EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Living in Egypt » The World's 10 FATTEST Countries includes Egypt, US, Germany and the UK

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: The World's 10 FATTEST Countries includes Egypt, US, Germany and the UK
_
Member # 3567

Rate Member
Icon 2 posted      Profile for _     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
1) American Samoa, 93.5 percent (of population that's overweight)

Traditionally, Pacific Islanders ate native foods high in complex carbohydrates and low in fat, such as bananas, yams, taro root, coconut and fish. Since World War II, an explosion of obesity on the islands has corresponded with a rise in migration to the U.S., New Zealand, France and Australia. That began to change dietary habits as family members abroad introduced those back home to Western eating and sent money home, giving locals the means to buy more food. Today, this six-island nation in the South Pacific Ocean tops the scales as one of the fattest in the world.

2) Kiribati, 81.5 percent

Between 1964 and 2001, food imports to the least developed Pacific nations, such as Kiribati, which comprises 33 islands clustered around the equator, increased six-fold, according to the Food and Agriculture Organisation, a United Nations agency established to fight world hunger. Those imports led to a huge influx in fatty food and processed meat, such as Spam and mutton flaps (fatty sheep scraps), often sold at lower prices than native food.

3) U.S., 66.7 percent

In the early 1960s, 24 percent of Americans were overweight. Today, two-thirds of Americans are too fat, and the numbers on the scale keep going up. Health experts attribute the rise to an over-production of oil, fat and sugar — the result of government farm subsidies started in the 1970s that made it much cheaper to manufacture products like high fructose corn syrup, a common ingredient in processed foods. “On top of that, investment policies changed in the early 1980s to require corporations to report growth to Wall Street every 90 days,” said Marion Nestle, a nutrition professor at New York University and author of the book “Food Politics.” “This made food companies seek new ways to market to the public. Obesity was collateral damage.”

4) Germany, 66.5 percent

When Germany found out that it was the fattest nation in Europe, health experts blamed the usual suspects: beer, fatty foods and lack of physical activity. Like the rest of the world, Germans are suffering from an easy availability of junk food and more sedentary jobs and lifestyles. As part of the government’s campaign to reduce obesity levels by 2020, it has launched programs to serve more fruits and vegetables in public schools.

5) Egypt, 66 percent

In the 1960s, Egypt produced enough food to feed its people a steady diet of red meat, poultry, lentils, maize and dairy products. But by the 1980s, the population had outgrown food production, leading to an increase in food imports that created poorer eating habits. Obesity among Egyptian women is particularly high, often attributed to cultural taboos on women exercising or playing sports.

6) Bosnia-Herzegovina, 62.9 percent

Once considered a problem only in high-income countries, obesity is dramatically on the rise in low- and middle-income countries like Bosnia-Herzegovina, where smoking, drinking and eating unhealthy foods spiked during the war that ravaged the country from 1992 to 1995. Those living just above the poverty line in developing countries are gaining weight the fastest, partly because of the tendency to fill up on cheap processed foods high in calories and low on nutritional value.

7) New Zealand, 62.7 percent

In a study at the University of Otago, researchers found that how much time New Zealand children spend watching television is a better predictor of obesity than what they eat or how much they exercise. The study found that 41 percent of the children who were overweight by age 26 were those who had watched the most TV. Television is not the only reason New Zealanders are gaining weight, but it’s one modern development often cited for growing childhood obesity.

8) Israel, 61.9 percent

In the past 30 years, the number of obese Israelis has tripled, evidence the country is truly part of the Western world. Like in most developed countries, flab is most prevalent among Israelis with less education, with Jewish women with college degrees having the lowest levels of obesity and Arab women with basic education having the highest.

9) Croatia, 61.4 percent

Croatia, where cardiovascular disease is the leading cause of death, is also a victim of the globalization of the food market, which tends to suppress traditional diets as cheaper processed foods from the U.S. and Europe flood store shelves. Unlike other Europeans, Croatian men have higher rates of obesity than Croatian women, and tend to get even fatter as they age. It’s no wonder that a Croatian charity announced in June that it had created the world’s largest pair of jeans — the size of six tennis courts — stitched together from 8,023 donated pairs of jeans.

