EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Living in Egypt » Only one bathroom in Egyptian homes WHY??

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Only one bathroom in Egyptian homes WHY??
metinoot
Member # 17031

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for metinoot     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is something I cannot get over. Its paramount in western culture, you have kids you need to have 2 bathrooms or at least a half bathroom with a full bathroom.

Why hasn't this caught on in Egypt?

Posts: 2280 | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mo Ning Min E
Member # 681

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mo Ning Min E     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Don't know who you've been visiting hon, everyone I know has at least two.
Posts: 1399 | From: alexandria | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nasto
Member # 17091

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nasto   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Not all Egyptian houses have a single bathroom. There can be up to 4 bathrooms in an apartment (two of them with bathtubs and two with sinks only) or any other combination.
Posts: 132 | From: Alex | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ayisha
Member # 4713

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ayisha     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have only one [Frown] It is bigger than most living rooms though, you could probably swing a donkey in it [Big Grin]

some people are lucky to have one. [Wink]

--------------------
If you don't learn from your mistakes, there's no sense making them.

Posts: 15090 | From: http://www.egyptalk.com/forum/ | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Clear and QSY
Member # 15597

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Clear and QSY     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ayisha:
I have only one [Frown] It is bigger than most living rooms though, you could probably swing a donkey in it [Big Grin]

Bathrooms in Egypt are huge compared to the US. Some in newer houses aren't even big enough to change your mind in.
Posts: 1626 | From: whatever, wherever | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ayisha
Member # 4713

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ayisha     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Clear and QSY:
quote:

Bathrooms in Egypt are huge compared to the US. Some in newer houses aren't even big enough to change your mind in.
Mine wasnt going to be big. When we took our flat it was built, bare bricks etc, but it was 4 bedrooms or we could have had one room blocked off as we have 2 front doors. The bathroom and kitchen were to be where my bathroom is and what is my kitchen was according to the building, a bedroom. I wanted a bigger kitchen than the one I would have had if they had continued so I now have a big kitchen and bathroom an office and 2 bedrooms [Big Grin]
Posts: 15090 | From: http://www.egyptalk.com/forum/ | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
metinoot
Member # 17031

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for metinoot     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Nasto:
Not all Egyptian houses have a single bathroom. There can be up to 4 bathrooms in an apartment (two of them with bathtubs and two with sinks only) or any other combination.

Actually I was dragged along to look at some new condos/flats in Alex and in Cairo.

Occassionally I look online for flats but unless they are promoted towards expats its hard to find more than one bathroom

Yes the bathrooms are bigger in Egypt. But I am used to huge bathrooms.

Posts: 2280 | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
young at heart
Member # 10365

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for young at heart     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Most new build Uk houses like mine come with ensuite bath or shower rooms now. It does seem to be the norm. I would imagine in Egypt it depends on how well off a family are. In many cases the poorer Egyptians are more concerned with putting a meal on the table than whether they have a 2nd bathroom or not!
Posts: 4476 | From: Scotland | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
nevermind
Member # 6674

Icon 1 posted      Profile for nevermind     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think the Egyptian norm is definitely that the guests have a separate bathroom. In all Scandinavia I think we have one, at least in apartments, but then we are relatively clean people up north there [Razz] .
Villas are another story, villas are villas anywhere.
But definitely affluent Egyptians have at least 2 bathrooms, or one to each bedroom, or similar, while here in the village you have of course one. Houses being so small, often not above 50m2, and guests sitting mostly outside on the porch [Smile] . You basically have a toilet with a shower head fixed somewhere over the (how did someone here call it?) porta potty? [Big Grin]

We must be soulmates, Aisha, I also moved our bathroom into kitchen and kitchen into office. And what was to be bath is now a smallish storage. With the effect that guests who wanted to see the apartment before it was furnished, went first to the bathroom, hoping to see the kitchen, then turned around with a big surprise and headed for the 4 m2 storage - "oh it must be here then...." [Big Grin]

Basically the most important room in the house (because it is in use most of the day) - the kitchen, is usually the smallest (for not so affluent who also do not have open kitchens) around 6m2. And toilet is so small you have to turn around before entering. The whole life goes on in bedrooms, or even the main bedroom - parents watch tv there, children do their homework, even eat perhaps. While the two (or more) show-off rooms - the dining room and the entré - are kept more or less unused and intact, for those few precious guests...
Though an Egyptian family receives visitors pretty often, esp. near family, but still...

