EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Living in Egypt » Eating habits (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Eating habits
longusername
Member # 1428

Rate Member
Icon 11 posted      Profile for longusername     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi All,

Hope you are well.

I am a non-muslim Briton living with muslims. They are refusing to let me cook suasages or bacon even when there is no-one else in the kitchen. What do you think? Should I be able to?

best, LUN

Posts: 94 | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cheekyferret
Member # 15263

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cheekyferret     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Question... where are you getting bacon and sausage from? I want some.

I personally would respect the house that I lived in. If it is your house, cook away. If you live with them, then abide by their rules and respect them.

Posts: 11097 | From: Cairo | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mynameisthis
Member # 17234

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mynameisthis         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No, they stink.You may be used to the smell but the are not.
Posts: 1044 | Registered: Nov 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
longusername
Member # 1428

Rate Member
Icon 9 posted      Profile for longusername     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks,

It is neither of our houses. It is a shared house. I have lived here for about five years and they have only been here about six months to a year. There is one other guy who has been here longer than I have, but he doesn't care, even though he is a muslim, as long as I close the door to the kitchen and open the wondow. When I first moved in he was the only muslim.

Best,
LUN

Posts: 94 | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
_
Member # 3567

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for _     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You know stop living with Muslims if you can't agree on certain things. Why the hassle????

I knew a German lady who married an Egyptian Muslim and before they got hitched he respected her rights to sausages and bacon. After they signed the marriage papers he told her to use a different frying pan for her meat. After a good year he banned pork meat altogether from their home.

So you see. People are tolerant more or less in their faith. Pork meat is haram in Islam so you gotta accept that and don't complain - or simply look for other roommates.

Posts: 30135 | From: The owner of this website killed ES....... | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cheekyferret
Member # 15263

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cheekyferret     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ah if you are all just renting and they moved in last I would tell em to eff off. They are happy to live with you even though you are not married which is wrong but won't let you eat pork.

Double standards.

We cook pork in our apartment and no one else in the building minds...

Posts: 11097 | From: Cairo | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
longusername
Member # 1428

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for longusername     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks Cheekyfreert,

I didnīt know they couldnīt live with unmarried males. Interesting.

And thanks Tigerlily,

The problem with moving is Iīve got a good deal here and have just moved into a bigger room and put up new shelves and stuff.

Also, thereīs really only one muslim guy trying to organize all the others, as far as I can tell. Only he has every complained and he does so in the name of "all". I find that offensive.

One muslim guy, M, didnīt even know whether the sausages were beef or pork. I get along with him real well. We resolve any cultural differences by negotiation and with good will. Itīs the arrogant one trying to order me about that drives me to distraction.

The choice really is between cooking in my room or continuing in the kitchen somehow. Bedrooms are really not for cooking in though, are they? What a horrible way to live.

Oh well.

I really appreciate hearing your thoughts and feelings on this.

LUN

* 7ayat *
Member # 7043

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for * 7ayat *     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
longusername, they have no right to tell you what to cook or not to cook especially since it is a shared house. Cook what you want.
Posts: 4446 | From: Egyptian in Sydney | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
*Dalia*
Member # 13012

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for *Dalia*     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I also think you should be able to cook what you want. Telling a roommate not to cook pork at all seems quite extreme to me, there is nothing in the Qur'an that says it should be forbidden to be around people who cook or eat it.

That said, consideration and communication is important when living together. So you should not use their pots and pans for your pork ... but I assume you wouldn't do that anyway. And maybe you guys could reach an agreement on the timing, for example that you don't cook pork at the same time they are also in the kitchen cooking dinner.

I am a vegetarian and it would never occur to me to tell a roommate not to cook meat, although the smell and sight of meat does disgust me. But, hey, if you open the window and keep your dishes and kitchen clean, that is not really a problem.

To be honest, I don't really believe the argument about the smell, sounds to me rather like a case of looking down on infidels who eat "yucky pork" ...