10) United Kingdom, 61 percent

Last month, The Observer begrudgingly reported that the heaviest man in the world was not in the U.S., but a 48-year-old Brit living in low-incoming housing in Ipswich “eating takeaways and playing computer games.” His weight: 980 pounds. British bellies are expanding for the same reasons as everywhere else. A recent survey, however, ranked Brits among the bottom third of European nations in physical exercise, leading Health Secretary Andy Burnham to comment, "We're really in danger of being known as the best in the world for watching sport, but one of the worst for getting out there and doing it for ourselves."

http://www.globalpost.com/dispatch/commerce/091125/obesity-epidemic-fattest-countries

Posts: 30135 | From: The owner of this website killed ES....... | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
An Exercise in Futility
Member # 9889

Icon 1 posted      Profile for An Exercise in Futility         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I did a blog post about obesity in Egyptian women last year - something like 20 million Egyptian women are overweight and apparently around 15 years ago obese Egyptian women topped the obesity leagues (haven't checked up to date figures but it is probably not much different).

From what I have observed, here in Egypt, it doesn't seem to prevent women from pushing themselves forward in to high status jobs - doctors, professors and so forth, the way it does in the UK where fat women do not push temselves forward.

I was amazed a couple of summers ago when I taught summer school English for kids - the number of vastly overweight women (who made me look like a stick) in high status jobs bringing their kids along.

They would have been in a nylon overall working behind a checkout in the UK if they had jobs at all.

In the UK being fat is defines who you are and who you can be, whereas here, it's just one aspect of you and a not too important aspect at that.

Posts: 5593 | From: Egypt | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
* 7ayat *
Member # 7043

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for * 7ayat *     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I honestly don't know how Egyptians especially the women let themselves go like that. The only time I was overweight in my life, it was just about three kilos. I only realised after I returned from my first trip to Egypt and so the pics. I panicked, lost the three kilos and have been very careful since then. I like my weight to be around 53 kilos. If it goes to 54 I diet. That's how it should be. But then you've got Egyptian women who gain ten, and then another ten and then another ten and before you know it they are obese! Why do they let themselves go like that? It looks horrible and is extremely unhealthy!!!

I also noticed that even the thin Egyptian women are never toned and tend to be lumpy all over?? You notice it when you go to the beach and see how saggy everything is. Why? I honestly want to know why???

Posts: 4446 | From: Egyptian in Sydney | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
*Dalia*
Member # 13012

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for *Dalia*     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by * 7ayat *:

I also noticed that even the thin Egyptian women are never toned and tend to be lumpy all over??

I noticed that too. Many slim women, particularly young ones, have an awfully bad posture ... hanging shoulders etc.

That said, I've seen many perfectly toned Egyptian ladies at the gym, but I guess they are rather an exception.

I wasn't being aware that Germany was the fattest nation in Europe -- whoa! [Eek!] [Embarrassed]

Posts: 2803 | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
* 7ayat *
Member # 7043

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for * 7ayat *     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah they are definately the exception.

I've been to Germany and didn't notice that many overweight people, but that was ten years ago, so maybe things have changed! [Smile]

Posts: 4446 | From: Egyptian in Sydney | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cheekyferret
Member # 15263

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cheekyferret     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was told by an Egyptian man that he liked overweight women as it was a sign of wealth...

Wow, girls in my town must be rich beyond belief!!!

Posts: 11097 | From: Cairo | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LovedOne
Member # 10222

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LovedOne     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I wonder in Western countries why women are overweight, but it's not so hard to understand in a country like Egypt.
The gyms, as far as I can tell, are catering to men, though I know there are a few around for women.
Many women can't afford a gym. This is Egypt we're talking about here. This isn't a rich country.
They gain weight while pregnant and because of the food that seems typical here (fried and full of fat), just never lose it again.
Hard to get outside and exercise wearing abaya/niqab and such, and where would they go anyways? You can't exactly jog/run down most streets here, they're uneven and full of holes and garbage and crazy drivers.
Also, this country isn't focused like many Western countries on pushing the "skinny" agenda that makes even average weight people feel like they're fat and there's something wrong with them.

It makes me sad that they let their bodies go, and yet at the same time, it's refreshing that they don't seem to have the hangup on body image.

Posts: 1283 | From: Cairo | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cheekyferret
Member # 15263

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cheekyferret     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In England I guess folk are getting bigger as food is being made more and more convenient so busy folk eat on the go etc... I know in the UK at times I was so exhausted a microwave meal or a take out was the best option.

Here I eat much more healthily and I walk more as I have more free time...