The 1 toilet new apartments must be the "extra new lifestyle", sono , for the new generation of "upwardly mobile"-s who never had more [Smile] .

Posts: 1051 | From: Menoufeya | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
metinoot
Member # 17031

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by young at heart:
Most new build Uk houses like mine come with ensuite bath or shower rooms now. It does seem to be the norm. I would imagine in Egypt it depends on how well off a family are. In many cases the poorer Egyptians are more concerned with putting a meal on the table than whether they have a 2nd bathroom or not!

My former in-laws have 5 extra flats, all of which have only one bathroom.

We've visited folks with 5 bedroom flats with an extra sitting room and only one bathroom.

I can see Sinai having villas and delux flats having a bath and a half, but its slim pickings in Egyptian neighborhoods.

A little sick and tired of looking for a open toilet and finding a little girl in all three of them back at the family house. [Roll Eyes]

weirdkitty
Member # 15365

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for weirdkitty     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
all the flats i have been in in england, only have one bathroom. seriously, it's a flat, why on earth would you need two? i have never thought it weird. i stayed in one flat in cairo with two, and it seemed pointless. my house only has two due to an extension we built, so really don't think egyptians are backwards in this

--------------------
Another one....

Posts: 2573 | From: England | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
metinoot
Member # 17031

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by weirdkitty:
all the flats i have been in in england, only have one bathroom. seriously, it's a flat, why on earth would you need two? i have never thought it weird. i stayed in one flat in cairo with two, and it seemed pointless. my house only has two due to an extension we built, so really don't think egyptians are backwards in this

Yeah but a majority of city dwellings are flats. Its very difficult to get a building permit for a villa in a city.

When all of us stay in a large flat in Agamy then men use the bathroom in the coffeehouse on street level in our building. The girls use a "training potty" as a last resort and then they give you hell about it every time you walk past the bathroom.

Ayisha
Member # 4713

Member Rated:
aaaahh you mean 'toilets' not 'bathrooms'.

--------------------

Mimmi
Member # 3606

Member Rated:
Icon 5 posted      Profile for Mimmi     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by metinoot:
This is something I cannot get over. Its paramount in western culture, you have kids you need to have 2 bathrooms or at least a half bathroom with a full bathroom.

??????????????
[Eek!] [Eek!]

Posts: 523 | From: Finland | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
_
Member # 3567

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for _     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

When all of us stay in a large flat in Agamy then men use the bathroom in the coffeehouse on street level in our building. The girls use a "training potty" as a last resort and then they give you hell about it every time you walk past the bathroom.

And from which novel did you take that information?? [Confused]
Posts: 30135 | From: The owner of this website killed ES....... | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Clear and QSY
Member # 15597

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Clear and QSY     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

Living in a house with one toilet sucks - expecially where you have more than one person living there and you get back from a night out and both have to "go" very badly then you end up racing each other to get there first... [Mad]

Living in a house with one bathroom sucks when you have more than one person living there and everyone needs to go to work at the same time. Someone always ends up taking a cold shower because there is not enough time to let the hot water tank reheat. [Mad]

Posts: 1626 | From: whatever, wherever | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ayisha
Member # 4713

Member Rated:
quote:
quote:

Living in a house with one toilet sucks - expecially where you have more than one person living there and you get back from a night out and both have to "go" very badly then you end up racing each other to get there first... [Mad]
Yes but its not like you have to wait long is it? it doesnt take long to 'go'
Clear and QSY
Member # 15597

Rate Member
quote:
quote:
quote:

Yes, but when you have to go very badly every second is torture. Especially when you get to be my age.
Penny
Member # 1925

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Penny     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Its not really an Egyptian thing, most newer flats over 125sq mtrs will have 2 but so many flats are smaller than this so there is only room for one.

There are alot of older buildings in Alex where it probably didn't use to be the norm.