Posts: 2803 | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
nevermind
Member # 6674

Icon 1 posted      Profile for nevermind     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It is interesting btw that pork indeed is smelly here in Egypt, must be down to what the pigs are eating (or what they were eating when were still alive :-/ ). Especially in the hot season. My husband, christian btw, also they do not eat pork, i.e. they do not like pork especially and consider it kind of impure, too, so it is one of those geographical-cultural things rather than religious. Or a heavy muslim influence on everything here around, difficult to say, which. [Smile] Ok, so hubby said if you keep veal in fridge for say 2-3 days, much nothing happens to it. If you keep pork, it gets smelly on 2nd or 3rd day.

Anyway, it is quite clear you are what you eat so if pigs here eat rubbish, the meat probably would have some traces of whatever the contents are.
On the other hand, a lot is probably imported, esp. now.

A second problem here is it is always easier to protect your "rights" if you have a clear name for them, like religions usually do. "Democracy" or "freedom" or whatever our advanced western values are, simply are not as clear concepts as islam is, or at least there are no clearly worded do-s and do not-s. So it is more hard to be affirmative of own values but nevertheless - we should not hesitate standing for those values that are every bit as respectable as a Muslim's or another religiously affiliated person's values. Respect yourself and hold your values high, yourself, then others follow you, right?

Posts: 1051 | From: Menoufeya | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cheekyferret
Member # 15263

Rate Member
Sorry, I did assume you were a woman... no reason other than there aren't many men on here. [Big Grin]

They live with a Westerner, they should just learn to deal with it.

OR

Tell them you will not cook the pork but you will also contribute less rent as you have less rights then they do so they should cough up.

I know couple of egyptians who flat share with westerners and they each respect each other. You both have equal rights, it isn't like you are forcing them to bloody eat the stuff.

[Big Grin]

Miss Daisy
Member # 17494

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Miss Daisy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
But where are you getting your sausages and bacon????
Posts: 17 | From: cairo | Registered: Feb 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Exiiled
Member # 17278

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Exiiled     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by longusername:
Thanks,

It is neither of our houses. It is a shared house. I have lived here for about five years and they have only been here about six months to a year. There is one other guy who has been here longer than I have, but he doesn't care, even though he is a muslim, as long as I close the door to the kitchen and open the wondow. When I first moved in he was the only muslim.

Best,
LUN

You've been living in the house 5 years, and the latest tenants 6 months?! Have you cooked pork before they arrived? I think it has more to do with walkalloverme demeanor than them. Dude there is a thing called seniority! Don't be a doormat, educate yourself in this very situation and you can confront anyone that approaches you. Now go eat your nasty Egyptian bacon in peace.
Posts: 2275 | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
_
Member # 3567

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for _     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It has nothing to do to 'protect your own rights and freedom' or whatsorever when wanting to eat pork in a primarily Muslim household.

Out of respect you should not do it. Go to Maison Thomas or another place where you can indulge happily in your sausages and bacon.

I mean I know more than enough Muslims who just start to shudder when they hear the word 'pork'.

Now do you have any other problems with your roommate(s)?? Are you drinking alcohol in the household or do you have frequently girls over??

These examples could become issues.

Posts: 30135 | From: The owner of this website killed ES....... | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cheekyferret
Member # 15263

Rate Member
I agree with exiiled, don't be a doormat. They moved in with you!! Why should you change???

They sell pork here so it really is no big deal.

Sashyra8
Member # 14488

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sashyra8     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ļ....Now go eat your nasty Egyptian bacon in peace. Ļ

[Big Grin]

Posts: 3833 | From: here,there,everywhere | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
longusername
Member # 1428

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for longusername     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Many thanks to all who have responded.

Special thanks to Tigerlily who writes:

It has nothing to do to 'protect your own rights and freedom' or whatsorever when wanting to eat pork in a primarily Muslim household.

Out of respect you should not do it.

I guess my question would be "Why should my enjoyment of life be constrained by someone else's religious belief when I am causing them no harm?"

Best Wishes,
LUN

*Dalia*
Member # 13012

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for *Dalia*     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Tigerlily:

It is his household as well. And from a religious point of view there is absolutely nothing wrong with it.

Again, that would be like saying you should not cook meat if you are co-habitating with vegetarians. Would you endorse that as well?

quote:
I mean I know more than enough Muslims who just start to shudder when they hear the word 'pork'.

