EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Living in Egypt » Baby nickname!!! (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Baby nickname!!!
Avali
Member # 14242

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Avali     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey there!

I need advice in finding a good nickname for Yassin (beside Yasso please,coz i really cant stand that one).

Thanks.

K

Posts: 76 | From: Cairo | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
_
Member # 3567

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for _     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
'Jazz'

You had a baby?? If so CONGRATS!! [Smile]

Posts: 30135 | From: The owner of this website killed ES....... | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
messenger
Member # 15059

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for messenger         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Avali:
Hey there!

I need advice in finding a good nickname for Yassin (beside Yasso please,coz i really cant stand that one).

Thanks.

K

It is Yaseen not Yassin. I don't understand why people, inclduing most if not all Egyptians, misspell names. Yasmeen not Yasmin, Sameer not Samir, Abelhameed not Abdelhamid and so on.

Yaseen is a beautiful name by itself and light on the tongue as it is. I also know if people with nick names that is not derived from the name itself.

Posts: 406 | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
messenger
Member # 15059

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for messenger         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I got it....... Sinsin
Posts: 406 | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
egyptian7
Member # 12215

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for egyptian7     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sisso

--------------------
islam

Posts: 2447 | From: cairo | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lucky Luciano
Member # 16737

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lucky Luciano     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
I also know if people with nick names that is not derived from the name itself.

Yea like "Dick" for "Richard", this sh!t is beyond me!
"Sino" sounds good

Posts: 380 | From: USA | Registered: Jun 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aisha24
Member # 13800

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for aisha24   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi all just to ask is this child muslim.. if he is then the use of nicknames I beleive is forbidden in the Quran....
Posts: 14 | From: hurghada | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Questionmarks
Member # 12336

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Questionmarks     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Can't imagine that...most people are having names in another way as their official name is. Mido= Mohamed, Aezz = Ahmed, etc.

--------------------
“Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing, there is a field. I will meet you there.”

Posts: 7202 | From: EU | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
*Dalia*
Member # 13012

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for *Dalia*     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by aisha24:
Hi all just to ask is this child muslim.. if he is then the use of nicknames I beleive is forbidden in the Quran....

No, it's not. Those who claim it is refer to 49:11, but that verse speaks about calling people bad names, nothing to do with nicknames at all.

O you who believe, let not a people ridicule other people, for they may be better than they. Nor shall any women ridicule other women, for they may be better than they. Nor shall you mock one another, or call each other names. Evil indeed is the reversion to wickedness after attaining faith. And anyone who does not repent, then these are the transgressors.

I'm curious -- why would the baby need a nickname at all? Is there something wrong with calling him with his real name?

quote:
Originally posted by current:

It is Yaseen not Yassin. I don't understand why people, inclduing most if not all Egyptians, misspell names. Yasmeen not Yasmin, Sameer not Samir, Abelhameed not Abdelhamid and so on.

It depends on the language you are using to transcribe those names. For a German, for example, it makes perfect sense to spell those names with an "i". So if your name is Karim, for example, and you get a German passport, it would never be spelt "Kareem" in there.

I prefer it that way because for some reason I don't like how the double "e" looks in a name. [Embarrassed]

Posts: 2803 | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
*Dalia*
Member # 13012

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for *Dalia*     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Questionmarks:
Can't imagine that...most people are having names in another way as their official name is. Mido= Mohamed, Aezz = Ahmed, etc.

Pussy (for Buthayna) is also quite popular. [Roll Eyes]
Posts: 2803 | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
* 7ayat *
Member # 7043

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for * 7ayat *     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
quote:
Hey there!

Thanks.

K

Yaseen is a beautiful name by itself and light on the tongue as it is. I also know if people with nick names that is not derived from the name itself.

She didn't misspell the name. In Arabic we have one spelling pretty much for everything. But when you convert it to English you can spell it any way you want. Why do you think that Yaseen is right and Yasin is wrong? According to who?

My name is Yasmine and I prefer that spelling. But the other girls I know with the same name spell it in different ways. But in Arabic, we all spell it exactly the same way.

But again, just out of curiosity, where did you get the idea that Yaseen is the correct spelling?

Posts: 4446 | From: Egyptian in Sydney | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
* 7ayat *
Member # 7043

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for * 7ayat *     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
quote:
Hey there!

