EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Living in Egypt » Excess Baggage

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Excess Baggage
Shygirl
Member # 16693

Rate Member
Icon 5 posted      Profile for Shygirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hello, I was wondering if there was anyone who has moved from the UK to Egypt that can give advice. When I move in August I am only taking 2or 3 suitcases with me. Ideally I don't want the hassle of customs etc and shipping just for 1 or 2 suitcases, so I plan to take it with me and pay excess baggage.

looking at the charges for excess baggage the average seems to be £15 per kg. Does anyone have any advice on how to get around this or lower the charges? or is there a better way?

Thank you!

Posts: 17 | From: Cairo | Registered: Jun 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ausipeet
Member # 16653

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ausipeet     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
yes ship your stuff over as cargo with a airline freight company would work out cheaper per kilo
Posts: 121 | From: Adelaide, South Australia | Registered: May 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MJ
Member # 16726

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for MJ     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Does this work from the US too? My charge per bag over 2, is $50 as long as its under 50 lbs. Somehow, I think I will stick with excess baggage?
Posts: 46 | From: Hurghada | Registered: Jun 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LovedOne
Member # 10222

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LovedOne     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When I flew from the States to Cairo in March, I flew on Air France. I ended up bringing 4 bags, while the allowance was only for 2 bags.
They ended up charging me $150 each for the 2 extra bags.
The lady at the check in counter told me it would have been cheaper to go overweight as there is just a 50 dollar charge per bag for overweight, as compared to a whole new bag. However, that wouldn't have worked as the bags were quite packed and full as it was.
But, if you can manage it, it sounds like going over weight is the better way to go than extra bags.

Just be sure to check with the airline you're flying with, as it varies from airline to airline.

Posts: 1283 | From: Cairo | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MJ
Member # 16726

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for MJ     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mine were already overweight, lol.. funny thing, they didnt charge me for it, even though they were supposed to. Marked the bags as elite flyer. That started on Continental.. via Air France.. then Egypt Air.
Posts: 46 | From: Hurghada | Registered: Jun 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shygirl
Member # 16693

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Shygirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for all your suggestions, looks like I will have to wait to find out what airline i'm going with (my employer is getting the tickets)
Posts: 17 | From: Cairo | Registered: Jun 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ayisha
Member # 4713

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ayisha     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
shygirl even if you dont fly egyptair you can have your stuff taken as freight. It is 1 GBP per kg and after every tax is charged it works out at 2 GBP a kg. tax is charged when you pick it up but its not a lot.

You have to get your stuff to Heathrow though. Terminal 4, World Cargo Centre, Sandringham rd. 0208 7591311 egyptair freight

--------------------
If you don't learn from your mistakes, there's no sense making them.

Posts: 15090 | From: http://www.egyptalk.com/forum/ | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shygirl
Member # 16693

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Shygirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank you for the information, thats helpful, I will be flying from heathrow, not much to take really just 2 or 3 suitcases.
advocate
Member # 13367

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for advocate     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you fly from Cardiff with KLM you can take 2 suitcases with you at no extra charge.
Posts: 1917 | From: WALES | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shygirl
Member # 16693

Rate Member
Ahh thats great!! it is only a few minutes away, I will ask my employers to choose that aiport/airline if possible. Thank you!
aisha24
Member # 13800

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for aisha24   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Shy Girl.. well I have moved my bags and boxes from the UK twice now and can honestly say it was not a great experience. The first time 5 years ago I had 10 boxes flown from Heathrow to Hurghada. However they never went to Hurghada but Cairo as at the time they had no customs in Hurghada not sure about now any way a long story cut short .. they took 6 weeks to get to me as I was not informed they had arrived , Cairo tried to charge me for the 5 weeks storage.. customs and Taxes were extortionate despite having Egyptian contacts helping with this and then they stole many items from the boxes mainly used house hold electricals and then had the nerve to charge taxes on these. All boxes were torn aqppart items including clothing and linen just thrown on the filthy floor whilst boxes inspected then all stuffed back in torn boxes willy nilly breaking or damaging large amount of items.
The story is long and complicated..and very stressful.Also it is not just a one off many residence here have experienced this kind of treatment.

Anyway having been through this once I stupidly thought that things would have improved in 5 years I was wrong.. having searched for a reputable removal company I engaged a company that was as it turned out totally unscruplious 10 boxes arrived a week late despite my husband ( Who is Egyptian)flying into Cairo and waiting there in a hotel for this time as we live in Hurghada.
Paper work was not complete from UK end so further running around Cairo, more money paid out for translations and stamps.
My husband was present this time at customs when all boxes were emptied and inspected ..this time we packed no electrical items at all. just normal household bits and bobs and used clothes, and books.
Taxes and custom duties total was about 25 sterling in all.

