EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Living in Egypt » Mokattam? (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Mokattam?
Cheekyferret
Member # 15263

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cheekyferret     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Clear and QSY:
quote:
Originally posted by Cheekyferret:
[QUOTE]If I was here again for Christmas I would go down to Aswan again, no Christmas anything, 30c and a sunlounger for Christmas Day [Big Grin] bliss [Wink]

I did like Autumn in England, the colours etc but i would rather look at the pics from my balcony here than have to feel the cold as well.

What do you have against Christmas? Ok so I'm not big into celebrating it either but I do kind of enjoy the music and the lights and decorations. We left Egypt last year for Christmas in Florida and it was so unfestive. So this year to a cold place for a more Christmassy feeling.

Maybe Christmas in the UK is different than in the States.

I'm going to get a Christmas tree this year as well. As soon as the guy on Road 9 puts them out for sale. LOL Christmas is Sierra's birthday. I am going to have her and birthday make ornaments to hang on the tree.

Something to get you in the Christmas mood

I love the actual day, I like to be with the kids and all that jazz.. the turkey, the laughter etc but the whole run up to it is horrid. I was in England in August and the decorations etc were in shop windows!

One family tradition we have is we have two Christmas Days... we do it all again in Feb when the who drama of it all has subsided. We can only spend £10 each and it is way more special than the actual event.

When I was a kid we had Halloween and Bonfire Night before Christmas!!

This will be my first Christmas with the kids in years... that excites me, but I am happier here out of the whole drama of it [Big Grin]

My fave time of yr in England is spring,
I love new life and new leaves etc... the fresh air, the lighter days and that feeling that summer is on the way. But, i got that here as
I was cold till June [Big Grin]

Posts: 11097 | From: Cairo | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tibe still working
Member # 16647

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tibe still working   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ferret y have kids????? I thought y was proud single with no need for kids. I must really update my profile catalogue [Big Grin]
Posts: 1325 | From: For tooti http://www.csa.gov.uk/ | Registered: May 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Clear and QSY
Member # 15597

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Clear and QSY     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Are there any New Englanders on here who remember the Noreaster of 1994 and 95? I have photos of our cars in the driveway completely buried in the snow. The only thing you can see is a part of the luggage rack on top of the car.

Now that's what I'm talking about.

Posts: 1626 | From: whatever, wherever | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
_
Member # 3567

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for _     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

Oh and for the record, blackmail??? Dellusional woman, and yes, I have talked about you in a PM, I told somebody you bad mouth Egypt and to ignore you! I say that here all the time, no secret.

Because I have other experiences than you do? Because my life in Egypt did not merely consist of spending my nights out in different nightclubs??

And it's certainly not my problem if you don't see the pollution, the black cloud and trash etc. all over your current home city.

Well I guess denial is easy and convenient for you. And I can't wait for you to come on here and complain about certain health issues arising from it. Actually I don't care cause it's your choice.

quote:

On FB, a group of us were talking about you when you and Sono were arguing, it was merely pointed out by there were 3 of us I think, that you were quite low class, had a foul mouth and we discussed you swinging. Then I felt bile rise and had to log out [Big Grin]

Clearly only a person who continiously falls off a bar chair can believe that stuff. It was merely a joke and I was playing Sono's little game.

Looks like you do miss any kind of humor but really I didn't expect anything different from you.

quote:

They may not wish to declare who they are but rest assured, I don't care.

Oh you do care, you do. Trashing me seems to be your favourite hobby besides putting all that other crap here on this forum.

You are not what you trying to make us believe. Happy sounds different.

I would like you to stop what you are doing on and off forum. Just completely ignore me and my posts - and I will do the same. The choice is yours.

Posts: 30135 | From: The owner of this website killed ES....... | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chef Mick
Member # 11209

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Chef Mick     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Are there any New Englanders on here who remember the Noreaster of 1994 and 95? I have photos of our cars in the driveway completely buried in the snow. The only thing you can see is a part of the luggage rack on top of the car.

http://www.betterphoto.com/gallery/dynoGall2.asp?catID=373 [Eek!] [Wink]
Posts: 9443 | From: USA...... | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Clear and QSY
Member # 15597

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Clear and QSY     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Karen Walker:
quote:

http://www.betterphoto.com/gallery/dynoGall2.asp?catID=373 [Eek!] [Wink]
Did you guys get hit with that in Philly?
Posts: 1626 | From: whatever, wherever | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chef Mick
Member # 11209