Thanks.

K

She didn't misspell the name. In Arabic we have one spelling pretty much for everything. But when you convert it to English you can spell it any way you want. Why do you think that Yaseen is right and Yasin is wrong? According to who?

My name is Yasmine and I prefer that spelling. But the other girls I know with the same name spell it in different ways. But in Arabic, we all spell it exactly the same way.

But again, just out of curiosity, where did you get the idea that Yaseen is the correct spelling?

Posts: 4446 | From: Egyptian in Sydney | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elegantly Wasted
Member # 8386

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Elegantly Wasted     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree. Yasin isn't a long or difficult name, why the need for a nickname? I don't get the need to give everyone a nickname. This seems really common in Egypt.

Originally posted by *Dalia*:

I'm curious -- why would the baby need a nickname at all? Is there something wrong with calling him with his real name?

Posts: 2735 | From: my desk | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dubai Girl
Member # 15488

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dubai Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A lot of people in my husband's family have nicknames and his grandma's name is Busayna but she gets called Amina...there's no link between the names and even she doesn't know why this is

He calls me by a nickname and we recently got a dog named Daisy and he calls her Disu....definitely an Egyptian thing! I just stick to the normal names... [Smile]

Posts: 500 | From: United Arab Emirates | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elegantly Wasted
Member # 8386

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Elegantly Wasted     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When I think about it, it's not only Egyptians but also Arabs in general give nicknames that don't necessarily match the person's name. My husband calls my son "Zuzu" because his name starts with a "Z". The boy's name is 4 letters long, no need for a nickname. I get called "Kooky" on occasion because my name begins with a "K" (my name consists of only 4 letters as well). I don't think he actually knows the definition of kooky. Or maybe he does. [Big Grin]
Posts: 2735 | From: my desk | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Supercalafragalistic
Member # 15631

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Supercalafragalistic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Surely a nickname can be whatever you want it to be??????

my mum calls me loola bell....

my mate calls me L J Porker :S

Posts: 1248 | From: my sex is on fire!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cheekyferret
Member # 15263

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cheekyferret     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The nicks my friends have

Razan - Reezle or Fulla
Eyad - Cookie
Yusuf - yo yo or Yuppie
Yehia - Cookie man
Abd el Rahman - Vega
Zyad - Zeezle
Abd el Rahman - Boudy

Some of these are like anywhere else globally and not related to a derivative their name can come to... Fulla for e.g. is an affectionate term as she is beauiful!

My Nicks are Nik (when misheard in Arabic is a bad word) Cheeky or Ferret [Big Grin]

Loola bell is nice.

Posts: 11097 | From: Cairo | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
messenger
Member # 15059

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by * 7ayat *:
quote:
quote:
Hey there!

Thanks.

K

The way it is read in English. How would a person who is not familiar with the name read it?
The "i" in Yasin is read as in "Carmin" which would be wrong. We need the reader to read it like the "ee" in "Steel" which would be correct.
Which means your name as you spell it will result in people pronouncing it the wrong way. It will be pronounce as Jasmine, which is not your name.
And all that is according to me and I am correct.

Supercalafragalistic
Member # 15631

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Supercalafragalistic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
lol

surely you can spell your name however you want to?? If people pronounce it wrong just correct them. End of.

I've spelt my daughters name wrong, and i don't care cause I prefer it the way I spelt it.

Posts: 1248 | From: my sex is on fire!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
messenger
Member # 15059

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by Lumpy butt:
lol

surely you can spell your name however you want to?? If people pronounce it wrong just correct them. End of.

I've spelt my daughters name wrong, and i don't care cause I prefer it the way I spelt it.

You can do just about anything however you want to, but that's not the point. We write our names so that they are pronounced the way they "should". If we really don't care then we can right "Yasmeen" as "als;djfaldjsf".
Supercalafragalistic
Member # 15631

whatever, you're right, i'm wrong blah blah blah..
tina m
Member # 13845

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for tina m     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
whatever, you're right, i'm wrong blah blah blah..

u like the blah blah blah huh?
Posts: 9776 | From: You like If only mosquitoes sucked fat instead of blood. | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Supercalafragalistic
Member # 15631

lol for sure.... couldn't be arsed to argue
* 7ayat *
Member # 7043

Rate Member
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
Hey there!