Ok so the moral is as far as myself and quite few other Brits I have met is never send them via a company. Take what you can as excess baggage. Do not take any electricals they will either be damaged or if you are caught at the airport you will pay a large fine . Its cheaper to buy your electricals here .
Also if you do bring in lots of clothes ensure that all tags are cut of if new as they can charge you up to 100% tax as they will say they are for re sale.
I personally wash all new clothes also even if if they have not been worn.
Any wooden items could be conviscated as the customs people will say that they can harbour infestations!!!

Sorry its a bit doom and gloom but beleive me I learnt the hard way ..take any personal items that have sentimental value and buy the rest in Egypt.You can always leave things behind with familly and freinds and ask them to bring bits out at a time for you when they visit.
You will save yourself a lot of grief.

Posts: 14 | From: hurghada | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MJ
Member # 16726

Rate Member
Thanks from me too for this info aisha24.
Shygirl
Member # 16693

Rate Member
Thanks for this, VERY helpful, I was worried how my belongings would arrive after shipping
aisha24
Member # 13800

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for aisha24   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi everyone its no problem glad to be of any help if anyone needs any further help like this please feel free to ask.
Posts: 14 | From: hurghada | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ayisha
Member # 4713

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ayisha     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i have used freight 3 times and 2 of my friends have also. there has never been anything missing or stolen and no boxes or suitcases had been opened either until i got there to pick it all up. in over 10 boxes and over 5 suitcases i have only had 1 picture glass broken, down to my packing! each time i paid approx 260le this end in taxes. Egyptair I can fully recommend for freight and its easier to freight it to Luxor for Hurghada than it is to freight it to cairo. From Luxor it can be taken by car to Hurghada. You do NOT need to use a company to do this for you, just turn up at Heathrow and drop it into the egyptair cargo office, its dead simple!

edited to add: Freight flight is only Mondays (to Luxor) you can drop off your things on the sunday for the monday flight and pick it up 2 days after it arrives.

Posts: 15090 | From: http://www.egyptalk.com/forum/ | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Curious Woman
Member # 16722

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Curious Woman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Don´t take it with you in the plane, from Cairo to Lisbon I payed 91 EGP for each kg.I had 20 kg excess so, it means 1820 Egp, about 250 Euros, for a simple bag...
Posts: 10 | From: Portugal | Registered: Jun 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Curious Woman
Member # 16722

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Curious Woman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I forgot to say, the company was Egypt Air...
Posts: 10 | From: Portugal | Registered: Jun 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aisha24
Member # 13800

Rate Member
Hi Ayisha .. just out of interest how much did egypt air charge and how long ago was this.
Did you have any truoble with road checks by police when boxes wher transported from Luxor to Hurghada?
Do you have too book with Egypt air cargo office in advance or can you literaly just turn up with boxes?
It seems that I was very unlucky on both occassions if I had only known about this route !!!

Ayisha
Member # 4713

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by aisha24:
Hi Ayisha .. just out of interest how much did egypt air charge and how long ago was this.
Did you have any truoble with road checks by police when boxes wher transported from Luxor to Hurghada?
Do you have too book with Egypt air cargo office in advance or can you literaly just turn up with boxes?
It seems that I was very unlucky on both occassions if I had only known about this route !!!

Egyptair charge 1 GBP (sorry got no stirling pound sign) per kg plus so much for insurance, war risk and God knows what else. For 147 kg the first time it cost me about 280 GBP or something like that, second time I think was 90kg and it was around 200 GBP, cant remember how much i brought last time though maybe about 70-80 kg. If you call the number they will tell you all over the phone. This end (Luxor) I paid about 260le in taxes or charges plus 7le to this man and 10 le to that man for dunno what, stamps or something! never had any problems. You dont have to book heathrow end. Turn up any day but sat and sun they are on min staff but i have never been there longer than 45 mins. Luxor end get there before 10.30am as that does take a few hours. I havent had to take stuff to hurghada though as i live in luxor. [Big Grin]
Member # 11766

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ..     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Fly Business Class with BA, allowance is 3 and if your a frequent flyer you can get away with 4 and a golf bag.

I have had a few CD's taken when using air freight but was hellish the time I used the sea route, arriving at Port Said.
They try to charge you crazy taxes there.
Know someone who decided to take a hammer to their flat screens.

Posts: 854 | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LiveItUp
Member # 4811

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for LiveItUp     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What about coming from USA to EGypt..Egypt Air said $115.00 per extra luggage doesn't matter how many. ?
Should I do Egypt Air Air Frieght instead to Cairo? I know I was planning to pay for 4 extra luggage at $115.00 USD not to mention overstuff price of each bag. To me I thought it turned out cheaper than shipping estimated at $800 or more (300 pounds) shipping sea that's not with customs and txs in Egypt. I'd rather not worry about the custom/taxes, damages/losses and hassle..Can't you put your childs' electronic games in backpacks and carry on's for them to play with in airport and long plane ride? I'd think so. PS2 in carry ons/used?

Posts: 395 | From: Whereever I go | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com