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Chef Mick     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
alot in past years we have great snow storms [Razz]
Posts: 9443 | From: USA...... | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dzosser
Member # 9572

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dzosser   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

Now that must be fun [Big Grin] to shovel and dig out your car every morning to go to work..let alone keeping the doorway clear. [Eek!] [Razz]

Posts: 3219 | From: Wisdom comes with age, but sometimes age comes alone. | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tibe still working
Member # 16647

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tibe still working   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Dzosser:

Now that must be fun [Big Grin] to shovel and dig out your car every morning to go to work..let alone keeping the doorway clear. [Eek!] [Razz]

People stay home from work and stay indoor when its that bad - playing games and drinking hot chocolate or tea.
Posts: 1325 | From: For tooti http://www.csa.gov.uk/ | Registered: May 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chef Mick
Member # 11209

Rate Member
thats why i have brothers ...they have trucks with snow plows on so i dont have to do anything [Big Grin] [Wink]
Tibe still working
Member # 16647

Rate Member
My kiddos last winter.

http://i37.tinypic.com/2qbu6mo.jpg

http://i33.tinypic.com/2a0ky85.jpg

Cheekyferret
Member # 15263

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cheekyferret     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey... apparently I fall off bar stools [Wink] You really do have a lovely and vivid little imagination when you stop Googling for a brief moment.

I couldn't read the rest for laughing.

I have been asked my opinion if I thought you were Sono, but she outsmarts you every time.

Isn't there some Croatian breaking news you feel the need to copy and paste here [Wink]

Anyway, back to sanity:

It no longer snows relly in England ladies, not like the snow I recall as a small child. It just rains and is grey!

Shame really as I am a snowboarder!!! I may visit you guys and bring my board [Big Grin]

Posts: 11097 | From: Cairo | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dzosser
Member # 9572

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dzosser   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Originally posted by Tibe still working:
People stay home from work and stay indoor when its that bad - playing games and drinking hot chocolate or tea.

Danish GULAG.. [Frown]

Posts: 3219 | From: Wisdom comes with age, but sometimes age comes alone. | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tibe still working
Member # 16647

Rate Member
quote:

Danish GULAG.. [Frown]

Payed vaccation we call it. [Big Grin]
Chef Mick
Member # 11209

Rate Member
quote:
Hey... apparently I fall off bar stools [Wink] You really do have a lovely and vivid little imagination when you stop Googling for a brief moment.

I have been asked my opinion if I thought you were Sono, but she outsmarts you every time.

Isn't there some Croatian breaking news you feel the need to copy and paste here [Wink]

Anyway, back to sanity:

It no longer snows relly in England ladies, not like the snow I recall as a small child. It just rains and is grey!

Shame really as I am a snowboarder!!! I may visit you guys and bring my board [Big Grin]

you are so welcome girly, we have great mountains you can snowboard off of [Wink]
http://www.800poconos.com/things-to-do/snowsports-winter-recreation

Dzosser
Member # 9572

Rate Member

No its not, its called being stuck at home waiting for the weather to straighten out, and this could be very frustrating and nerve wrecking, specially if it lasts 10 days or so. [Razz] [Mad]

Cheekyferret
Member # 15263

Rate Member
quote:
quote:

Anyway, back to sanity:

you are so welcome girly, we have great mountains you can snowboard off of [Wink]
http://www.800poconos.com/things-to-do/snowsports-winter-recreation

Fabulous... it isn't the same on artificial crap, I am debating Dubai for a boarding trip.

I have been looking for sandboarding here but it isn't widely available yet.

That is why I asked about El Gouna, what is available there, I wouldn't mind kite boarding.

Moon Beach is fab for all that kinda stuff.

Falls off stools [Wink] I am just SO glad people know me, have met me and talk with me reguarly!!! Defamation like that could mar my good character [Wink] (Imagine if my bro got my password to ES lol)

Makbeta
Member # 14401

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Makbeta     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
I love new life and new leaves etc... the fresh air, the lighter days and that feeling that summer is on the way.