Thanks.

K

The way it is read in English. How would a person who is not familiar with the name read it?
The "i" in Yasin is read as in "Carmin" which would be wrong. correct.

To you it is wrong, to me it is perfectly right. There are many names in English where the I is pronounded like ee for example, Steven, the first e is pronounded I. So as I said there is no wrong or right. And at the end of the day, you can always correct people [Smile]
* 7ayat *
Member # 7043

Rate Member
quote:
lol

I am sure you spelt your name daughter's name perfectly right. Don't worry about Current, she's making an issue out of nothing [Smile]
messenger
Member # 15059

Rate Member
quote:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Lumpy butt:
[qb] she's making an issue out of nothing [Smile]

He's.......

Or is that also written however we like?

cloudberry
Member # 11163

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cloudberry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
You can do just about anything however you want to, but that's not the point. We write our names so that they are pronounced the way they "should". If we really don't care then we can right "Yasmeen" as "als;djfaldjsf".

Who are we? ("We write our names...")

I've noticed here in Egypt that there are many ways that my hubby's and son's name could be written. And each time, it IS written differently [Big Grin] (except on official papers of course, like passport, ID). So it seems Egyptians do not care THAT much how names are written.

When getting a birth certificate you can choose how the name is written. In Finland it makes a big difference whether you use "i", "y" or "i", "e" and so on. Yasmin and Yasmeen are totally different (and actually it would be Jasmin, with short "i").

Posts: 758 | From: Finland | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
* 7ayat *
Member # 7043

Rate Member
quote:
quote:

He's.......

Perhaps you should follow the advice you sent me in the PM and go to the gym. You are making a big deal out of nothing. There is no wrong or write way of spelling a name, especially an Arabic one that is being converted. How about John, the h is not even pronounced, does that make it wrong? Nope.
messenger
Member # 15059

Rate Member
quote:
quote:
quote:

He's.......

Perhaps you should follow the advice you sent me in the PM and go to the gym. You are making a big deal out of nothing. There is no wrong or write way of spelling a name, especially an Arabic one that is being converted. How about John, the h is not even pronounced, does that make it wrong? Nope.
Are aware of how in coherent you are? I'm actually quite surprised that you are arguing something so self explanatory. John is and English name if we were to use it as an example we would have to reverse the situation and think of how we would write it in Arabic so that the people who are not familiar with the name are able to pronounce it properly. In that case it would be idiotic to include the "h" in the spelling because it should not be pronounced. No go to the gym lady and and think about what all the nonsense you've been writing. Shame on you...
ExptinCAI
Member # 1439

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ExptinCAI     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

He's.......

Are aware of how in coherent you are? I'm actually quite surprised that you are arguing something so self explanatory. John is and English name if we were to use it as an example we would have to reverse the situation and think of how we would write it in Arabic so that the people who are not familiar with the name are able to pronounce it properly. In that case it would be idiotic to include the "h" in the spelling because it should not be pronounced. No go to the gym lady and and think about what all the nonsense you've been writing. Shame on you...
Your theory rests on the assumption that anyone who reads the roman alphabet must be speaking english, which is pretty ignorant.

While to YOU it "Yaseen" reads "Yassin" to other non-english speakers "Yaseen" reads like it's written "iiii-as-een". So the reason why people who are translating from arabic to roman alphabet "can't" be wrong, is because they encounter lots of speakers of lots of different languages, all of whom read the roman alphabet in a different way.

idiot. oh, and some non-english speakers will also pronounce "john" like it's written "J" (as in Yaaay) "OHAN"...or Johan, in other countries.

Posts: 2182 | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
messenger
Member # 15059

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by ExptinCAI:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

He's.......

Your theory rests on the assumption that anyone who reads the roman alphabet must be speaking english, which is pretty ignorant.

While to YOU it "Yaseen" reads "Yassin" to other non-english speakers "Yaseen" reads like it's written "iiii-as-een". So the reason why people who are translating from arabic to roman alphabet "can't" be wrong, is because they encounter lots of speakers of lots of different languages, all of whom read the roman alphabet in a different way.

idiot. oh, and some non-english speakers will also pronounce "john" like it's written "J" (as in Yaaay) "OHAN"...or Johan, in other countries.