And many non-Muslims shudder when they hear the words kibda or fried testicles. So if his roommates decide to cook some of that stuff, should he also not allow them to do it? Or do preferences only count if there is a religion-related reason for them?

There are also Muslims who forbid their children from playing with stuffed piglets. And in some countries even pictures of pigs in children's books are removed. None of that has anything to do with Islam, that's extremism -- just like forbidding your roommate to cook pork.

Posts: 2803 | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cheekyferret
Member # 15263

Rate Member
Extremism.. bezapt.
_
Member # 3567

Rate Member
Eating pork infront of a Muslim is like drinking alcohol infront of him. Both of these things are forbidden in Islam.

So why trying to cause trouble if you know - and I mean you live now for years in Egypt - that could lead to squabbles??

Clearly upon interviewing your roommates you failed to address the particular issue that you are consuming pork. Now there is two options: You eat your pork somewhere else or your one roommate has to find a new place since you are living there for the longest time.

Btw I would like to know why do you share your apartment only with Muslims. Is it a co-incidence or are you trying to get to know better the language and Islamic lifestyle??

Have you thought about sharing your place with perhaps another Briton or Westerner so you can enjoy everything what you like?

quote:
I guess my question would be "Why should my enjoyment of life be constrained by someone else's religious belief when I am causing them no harm?"

Define harm. Of course you don't harm them physically but spiritually.

You know I am German, Germans are known in general to consume lots of pork. I eat it but I def would not eat it if I had to live with Muslims. Even if they stated in the beginning perhaps out of politeness they wouldn't have any issue with it.

I lived long enough in Egypt to know what's right and wrong - simply to avoid any kind of trouble.

_
Member # 3567

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by *Dalia*:

Again, that would be like saying you should not cook meat if you are co-habitating with vegetarians. Would you endorse that as well?

Excellent question which I just ask myself. First of all I would not share a place with a vegetarian because in the longer run this issue could become complicated. Using the same cooking utensils, the smell etc.

Again people in the beginning during interviews are all polite to each other and say they won't mind certain things but truly living together makes the difference.

And if I was a die-hard vegetarian, a member of PETA and would feel disgust about meat in general I'd opt to live with another vegetarian. In this way we could even cook together, exchange recipes etc. and I wouldn't have to endure the sight of raw meat pieces or stuffed turkey any longer. So it would be a win-win situation.

'Shahrazat
Member # 12769

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 'Shahrazat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Eating pork infront of a Muslim is like drinking alcohol infront of him. Both of these things are forbidden in Islam.

No Tiger, lets say pork is something worse for Muslims. All hotels sell alcohol but none cooks pork here as all supermarkets sell alcohol but only Carrefour sells pork.
Almost half of the Turkish population don't mind drinking alcohol but none eats pork. I know only few people don't mind eating it (and they eat it when they travel abroad).

Posts: 2591 | From: **Ex Oriente Lux** | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
* 7ayat *
Member # 7043

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for * 7ayat *     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
OH BS Tiger, neither drinking alcohol nor eating pork infront of Muslims is forbidden. You listen too much to the fanatics.
Posts: 4446 | From: Egyptian in Sydney | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
*Dalia*
Member # 13012

Member Rated:
quote:

Yes, but it is not forbidden to be around someone who eats pork. Even if you follow conservative teachings of Islam, it doesn't make sense since Muslims are allowed to marry Christians for whom pork is not forbidden.

I am very much in favour of respecting other people's faith, but saying that a non-Muslim should not be allowed to eat pork in the presence of a Muslim just doesn't make sense.

quote:
Excellent question which I just ask myself. First of all I would not share a place with a vegetarian because in the longer run this issue could become complicated. Using the same cooking utensils, the smell etc.

And if I was a die-hard vegetarian, a member of PETA and would feel disgust about meat in general I'd opt to live with another vegetarian. In this way we could even cook together, exchange recipes etc. and I wouldn't have to endure the sight of raw meat pieces or stuffed turkey any longer. So it would be a win-win situation.

