EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Living in Egypt » Outlook help needed!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Outlook help needed!
Ayisha
Member # 4713

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ayisha     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have spent 3 days on this and cannot figure out what the hell I am doing wrong. I set up an email account in outlook and its 'boss server thingy' bit is in UK. I can receive but not send, it says it cannot connect to my outgoing server. I have done exactly as told to do and used the right passwords, what am I doing wrong? anyone? [Frown] [Frown] [Frown] [Frown]
Posts: 15090 | From: http://www.egyptalk.com/forum/ | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mynameisthis
Member # 17234

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mynameisthis         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ayisha:
what am I doing wrong? anyone? [Frown] [Frown] [Frown] [Frown]

You're using outlook.

http://www.opera.com/

Posts: 1044 | Registered: Nov 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
An Exercise in Futility
Member # 9889

Icon 1 posted      Profile for An Exercise in Futility         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Check and see if you need to tick anything like eg 'server authentication required' - if it's yahoo you do. Can't remember if it's hotmail or live.

OK just checked mine (I don't use outlook but the account requirements are the same regardless):

Yahoo and Googlemail/Gmail make sure

'log on using clear text authentication' is ticked and 'my server requires authentication' is ticked

Hotmail and Live - these don't come up.

Posts: 5593 | From: Egypt | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ayisha
Member # 4713

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ayisha     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i have tried ticking all sorts shanta, its a company email not yahoo or hotmail etc. I changed my default outgoing port to 26 which did something but still wont send. I think its the port things that are wrong.

Of course the 'other end' are no use at all [Roll Eyes]

--------------------
If you don't learn from your mistakes, there's no sense making them.

Posts: 15090 | From: http://www.egyptalk.com/forum/ | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ayisha
Member # 4713

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by Two:
quote:

You're using outlook.

Has my IE browser got anything to do with Microsoft Outlook email?

I set up Outlook Express first and that had the same problems. I have had them working before and im sure something had to be done their end, or I mean in the websites control panel which I cant get at [Frown]

Dzosser
Member # 9572

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dzosser   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You say the incoming box is set to UK server, well that figures, how do you expect your outgoing box to function if you're not using the UK connection in Luxor ?? Both boxes should be identical.
Posts: 3219 | From: Wisdom comes with age, but sometimes age comes alone. | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ayisha
Member # 4713

Member Rated:
They are Dzosser! got same in both boxes. What I meant was, its a business IN UK, Its website server is IN UK.

When I had my own site I got on something called C-Panel and added email addresses, that because the website was mine and that told the website these are the email addresses to use. The passwords on the C-Panel of my website had to be same as the passwords on my outlook/outlook express. This is not my website and I cannot get on its C-panel to see if the problem is that end, ie. server end.

Everything is filled out according to instructions sent me and I remember from before with mine I had to change the default outgoing port set at 25 to 26, which I have done.

Still nothing [Frown]

--------------------

Mynameisthis
Member # 17234

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mynameisthis         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
quote:
quote:

You're using outlook.

I set up Outlook Express first and that had the same problems. I have had them working before and im sure something had to be done their end, or I mean in the websites control panel which I cant get at [Frown]

Opera has an email client integrated in it. Download it and try to set up you email in it.

I'm not familiar with outlook but may be they changed the port or added authentication.

Try a different email client like Opera or Firefox(not sure what they call theirs). Or even try a web based server like Yahoo or Gmail and see what happens.

Posts: 1044 | Registered: Nov 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ayisha
Member # 4713

Member Rated:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

You're using outlook.

Opera has an email client integrated in it. Download it and try to set up you email in it.

I'm not familiar with outlook but may be they changed the port or added authentication.

Try a different email client like Opera or Firefox(not sure what they call theirs). Or even try a web based server like Yahoo or Gmail and see what happens.

downloaded Opera, still same problem, can receive and not send.

The guy 'that end' says it might be my firewall or router but I have tried my other laptop where Outlook Express was set up with other emails and my settings are the same and that was working fine, the only reason its not now is because the website conected to the emails is no longer there nor the server.

he told me to try run telnet 'email address' 25 (25 is port) in command promt and I do that and it vanishes to bloody quick if it does anything! no idea why he told me to do that as that bit of thechno stuff is beyond me [Big Grin]

I am fed up

beyoku
Member # 14524

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for beyoku     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When you "SEND" email you are possibly using the server of your CURRENT internet service provider.

When you "RECIEVE" email you are using the server that your emial is on - regardless of where it is located.