Posts: 3809 | From: Paradise | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Penny
Member # 1925

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Penny     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Yes, but when you have to go very badly every second is torture. Especially when you get to be my age.
Or you are married to one of those men where going to the ....is a long slow experience. We used to have 2 now only have one, definitely a backward step.
Posts: 3809 | From: Paradise | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ahmad911
Member # 17752

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for ahmad911     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
AYISHA
That is the coolest thing you wrote .
some people are lucky to have one.

[Smile] [Smile] [Smile] [Smile] [Smile] [Smile] Makes me laugh . Really very funny .

Posts: 161 | Registered: May 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
anthropos
Member # 9410

Icon 1 posted      Profile for anthropos     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

Are you using an Egyptian toilet at the moment? So why on Earth would you be wondering about this? I know that you have had a hard time having your daughter taken from you and all but is taking a virtual crap at Egyptian toilet customs or house design going to make you feel any better?
Posts: 2184 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
metinoot
Member # 17031

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by anthropos:
quote:

Are you using an Egyptian toilet at the moment? So why on Earth would you be wondering about this? I know that you have had a hard time having your daughter taken from you and all but is taking a virtual crap at Egyptian toilet customs or house design going to make you feel any better?
You don't have the right to ask where I live. I could be in Egypt right now and have had to use the neighbors 4 times in the last 2 days. Luckily the building is mainly comprised of "vacation" flats in which most residents don't live here full time. [Roll Eyes]

Yes I am bitchin. [Big Grin] I don't get to live like a tourist here and I don't have my own space.

Limited bathroom situations has nothing to do with my family situation.

metinoot
Member # 17031

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by Tigerlily:
quote:

Unlike you I have real experiences in Egypt within actual Egyptian context.

And yeah I shower and 3 little girls use the toilet when I am in there. Sometimes they forget and they flush. I am not a masochist in this manner.

Supercalafragalistic
Member # 15631

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Supercalafragalistic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
we only had one bathroom (no bath mind due) in the flat I was in. There were 5 of us sharing it. Wasn't really a problem, bladder control and consideration of others is all you need.
Posts: 1248 | From: my sex is on fire!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ayisha
Member # 4713

Member Rated:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Unlike you I have real experiences in Egypt within actual Egyptian context.

Then get on with it then, this is Egypt not fully modern equiped USA. Think yourself lucky you're not squatting over a hole and showering with a hosepipe and cold water. [Roll Eyes]
weirdkitty
Member # 15365

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for weirdkitty     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wait a second... IF you are in Egypt (first time in how long?) actually bothering to see the girl you dumped, why on earth are you on here, moaning about toilets??!!
Damn, if I had a child I never saw, I wouldn't care even if there were no bathrooms when I did finally bother seeing her. But, I guess you showed long ago how little you care about your "daughter", so I guess you would care about bathrooms. Each to their own, but to me there are more important things in life.

Posts: 2573 | From: England | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ayisha
Member # 4713

Member Rated:
shes not in Egypt, unless shes just arrived, shes trying to make you think she is. [Big Grin]

--------------------

_
Member # 3567

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for _     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Then get on with it then, this is Egypt not fully modern equiped USA. Think yourself lucky you're not squatting over a hole and showering with a hosepipe and cold water. [Roll Eyes]

Right on spot Ayisha - as usual. Now Egyptians would reply at this point: If you don't like it here then don't come. [Big Grin]

Anyway Amy must be having one of her pipe dreams again!! [Razz]

Posts: 30135 | From: The owner of this website killed ES....... | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
anthropos
Member # 9410

Icon 1 posted      Profile for anthropos     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
quote:
quote:

You don't have the right to ask where I live. I could be in Egypt right now and have had to use the neighbors 4 times in the last 2 days. Luckily the building is mainly comprised of "vacation" flats in which most residents don't live here full time. [Roll Eyes]

Yes I am bitchin. [Big Grin] I don't get to live like a tourist here and I don't have my own space.

Limited bathroom situations has nothing to do with my family situation.

Seeing that you answer me in this way I would like to refer you to my thread on scarves and ask you to rethink the answer you gave there.
Posts: 2184 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
metinoot
Member # 17031

Member Rated:
quote:
Seeing that you answer me in this way I would like to refer you to my thread on scarves and ask you to rethink the answer you gave there.