Wow, and I thought I was a die-hard vegetarian. [Big Grin]

Seriously, I believe you are making this more complicated than it is.

As I said, I had roommates in the past, and this has never been an issue. We did cook together and exchange recipes. Even meat lovers don't live on meat alone, you know. [Wink] Oh, and one of my roommates cooked a great vegetarian mulukhyia for me.

My sister is a veggie too, her husband loves meat. They don't have any problems with that at all. Really, it is not as complicated as you make it out to be. [Wink]

nevermind
Member # 6674

Icon 1 posted      Profile for nevermind     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Fair is, that either party does how they please, but refrains from trying to enforce own habits to the other party. Who eats pork, eats pork, and who does not, does not. And that's it. The muslims, or one of them, are clearly stepping over the line of respectful co-existence here. Equal behaviour (please especially Tigerlily note it down) from LUN would be, if he made the muslim guy, who is trying to pressurise him to refrain from pork, sit down and share his pork meal with him, EVERY TIME HE PREPARES AND EATS IT. That would be an equal case of forcing your own habits on someone else, like said muslims here are trying to do.

Perhaps you should all sit down and discuss it until you have these lines clear. If they do not overstep (=let you eat your pork in all peace), you do not overstep (=do not force pork down their throats). The problem is if one grows up as muslim in a country where the majority and most rules are muslim, they are used to being the sole unerring authority. But that is not so, as soon as they need to face the rest of the world! Someone needs to open their eyes in that respect. Interesting situation, and so real.. Wish you all well and lots of stamina, longusername! [Smile] Get them to respect you! the world will win from that.

Posts: 1051 | From: Menoufeya | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
_
Member # 3567

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by 'Shahrazat:
quote:

No Tiger, lets say pork is something worse for Muslims. All hotels sell alcohol but none cooks pork here as all supermarkets sell alcohol but only Carrefour sells pork.
Almost half of the Turkish population don't mind drinking alcohol but none eats pork. I know only few people don't mind eating it (and they eat it when they travel abroad).

I didn't get your point thoroughly but alcohol is sold in hotels mainly for foreigners - I am speaking about Egypt not Turkey. Some of the more Western places I went to in the past also would serve alcohol to locals but def in the Ramadan time alcohol would be 'off-limits' for them.

Although in both countries Christians are the minority religion pork meat is still sold in some places which shows a certain tolerance level.

If some Muslims are fond of alcohol and/or pork meat its solely their choice but the majority will not consume either and you always have to keep that in mind.

If I was to invite Muslims for dinner to my house I'd def would not put a platter of porkchops on the table or ask them if they would prefer Whiskey over a beer because I like it like that. I hope you got my point.

_
Member # 3567

Rate Member
Dalia, many vegetarians can be just as bad as Muslims with strong believes and the vegans are truly hardliners.

"How can you just eat that (meat)?" or "You kill animals to eat them?", "You not wearing real leather, do you???" etc. etc. [Roll Eyes]

The funny thing is humans hunted animals for consumption since the very beginning and in many countries to eat meat means status.

And no of course usually meat eaters don't eat only meat; I never stated that. Our family eats basically everything (except certain seafood) - we are 'easy' when it comes to food.

*Dalia*
Member # 13012

Member Rated:
quote:
Dalia, many vegetarians can be just as bad as Muslims with strong believes and the vegans are truly hardliners.

"How can you just eat that (meat)?" or "You kill animals to eat them?", "You not wearing real leather, do you???" etc. etc. [Roll Eyes]

To be honest, I have never encountered that attitude at all ... and I know many vegetarians. I have often experienced though that people start mocking or criticizing you if they learn that you don't eat meat. [Frown]

I would never ask anyone those questions or criticize their choice of food. Usually, I only talk about the subject when someone else starts it.