I agree LO, it is sad to see them let themselves go but in reverese it is good to not see them having hangups about themselves. I think I am fat my Egyptian friends think I am perfect lol.. I love Egypt [Wink]

Posts: 11097 | From: Cairo | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
*Dalia*
Member # 13012

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for *Dalia*     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

I've been to Germany and didn't notice that many overweight people, but that was ten years ago, so maybe things have changed! [Smile]

No, I don't think things have changed a lot over the past decade.

I do see overweight people in Germany, of course. But I wasn't aware that the percentage was that high. [Frown]

Posts: 2803 | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bulldog
Member # 2721

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bulldog     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We like our food and won,t stave any time soon Tigerlilly. Time for another doughnut I think.
[Smile] [Smile] [Smile] [Smile]

Posts: 176 | From: United Kingdom | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
* 7ayat *
Member # 7043

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by LovedOne:
I wonder in Western countries why women are overweight, but it's not so hard to understand in a country like Egypt.
The gyms, as far as I can tell, are catering to men, though I know there are a few around for women.
Many women can't afford a gym. This is Egypt we're talking about here. This isn't a rich country.
They gain weight while pregnant and because of the food that seems typical here (fried and full of fat), just never lose it again.
Hard to get outside and exercise wearing abaya/niqab and such, and where would they go anyways? You can't exactly jog/run down most streets here, they're uneven and full of holes and garbage and crazy drivers.
Also, this country isn't focused like many Western countries on pushing the "skinny" agenda that makes even average weight people feel like they're fat and there's something wrong with them.

It makes me sad that they let their bodies go, and yet at the same time, it's refreshing that they don't seem to have the hangup on body image.

All you said is true, it is easy to be overweight in a country like Egypt where all the food is fatty and exercise is impossible except for a select few.

However, I've noticed that even the Egyptians here in Australia, who are born here and technically Aussie are still fat! And let me tell you something about Australians, they are obsessed with their health and fitness. The government has a lot of campaigns to encourage people to eat well and they do. The diet is great and exercise is encouraged and easy due to the beautiful landscape, abundance of parks and relatively good weather. Australia has a very very outdoorsy culture and people are mostly fit and healty. So why then are Egyptians who are born here so fat????

*Dalia*
Member # 13012

Member Rated:
quote:

All you said is true, it is easy to be overweight in a country like Egypt where all the food is fatty and exercise is impossible except for a select few.

I agree with what LovedOne said as well. However, it's not just a problem of class and money and being able to go the gym, but also of awareness. I noticed, for example, that there are many middle or upper class Egyptian men in their late twenties or early thirties who are already awfully obese. They don't move at all, they sit at the computer all day long, in their car, in the coffeeshop etc. They wouldn't even walk a few hundred meters but take the car instead. And they have no knowledge whatsoever about the basics of nutrition. They think koshary makes you fat but kebab, kufta, kebda and mokh are good for you.

In general, even very educated Egyptians are often very ignorant about food, health and related issues.

Btw., I don't think all Egyptian food is fatty or unhealthy, quite the opposite. A lot of the basic stuff -- like fuul, kushary, baladi bread, mahshi, salads, mezze -- is pretty healthy. It's the meat dishes and the sweets that tend to be fattening and unhealthy.
I eat Egyptian food all the time, lots of it, and I never gain weight.

That said, in Germany obesity is also often a problem of education and social class. People of low income and with a low educational standard suffer from obesity way more often than university-educated people, for example. Many of those people don't even know how to prepare dishes from scratch anymore. So they tend to buy convenience food and fast food, which not only is more expensive but also leads to obesity and health problems.

* 7ayat *
Member # 7043

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by *Dalia*:
quote:

I agree with what LovedOne said as well. However, it's not just a problem of class and money and being able to go the gym, but also of awareness. I noticed, for example, that there are many middle or upper class Egyptian men in their late twenties or early thirties who are already awfully obese. They don't move at all, they sit at the computer all day long, in their car, in the coffeeshop etc. They wouldn't even walk a few hundred meters but take the car instead. And they have no knowledge whatsoever about the basics of nutrition. They think koshary makes you fat but kebab, kufta, kebda and mokh are good for you.

In general, even very educated Egyptians are often very ignorant about food, health and related issues.

Btw., I don't think all Egyptian food is fatty or unhealthy, quite the opposite. A lot of the basic stuff -- like fuul, kushary, baladi bread, mahshi, salads, mezze -- is pretty healthy. It's the meat dishes and the sweets that tend to be fattening and unhealthy.
I eat Egyptian food all the time, lots of it, and I never gain weight.

