EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Living in Egypt » Rain, woohoo!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Rain, woohoo!
LovedOne
Member # 10222

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LovedOne     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sitting around this morning and heard a noise outside and figured out it was RAIN!!! Hurray! Not much, just a minute or two, but I loved every second of it. [Big Grin]

Anyone else getting any rain?

Posts: 1283 | From: Cairo | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Laura
Member # 879

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Laura     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well after the hurricane yesterday (yahoo weather reported 130mph winds), it calmed down [Big Grin]

The wind did pick up a little this morning, there was about a 25 second rumble of thunder and then it rained for about 10 minutes. Sun appeared again. Further updates will be provided if any more precipitation happens this way [Smile]

Posts: 3291 | From: I DO believe in Karma! | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cheekyferret
Member # 15263

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cheekyferret     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
According to a girl in Ma'adi it rained for 5 mins and a girl in 6th Oct said it rained mud... it rained only a few spots here but it is very grey...
Posts: 11097 | From: Cairo | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LovedOne
Member # 10222

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LovedOne     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Gray indeed. You'd think the sun had gone for good! lol
I forgot what it was like to have gray skies. Kind of miss it, but will be ready for sun again very shortly. [Smile]
Though I'd be happy for a bit more rain.

My first trip to Cairo in October of 2007, it rained for a couple of days and there was all kinds of thunder and lightening. Very exciting stuff! Hubby says it hasn't rained like that since.

Posts: 1283 | From: Cairo | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cheekyferret
Member # 15263

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cheekyferret     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oct 24th last year the heavens opened here and poured down for only around 10 mins, but I mean poured. The streets were like rivers and our balcony flooded and start to seep into the lounge. We had to bail out.

In 16 years this apartment has never flooded. My father spent one day last month silliconing all the framework incase it happened again.

It will be sunny again shortly [Big Grin] sadly we have to endure winter to get it!!! I hate January here (not as much as Jan in UK).. I have bought my blanket, the summer clothes will soon be swapped for winter ones and the duvet will come out.

I saw an electrical storm in May, beautiful.

Posts: 11097 | From: Cairo | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
An Exercise in Futility
Member # 9889

Icon 1 posted      Profile for An Exercise in Futility         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just had a rain 'storm' (5 mins of gentle patter) here too - no mud though [Big Grin]

The 2 hour rainstorm of January 18th 2008 caused mayhem in Cairo. Didn't they declare a state of emergency or something?

Posts: 5593 | From: Egypt | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cheekyferret
Member # 15263

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by Shanta Qadeama:
Just had a rain 'storm' (5 mins of gentle patter) here too - no mud though [Big Grin]

The 2 hour rainstorm of January 18th 2008 caused mayhem in Cairo. Didn't they declare a state of emergency or something?

Not sure, I flew out on the 11th Jan 08.

Did you read the mud comment on FB, does that lady live that way?

An Exercise in Futility
Member # 9889

Icon 1 posted      Profile for An Exercise in Futility         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you mean the chocolate house - yes, the other side of 6O from me.
Posts: 5593 | From: Egypt | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tina m
Member # 13845

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for tina m     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
hell its has been raining every day for a week here u can gladly have ours.

--------------------
your ass is so tight when you fart only a dog can hear it.when you queef only a cat can hear that one.

Posts: 9776 | From: You like If only mosquitoes sucked fat instead of blood. | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cheekyferret
Member # 15263

Rate Member
Cool... [Big Grin] The chocolate house is now a mud hut it appears.

The clouds have cleared a little here and it is looking better.

Clear and QSY
Member # 15597

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Clear and QSY     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It rained here in Maadi this morning for about 5 minutes. Then again this afternoon for 2 minutes. It's been grey all day and I love it. A perfect fall day. I am sick with a bad cold on the couch watching tv and drinking tea. The weather is very fitting.
Posts: 1626 | From: whatever, wherever | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tina m
Member # 13845

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for tina m     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Clear and QSY:
It rained here in Maadi this morning for about 5 minutes. Then again this afternoon for 2 minutes. It's been grey all day and I love it. A perfect fall day. I am sick with a bad cold on the couch watching tv and drinking tea. The weather is very fitting.

hopefully u did not catch the h1n1 there...and u get well soon i know all to well about colds.
Posts: 9776 | From: You like If only mosquitoes sucked fat instead of blood. | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Clear and QSY
Member # 15597

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Clear and QSY     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by tina kamal:
quote:
Originally posted by Clear and QSY:

hopefully u did not catch the h1n1 there...and u get well soon i know all to well about colds.
No. It's not H1N1. Just a sinus infection probably triggered by the black cloud I have been breathing the last 2 weeks.
Posts: 1626 | From: whatever, wherever | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
An Exercise in Futility
Member # 9889

at least the rain might wash the black cloud down!
jean_bean
Member # 13715

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for jean_bean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was overjoyed at the rain...its been a year now since we got any here, I think.
It made all the grass and trees that are around, green again.

Posts: 1103 | From: 6th of October | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
maxman
Member # 12150

Rate Member
Icon 7 posted      Profile for maxman   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by jean_bean:
I was overjoyed at the rain...its been a year now since we got any here, I think.
It made all the grass and trees that are around, green again.

It drizzled on 5-june-09,when i arrived in cairo,anyway the pygmies used to tease me as a child,that iam a Rain maker,when ever i went to the mountains of the moon,it would piss down buckets!! [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]
Posts: 998 | From: UK,Egypt,east and central africa..... | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chef Mick
Member # 11209

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Chef Mick     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
all you guys can share my rain..we have had a weird fall so far.it has rained more then we have seen sunshine
wait am i in England? [Big Grin]
still have to cut the friggen grass

Posts: 9443 | From: USA...... | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
maxman
Member # 12150

Rate Member
Icon 14 posted      Profile for maxman   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
@Micky:Give me Rain,Grass&Highland forests anyday,I Cant stand desert,it demoralises me...thats why i always escape to the farm in mansoura at least it is still green there for now. [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]
Posts: 998 | From: UK,Egypt,east and central africa..... | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Laura
Member # 879

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Laura     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's been raining on and off for 2 days now [Smile] Lots of thunder but no lightning.

