EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Living in Egypt » Driving Licence in Egypt

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Driving Licence in Egypt
CB
Member # 16645

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CB     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have a UK driving licence. Does anyone know if I need to get an international driving licence to drive in Egypt? This may sound like a stupid question, but someone has just told me my UK licence will be enough.
Also, can this be sorted in the UK or in Egypt?
Thanks!

Posts: 24 | From: Egypt | Registered: May 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ford Prefect (not perfect)
Member # 9338

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ford Prefect (not perfect)   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
yes, no, maybe [Big Grin]

You'll probably be fine, but you could get the international one for insurance. You will get the international license in the same country you obtained your normal license.

I had an international one with me, but at most police checkpoints my passport and car registration card was good enough.

Posts: 409 | From: Betelgeuse | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GM44
Member # 13971

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for GM44     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
better get the international one (just in case!)
if you are catched for speeding, you can pay a fine of LE 150 right away. (doesn't matter 5 or more km's too fast!) Before, if you had an international driving license, the police would take the car license.

Posts: 264 | From: Egypt | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CB
Member # 16645

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CB     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank you!
Posts: 24 | From: Egypt | Registered: May 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rahala
Member # 16703

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rahala     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by CB:
I have a UK driving license. Does anyone know if I need to get an international driving license to drive in Egypt? This may sound like a stupid question, but someone has just told me my UK license will be enough.
Also, can this be sorted in the UK or in Egypt?
Thanks!

No,you must get an international driving license.
and believe me if you were the Michael Schumacher ,you would not be able to drive safely in Cairo streets [Smile]
I mean it.

Posts: 2417 | From: Cairo | Registered: Jun 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GM44
Member # 13971

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for GM44     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am driving in Cairo and to/in Hurgada. I am living in Egypt for 10 years, first started to drive in Hurghada, then in the evenings in Cairo. Since two years I live most of the year in Cairo and drive anywhere, I never had any accident in Egypt (al hamdu illah). My car has only the "Egyptian normal" damages: from parking and idiots scratching the car with keys etc.
BTW: I am from Holland

Posts: 264 | From: Egypt | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ausipeet
Member # 16653

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ausipeet     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
sorry but have to add my worthless five cents to this topic i coudnt resist...

You have to be frigging mad to want to drive in EGYPT Let alone Cairo. i seen with my own eyes the sheer madness that is Cairo drivers six cars across on a three lane highway and no one giving way to anyone yet every one gets to wher they want to get to and then the pedestriens??????? every time you take a step out of your front door you place your live in the hands of the drivers there.
So why in tarnation would you want to go to Cairo and Drive do the right thing be safe and let the Taxi drivers earn thier money.
As for an international Licence YES you will need one after years away from your home country you will not be covered by insurance and such so get your international license and pray to your god that you make it thru the two months you are there.

Ausipeet a egyptian by heart.
Insha'Allah

Posts: 121 | From: Adelaide, South Australia | Registered: May 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rahala
Member # 16703

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rahala     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by GM44:
I am driving in Cairo and to/in Hurgada. I am living in Egypt for 10 years, first started to drive in Hurghada, then in the evenings in Cairo. Since two years I live most of the year in Cairo and drive anywhere, I never had any accident in Egypt (al hamdu illah). My car has only the "Egyptian normal" damages: from parking and idiots scratching the car with keys etc.
BTW: I am from Holland

Do you like driving in Cairo or is it driving you nuts?
Posts: 2417 | From: Cairo | Registered: Jun 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GM44
Member # 13971

Rate Member
I don't like to drive in Cairo, I am always glad when I am on the Sokhna road! But I can handle!
But what I hate most that a lot of drivers (driving on the most right lane) "suddenly" decide that they have to take this U-turn, all the other cars have to stop because of them! Think ahead is not in their mind at all!

Thebaroudeur
Member # 16715

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Thebaroudeur     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I can drive but never bothered to pass a test. Next September I am in Egypt to study Arabic. will it be possible for me to pass my driving licence in Cairo?
I am a French citizen.

Posts: 2 | From: London | Registered: Jun 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rahala
Member # 16703

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by Thebaroudeur:
I can drive but never bothered to pass a test. Next September I am in Egypt to study Arabic. will it be possible for me to pass my driving licence in Cairo?
I am a French citizen.

if you do not bother ,so why do you to ask? [Smile]
Thebaroudeur
Member # 16715

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Thebaroudeur     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I can drive but never had the time and/or money to pass a test.

Next September I am in Egypt to learn Arabic. Will it be possible for me to pass my driving licence in Cairo? I am a French citizen.

Posts: 2 | From: London | Registered: Jun 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GM44
Member # 13971

Rate Member
I think, with the help of an Egyptian, it is possible. Do you have your french driving licence?
Then it is much easier. (at least that was it for me, 10 years ago, my husband was with me, just a little round on the police terrain and because I had already a Dutch licence I didn't have to do the written exam)

Rahala
Member # 16703

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by Thebaroudeur:
I can drive but never had the time and/or money to pass a test.

Next September I am in Egypt to learn Arabic. Will it be possible for me to pass my driving licence in Cairo? I am a French citizen.

OK! [Smile]
you are coming to Egypt in the rush Hour!
It is summer all people will be out there to have their driving license too,
so you will have to wait in these rows that looks like snakes [Wink] .
If you have some extra free time ,go do it!
or just do the exam in your country .
If i were you I would have it in my country,what makes me do it in this weather(weather forecasting this year says it will not be less than 38 at best expectations).
If you are going to the local driving license read the lines below.
You can not do the test every day.
it is only one day every week(I guess it is tuesday)and If you fail????
If you fail you have to wait the so called waiting period(which 3 monthes),fail again ,you go to the black list and wait 1 year.
So better get an international driving license in your country.
Or wait in the snake rows in Egypt.
To be completely frank,it may be your lucky day and find your self the only one going to take it that day(it happens!)or find little people taking the exam(This will probably happen in 25/8 because of Ramadan)All people will be fasting and will not be able to go out in this hot weather.
does this answers the question??

CB
Member # 16645

quote:
Originally posted by Ausipeet:
sorry but have to add my worthless five cents to this topic i coudnt resist...

You have to be frigging mad to want to drive in EGYPT Let alone Cairo. i seen with my own eyes the sheer madness that is Cairo drivers six cars across on a three lane highway and no one giving way to anyone yet every one gets to wher they want to get to and then the pedestriens??????? every time you take a step out of your front door you place your live in the hands of the drivers there.
So why in tarnation would you want to go to Cairo and Drive do the right thing be safe and let the Taxi drivers earn thier money.
As for an international Licence YES you will need one after years away from your home country you will not be covered by insurance and such so get your international license and pray to your god that you make it thru the two months you are there.

Ausipeet a egyptian by heart.
Insha'Allah

Ausipeet, your five cents is certainly not worthless! I spent sometime lost in Cairo, and when the search party found me, I had to run across many a crazy road, so I know there is no way I would ever drive there! Apart from which I am completely useless with direction, and still manage to get lost in my home town! But I am not going to Cairo, and probably will only drive occasionally, in much quieter areas. I just like to be prepared!! But, thank you for the advice, and I will now get an international licence before I get to where I am going.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com