That said, in Germany obesity is also often a problem of education and social class. People of low income and with a low educational standard suffer from obesity way more often than university-educated people, for example. Many of those people don't even know how to prepare dishes from scratch anymore. So they tend to buy convenience food and fast food, which not only is more expensive but also leads to obesity and health problems.

I agree with what you say about how ignorant the Egyptians are about basic nutrition. Until I moved to Australia I honestly didn't know that sugar was bad for children. Aussie women are quite strict with their kids' sugar intake, the kids rarely ever get sugary treats. Even things like juice is frowned upon.

Whereas in Egypt, kids get as much sugar as they want. My mom used to give me heaps of sweets when I was a school girl and all my friends came to school with their own huge supply. I notice that this trend continues with the new generation. But sugar does not only cause obesity in children but is actually not good for their sugar levels and hypes them up. But of course no one in Egypt is even aware of this!!! The worst case I saw was my aunt who used to bottle feed her baby coca cola [Eek!]

Clear and QSY
Member # 15597

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Clear and QSY     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

Until I moved to Australia I honestly didn't know that sugar was bad for children.

Wow! Really! I can't believe it. Well actually I can, I think 99% of the kids eat sugar and junk sweets more than 3 times a day. I could not believe what some of them would pack for lunch. 1 piece of bread and 3 chocolate bars. It is shocking that you admit as an adult you never knew it was bad for your kids, but if your mother did it to you and the habit never changed I guess you can't be blamed. I don't see that they get much education of the food groups and healthy eating habits. It's a shame really. I used to try to rescue apples and fruit off their trays in the cafeteria before they would hit the trash can. They would throw the fruit away and go buy chips and doritos and cadbury.
Posts: 1626 | From: whatever, wherever | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
* 7ayat *
Member # 7043

Rate Member
Clear, I don't have any kids, I was talking about my childhood [Smile]
Clear and QSY
Member # 15597

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Clear and QSY     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Clear, I don't have any kids, I was talking about my childhood [Smile]

Ok. I was talking about kids in general anyway. I can relate to the childhood bit anyway, because I can remember as a child being encouraged to scoop 3 spoons full of sugar on my corn flakes for breakfast. [Eek!] Come to think of it we added sugar to everything even orange juice. As an adult now I don't add sugar to anything anymore. Just the occassional coffee if it is too bitter and then I only use half a packet.
Posts: 1626 | From: whatever, wherever | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Clear and QSY
Member # 15597

Rate Member
I don't know how true this is, but actually I have heard that the whiter the sugar the worse it is. Like white powdered sugar used on pasteries and donuts is very bad. White refined sugar is worse than using brown sugar. However, using real sugar is much healthier than artifical sweetners and actually contains less calories.
_
Member # 3567

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for _     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
I wasn't being aware that Germany was the fattest nation in Europe -- whoa! [Eek!] [Embarrassed]

Yeah that's more than shocking. I wasn't aware of that fact either.
Posts: 30135 | From: The owner of this website killed ES....... | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
_
Member # 3567

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for _     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Clear and QSY:
However, using real sugar is much healthier than artifical sweetners and actually contains less calories.

That's def true.
*Dalia*
Member # 13012

Member Rated:
quote:

Until I moved to Australia I honestly didn't know that sugar was bad for children. Aussie women are quite strict with their kids' sugar intake, the kids rarely ever get sugary treats. Even things like juice is frowned upon.

It's the same in Germany. And when I was a kid, sweets were a rare treat, and we never had fizzy drinks at home. Now I'm glad I never got used to those things. I'm sure I have offended quite a few Egyptians who offered me Coke or Sprite, but I can't for the life of me get this stuff down, it's so disgustingly sweet.

quote:
Whereas in Egypt, kids get as much sugar as they want. My mom used to give me heaps of sweets when I was a school girl and all my friends came to school with their own huge supply. I notice that this trend continues with the new generation.

I've observed that too. Sad. [Frown]

quote:
I don't know how true this is, but actually I have heard that the whiter the sugar the worse it is. Like white powdered sugar used on pasteries and donuts is very bad. White refined sugar is worse than using brown sugar. However, using real sugar is much healthier than artifical sweetners and actually contains less calories.