Btw., I am almost a vegan ... so I guess I'm a hardliner as well. [Big Grin]

_
Member # 3567

Rate Member
Well your decision will leave more milk and eggs to the Egyptians.
Dzosser
Member # 9572

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dzosser   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
@ longusername..If I were to cohabit with someone, I'd definitely make sure we'd both agree on basic rules, like cleanliness, smoking habits, bringing in folks that misbehave and become a pain in da azz, respect for others' privacy and stuff like that..however I think in case of living with Muslims I'd go by the saying 'When in Rome, do as the Romans do'..don't do the things they don't like..BTW pork in Egypt is health hazardous, they feed them pigs garbage and sh it..you wanna eat that ?? [Confused]

Then why move in with Muslims to begin with ? They're fvcking boring.. praying all day, during Ramadan you get one whole month of do's and do not's..no booze, nothing. [Frown]

You been on this forum since 2002.. [Eek!] what were you doing ever since ? You must've seen fire and rain throughout those 8 years of ES, sunny days too probably.. [Cool] how come you didn't post much.. [Big Grin]

Posts: 3219 | From: Wisdom comes with age, but sometimes age comes alone. | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
'Shahrazat
Member # 12769

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 'Shahrazat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by 'Shahrazat:
quote:

I didn't get your point thoroughly but alcohol is sold in hotels mainly for foreigners - I am speaking about Egypt not Turkey.
My reason for replying your post is, your making a generalization ;
'Eating pork infront of a Muslim is like drinking alcohol infront of him. Both of these things are forbidden in Islam.'

Posts: 2591 | From: **Ex Oriente Lux** | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Exiiled
Member # 17278

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Exiiled     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Many thanks to all who have responded.

Special thanks to Tigerlily who writes:

Out of respect you should not do it.

Best Wishes,
LUN

Stop Whining. Members here gave you 'advice' on your situation but you opted for a passive answer. Members here are obviously over analyzing and missing the point like you have. It is not about anyone but YOU and certainly not about extremism. You have lived in the house for 5 years, and the person who precedes you doesn't object to you eating pork nor do the newest tenants.

The only thing between you and oink oink bliss is your doormat attitude. You are being intimated by a bully, it's as simple as that, and you have obviously failed in communication. Simply cook your bacon and when approached by the bully, tell him that the other tenants have no problem with you cooking bacon. Also tell him that you are not a Muslim and you are entitled to eat as you wish. Tell him you are cooking in private, using your own skillet and dishes.

Stand up for yourself, do it smartly, garner the support of the rest of the tenants and let it be known that you have lived there for 5 years and never without any problems. Good Luck.

Posts: 2275 | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tina m
Member # 13845

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for tina m     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Cheekyferret:
Ah if you are all just renting and they moved in last I would tell em to eff off. They are happy to live with you even though you are not married which is wrong but won't let you eat pork.

Double standards.

We cook pork in our apartment and no one else in the building minds...

haha cas they probably smell how good it smells and wishing they could have some haram oink oink....but be careful where u buy yr pork some pork smell like mens hairy balls. thats gross.
Posts: 9776 | From: You like If only mosquitoes sucked fat instead of blood. | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cheekyferret
Member # 15263

Rate Member
All pork here is bad... WTF. We had some lush stuff yesterday and my Muslim mate didn't even comment! Bacon smells in all countries, it is called bacon smell pmsl.

Yet another ES story dramatically blown out of proportion. Fcuk 'when in Rome', unless you pay local rates in taxis etc and at market stalls... if they wanna treat you different, then act different [Big Grin]

I know Muslims who drink (more than us Brits, drunks lol) it is not a big deal in Egypt, you are not in the strictest of countries for shite like this, it is so slack and relaxed it is pretty much like being in the UK.

Just eat the frigging stuff man. Wait till next week when your place smells like shite fish and you have to endure it smelling the same outside!

I am allergic to fish and loathe the smell but I don't have a girly hissy fit and start crying about it when I see or smell it.

DRAMA

*Dalia*
Member # 13012

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by Exiiled:

oink oink bliss

[Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]
tina m
Member # 13845

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for tina m     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
All pork here is bad... WTF. We had some lush stuff yesterday and my Muslim mate didn't even comment! Bacon smells in all countries, it is called bacon smell pmsl.

Yet another ES story dramatically blown out of proportion. Fcuk 'when in Rome', unless you pay local rates in taxis etc and at market stalls... if they wanna treat you different, then act different [Big Grin]

I know Muslims who drink (more than us Brits, drunks lol) it is not a big deal in Egypt, you are not in the strictest of countries for shite like this, it is so slack and relaxed it is pretty much like being in the UK.