[Big Grin] Welcome, welcome.

Spewing garbage as usual. You wacko, Yasin can be mispronounced but Yaseen can NOT. That is the whole idea you moron. And this is not a theory, it is fucking reality you idiot. It is amazing, you people are dumber than ****. If someone's name is pronounced as "Yohan" then it would be unfucking believable stupid of him to write it without the "H" (in arabic that is), because that's how it should be pronounce you dumb ****, with the H and of course he will have to account for the "J" too being pronounce as "Y" [Roll Eyes]

Now wasn't that fun [Razz]

You know I knew I would draw this kind of reaction. Though I was only after 7ayat I'm pleased to see morons like you came out and display their stupidity. The language and the tone of my posts influenced your replies and caused you to loose however little sense you may have had. Best of luck ..........wacko [Big Grin]

Supercalafragalistic
Member # 15631

So how would you write the name أميرة ? i've seen 4 spellings. Which one, in your opinion, is correct and I'll change my daughters birth certificate just because you are all knowing.
ExptinCAI
Member # 1439

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ExptinCAI     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
[Big Grin] Welcome, welcome.

Spewing garbage as usual. You wacko, Yasin can be mispronounced but Yaseen can NOT. That is the whole idea you moron. And this is not a theory, it is fucking reality you idiot. It is amazing, you people are dumber than ****. If someone's name is pronounced as "Yohan" then it would be unfucking believable stupid of him to write it without the "H" (in arabic that is), because that's how it should be pronounce you dumb ****, with the H and of course he will have to account for the "J" too being pronounce as "Y" [Roll Eyes]

Now wasn't that fun [Razz]

You know I knew I would draw this kind of reaction. Though I was only after 7ayat I'm pleased to see morons like you came out and display their stupidity. The language and the tone of my posts influenced your replies and caused you to loose however little sense you may have had. Best of luck ..........wacko [Big Grin] [/QB]

LOL, right, Yaseen cannot be mispronounced. By whom? Speaking what language? Because unlike English, some would try to sound it out as it's written. I (not "ai, but iiii") A (as in aaah) Seen (as english people would pronounce the Seine, the river).

And, *chuckle* "loose"?

Posts: 2182 | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
*Dalia*
Member # 13012

Member Rated:
quote:
So how would you write the name أميرة ?

I would write it Amira.
current would probably suggest Ameera. [Big Grin]
Some might spell it Amirah or Ameerah.

[Wink]

Ramses nemesis
Member # 4125

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ramses nemesis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
LOL, right, Yaseen cannot be mispronounced. By whom? Speaking what language? Because unlike English, some would try to sound it out as it's written. I (not "ai, but iiii") A (as in aaah) Seen (as english people would pronounce the Seine, the river).

And, *chuckle* "loose"?

I do agree with you, the English language has a really odd way for spelling, unlike for example Arabic which is phonetically based, that's why it is difficult to make spelling mistakes in Arabic (with some exceptions). I believe somebody in the 19th century suggested a new English spelling based on phonetics, if I remember correctly, the bugger's name was Pitman, but don't quote me on that!

Here are some examples of completely mind boggling English spelling:

Though vs Thought - adding one letter at the end, changes the sound at the begining!!!
Tough vs Though - adding one letter towards the begining, changes the sound at the end!!
Threw vs Through - same sound, different spelling
(similarly with Stephen vs Steven, Phil vs Fill, etc)
Bow (as in bend forward) vs Bow (as in archery) - same spelling, different sounds
Prophet vs profit, etc, etc, etc
I'm sure there are many examples with shxx vs chxx, cxxx vs kxxx, etc

No sense at all, no wonder those learning English - including English children - always have problems with spelling.

Then there the mystery of the "s" in grammer. This I could never fathom. In nouns "s" comes with the plural, whilst in verbs it comes with the singlur (third person). For example

she wants handbags
they want handbags

It is much more logical and makes more sense to have the "s" with the plural both ways, so the example above would become

she want handbags
they wants hadbags

voila!!!
I'm not joking by the way, I'm really serious, just because you're used to it doesn't make it in any way sensible.

Ramses nemesis
(or should this be Ramssess nemessiss, or Ramsis nemeses, or ...hmmm, tell you what, forget it!!!)

