EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Living in Egypt » DayLight Savings

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: DayLight Savings
Dexter
Member # 16952

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dexter     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Does anyone know when the 'official' daylights savings time starts ? I have been trying to find the correct info online but have two different dates. It seems to be either the 29th or 30th of this month.

Any clue as to where to look for the correct date ?

Thanks

Posts: 62 | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cheekyferret
Member # 15263

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cheekyferret     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have been told by several folk (local Egyptians) it is Thursday at Midnight. This site has supported this for months and remains unchanged.

http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/timezone.html?n=53

Folk tend not to believe it until it happens lol...

Posts: 11097 | From: Cairo | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cheekyferret
Member # 15263

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cheekyferret     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
http://worldtimeengine.com/dodst/cairo_egypt/

This site also states it will happen on Thursday but the date of it going back differs.

One reads the 5th Aug, this one says Sept 30th.

I have heard it is as yet undecided as putting the clocks back to winter in August is maddness and at some point has to stop. It only happens because of Ramadan... I will keep asking around though.

One guy has set up a global conference call for next Monday, all the info is now wrong as the times will be different!!!

Posts: 11097 | From: Cairo | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
An Exercise in Futility
Member # 9889

Icon 1 posted      Profile for An Exercise in Futility         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
99.9% it goes forward as CF says at Midnight 29th April which goes immediately to 1am 30th hence the date confusions between 29th and 30th.

Regarding going back again - last year a lot of sources had end of September - which is usual, but it in fact went back just before Ramadan in August.

For the next few years, Ramadan will be occurring during August/July/June so it makes little sense to have DLS at all for just 3 months of the year.

We shall see!

Posts: 5593 | From: Egypt | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LovedOne
Member # 10222

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LovedOne     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just a bump to remind everyone that tonight is supposedly the night that the clocks will move forward!

Let's see if it really happens [Big Grin]

Posts: 1283 | From: Cairo | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
An Exercise in Futility
Member # 9889

Icon 1 posted      Profile for An Exercise in Futility         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for the nudge Loved One!
Posts: 5593 | From: Egypt | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cheekyferret
Member # 15263

Rate Member
I am all confused now about the Hash meet up times... I need to call ahead and see if they recall the clocks are changing and to see if the walk times will differ!!!
Ayisha
Member # 4713

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ayisha     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
well my computer has adjusted time by 1 hour, so its happened. Clocks will go back again before Ramadan, it is going to be confusing this year [Big Grin]

--------------------
If you don't learn from your mistakes, there's no sense making them.

Posts: 15090 | From: http://www.egyptalk.com/forum/ | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Clear and QSY
Member # 15597

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Clear and QSY     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well...my husband's computer sprang forward, but mine didn't and my vodafone didn't either. So now I'm really confused.
Posts: 1626 | From: whatever, wherever | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
An Exercise in Futility
Member # 9889

Don't rely on the computers, last year they didn't switch back at the right time - depends in the info that is in the relevant internet system that they sync with. Mine has however gone forward today. I was out with someone last night who has an automatically syncinc mobile (not sure who with) and it went forward.

I think they have gone forward though! Listen for the Friday Prayers though - if they've gone forward then the prayers will seem to be an hour later than yesterday I think because they're not based on clock time.

Edit: that's a flawed argument of mine because if you don't put your clocks forward an hour you won't know the prayers are later than usual - oops!

An Exercise in Futility
Member # 9889

According to islamicfinder.org, Friday Duhr (Midday) prayers in Cairo today is 12:53 so work from that! (Which I think means the clocks have definitely gone forward!)
Cheekyferret
Member # 15263

Rate Member
I heard last night that the Ministry of
whoever has confirmed the change back to be August 5th...

Mo Ning Min E
Member # 681

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mo Ning Min E     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh God, is it 8pm now?
Posts: 1399 | From: alexandria | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LovedOne
Member # 10222

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LovedOne     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
8:16 p.m. actually [Big Grin]

I was so tired today. Blaming it on the time change instead of staying up til fajr.

Posts: 1283 | From: Cairo | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mo Ning Min E
Member # 681

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mo Ning Min E     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks SO much, [now I know why you are called LovedOne]
I was watering my garden, at what i thought was the normal time, and it started to get dark! I thought the oldtimers disease had got me at last.