Spring is my favourite season for all the reasons mentioned above. (And my birthday is in spring too!! [Wink] )
Posts: 2807 | From: Europe | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tibe still working
Member # 16647

Rate Member
quote:

No its not, its called being stuck at home waiting for the weather to straighten out, and this could be very frustrating and nerve wrecking, specially if it lasts 10 days or so. [Razz] [Mad]

No it never lasts 10 days and its so nice to be with family. Never been so bad that we could go out for walk in the city and government worker work 24/7 to keep the roads free. Its super nice and we only experience that very few days a year and lately not even every year.
rather snowstorm than sandstorm..... [Razz]

Cheekyferret
Member # 15263

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by Makbeta:
quote:
I love new life and new leaves etc... the fresh air, the lighter days and that feeling that summer is on the way.

Spring is my favourite season for all the reasons mentioned above. (And my birthday is in spring too!! [Wink] )
Mine is also in the spring [Big Grin] I do miss daffodils and we have tried to grow them here but to no avail.

One thing I do miss is my garden, I was an avid gardener, I have nasturtium seeds in my window box now [Big Grin]

Tibe still working
Member # 16647

Rate Member
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Makbeta:
quote:

Mine is also in the spring [Big Grin] I do miss daffodils and we have tried to grow them here but to no avail.

One thing I do miss is my garden, I was an avid gardener, I have nasturtium seeds in my window box now [Big Grin]

Thats what i miss when im in Egypt. Fresh beautifull flowers that last more than 3 days or flowers that doesnt smells like public toilets (from the watering...)
Dzosser
Member # 9572

Rate Member
Sandstorms are mostly serious in the desert, we live in CITIES, sandstorms don't last more than a day or so, usually followed by rain to wash out the dusty weather..I'm talking about Cairo.
Our major threat is continuous pouring rain for like two consecutive days [Eek!] now that will literally block us out of civilization. [Smile]

Tibe still working
Member # 16647

Rate Member
WHHHATTT 2 DAYS RAIN I CAIRO??????? [Eek!] [Eek!] [Eek!]

People MUST stay home from work [Big Grin]

Cheekyferret
Member # 15263

Rate Member
Do you recall the sudden storm last October Dzosser? For the first time in 17 years our apartment flooded... my Father spent one day last week sealing all the frames incase it happens again!

The streets were like rivers.

Sandstorms affect my voice a lot... the ill health TB talks of is my weak voice box caused by an allergy to something, the environment, volume of cigarette smoke and AC units. I used to suffer in the UK but moreso here.

My health here is amazing though compared to my health in the UK, I was virtually disabled in England, the damp is not good for my spinal condition (not caused from falling off stools [Wink] ) the heat here really helps me.

My Father has Raynards disease too so this is an ideal climate for him as well.

Cheekyferret
Member # 15263

Rate Member
quote:

I was in a taxi 2 years again and it rained and the taxi driver went into a panic, he could not find the window wipers and he slowed right down shouting 'Allah, why did you send us this weather'...
Clear and QSY
Member # 15597

Rate Member
quote:
My kiddos last winter.

Most of my good pictures from New York are not on digital and I don't have them with me to scan. But I did dig up these from the hard drive:

Snow in Indiana

Chef Mick
Member # 11209

Rate Member
quote:

i flew into Cairo i think it was feb 2007 ...raining like hell .i was waiting for my ride to pick me up...2 hours later they showed up [Eek!] i said what the hell happened , they told me they don't drive in rain ..it scares them [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

snow in new york
http://images.search.yahoo.com/search/images?_adv_prop=image&fr=ytff1-msgr&va=snow+new+york&sz=all

Cheekyferret
Member # 15263

Rate Member
quote:
quote:
My kiddos last winter.

Most of my good pictures from New York are not on digital and I don't have them with me to scan. But I did dig up these from the hard drive:

Snow in Indiana

Brrrr [Wink]

See, English snow isn't like that, even the snow is grey!

I would so love to go sledging in that though...

Ok, I have done some thinking and I have concluded I love weathers that I can have fun in... deep snow, hot sun and wind if I am out on the water. Other than that I am not overly impressed [Big Grin]

An English friend here misses home so much she puts the AC on freezing in the winter then wraps up in a duvet and PJS and has soup and watches
'Friends' just to remind her of home... nutter lol.

Tibe still working
Member # 16647

Rate Member
quote:
quote:

I was in a taxi 2 years again and it rained and the taxi driver went into a panic, he could not find the window wipers and he slowed right down shouting 'Allah, why did you send us this weather'...
[Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]
Like when Gabr first time experienced REAL RAIN in Denmark. He ran around in the garden totally skin wet and laughed like a little kid. Kids thought he had gone nuts and was nearly a bit scared [Big Grin]

Tibe still working
Member # 16647

Rate Member
quote:
quote:
My kiddos last winter.