Posts: 444 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
* 7ayat *
Member # 7043

Rate Member
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

He's.......

It is not ignorant. Oh my people are taking this silly argument way too seriously lol

Let me give you an example. My name is yasmine. Most people who meet me don't see my name in print, but rather I say it to them. So it is hi my name is yasmine ok? And of course I pronounce it the Arabic way. But then instead of following my pronounciation, they would usually start saying it the way Jasmine sounds in Englsh but just replace the J with a Y, despite what I just told them. So people will do what they want to do. And as I said, the I in the end, could easily be interpreted as an E. Besdies most non-Arabs for some reason pronounce the s in my name as a Z, so it becaomes Yazmine. Should we change the s too?

Everyone should spell their names any way they want I reckon

Cheekyferret
Member # 15263

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cheekyferret     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
NO Egyptian can pronounce my name properly and most have actually changed it to a completely different name!

And the way they spell it is a freaking mystery... I have never known so many Ks and Hs'... [Wink]

And my last point is my name is pronounced differently in Ireland than it is in England... over time it has been bastardised by the English. Shite happens.

Just like the Americans bastardised the English language [Wink]

Examine the words enough, cough, bough and ought.. trust me, teaching English is a pleasurable experience [Big Grin]

*runs to get a tin hat*

Posts: 11097 | From: Cairo | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dzosser
Member # 9572

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dzosser   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yacine is Algerian for Egyptian Yassin. [Frown]
Posts: 3219 | From: Wisdom comes with age, but sometimes age comes alone. | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cheekyferret
Member # 15263

Rate Member
I work with Egyptians who alternate the spelling between Yassin and Yassen in the same sentence referring to the same child!!! Continually... it is still pronounced the same. A gnat could fathom that out!

Any folk read Mother Tongue? Great read if people are actually interested in the evolution of language and not just here to see who has the biggest stick up their ass [Big Grin]

Ramses nemesis
Member # 4125

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ramses nemesis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Lady Ferret:

Any folk read Mother Tongue? Great read if people are actually interested in the evolution of language and not just here to see who has the biggest stick up their ass [Big Grin]

That was most certainly not my intention, my apologies to anybody who found my post offensive [Confused]
I was merely re-iterating the point made earlier about words not necessarily sounding the way they are written. And that's within the same language, let alone people who use the same letters in a different language.

Talking about the Irish, I love the Irish Ceilidh (actually took part in it a couple of times, really brilliant) but couldn't understand how could this possibly be pronounced as Kiley!!
You're right, it's probably the English with their ruining everything about their neighbours [Wink] .
Pronouncing the Welsh language in English is another nightmare, lol

Peace

Posts: 444 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cheekyferret
Member # 15263

Rate Member
Ramesis, my stick and ass remark was not aimed at you.. your post was the most interesting for me... you made some very good points. oops and sorry for my venting.

I love the origin of words and the evolution of language... and I do enjoy looking at inconsistencies in 'rules'. They intrigue me... I am a geek at heart when it comes to the English language.

When I went to Ireland I was laughed at for pronouncing my name differently, amazingly piss off sounded ok [Wink]

I think after only one day of returning I am already fed up of the folk who know it better and slam others on their way when in reality their only second language is bullshit [Big Grin]

As for the Welsh... well [Wink] flipping mystery.

Cheekyferret
Member # 15263

Rate Member
And as for the name Siobhan! lol..

IF anyone knows the game Countdown... I would love to be Suzie in dictionary corner!!!

Ramses nemesis
Member # 4125

Rate Member
quote:

I love the origin of words and the evolution of language... and I do enjoy looking at inconsistencies in 'rules'. They intrigue me... I am a geek at heart when it comes to the English language.

As for the Welsh... well [Wink] flipping mystery.

Yep, I used to have a lot of interest in etymology in the past. Many English words have origins in Latin, French, Celtic, maybe even Nordic, depending on who was occupying the land at the time. Some words even have Arabic origins!

As for the Welsh, yep you're right, a mystery, well to the non-Welsh I suppose, lol (to keep with the spirit of this thread. We don't want to be too judgemental now, do we?)