Just eat the frigging stuff man. Wait till next week when your place smells like shite fish and you have to endure it smelling the same outside!

I am allergic to fish and loathe the smell but I don't have a girly hissy fit and start crying about it when I see or smell it.

DRAMA

girl i know what ya mean when i was with my ex he always cooked carp ooo thats sooo stanky.. and goat that friggin meat stinks far worse than pigs. goats smell gamy and that gross..i always said i dont give a damn what u eat as long as i do not have to smell it. hahaha i despize goat meat and deer. so needless to say it was never cooked in my house again. screw that. makes yr clothes and everything smell gamy. now pork the smell goes away. but who doesnt like the smell of a good honey glazed ham?
Posts: 9776 | From: You like If only mosquitoes sucked fat instead of blood. | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cheekyferret
Member # 15263

Rate Member
It is just a reason to whine eh... it is only food and it is only a smell... it isn't like folk are tying them to the chair and force feeding them...

I HATE the smell of liver cooking... makes me retch!

Personal choice and preference to eat what you please, where you please and when you please should not be compromised for anyone.

I didn't like that they ate dogs in Ghana but who died and made me the food police, I just gotta accept that's what they wanted for their dinner.

In all my years in Egypt I have never been griped at for eating pork... longusername. If you do as they request then the next thing you know they will be telling you that they you aren't allowed toilet roll in the toilet!

Oh and finally, Egyptians eat pigeons all the time... hands up those who have seen pigeons eating out of rubbish heaps! I saw one eating the chunks out of vomit once. But hey, they are deemed as clean to eat! Madness.

LovedOne
Member # 10222

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LovedOne     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Because the pot hasn't been stirred quite enough...... [Wink]

Actually, pork is haram for Christians too, they just don't know it or follow it.

And, what's with all the selfish "I'm the only one that counts and screw anyone else and what they believe" attitude here? What's wrong with showing a little compassion? That doesn't make someone a doormat. It makes them understanding and less egotistical.

It might be pushy for the Muslim living in the house who is trying to say that LUN can't eat pork, but you know what? You are all espousing the same attitude as the person you're condemning.

And yes, pigs eat garbage. Which means if you ingest the local pork, you're eating what they ate.
Yes people eat pigeon here, but if you're eating it at a restaurant then I'm at least hoping they aren't fed garbage like the pigs are. Sure pigeons on the street eat garbage, but I don't think most people are eating pigeons off the street. At least not the people posting here on ES. [Razz]

Now, carry on! [Big Grin]

Posts: 1283 | From: Cairo | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
*Dalia*
Member # 13012

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by LovedOne:

Actually, pork is haram for Christians too, they just don't know it or follow it.

It is interesting that you bring that up. I've actually read some fatawa in regards to marriage between Muslims and Christians in which it was said that the husband has to order his wife not to eat pork because "it is forbidden according to her faith."

Can I Allow My Christian Wife to Eat Pork or Drink Alcohol?

[Eek!]

metinoot
Member # 17031

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for metinoot     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
quote:

It is interesting that you bring that up. I've actually read some fatawa in regards to marriage between Muslims and Christians in which it was said that the husband has to order his wife not to eat pork because "it is forbidden according to her faith."

Can I Allow My Christian Wife to Eat Pork or Drink Alcohol?

[Eek!]

Reform Jews do eat pork, some of them. So not just the Christians who have been shirking this dietary law.

I've read alot on middle ages history in regards to how the Jewish diaspora was treated by new converts to Christianity. And believe it or not Catholic leaders endorsed pork as a preferred meat because it was not Kosher.

And in Leviticus, 10: 8-10, we read: "You and your sons are not to drink wine or other fermented drink whenever you go into the Tent of Meeting, or you will die. This is a lasting ordinance for the generations to come.”

Pretty much say it, which is why during Purim no drinking in the tent.

Mind you most folks don't live or mingle in tents anymore so this verse is rather useless in modern times.

But might explain why Jews don't have their own pubs!