Snow in Indiana

aaaah that looks great and beautifull. Is that your blog???
Clear and QSY
Member # 15597

Rate Member
quote:
quote:

i flew into Cairo i think it was feb 2007 ...raining like hell .i was waiting for my ride to pick me up...2 hours later they showed up [Eek!] i said what the hell happened , they told me they don't drive in rain ..it scares them [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

snow in new york
http://images.search.yahoo.com/search/images?_adv_prop=image&fr=ytff1-msgr&va=snow+new+york&sz=all

Nice, but it does not snow in NYC the way it does upstate where I lived. BTW my ex-inlaws were living in Stroudsburg, PA and we went once a month to PA. Never went skiing in the Poconos though. Did that a time or two in Vermont and New Hampshire.

And I was in Cairo in February of 2007 as well and it started raining. I wanted to go to Tahrir to buy a new phone and could not find a taxi to save my life. They don't go out in the rain. So I walked. And I walked into the Mobile Shop and all the employees just stood there staring at me like I was crazy.

But to show you how stupid I am...before my first trip to Egypt I was in Walmart looking for some small gifts to bring for my hosts. They had some small folding umbrellas that can fit in your purse. I bought like 3 to give as gifts to the women. I gave them the umbrellas and they just said thank you. I realized later that they had no flippin clue what they were nor could they imagine why they would need one. [Big Grin]

_
Member # 3567

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for _     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mega sandstorm I witnessed once on the 13th floor, I could see Giza and Mohandseen covered in a huge orange dust cloud already and it came towards us, shattered glass doors, papers flying around everywhere, people starting to panic, time to say your prayers, the end is coming I thought.... horrible.
Posts: 30135 | From: The owner of this website killed ES....... | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Clear and QSY
Member # 15597

Rate Member
quote:
[QUOTE]aaaah that looks great and beautifull. Is that your blog???

Yes it's the blog. Because I can't figure out any other way to get photos online. I don't use flickr or tinypics.
_
Member # 3567

Rate Member
quote:
But to show you how stupid I am...before my first trip to Egypt I was in Walmart looking for some small gifts to bring for my hosts. They had some small folding umbrellas that can fit in your purse. I bought like 3 to give as gifts to the women. I gave them the umbrellas and they just said thank you. I realized later that they had no flippin clue what they were nor could they imagine why they would need one. [Big Grin]

LOL! I made similar mistakes before! [Big Grin] [Big Grin]
Cheekyferret
Member # 15263

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by bryony:
Hi all,
I am new here so first I will say hey, I have been in Egypt since June and come from the UK
Ok now to the question, Can you guys give me some info on Mokattam I will move there and I have been there before but I was wondering if anyone knew anything about transport, are micro buses the only form of public transport? Do they have a direct bus to downtown? How much should a taxi cost to downtown?
Also are there any good bars there?
Actually any advise you could give me on this place would be greatly appreciated

Bryony, this is my friends response:

Hi Nicola

Mokattam is safe but I never felt comfortable to tell you the truth. There are very few foreigners up there. So not much night life that I ever found. I was told of a Egyptian bar - but I never went there, not by myself of course. There are a couple of coffee shops including a new Beanos put in just before I left. I just got a lot of unwanted attention more so up there then in Maadi. And the shop keepers and grocery do not speak English - not like in Maadi.

The taxis to Maadi cost 20 - 30 LE. I often had to pay more at night to get home.

I wish her luck.

Hope you are well. J. x

Hope getting a view from someone who lived there helps a little. I am sure if you need more help she would only be too happy, she is a really nice lady.

I am arranging a night out in Ma'adi for next Thursday evening if you are interesting in meeting some new folk.

Clear and QSY
Member # 15597

Rate Member
Fish Market?
Cheekyferret
Member # 15263

Rate Member
quote:
Fish Market?

No, that will be the Friday. Last night one of the guys in the bar asked if I would arrange a trip to Villa 55 for the Thursday before.

I will put the email and details out after the weekend as not to confuse myself.

bryony
Member # 17041

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for bryony     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
thanks for the info, I dont know if I can make this thursday but I would love to be told if you plan any future nights out.
Posts: 10 | From: Cairo | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cheekyferret
Member # 15263

Rate Member
You are welcome, I will copy you into all future info.

If there is also somewhere you wish to venture to but do not wish to go alone pls tell me and I can arrange a group meeting.

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com