EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Living in Egypt » Extra Baggage from US

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Extra Baggage from US
karim
Member # 3077

Member Rated:
Icon 5 posted      Profile for karim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi,

Does anyone know how much the airline charge for extra baggage coming from US. I know that you are allowed with 2 baggage and you pay $50 for the second bag, but how much they will charge you for 3rd bag. Does anyone have any idea.

Posts: 1226 | From: Egypt | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tina m
Member # 13845

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for tina m     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
call the airlines. if ur in the usa then u probably have free long distance. aint nothin gonna hurt callin them. good luck

--------------------
your ass is so tight when you fart only a dog can hear it.when you queef only a cat can hear that one.

Posts: 9776 | From: You like If only mosquitoes sucked fat instead of blood. | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
karim
Member # 3077

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for karim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Your allowance are 2 bags.

quote:
Originally posted by tina kamal:
call the airlines. if ur in the usa then u probably have free long distance. aint nothin gonna hurt callin them. good luck

Posts: 1226 | From: Egypt | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tina m
Member # 13845

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for tina m     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i think the extra baggage is based on the pounds i know when i can back from louisiana and had 4 bags and it was expencive cas they were heavy they checked for the pounds and cas i did not have an extra suit case i had to throw alot away cas it was over weight

--------------------
your ass is so tight when you fart only a dog can hear it.when you queef only a cat can hear that one.

Posts: 9776 | From: You like If only mosquitoes sucked fat instead of blood. | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
_
Member # 3567

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for _     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Karim, you do have to check with the airlines. Compare their prices for extra baggage; they all charge differently.
Posts: 30135 | From: The owner of this website killed ES....... | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LovedOne
Member # 10222

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LovedOne     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When I flew last, I was on Air France. When checking in, I had 4 bags. The lady checking me in said it would have been cheaper for me to go over the weight on some of the bags than to bring so many.

So like if I could have stuffed everything into 2 bags and gone over the weight limit and paid a fine, it would still cost me less than to have brought 4 bags.

This might depend on the airline and how much they charge for overweight bags.

Also, each airline charges a little differently for more bags than your allowance, you need to check with them.

You can usually find this information easily online for the major airlines.

Posts: 1283 | From: Cairo | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Clear and QSY
Member # 15597

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Clear and QSY     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you are going direct to Cairo you are allowed 2 bags for free (Delta). Extra bags are I think $150 (at least it was 2 years ago when I checked extra bags).

I think the overweight fee is cheaper.

If you fly through Europe for any connection flight to Cairo then the bag policies get stricter.

Posts: 1626 | From: whatever, wherever | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
melissa87
Member # 17186

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for melissa87     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi guys! im new to this forum. I no its kinda off topic but if i wanted o ship items like my clothes/books to egypt from ireland would i get taxed like crazy? thanks, melissa
Posts: 140 | From: Ireland | Registered: Nov 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sashyra8
Member # 14488

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sashyra8     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"If you fly through Europe for any connection flight to Cairo then the bag policies get stricter. "

Totally.You could be charged up to $50 per extra kilo of excess luggage weight.

Posts: 3833 | From: here,there,everywhere | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
melissa87
Member # 17186

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for melissa87     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
wow i did some searches and its like 400 pounds plus! just for 1 box [Frown] does anyone know of a cheaper way of getting clothes etc into egypt?
Posts: 140 | From: Ireland | Registered: Nov 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Clear and QSY
Member # 15597

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Clear and QSY     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by melissa87:
Hi guys! im new to this forum. I no its kinda off topic but if i wanted o ship items like my clothes/books to egypt from ireland would i get taxed like crazy? thanks, melissa

You could end up paying quite a bit in customs. I had stuff shipped from the US and I declared "household move" on the invoice. I ended up paying about 1,500 LE in customs. The bad thing is there is no set formula for calculating the value of your shipment or what customs determines the value to be. I think it's all in the luck of the draw who is working the day your shipment arrives.

Just a side note here on shipping from overseas: It is much cheaper and easier to ship by air freight into Cairo than to ship by sea into Alexandria. The cost of shipping by air is initially higher, but it is probably wiser to ship by air from a customs standpoint.

Posts: 1626 | From: whatever, wherever | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
melissa87
Member # 17186

Rate Member
Thanks clear, yea its starting to look like there may not be much point in shipping stuff! pity :s
Clear and QSY
Member # 15597

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by melissa87:
wow i did some searches and its like 400 pounds plus! just for 1 box [Frown] does anyone know of a cheaper way of getting clothes etc into egypt?