... Curiously, most people believe that brown sugar is a healthier option than white sugar. Perhaps it is the look of brown sugar that has led people to this belief, or maybe it is clever marketing on behalf of food industries. In reality, a majority of brown sugar is simply refined white sugar that has had molasses added back into it to change its color. Tricky isn’t it?

When searching for a “healthier” brown sugar, it is important to look for ones that are unrefined, such as demerara or muscovado. Demerara is a traditional unrefined sugar with a sparkling appearance. This sugar is an excellent sweetener in coffee.

Other, more natural sweeteners that provide more minerals and vitamins than white sugar are:

Pure maple syrup
Barley malt
Rice syrup
Dates
Sucanat (granulated cane juice)

Another natural sweetening option is to use the no-calorie herb stevia. Stevia is an herb from Paraguay that is approximately 100 to 400 times sweeter than sugar. It can be purchased in most health food stores and is appropriate for cooking or baking. Some people report stevia having a slight licorice aftertaste. Baking successfully with stevia takes some practice. For more information, refer to The Stevia Cookbook by Ray Sahelian for more

http://www.truestarhealth.com/members/cm_archives12ML3P1A6.html

I rarely use sugar since I don't make deserts often, I only have it in the house for friends who need sugar in their coffee or tea. I usually buy stevia or granulated cane juice. Stevia is very expensive in Germany, but cheap in Egypt, btw.

Clear and QSY
Member # 15597

Rate Member
quote:

When searching for a “healthier” brown sugar, it is important to look for ones that are unrefined, such as demerara or muscovado. Demerara is a traditional unrefined sugar with a sparkling appearance. This sugar is an excellent sweetener in coffee.

I rarely use sugar since I don't make deserts often, I only have it in the house for friends who need sugar in their coffee or tea. I usually buy stevia or granulated cane juice. Stevia is very expensive in Germany, but cheap in Egypt, btw.

That's the brown sugar I was talking about as well. The unrefined one that looks like sand. Used most commonly for cooking and baking as opposed to sweetening drinks. Not the stuff they have in packets at Costa marked "Brown Sugar" is just white refined crystals that are colored brown.

I have a funny story about Stevia:

A man and a woman came in to my work about 5 years ago and ordered 2 cups of coffee. I brought their coffee to the table while her husband was in the restroom. I watched her take a small bottle with a liquid dropper out of her purse and proceed to place s few drops into her husband's coffee cup and quickly put the bottle back in her bag. I asked her jokingly what that was because I thought maybe she was trying to poison him [Eek!] . She told me it was liquid Stevia and then gave me a drop to taste. It was my first time to see it or hear of it.

_
Member # 3567

Rate Member
I am sure you were getting ready to call 911, weren't you?? [Big Grin] Lol but don't worry I would have been very suspicious too!!!
*Dalia*
Member # 13012

Member Rated:
quote:

I watched her take a small bottle with a liquid dropper out of her purse and proceed to place s few drops into her husband's coffee cup and quickly put the bottle back in her bag. I asked her jokingly what that was because I thought maybe she was trying to poison him [Eek!]

[Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]
An Exercise in Futility
Member # 9889

Icon 1 posted      Profile for An Exercise in Futility         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's true about the sugar here in Egypt. For example, it is impossible to buy an unsweetened fruit squash powder here (and no liquid ones available either). They are all Tang or similar - if you make a glass up, there is about an inch of sugar left in the bottom. Hyper1 used to do a sugar free powder but presumably it didn't sell well because they stopped it.

The Cadbury's Dairy Milk chocolate made here under licence is sweeter than what we get in the UK.

Kids here seem to have a non-stop diet of fizzy sugary pop(soda), sweets and grease!

I guess we did in the UK back in the 60s but like so many things that were 'normal' back in the UK 60s and are still 'normal' here in Egypt, there has been so much change in the UK over the past 30 years that we forget.

I suppose I should thank my parents for always being on the poor side because in my family sweets were a treat for either after Sunday Lunch or if grandparents came visiting, and POP was for Easter and Christmas only. I was so jealous of other kids whose parents gave them a non-stop supply of sweets, crisps and pop.

Posts: 5593 | From: Egypt | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
karim
Member # 3077

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for karim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
True because they think they will feel more warmer with big fat woman hehe.

quote:
Originally posted by Cheekyferret:
I was told by an Egyptian man that he liked overweight women as it was a sign of wealth...

Wow, girls in my town must be rich beyond belief!!!