Posts: 2280 | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dzosser
Member # 9572

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dzosser   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I know of an Egyptian guy (Menoufi) who's been studying engineering in Stanford University, Calif. married at the age of 24 and had his veiled fallaha wife with him living on campus (a beauty btw), these guys had chickens in their backyard running about..then for the Adha feast he and some Muslim buddies decided to buy a sheep (kharoof) and they actually slaughtered the poor beast then skinned and carved it and celebrated the event exactly like they would in their home town of El Bagour - Menoufeya.. [Big Grin]

This ritual would go on every fvcking year of his PhD. studies in Silicon Valley...and nobody ever protested.
[Razz]

Posts: 3219 | From: Wisdom comes with age, but sometimes age comes alone. | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
young at heart
Member # 10365

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for young at heart     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"You and your sons are not to drink wine or other fermented drink whenever you go into the Tent of Meeting, or you will die.

Just aswell I don't have a tent [Big Grin]

Posts: 4476 | From: Scotland | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
*Dalia*
Member # 13012

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by metinoot:

And in Leviticus, 10: 8-10, we read: "You and your sons are not to drink wine or other fermented drink whenever you go into the Tent of Meeting, or you will die. This is a lasting ordinance for the generations to come.”

Mind you most folks don't live or mingle in tents anymore so this verse is rather useless in modern times.

Is it really?

Mind you, I am not really familiar with the Old Testament at all. But by just looking at this verse without knowing anything else about it, I would assume that there must be a modern equivalent for "tent of meeting", no? Especially since the verse says that the order not to drink there is "a lasting ordinance".

Can one of the Christians on here enlighten me on the context of this verse and the interpretations? [Smile]

tina m
Member # 13845

Rate Member
quote:
I HATE the smell of liver cooking... makes me retch!

girl me too/

also lovedone. it is not selfish to want to eat what u want just cas someone doesnt like it.it means u just want some miss pigggy,,,,,,
no prob with that. i would die in egypt cas i could never ever begin to eat what i seen in pics of what they eat. and in the food section here most of what they cook looks good but damn i would never ever eat it.i am the pickiest eatter in the world, hell the only veggies i eat are tomatoes uncooked and carrots uncooked. when i order veef fried rice from the chinese it has to be with meat and eggs only no veggies..the only cooked veggies i will eat is turnip greens and green beans.and i love slow cooked black eyed peas with bacon in it on the side corn bread.. thats my style.

Exiiled
Member # 17278

Rate Member
quote:
Because the pot hasn't been stirred quite enough...... [Wink]

And, what's with all the selfish "I'm the only one that counts and screw anyone else and what they believe" attitude here? What's wrong with showing a little compassion? That doesn't make someone a doormat. It makes them understanding and less egotistical.

It might be pushy for the Muslim living in the house who is trying to say that LUN can't eat pork, but you know what? You are all espousing the same attitude as the person you're condemning.

And yes, pigs eat garbage. Which means if you ingest the local pork, you're eating what they ate.
Yes people eat pigeon here, but if you're eating it at a restaurant then I'm at least hoping they aren't fed garbage like the pigs are. Sure pigeons on the street eat garbage, but I don't think most people are eating pigeons off the street. At least not the people posting here on ES. [Razz]

Now, carry on! [Big Grin]

Come on Loved One. You know full well that Islam has no jurisdiction over Christians. Bringing up what Christians are permitted to eat or not is irrelevant and just complicates matters here. The issue at hand and facts are:

The Dilemma: LUN is forbidden from cooking a pork chop by Momar Qaddafi (the name for the bully Muslim)

Facts:

-The owner of the house did not make a set of rules pertaining to cooking pork.

-LUN has lived in the house for 5 years

-All the tenants don't have a problem with LUN cooking pork except Momar Qaddafi

-Momar Qaddafi has been a house mate for less than a year

My Opinion:

Islamically when can equate the rights of the residents of the house to being neighbors, they are after all sharing a house. They are leaving in separtae rooms and this qualifies.