If you have small quantities you can look into DHL. Otherwise I would advise you to try to find a freight forwarder in your country who may have a receiving agent in Cairo. Ship to the receiving agent and they will sometimes include the customs fee in the price they initially charge you. (They can calculate it in advance as long as you have a good detailed invoice of each item in the box and it's declared value.) Don't try to beat the system by declaring a lower value on the items. Even if the clothing is used, you should assess a value of what the item is worth at todays market value. If you declare low values, this may prompt customs to open the shipment and inspect each item and they will declare their own value. You might not be happy with the results if they declare the value for you.
melissa87
Member # 17186

Rate Member
having a look right now, thanks for help [Big Grin]
karim
Member # 3077

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for karim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Currently when traveling to or from most cities outside the United States you can check two bags, per passenger at no extra charge. For customers traveling between the U.S. or Canda and Europe customers in economy class will be charged $50 US (or the local equivalent currency) each way for the second checked bag.
karim
Member # 3077

Member Rated:
Travel within the United States, U.S. Virgin Islands, Canada*, and Puerto Rico Bag 1 $15
Bag 2 $25
Bag 3 $125
Bags 4-10 $200 each
Travel between Europe and the United States, U.S. Virgin Islands, Canada, and/or Puerto Rico. Note: Those transiting through the United States or Europe to a final destination outside of either will not be charged the second bag fee. (For example: Singapore to Lima, Peru with a stopover in Los Angeles, California) Bag 1 no fee
Bag 2 $50
Bag 3 $200
Bags 4-5 $350 each
Bags 6 - 10 $600 each
Travel outside the United States, U.S. Virgin Islands, Canada, and Puerto Rico, and Europe Bags 1-2 no fee
Bag 3 $200
Bags 4-5 $350 each
Bags 6 - 10 $600 each
Travel between the United States, U.S. Virgin Islands, Canada, and Puerto Rico, and Latin America (excluding Brazil)
For tickets purchased on or after September 19, 2009, for travel on or after October 13, 2009, there will be a $25 second bag fee. Bags 1-2 no fee
Bag 3 $200
Bags 4-5 $350 each
Bags 6 - 10 $600 each
Current Fees for all tickets purchased in Brazil and purchased in Japan for travel to and from Brazil;
71-100 lbs (33-45 kg) = $100; 62+ inches = $100 Bags 1-2 no fee
Bag 3-10 $75 each

karim
Member # 3077

Member Rated:
This was by Delta.
karim
Member # 3077

Member Rated:
This is by KLM

Discount on taking extra baggage

You can take more baggage with you than the standard amount. At the airport, you will pay an excess baggage fee when checking in your baggage. However, if you arrange this online in advance, we will give you a discount on this fee! When the weight concept applies, you pay 30% less. Under the piece concept, the discount is 20%.

Fee for each piece of baggage over and above the baggage you may take at no extra charge

Fee for a single ticket

Extra piece of baggage (all classes)
in addition to the two pieces allowed

EUR 200*

Different dimensions (all classes)
from 158 cm (62 inch) (l + w + h) to 406 cm (160 inches)

EUR 300

Excess weight (only Economy Class)
from 23 kg (50 lbs) to a maximum of 32 kg (70 lbs)

EUR 100**

Excess weight** (all classes)
from more than 32 kg (70 lbs)

Please contact Air France-KLM Cargo

*Exceptions:

For travel in Economy Class between Europe (including Algeria, Morocco and Tunisia) and the United States or Canada: you may bring only 1 piece free of charge. For a second piece you pay a fee of EUR 50 (USD 50 when departing the United States, CAD 50 when departing from Canada). For each additional piece, you pay the regular rate. As a Flying Blue Silver, Gold or Platinum member you may bring 2 pieces free of charge.

For World Business Class travellers and Flying Blue Silver, Gold or Platinum members: from Canada, a rate of CAD 200 will apply. For flights from Cuba and Mexico, a rate of USD 200 will apply.

** USD 100 when departing from the United States, or CAD 100 when leaving Canada.

*** With the exception of musical instruments: these may weigh a maximum of 46 kg 100 lbs).

For flights from other countries, if applicable the amounts in euro will be converted into local currency at the current exchange rate.

Where a number of fees apply for a piece of baggage, all of the relevant rates must be added together. However, the total charged for a piece of baggage will never exceed an amount of EUR 500.

Jake1081
Member # 17204

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jake1081   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
DOES NOT MATTER, PAY IT FOOL.
Posts: 9 | From: Arizona | Registered: Nov 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
melissa87
Member # 17186

Rate Member
? how does that not matter? theres a huge difference in the amount of money you could be paying
karim
Member # 3077

Member Rated:
It depends how much you pay.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com