Posts: 1226 | From: Egypt | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Egmond Codfried
Member # 15683

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Egmond Codfried   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
I was told by an Egyptian man that he liked overweight women as it was a sign of wealth... Wow, girls in my town must be rich beyond belief!!!

This is a another plus for Egyptian man, they really dig women. The more of a women the more they like. A real women must have some meat on het bones, me thinks. The man who want skinny women are really looking for a man, no? Without hips or titties. Fat women from the whole world should take their big ass to Egypt and find husbands who really appreciate womenhood. I do not like skinny bitches and we are dealing with a potential anorexic case over here with her 54 kilo nonsense. You live, you eat, you bloat, you die.
Posts: 5454 | From: Holland | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
* 7ayat *
Member # 7043

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by Egmond Codfried:
quote:
I was told by an Egyptian man that he liked overweight women as it was a sign of wealth... Wow, girls in my town must be rich beyond belief!!!

This is a another plus for Egyptian man, they really dig women. The more of a women the more they like. A real women must have some meat on het bones, me thinks. The man who want skinny women are really looking for a man, no? Without hips or titties. Fat women from the whole world should take their big ass to Egypt and find husbands who really appreciate womenhood. I do not like skinny bitches and we are dealing with a potential anorexic case over here with her 54 kilo nonsense. You live, you eat, you bloat, you die.
The problem is some people mistake being curvy with being fat. You can have, titties and nice hips and still be trim and toned. Being overweight is not healthy, the same as being underweight. At the end of the day though, people should do what makes them feel comfortable and happy.
*Dalia*
Member # 13012

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by Egmond Codfried:

I do not like skinny bitches and we are dealing with a potential anorexic case over here with her 54 kilo nonsense.

[Roll Eyes] [Roll Eyes] [Roll Eyes]
* 7ayat *
Member # 7043

Rate Member
Lol I am 53 Kilos and I am not anorexic at all! I am healthy and fit. Some people are weird!
Exiiled
Member # 17278

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Exiiled     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Egypt is a country that revolves around aish, rice, macrona and fino. Just like every country actually but less emphasis is placed on protein and other nutrients because of the cost. Considering the economic situation they are doing fine.

The problem is parents sending kids to school with like 6 finos (and we all know egyptian fino bread is sugary). So basically it starts from there, carbs are great, but too much of them and the body starts to store them as fat. This is what is happening in Egypt. The emphasis of an Egyptian meal is to be full and not on nutrition.

And in Egypt's situation it comes down to money, they simple do not have enough money for 3 balanced meals a day. Other nations don't have this excuse they just let their over indulgence of food take over.

In all my life I have never seen pasta/rice eaten in a pita bread with the exception of Egypt. This is the face of poverty. And people who say well they eat fuuul, which is protein. Yeah whatever, read the make up of fava beans, they to are also mostly carbs! A bag of fuuul is so watered down it is not funny and 1 bag shared by a family usually has like 20 pita breads dipping in it. The ratio of carbs/protein/fats in an average Egyptian diet is so lopsided that is it is crazy. Alhamdulilah for the reasonably priced feta cheese or calcium intake would be nonexistent.

Posts: 2275 | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
samaka
Member # 9228

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for samaka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The daily menu for an International school here in Cairo.... sandwiches and chips. [Frown]
Posts: 588 | From: an oasis near the pyramids | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
* 7ayat *
Member # 7043

Rate Member
There is nothing wrong with Carbs. You gain weight because of the amount of calories you are eating. It doesn't matter if they are from carbs, protein or fat. However, it is always good to have a balanced diet. But, how can the Egyptians have that, when they are so poor and can't afford meat, or alot of the healthy foods?
Exiiled
Member # 17278

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Exiiled     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by samaka:
The daily menu for an International school here in Cairo.... sandwiches and chips. [Frown]

That's for an international school. Imagine how disproportionate the calorie intake is for students in public schools. A typical meal for an Egyptian is something like this. Pita bread/fuuul/tea for breakfast, koshari for lunch, pasta with tomato sauce for dinner. This in addition to several cups of tea, each with 1 tablespoon of sugar. It is all Carbs. You have to have an absolutely busy schedule to burn all those carbs or else they will be stored as fat. Most Egyptians especially females do not have enough muscle mass which exacerbates the situation. They consume too many carbs and their bodies can't burn that much. It's also one of the reasons why diabetes is so prevalent amongst 40+ year olds.
Posts: 2275 | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Exiiled
Member # 17278

Rate Member
quote:
There is nothing wrong with Carbs. You gain weight because of the amount of calories you are eating. It doesn't matter if they are from carbs, protein or fat. However, it is always good to have a balanced diet. But, how can the Egyptians have that, when they are so poor and can't afford meat, or alot of the healthy foods?

