers. In reality they prefer to hire Egyptians so they can pay Egyptian teachers salaries instead of foreign. The entire administration changes at least once a year, sometimes more. The teaching staff changes frequently. Sometimes one class alone can go through two or three teachers in a 9 month period.

They compete with each other like crazy by running full page ads in magazines showing pictures of smiling happy children (they don't show the ones who have fallen asleep in class). But they are all in business for one thing. Making money. The education comes second.

It indeed is business, instead as a toll to develope a country. I think majority of the students is free to travel,and they will travel after finishing that particular school. My biggest objection against the international schools in Egypt is their level of luxuoury. Walls and floors covered with marble, expensive AC-systems, a theatre that is more luxuoury as a theatre in Cairo, a whole lot of female teachers looking like Barby, etc.etc.
The students compete each other in who is able to show the biggest wealth, they spend a normal month-salary only for their mobile, they are getting schooltrips that are more expensive as what a normal family can spend during a family-holiday, the fees are completely ridiculous, and more expensive as I know in my own country.
They all wear European or American clothes, and when something has been bought in Egypt, it's not good enough.
It's completely the opposite as what has been written in the topic about poverty and religion.
These are all teenagers, and they are, in fact, Egypts future. They are member of a group, and don't want to be different. When they get 16, they hire a hall and they invite 150 'friends'.
I don't know what is going to happen when these children finished study and start to work. Their salary will be a fraction of hwat they got as pocketmoney...

Clear and QSY
Member # 15597

Rate Member
It is true they are made to look very luxurious from the outside. Instead of the marble floors they should use that money to pay Egyptian teachers and staff (bus drivers, hall matrons) a decent salary instead of only paying foreigners more.
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com