All the trees and plants are emerald green and my rose bushes are loving the cooler temps...Yeah!

Posts: 3291 | From: I DO believe in Karma! | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
maxman
Member # 12150

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for maxman   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Laura:
It's been raining on and off for 2 days now [Smile] Lots of thunder but no lightning.

All the trees and plants are emerald green and my rose bushes are loving the cooler temps...Yeah!

I would love to see your Garden.... [Smile] [Smile]
Laura
Member # 879

quote:
Originally posted by maxman:
quote:

A little virtual tour [Smile]
http://i34.tinypic.com/1zcenfm.jpg
http://i38.tinypic.com/hwidc7.jpg
http://i38.tinypic.com/21j1ukw.jpg
http://i35.tinypic.com/1497bpe.jpg
http://i38.tinypic.com/2m76d7k.jpg
http://i37.tinypic.com/4vn1qu.jpg

maxman
Member # 12150

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for maxman   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
quote:
quote:

A little virtual tour [Smile]
http://i34.tinypic.com/1zcenfm.jpg
http://i38.tinypic.com/hwidc7.jpg
http://i38.tinypic.com/21j1ukw.jpg
http://i35.tinypic.com/1497bpe.jpg
http://i38.tinypic.com/2m76d7k.jpg
http://i37.tinypic.com/4vn1qu.jpg

Laura darling,all i can say is WOW!!!!My late mum loved gardening,she had planted several medicinal trees and herbal plants,after i buried her,i realised the Whole garden was dying,one of the best garderners in kenya was recommended to me&i hired him to help,this fella was in his late 80's,and for 2 days he did all he could but failed,on the 3rd day,he admited he couldnt manage,so when asked why,he replied that mums plants are are following her across...i pressed him to explain(i had not told him mum was murdered)he just said that mums plants died with her....irony is the old man wouldnt accept any money for his work,he walked away making me promise to hunt down the killers.
maxman
Member # 12150

Rate Member
Any one else with pics of their gardens?Thx

--------------------
www.excitingegypt.co.uk

Chef Mick
Member # 11209

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Chef Mick     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Any one else with pics of their gardens?Thx

no sorry but its fricken raining again...another weekend washed out [Frown]
Posts: 9443 | From: USA...... | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nasto
Member # 17091

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nasto   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Local people have told me that it usually rains during last two weeks of October. After that rains stop. True? I love rain!
Posts: 132 | From: Alex | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
maxman
Member # 12150

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by Nasto:
Local people have told me that it usually rains during last two weeks of October. After that rains stop. True? I love rain!

I love rain too!it could be a blessing in desert,but in tropical africa it can be a nasty piece of work! [Big Grin] [Big Grin]
lifeAgift2
Member # 12263

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for lifeAgift2   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
WOW a whole thread about 10 min of rain in Egypt!!!

Yeah I remebre that one day in Janurary when it rained, you would've thought the world stopped...

--------------------
lifeAgift2 is the poster formerly know as lifeAgift. Couldn't rember the old password!

Posts: 12 | From: In my RIGHT mind in the WRONG country | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Laura
Member # 879

quote:
Originally posted by Nasto:

Hi Nasto [Smile] Did you enjoy the past 2 days of rain? [Big Grin]

I have lived in Alex area for 7 years now and the first 5 years, it seemed it rained/high winds at least once a week from Nov - March/April. Areas of the Corniche would be flooded, cars stalled out, drains plugged from the torrential downpours. The past 2 years have been different, little rain/wind in comparison.

I too, love the rain, though the damp/cold does make the old bones ache.

'Shahrazat
Member # 12769

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 'Shahrazat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Laura, tomorrow the schools will be closed here in Antalya (North Mediterranean) as a big storm is expected [Frown]
Posts: 2591 | From: **Ex Oriente Lux** | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Laura
Member # 879

Wow, cool Shah! [Smile] Send it down our way. We love to hop in the car and drive down to the beach and sit and watch the sea when it's like that. Waves crashing on shore...love it! Very powerful.
'Shahrazat
Member # 12769

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 'Shahrazat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh okey I will [Big Grin] Will try to take some pics [Wink]
Posts: 2591 | From: **Ex Oriente Lux** | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LovedOne
Member # 10222

More rain, hurrah! [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

It was lovely hearing the rain on the first morning of Eid, even though I was too tired to get out of bed and see. Though I think it was still dark out anyways. But boy it was pounding down that day.

_
Member # 3567

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for _     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Read it at first on Twitter!! [Big Grin]
Posts: 30135 | From: The owner of this website killed ES....... | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
young at heart
Member # 10365

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for young at heart     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Blazing sunshine and hot here! Only joking [Big Grin]
Posts: 4476 | From: Scotland | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cheekyferret
Member # 15263

Rate Member
Sure it rained before it Twittered!!!!

Cold and rain... my poor tomato plants [Frown]

How FRESH was this morning??? I am now officially cold!

Cheekyferret
Member # 15263

Rate Member
Sure it rained before it Twittered!!!!

Cold and rain... my poor tomato plants [Frown]

How FRESH was this morning??? I am now officially cold!

_
Member # 3567

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for _     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Tomato plants??? There's nothing growing anymore over here. Ask again next spring!!!
Posts: 30135 | From: The owner of this website killed ES....... | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com