There is nothing wrong with carbs. But there is something wrong with the type of carbs we consume. One person could eat 1500 calories of pita bread/white rice and another person could eat 1500 calories of whole wheat pasta/wheat rice.

The person who ate the high glycemic carbs is sure to gain weight faster than the person who ate the slower buring carbs. That's how the metabolism works, it burns hi-glycemic carbs much faster. And when it does if you are not active then it becomes stored fat.

Sashyra8
Member # 14488

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sashyra8     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Exiiled:
quote:

There is nothing wrong with carbs. But there is something wrong with the type of carbs we consume. One person could eat 1500 calories of pita bread/white rice and another person could eat 1500 calories of whole wheat pasta/wheat rice.

The person who ate the high glycemic carbs is sure to gain weight faster than the person who ate the slower buring carbs. That's how the metabolism works, it burns hi-glycemic carbs much faster. And when it does if you are not active then it becomes stored fat.

Totally truth what Exiiled mentions.
There are carbs and then there are carbs.One thing are complex carbohydrates,those are the good,healthy ones that provide us the quick energy needed for our muscles to work,and then there are the refined carbohydrates.Those are the ugly ones that are found in most processed foods.
Foods with low glycemic index,and thus complex carbohydrates are fruits,veggies,oats bran,high fiber rice, most wheat products,nuts,and others.
The ugly kids of refined carbs are found in plain white bread,sweets,sugary drinks....etc.as an example.

Posts: 3833 | From: here,there,everywhere | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dzosser
Member # 9572

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dzosser   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What ugly kids Sashy.. [Confused] huh ??
Posts: 3219 | From: Wisdom comes with age, but sometimes age comes alone. | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
*Dalia*
Member # 13012

Member Rated:
quote:
Lol I am 53 Kilos and I am not anorexic at all! I am healthy and fit.

I'm around 55 kg (and 173 cms) and I'm healthy and fit too and certainly don't look anorectic. [Roll Eyes] I've never been on a diet, and I'm always around the same weight, whether I eat a lot or less, whether I exercise or not ... it just seems to be the weight my body wants to be.
Sashyra8
Member # 14488

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sashyra8     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Dzosser:

Refined carbohydrates can be described as "ugly" because they are not beneficial to health,unlike the complex carbohydrates i mentioned above.
Posts: 3833 | From: here,there,everywhere | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sashyra8
Member # 14488

Rate Member
quote:

Ugly kid you during your childhood. [Razz]

*runs to hide away*

Dzosser
Member # 9572

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dzosser   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You must be very thin Sashy, since you know all this stuff about staying healthy. [Frown]

*waves a white Toblerone @ anorexic Sashy*

Posts: 3219 | From: Wisdom comes with age, but sometimes age comes alone. | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
An Exercise in Futility
Member # 9889

I have anorexia - I look in the mirror and see a fat person ;(

(PS this is a jest and apologies in advance if I have inadvertently offended anyone.)

Sashyra8
Member # 14488

Rate Member
quote:
You must be very thin Sashy, since you know all this stuff about staying healthy. [Frown]

*anorexic Sashy kicks Dzosser in the knee,and dissapears behind a sand dune*
Dzosser
Member # 9572

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by Sashyra8:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Dzosser:

*anorexic Sashy kicks Dzosser in the knee,and dissapears behind a sand dune*

Ouchhh [Eek!] That was close.. [Roll Eyes] [Wink]

* 7ayat *
Member # 7043

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by Sashyra8:
quote:
Originally posted by Exiiled:
quote:

Totally truth what Exiiled mentions.
There are carbs and then there are carbs.One thing are complex carbohydrates,those are the good,healthy ones that provide us the quick energy needed for our muscles to work,and then there are the refined carbohydrates.Those are the ugly ones that are found in most processed foods.
Foods with low glycemic index,and thus complex carbohydrates are fruits,veggies,oats bran,high fiber rice, most wheat products,nuts,and others.
The ugly kids of refined carbs are found in plain white bread,sweets,sugary drinks....etc.as an example.

I think Low GI carbs are best. No need to avoid Carbs since they are a vital source of energy for the body and the brain, which uses 30% of our daily intake. So just choose the good carbs.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com