EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Living in Egypt » H1N1 vaccine

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: H1N1 vaccine
_
Member # 3567

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for _     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah another thread but I'd like to know something. I saw yesterday a documentary on it and as possible side effects were mentioned pain in the arm and fever.

Now I consulted my doc this morning and he told me the same (he got his flu shot just two days ago). He recommended me to wait with the vaccination for another two weeks since I just had an op.

Here in Germany the H1N1 flu spreads also, many people catching the disease. I am really starting to worry now and I'll request the flu shot asap also for the children.

Posts: 30135 | From: The owner of this website killed ES....... | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tibe still working
Member # 16647

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tibe still working   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I went to the doctor today to get a vaccine - not the H1N1 because i have already had the diease. We're going to China on the 02.12.09 so we all needed a shot. The doctor said the H1N1 virus already was in Denmark in 1957, so people born prior to that year didnt need to have the vaccine unless the are weak already - in his own opinion.
Posts: 1325 | From: For tooti http://www.csa.gov.uk/ | Registered: May 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
*Dalia*
Member # 13012

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for *Dalia*     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, many people who got vaccinated experience side effects.

I refuse to join the mass hysteria and certainly won't get a vaccination.

You might want to read those, long but interesting:

http://www.tagesspiegel.de/weltspiegel/Schweinegrippe;art1117,2938086

http://www.welt.de/die-welt/wissen/article5065296/Ich-impfe-mich-nicht-mit-Pandemrix.html

Posts: 2803 | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
_
Member # 3567

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for _     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dalia, I wish it was that easy to dismiss it as mass hysteria. But I know now of several people now who had it and it's no fun. I am very worried.
Posts: 30135 | From: The owner of this website killed ES....... | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
*Dalia*
Member # 13012

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for *Dalia*     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Imo being worried is ok, but I don't think there is any reason to panic.

One important thing to do in order to avoid any kind of flu is to take good care of your immune system.

Posts: 2803 | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sub-zero
Member # 9691

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sub-zero     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So should we take the shot or not? [Confused]
Posts: 657 | From: Cairo | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
_
Member # 3567

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by *Dalia*:
Imo being worried is ok, but I don't think there is any reason to panic.

One important thing to do in order to avoid any kind of flu is to take good care of your immune system.

Come on, girl, my immune system is right now down in the gutter! I've been through more than 10 tonsil infections in about 18 months. Now after the op everything is almost perfectly healed and Í will just take it from here.

The prob is my three older kids bring constantly germs back home from school. Ah and my husband just took our oldest this morning to the doc too - bronchitis.

Really someone is always sick in our family. [Frown]

_
Member # 3567

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by Sub-zero:
So should we take the shot or not? [Confused]

The pandemic H1N1 swine flu has spread around the world and made millions of people sick, but there are certain groups of people who are considered “high risk." However, unlike the seasonal flu virus, the people who seem to suffer serious complications from this flu are not those over age 65.

Those at highest risk for complications from H1N1 swine flu seem to be:

Pregnant women
People who are obese
People with heart disease
People with diabetes
People with asthma or other chronic lung diseases
People with kidney disease
Those with suppressed immune systems, such as people with HIV
People with neurological and neuromuscular disorders.

When compared with the seasonal flu, a few striking differences are noticeable between it and the H1N1 swine flu. About 90% of deaths from the seasonal flu occur in adults over the age of 65. However, the H1N1 swine flu has made very few people in this category sick. It has disproportionately affected younger people, specifically those under age 25. Most of the young people who have died from the H1N1 virus have had chronic medical conditions such as those listed above.

It is believed that as many as one third of adults over age 65 may have at least some antibodies to the H1N1 virus. However, it is not known how much protection these antibodies will provide. Also, studies have shown that children and adults younger than 65 do not have any antibodies to the virus. This will make the H1N1 flu vaccine especially important for young people at high risk.

http://coldflu.about.com/od/flu/qt/swinefluhighrisk.htm

"People with asthma"

That would include me then.

Dawn-Bev*
Member # 15190

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dawn-Bev*     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i had the shot last thur (because I work in a hospital and so many sick and infectious people keep coming in and cross-contaminating the place!)- and thats just the visitors.

(always wash your hands after using the door handles and stair wells, as well as the toilets)

also, even though I'm a pretty healthy person I dont want to pass on any virus to my son, or to my elderly parents (dad has COPD and mum has various hearl failure problems)

Until the virus mutates, we dont really know what we're dealing with. I'm not panicking, there always has been and always will be flu viruses, but they mutate, and some are stronger than others etc

Posts: 712 | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GBA
Member # 14862

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for GBA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Two die in Asia after vaccine:

http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/afp_asiapacific/view/1018187/1/.html

Posts: 140 | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mo Ning Min E
Member # 681

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mo Ning Min E     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Some virologists have said that this [major drug company driven IMO] rush for mass vaccinatios could cause the virus to mutate in unexpected ways.
The most significant aspects of this flu are the fact that it attacks young adults and it is exceedingly contagious, exceedingly!
I bet folks are itching to weaponise it for those 2 reasons.[and no, that is not just one of my conspiracy theories]
But overall the number of deaths are not that bad, it is nasty but not generally fatal.

Posts: 1399 | From: alexandria | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sashyra8
Member # 14488

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sashyra8     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Got my swine-flu shot yesterday at the hospital i work in.Haven't felt any different or symptoms of any type.Its available to all employees but on a voluntary basis.
Curiously,didnt see much animosity among my co-workers to have the shot.
The regular seasonal flu-vaccine is administered every year here,too,but most employees go thru it only to be given 2 hours administrative leave in exchange. [Big Grin]

Posts: 3833 | From: here,there,everywhere | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dzosser
Member # 9572

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dzosser   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You work in a hospital ? Hmm..uniform fetish. [Big Grin] [Razz]
Posts: 3219 | From: Wisdom comes with age, but sometimes age comes alone. | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sashyra8
Member # 14488

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sashyra8     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Dzosser:
You work in a hospital ? Hmm..uniform fetish. [Big Grin] [Razz]

*goes back to grab another handful of sand from the nearest desert dune and throws it into Dzosser's eyes...leaving him blind for a while*
Posts: 3833 | From: here,there,everywhere | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com