How are Muslims supposed to treat neighbors, How often did Prophet Muhammad (saw) emphasize respect for neighbors?! Prophet Muhammad (saw) even said that Gabriel (as) cautioned him so much about treatment and respect for neighbors, that he (the prophet) thought he was going to adopt his neighbor.

It's not the case of LUN being compassionate, it is a case of Momar Qaddafi trangressing against LUN's rights. If Momar Qaddafi were a compassionate person then he wouldn't act in such a bullying manner. He would accommodate and be very friendly to LUN, like Muslims are supposed to, and setting a good example. Instead he has chosen to infringe on the rights of another human being. He is violating LUN's right and for such people, LUN has to stand up for himself.

metinoot
Member # 17031

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for metinoot     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by metinoot:

Is it really?

Mind you, I am not really familiar with the Old Testament at all. But by just looking at this verse without knowing anything else about it, I would assume that there must be a modern equivalent for "tent of meeting", no? Especially since the verse says that the order not to drink there is "a lasting ordinance".

Can one of the Christians on here enlighten me on the context of this verse and the interpretations? [Smile]

Is it possible dalia you're yanking my chain?

"tent of meeting" is the outdoor altar for religious ceremonies. Believe or not during the age of Aaron there was a lack of Jewish Temples so thus religious ceremonies and services were indeed outside under a tent.

Needless to say the Biblical principle still applies, drinking before anything requiring sound judgement (including driving) has to be wrong. Even in our state of moral decay, society today would never accept a judge being drunk. One great warning about this very thing comes from Isaiah's day. Note the tie between the miscarriage of justice and drunkenness...

http://www.bibleistrue.com/roarlion/nldrink.htm

Thats a broad interpretation by a website I will not endorse nor agree to, but its a rather dry answer.

During modern Purim there are religious duties and ceremonies taking place under the tent. While the rest of the congregation are becoming wasted. Priests/Rabbis don't drink during religious cermonies, even during Purim. You'd have to live within a short distance of a Temple and be aware daily of the lives of Jews to see this. I grew up with two Jewish Temples within 10 miles of my home, one of which was on the route to my church. I would often be at church on Saturdays for choir practice and the Rabbi from the Temple down the street would infact take part in certain services during the year.

While Catholic Priests often have communion before stepping up to the altar and delivering the service which might include communion.

If you had ever taken the time to read up on Rabbinic law, and what is required of Rabbis you'd be informed that Rabbis are not allowed to drink alcohol before performing their service. In order to touch the Torah you must be sober(clean).

Christianity doesn't have that law in regards to delivering sermons or touching the bible.

What Jesus (Isse) had to say about this change in decorum/law is not what the early Roman Catholic church had in mind.

Posts: 2280 | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cheekyferret
Member # 15263

Rate Member
ok... 1) I am not Christian

2) I eat what the hell I please

and 3) as an agnostic, stories and tales of what is acceptable to eat are just that.

While they sell the fricking stuff here I will eat it.

Why should I respect their wishes not to eat the stuff when mine is to eat it! Meet us half way or quit whining! Blah blah blah... it is just meat!

BTW, I hope you all enjoy the holiday tomorrow. Can't be arsed to let us cook bacon but support Christian hols. It is a joke. But I don't really in Egypt.

[Big Grin] HOLIDAY.

tina m
Member # 13845

Rate Member
damn yall made me hungry for pork. so i fried some p[ork riblets and smotherd them with my secret recipe sauca

--------------------
your ass is so tight when you fart only a dog can hear it.when you queef only a cat can hear that one.

Ayisha
Member # 4713

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ayisha     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
why not try beef bacon and beef or veal sausages?

--------------------
If you don't learn from your mistakes, there's no sense making them.

Posts: 15090 | From: http://www.egyptalk.com/forum/ | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Exiiled
Member # 17278

Rate Member
I agree with Tina, all this bacon talk got me craving a BLT. And as Ayisha suggested there are alternatives. I am going to make a delicious beef bacon sandwich with toasted wheat bread, tomatoes, mayo, hot sauce, salt and pepper. I'll eat that with my wife's awesome taboula salad. Some fresh juice, it's all good.

Don't have any lettuce, but no problem.

http://i42.tinypic.com/2cwk1l2.jpg

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com