Plaid Cymru, the national Welsh party, is pronounced Plide Kamry!! The Welsh are happy nowadays because their language has been recognised by the EU as an official language.
Good for them, any bilingual (Welsh/other EU language) speakers here can apply for a translator job, a lot of those will be needed soon. I remember a few years ago there was a shortage of translators from Polish to Maltese!!
(no, that's not the sweet, that's a language [Smile] )

Ramses nemesis
Member # 4125

Rate Member
quote:
And as for the name Siobhan! lol..

IF anyone knows the game Countdown... I would love to be Suzie in dictionary corner!!!

That's Shivon, right? a Celtic name.
Now my turn, how about Aisling?

Who's suzy, is she the wooden broomstick that took Carol Vorderman's place? [Big Grin]

Cheekyferret
Member # 15263

Rate Member
Shufty and hasheesh are the first two that come to mind.. oh and nik off, the Australian term [Wink] I also love derivatives.

Did you know BSL is the 4th most used language in the UK...

Cheekyferret
Member # 15263

Rate Member
Ashlin... maybe lol.

I would say Sha-vorn for Siobhan. But then maybe we are moving over to the accent side of English language

No, Suzy has the dictionary and that camera pen.

I came second in a Countdown in Cairo Comp.. my maths failed me.

*Dalia*
Member # 13012

Member Rated:
quote:
Besdies most non-Arabs for some reason pronounce the s in my name as a Z, so it becaomes Yazmine. Should we change the s too?

I have the opposite problem. [Big Grin] My real name contains an "s" which, in German, is pronounced softly, like the "z" in English words. So when people read my name, they pronounce it with a sharp "s", which I hate. If I only tell people my name, they will write it with a "z".

I agree with Ramses, Arabic is much more logical and consistent as far as spelling is concerned. In languages like English, German, and many others, it is much harder for a non-native speaker to figure out spellings and pronunciation.

Btw, I saw a guy on the street in Germany a while ago and his dog was named Ramses. He pronounced it "Ram-zuhz", which is how many Germans pronounce it. It made me cringe.

I always tell people to learn the Arabic script as soon as they start studying Arabic because it makes it so much easier to know the pronunciation. Personally, I hate reading Arabic transcribed with Latin letters.

One of my teachers used several books, and some of them unfortunately used transcriptions. I always found it mind-boggling how the same word is being transcribed differently depending on the language the book is written in. For example, I came across three different transcriptions for خان الخليلي

Khan el khalily -- English
Chan al Chalili -- German
Xan al Xalili -- French.

Ah, languages are fascinating ... [Wink]

Ramses nemesis
Member # 4125

Rate Member
quote:
Shufty and hasheesh are the first two that come to mind.. oh and nik off, the Australian term [Wink] I also love derivatives.

Did you know BSL is the 4th most used language in the UK...

Shufty, interesting, I didn't know this word, thank you.
I meant things like
Assassin - from Hashashin, a group that used to get doped and then go kill people.
Logarithm and Algorithm - from the name of the Arab/Muslim mathematician "Al-khawarizmy"
Admiral - from Amir al-bahr (prince of the sea) who's sort of head of the navy or fleet in Arab/Muslim times.

I'm sure there are other examples, but those are the ones that come to mind at the moment.
No, I didn't know about BSL being fourth, so what are the second and third? probably Welsh is one of them, or maybe Urdu, or Polish. (I'm not being funny btw, those are large communities in the UK as you probably know).

Cheekyferret
Member # 15263

Rate Member
4th official language of uk.. sorry... after English, Scots Gaelic and Welsh... I perhaps should have used the word indigenous..

I laughed at Hashahin, it sounds like I word I would make up after a beer!

I do know about the Poles, a good friend of mine married one. He is Welsh and she has the cutest Welsh polish accent.. Not to be confused with Welshpool [Wink]

I have to sleep, thanks for the info, I should look into arabic derivatives more....

Dzosser
Member # 9572

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dzosser   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dalia..who ever told you that the French ever start any word with an 'X' ? This may be Spanish or Chinese, but Khan el Khalili is the right thing in French.. [Roll Eyes] Comprennez vous ? C'est evident, car il n'ya pas un seul mot en Français qui commence avec la lettre 'X'. [Razz]
Posts: 3219 | From: Wisdom comes with age, but sometimes age comes alone. | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com