So if your outgoing server WAS somthing like:
smtp.abcUKserver.com - becaue you were in UK.

If you are now in Egypt you cannot connect to the UK server because you are not using the UK service provider.

What you have to do if you are in Egypt is use the Egyptian SMTP server for outgoing email. Whoever supplies your intnernt in Egypt should be able to give you that information.

what did you give you for the smtp settings for outgoing email?

Posts: 2463 | From: New Jersey USA | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ayisha
Member # 4713

Member Rated:
outgoing mail settings given me were same as incoming.

mail.website.com for both.

I have checked on my router at the list on there and am using port 110 as it says on the router and 25 incoming. I did change it to 26 as thats what I had on my old accounts but guy in UK told me to change to 25 as thats default and that agrees with the router.

I am damn sure its his end. [Mad]

--------------------

Ayisha
Member # 4713

Member Rated:
have just set up my google mail in outlook with the settings they give on a 'how to' page and it works receiving and sending [Confused] what does that mean?

--------------------

Ayisha
Member # 4713

Member Rated:
Anyone know how to keep the command prompt black screen open to read what it says before it vanishes? [Frown] [Frown]

--------------------

Ayisha
Member # 4713

Member Rated:
This is seriously doing my head in!

I have found various on the net about tedata blocking port 25 but can only find info for setting up a tedata email address

*banging head on dest*

I have emailed tedata now, will see how long it takes for them to reply!

AMR ARE YOU THERE?? [Frown] [Frown]

--------------------

Mynameisthis
Member # 17234

quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

You're using outlook.

downloaded Opera
The lord works in mysterious ways [Big Grin]
*Dalia*
Member # 13012

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for *Dalia*     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
[Big Grin]

I use Opera occasionally, but for some reason prefer the look and feel of Safari. Maybe just force of habit ... [Cool]

Posts: 2803 | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
An Exercise in Futility
Member # 9889

Icon 1 posted      Profile for An Exercise in Futility         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here's another possibility.
Suppose the account you're trying to collect is hosted on

mail. website. com
and your full login name is ayisha @ ayishaswebsite . com

then maybe you need to enter the full login name including the bits after the @ in the 'login id' place where it might just be writing ayisha?

Posts: 5593 | From: Egypt | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mynameisthis
Member # 17234

quote:
Originally posted by Shanta Qadeama:
Here's another possibility.
Suppose the account you're trying to collect is hosted on

mail. website. com
and your full login name is ayisha @ ayishaswebsite . com

then maybe you need to enter the full login name including the bits after the @ in the 'login id' place where it might just be writing ayisha?

It can't be a password issue if she receives mail.
Ayisha
Member # 4713

Member Rated:
done that already shanta, am typing the whole thing in and have got it exactly as instructed.

heard from tedata, i have to have a tedata email address and password and outgoing server has to say out.tedata.eg or something, using the password they give me. So now I have to get this email address and password sorted out. All seems a bit bloody dodgy to me to be honest but they block port 25 and all outgoing has to go out through them.

--------------------

An Exercise in Futility
Member # 9889

@Two - no, its not a password issue - I have something very similar and I can't just write my login id I have to write the full email address as the login id.

@Ayisha - some UK ISPs do that. I know AOL always used to get the blame for Outlook not working when actually it was, say, BTinternet blocking Outlook from working to pick up BTInternet emails unless you used their connections.

Don't you have the TEData email address and password you signed up with which are stored in your router? Do you not use the same?

Can you get yahoo or gmail or hotmail ok and is there anyway you could get the mail you having problems with forwarded to that and then get it via outlook that way - or is it a problem with all outlook?

Alternatively, try hotspot shield or similar and just switch it on when you want to download your email? Don't know if it would work?

Ayisha
Member # 4713

Member Rated:
Its outgoing shanta, so no point getting the emails sent to hotmail or other, its the ones I send have to come from this websites address.

I didnt know I had an email address and password in my router [Big Grin]

I use hotmail, yahoo and google and I did the google in Outlook and that works fine but the port settings are very different. Its all to do with this port tedata are blocking so why not just gimme another port? [Big Grin] I can receive mails fine, its just I cant send any out [Frown]

--------------------

An Exercise in Futility
Member # 9889

How about getting a new google/hotmail/yahoo account and setting it to send out with the address you want to send from?

EG I have got one shanta @shantaswebsite.com (not really but that's the shape) type address that is set up to forward to 3 of my existing ones (hotmail/yahoo/gmail) so as to be sure of getting emails sent to the shanta address.

