EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Living in Egypt » Next random question...

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Next random question...
Cheekyferret
Member # 15263

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cheekyferret     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Can YOU define the word intelligence? I don't mean the dictionary version, I mean put into your own words.

How do YOU judge others intelligence?

I capitalise 'YOU' as copy and paste articles aren't YOUR views, they are the views of the originator. I want personal opinions, own words; your views.

I ask this as last night in the bar 7 of us debated the hell out of these questions for quite a while and I found it highly interesting how others think. I also found it highly interesting how no one resorted to using google to get an opinion... [Big Grin]

Posts: 11097 | From: Cairo | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dzosser
Member # 9572

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dzosser   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh no you wouldn't like that one.. [Frown] [Razz]
Posts: 3219 | From: Wisdom comes with age, but sometimes age comes alone. | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cheekyferret
Member # 15263

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cheekyferret     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No thoughts then Dozy... nothing to contribute?

All I want is some opinions... you don't have to insult anybody, or dig. Just discuss thoughts!!!

Posts: 11097 | From: Cairo | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dzosser
Member # 9572

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dzosser   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ermm.. after giving it some thought, I believe it takes an intelligent person to know exactly what to do with his/her life and end up doing it perfectly right, never loosing momentum whatever happens.

I believe we're all intelligent by nature, but need to realize it through practice and learning.

Posts: 3219 | From: Wisdom comes with age, but sometimes age comes alone. | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
of_gold
Member # 13418

Icon 1 posted      Profile for of_gold     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Difficult question Man.

To me an intelligent person is able to see different perspectives, to reason, someone who doesn't follow the crowd or status quo but has his own thought process.

...and when needed is able change opinions based on newly understood information.

There is a lack of intelligence when someone is so grounded in what they think that they cannot reason for themselves.

--------------------
"Not everything that counts can be counted, and not everything that can be counted counts." (Sign hanging in Einstein's office at Princeton)
Leap and the Net will Appear.

Posts: 3891 | From: No good deed goes unpunished. | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mo Ning Min E
Member # 681

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mo Ning Min E     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The ability to assimilate information usefully and creatively.
Lateral thinking. Effective use of past learning, experiences.
Ability to confidently initiate discussion without appearing to be making a speech.
Rationally debating or considering a problem or topic; not giving unsupported input.
Not simple intuitive 'putting 2 and 2 together' ... more like putting 7 and 5 together.
Eclectic life experiences. Discriminating taste in literature etc. [Within reason of course! Nobody loves an intellectual snob]
Good interpersonal skills, calm debater, inclusive conversationalist. [Smart people know that even the dumbest of us can contribute something of great importance sometimes!]
Listening is learning.
Open mindedness.
Ability to be persuaded by counter argument without having a breakdown.
scepticism, not cynicism.

Posts: 1399 | From: alexandria | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dzosser
Member # 9572

Rate Member
Originally posted by Mo Ning Min E:
The ability to assimilate information usefully and creatively.
Lateral thinking. Effective use of past learning, experiences.
Ability to confidently initiate discussion without appearing to be making a speech.
Rationally debating or considering a problem or topic; not giving unsupported input.
Not simple intuitive 'putting 2 and 2 together' ... more like putting 7 and 5 together.
Eclectic life experiences. Discriminating taste in literature etc. [Within reason of course! Nobody loves an intellectual snob]
Good interpersonal skills, calm debater, inclusive conversationalist. [Smart people know that even the dumbest of us can contribute something of great importance sometimes!]
Listening is learning.
Open mindedness.
Ability to be persuaded by counter argument without having a breakdown.
scepticism, not cynicism.

In brief : EXPOSURE [Big Grin]

Mo Ning Min E
Member # 681

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mo Ning Min E     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Unfortunately we often tend to judge others' intelligence on whether they share our own views, don't we?
BTW One of the most interesting little facts I ever learned was told me by a guy who was retarded.
[I know, it's called 'severe learning difficulties, but not everyone here is English]
Anyway he explained why cats appear to torture their prey.

Posts: 1399 | From: alexandria | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cheekyferret
Member # 15263

Rate Member
Wow... very interesting.

I said the ability to view points from all angles, the ability to be educated by others and adapt a new perspective and I also said somebody who is prepared to lisen...

This all stemmed from discussing pub quizzes; I am pretty good with GK and trivia but I put this down to having a good memory and the ability to retain given information... one guy said it is becasue I am intelligent... this sparked a debate because I said a good memory doesn't implicate I am intelligent. Before I knew it we were actually debating and I was intrigued by others thoughts...

_
Member # 3567

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for _     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Topic: Next random question...

Lol and I was wondering if you would ask who's still virgin here!!! [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

Posts: 30135 | From: The owner of this website killed ES....... | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ayisha
Member # 4713

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ayisha     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i am [Big Grin]

--------------------
If you don't learn from your mistakes, there's no sense making them.

Posts: 15090 | From: http://www.egyptalk.com/forum/ | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sashyra8
Member # 14488

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sashyra8     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ayisha:
i am [Big Grin]

Always trying to outstand Ahmad. [Big Grin] [Razz]
Posts: 3833 | From: here,there,everywhere | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Desertgirl
Member # 12450

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Desertgirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Interesting question.
Not sure about my answer yet.

Posts: 2932 | From: Just now and then | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cheekyferret
Member # 15263

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by desertgirl:
Interesting question.
Not sure about my answer yet.

It isn't easy is it? It ws such a good debate to have.

I will report back with tonight's conversation tomorrow. I cannot clealry stte if it will be sensible being the start of the weekend!!

Member # 14677

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for *****     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I judge others intelligence on different vairables
If they are well read
Informed with world events
I jugde a person intelligence on being witty
as that to me is a sign of high intelligence
quick on the take they call it [Smile]
You get emotinal intelligence
People who have the ability skill etc to identify assess and manage emotions
of them selves
and others
An intelligent person always
knows when to keep there mouth shut
especially when morons are making a fool of
themselves and you are farting against thunder
as you can never win with a moron

--------------------
Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.

Posts: 564 | From: planet earth | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Makbeta
Member # 14401

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Makbeta     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Definitely seeing things from different perspectives - here I think the more experiences in life we have (good or bad), the better. Empathy, ie having the capacity to be in someone else's shoes thus not forming instant opinions/judgements...
Knowing when to step in and when to step aside.
Being well-read is surely beneficial too (though not everybody has unlimited access to books, esp in poor countries, but might be extremely intelligent nevertheless - by word of mouth for example).

I believe we are constantly evolving, changing and what is right/correct for us today might be totally different tomorrow (well, not literally) due to new knowledge, facts, etc. I think this is why over the years I've become rather sceptic and I prefer to have a little distance in many situations at first.

I love one sentence I saw somewhere: It's not important how many times you fall, but rather how many times you rise. Maybe this is also a sign of intelligence?...

Posts: 2807 | From: Europe | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Questionmarks
Member # 12336

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Questionmarks     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The ability to understand and act by using all functions of the brains. For instance : To recognise processes, to understand languages and idea's, to understand and to use norms and values, to think problem-solvend, to reason, to make plans, to think abstract, and all store them in the memory and to use it when needed, and at last, to adapt to new situations.

--------------------
“Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing, there is a field. I will meet you there.”

Posts: 7202 | From: EU | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com