Posts: 1399 | From: alexandria | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dzosser
Member # 9572

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dzosser   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When I changed the time on my mobile last night it prompted a message asking me if I had moved into a different time zone [Confused] now what business is it of the damn phone if I'd moved or not [Mad] so I changed the time and saved it while ignoring the dumb question..this morning I woke up to find out that it had put the time one hour ahead of the one I'd already set yesterday [Eek!]

Now how did the darn thing know anything about us in Egypt having a fvcking daylight saving ?? [Confused]

Posts: 3219 | From: Wisdom comes with age, but sometimes age comes alone. | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LovedOne
Member # 10222

lol, I think old timers disease is coming for quite a few of us here on ES [Big Grin]
An Exercise in Futility
Member # 9889

Did you change it before midnight DZ?
If so it would then have changed it again at midnight.
It's programmed into various systems! Your phone is in constant communication with 'base' to see if you have messages and stuff, so I guess some signal was transmitted to it at some point.

Eg. if you are on a Windows computer - go to the time in the bottom right hand corner. Right Click 'adjust date/time'.
You will see 3 tabs - one with your current 'puter time, the second with Time Zone for you to set and the last witn Internet Time telling you what it syncs with and when.
Last year, I forgot to untick 'automatically synchronize' on the last tab and because the internet thought Egypt was on DLS until the end of September instead of August whatever, it kept resetting the computer time when I wasn't looking.

Cheekyferret
Member # 15263

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by Dzosser:
When I changed the time on my mobile last night it prompted a message asking me if I had moved into a different time zone [Confused] now what business is it of the damn phone if I'd moved or not [Mad] so I changed the time and saved it while ignoring the dumb question..this morning I woke up to find out that it had put the time one hour ahead of the one I'd already set yesterday [Eek!]

Now how did the darn thing know anything about us in Egypt having a fvcking daylight saving ?? [Confused]

Now I find this really funny as my friend had an argument last night with his phone prompts... when he finally convinced the phone to change zone it asked if he was sure lol.. YES FFS!!! [Smile]

HTC is cool, I had no other option but to move from +2 Cairo to +3 Nairobi to get the right time!!!

I am no longer in Egypt technologically speaking.

Dzosser
Member # 9572

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dzosser   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks SQ..I got it [Wink] however, it would be nice if those machines would mind their own business and let us 'humans' decide our local time for ourselves.

Ferret..isn't there a way to shut this moronic time zone system down, so as to let you decide where you reside for yourself [Confused] I mean if you've paid so much for that machine, the least it should do is to show some respect. [Roll Eyes]

Posts: 3219 | From: Wisdom comes with age, but sometimes age comes alone. | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
An Exercise in Futility
Member # 9889

You could of course be like me and buy a mobile that cost under 200LE, these gadgets don't do fancy annoying stuff [Wink]
Rahala
Member # 16703

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rahala     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Thanks SQ..I got it [Wink] however, it would be nice if those machines would mind their own business and let us 'humans' decide our local time for ourselves.

Ferret..isn't there a way to shut this moronic time zone system down, so as to let you decide where you reside for yourself [Confused] I mean if you've paid so much for that machine, the least it should do is to show some respect. [Roll Eyes]

There is an option in the settings of the phone called "Network operator timing "
This option is in every Nokia phone and perhabs in every phone I have ever seen .

You must have turned on this setting .

Network Operators automatically adjusts your phone !!
Isn't it cool ?!

Posts: 2417 | From: Cairo | Registered: Jun 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dzosser
Member # 9572

Rate Member
SQ..I'm sure my Nokia N95 is oudated by now and would cost in the vicinity of 300 EGP..our maid's mobile is much more sophisticated and slimmer, it can take two sim cards and can do more tricks than mine. [Frown]
Dzosser
Member # 9572

Rate Member
Thanks Ahmad, [Wink] I'm not very technological and never read manuals and pamphlets, [Big Grin] where have you been for so long ? [Confused]
Rahala
Member # 16703

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rahala     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
watching what is happening in the country ,you know ,Al-Baradie and the whole story ,....
Posts: 2417 | From: Cairo | Registered: Jun 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cheekyferret
Member # 15263

Rate Member
quote:

Cannot find such a setting on my HTC... and tbh, it has been such a long time since I had a Nokia, I was always a Sony E girl.

I am getting a Blackberry next month.... the world and his dog BBM here and I wanna join in the free fun.

My laptop time automatically changed...

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com