EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Living in Egypt » Cod

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Cod
GBA
Member # 14862

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for GBA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Where can you buy good old fashioned cod in Cairo? Carrefour sell lots of different fish but not cod.

Or better, where can I get fish and chips [Smile]

Posts: 140 | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ayisha
Member # 4713

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ayisha     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
dont think you will get any Cod Giles [Frown] I always thought a chippy was a good business idea though [Big Grin]

--------------------
If you don't learn from your mistakes, there's no sense making them.

Posts: 15090 | From: http://www.egyptalk.com/forum/ | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aisha24
Member # 13800

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for aisha24   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We had an English fish and chip shop here in Hurhada at the new marina unfortunatley it didnt last very long.. no business .Really a shame .
I would luv some good old blighty fish and chips ....

Posts: 14 | From: hurghada | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dzosser
Member # 9572

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dzosser   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Britts are known to have no 'cuisine', they know nothing else but fish and chips and/or eggs and bacon. [Frown]
Germans too are all about Kartoffel..nothing else. [Razz]

Posts: 3219 | From: Wisdom comes with age, but sometimes age comes alone. | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ayisha
Member # 4713

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ayisha     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Dzosser:
Britts are known to have no 'cuisine', they know nothing else but fish and chips and/or eggs and bacon. [Frown]

No longer true! The British national dish is now CURRY!! [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]
Posts: 15090 | From: http://www.egyptalk.com/forum/ | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ford Prefect (not perfect)
Member # 9338

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ford Prefect (not perfect)   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by GilesA:
Where can you buy good old fashioned cod in Cairo? Carrefour sell lots of different fish but not cod.

Or better, where can I get fish and chips [Smile]

Did Carrefour have any imported frozen cod sticks in the freezer section? I thought I seen some last time we was there, but I may have been mistaken.

Harry's Pub at the Marriott in Zamalek has fish n' chips. I'm not sure if it was cod however. If you want a quiet meal go there at lunch or early evening. The atmosphere changes quite a bit into the night.

There's another sports type bar/english pub in Zamalek, I forgot it's name. If memory serves they had fish n chips on the menu, never tried it though, I'm partial to Italian food when I can get it heheh. Located near the green arrow here on Sayed el Bakry street.google maps It's easy to miss, the entry is a step down from the street. If you walk from 26 July road directly you will run into it when that short street intersects at the green arrow.

It's been a few years since I have been to either place so take that for what it's worth heheh

Posts: 409 | From: Betelgeuse | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
*Dalia*
Member # 13012

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for *Dalia*     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Dzosser:

Germans too are all about Kartoffel..nothing else. [Razz]

I noticed Egyptians eat even more potatoes than Germans. [Wink]

That said, traditional German cuisine sucks. I was lucky enough to grow up with a mother who cooked food from all parts of the world. And I never cook German dishes, never did, with the exception of maybe two or three.

Posts: 2803 | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GBA
Member # 14862

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for GBA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am going to check out Carrefour's frozen section tomorrow. Thanks for that!

Curry - I had a really pleasant curry at the Ramses Hilton a few weeks ago. Its a bit commercial (the restaurant's ambience) but food quality seems pretty good.

Posts: 140 | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
*Dalia*
Member # 13012

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for *Dalia*     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Have you been to the Moghul Room at the Mena House, Giles? They serve the best Indian food ever. And Raoucha & Kandahar in Mohandesseen has great Indian food as well.
[Smile]

Posts: 2803 | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GBA
Member # 14862

Rate Member
No cod at Carrefour, only 'basa'. What is this in English - Bass?

Dalia: No, where is Moghul Room?

Ford Prefect (not perfect)
Member # 9338

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ford Prefect (not perfect)   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
No cod at Carrefour, only 'basa'. What is this in English - Bass?

Sorry Giles I was mistaken on Carrefour having any. Basa is a type of catfish.

You might try a Metro shop or Alfa Market in Maadi if you haven't already.

I asked a couple of my relatives and they said we dont have ocean fish in egypt.

So if it's not in the imported frozen food section you might be out of luck. Maybe have a friend send some packed in dry ice from the UK heheh

Posts: 409 | From: Betelgeuse | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
*Dalia*
Member # 13012

Member Rated:
quote:

It's at the Mena House, a hotel close to the pyramids.

http://www.oberoimenahouse.com/Hotel/Dining-Restaurant.aspx

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com