I have designated one of the hotmail addresses so that any email sent from it (from my computer not internet) goes out showing the shanta @ address not the hotmail address and that is what I use to 'send' with that address.

Just found this nugget by googling:

1) There's a much lesser known port which allows mail delivery: Port 5190. Change that in your advanced settings and your mail will ge through on most networks.

Mynameisthis
Member # 17234

If you have a shanta@shantawebsite.com that is designated to 3 existing accounts where the first account is gmail and the second is yahoo type emails which Internet computer router would the password attached to if the router is set up to be the host address @ shanta not really .com?
An Exercise in Futility
Member # 9889

I have two different sorts of email account (other than the usual array of yahoo etc) for shanta sites.

(1) the one like ayisha's where I have to put in the full name/password (but of the hostsite not of my internet)

(2) the one where I 'fake' the outgoing address so even though it's leaving from a hotmail address, the recipient sees it as coming from mysite . com

Since my dust-up with TEData 18 months ago, I don't use ADSL so I don't have a router so I don't have that problem [Big Grin]

An Exercise in Futility
Member # 9889

ps just tried that 5190 myself and it didn't work [Frown]
Ayisha
Member # 4713

Member Rated:
Now im confused even more [Frown]

--------------------

An Exercise in Futility
Member # 9889

re the 'faking' address to be your outgoing mail address:

say you have a hotmail account ayisha @ hotmail
in the properties for the account in Outlook (assuming it works the same as Windows Live Mail - it's been 3 years since I used outlook) where you get the chance to type in User Information it has boxes for:
Name : Ayisha
Organization Ayisha Megacorp PLC
Email address: here write the email address you want it to look like it came from eg ayisha @ megacorp not ayisha @ hotmail
Reply address: and here too

Note this is not what you enter in the 'mail server' info which of course has to be the ayisha @ hotmail bit.

For me, if I send from shanta @ hotmail it appears to be coming from bigchief @ eyespy and that is also the reply address.

(not really by the way just my imagination is faltering)

An Exercise in Futility
Member # 9889

PS, have you shut down and restarted your computer/outlook etc since you started all this? Sometimes I find I have problems with sending / receiving on different accounts, but then they clear on their own.
Dzosser
Member # 9572

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dzosser   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
OK..I've been to TeData to pay for my bill and asked the technical support guy why the heck can't someone who receives mail, send out mail as well ?? He told me that in Ayisha's case, she can use a foreign server to receive and hence her incoming box could be set to her UK server.. BUT in case of her outgoing box she'll be using TeData's service, so in this case it should be set to : smtp.tedata.net

Now if this doesn't work, then there's nothing else you can do.. [Frown]

Posts: 3219 | From: Wisdom comes with age, but sometimes age comes alone. | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
malimaz
Member # 17616

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for malimaz     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Aisha, who is your Internet service provider? You can have a different incoming server (hence based in uk) but completely different SMTP server for outgoing based on your ISP. Let me know who they are and I can get you the correct info needed.
Posts: 108 | From: Egypt | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ayisha
Member # 4713

Member Rated:
Its sorted now. Got username and password from tedata and had to put that in my outgoing server thingy. Everything on tedata website said to use out.tedata.net.eg but that didnt work and I found last night on a forum to use smtp.tedata.net.eg which finally worked!

thanks to all for your help [Big Grin]

--------------------

malimaz
Member # 17616

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for malimaz     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
most welcome congrats!
Posts: 108 | From: Egypt | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ellie-May
Member # 17704

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ellie-May     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hello everyone [Smile]

I just registered here beacuse I need some help.
Im not Egyptian, but my boyfriend is.
Recently I have some problems and I am really really worried and affraid.

Im looking here for someone who can help me with Arabic language.
I need serious person who is fluent in English so that she can help me in translating just some short things from English to Arabic.

I will be really really grateful for any help because Im quite desperate [Frown]

Posts: 6 | Registered: May 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ellie-May
Member # 17704

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ellie-May     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
IM sorry,
wrong topic and now I dont know how to delete my post here
[Frown]

Posts: 6 | Registered: May 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Clear and QSY
Member # 15597

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Clear and QSY     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Don't worry, your post will be seen regardless. Start a new topic if you want. Top right side of screen - post new topic.

You can't delete a post once you make one. Just copy and paste what you wrote into a new topic.

Posts: 1626 | From: whatever, wherever | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com