Its not tit for tat here.

You were making assumptions and making unfair criticism towards a group that is heavily unrepresented here. The subject revolves around religion, gender and culture.

My topic doesn't revolve around religion, gender nor really even culture. Because there are other cultures that have little in common with Egypt that only have one bathroom in a 3 bedroom flat.

Not all nations are comprised of mainly house residences.

No one considered that Egypt has one main water source, the Nile. In my home state we have literally tens of thousands of water sources and a water sanitation system that hasn't seen an overhaul in 60 years. Egypt on the other hand overhauls their water sanitation system before the decade is out.

I wanted a real estate person to jump in here and give me more details about the housing development process in which developers draw up blue prints on large luxurious flat buildings but then the government informs them to reduce the amount of bathrooms in order to save water.

Why would I bring that up? Because Egyptians speak Arabic, and foreigners don't. Egyptians also go to developers and rally for changes in the flat design and also go to municipal officials to encourage certain features in their housing stock either to buy the flat or to market their products to the people who live in the flats once they move in.

I was trying to encourage usernames who rarely post to share information that the usernames who post regularly obviously have no experience with.

_
Member # 3567

Rate Member
quote:
I wanted a real estate person to jump in here and give me more details about the housing development process in which developers draw up blue prints on large luxurious flat buildings but then the government informs them to reduce the amount of bathrooms in order to save water.

Why would I bring that up? Because Egyptians speak Arabic, and foreigners don't. Egyptians also go to developers and rally for changes in the flat design and also go to municipal officials to encourage certain features in their housing stock either to buy the flat or to market their products to the people who live in the flats once they move in.

I was trying to encourage usernames who rarely post to share information that the usernames who post regularly obviously have no experience with.

Go to an Arabic speaking online forum then to receive your wanted info there or even better contact real estate folks yourself but stop patronizing ES members on here you stupid woman!!

Oh forgot - YOU DON'T SPEAK ANY ARABIC. Keep living in your pipe dreams.... you'll never make it to Egypt. [Roll Eyes]

metinoot
Member # 17031

Member Rated:
quote:
quote:

Go to an Arabic speaking online forum then to receive your wanted info there or even better contact real estate folks yourself but stop patronizing ES members on here you stupid woman!!

Oh forgot - YOU DON'T SPEAK ANY ARABIC. Keep living in your pipe dreams.... you'll never make it to Egypt. [Roll Eyes]

I've been to Egypt more often than you have since both of us joined the forum. I don't believe you've ever lived in Egypt and I don't believe that you have been there more than once.

I understand Egyptian Arabic more by hearing than by speaking which is a natural cycle of learning. Most folks when they learn from tapes and books learn to speak it before they can recognize the words and speech patterns by hearing.

Anatasia there are enough westerners buying up properties in Sinai to know of this type of facilitation. But these westerners are going about it in a smart manner using a lawyer not a toyboy to help them buy a place.

Now don't you have six kids to take care of, two of which are malnourished, devastated orphans?

Ayisha
Member # 4713

Member Rated:
quote:
But these westerners are going about it in a smart manner using a lawyer not a toyboy to help them buy a place.

ROFLMAO OMG Amy that was the funniest thing you have said in ages [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]
metinoot
Member # 17031

Member Rated:
quote:
quote:
But these westerners are going about it in a smart manner using a lawyer not a toyboy to help them buy a place.

ROFLMAO OMG Amy that was the funniest thing you have said in ages [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]
When I say "using a lawyer" I mean using a lawyer who isn't being compensated by the boytoy to inflate the price of the flat.

Since you haven't bought a flat I can see why you'd find humor in this.

Ayisha
Member # 4713

Member Rated:
quote:
quote:
quote:

When I say "using a lawyer" I mean using a lawyer who isn't being compensated by the boytoy to inflate the price of the flat.

ROFLMAO there you go again! [Big Grin] I cant WAIT till you actually move here.
metinoot
Member # 17031

Member Rated:
In otherwords valerie you just are going to chase around every thread I post in and "abuse" recreationally.

You abuse prank callers, you abuse the men in your lives, you abuse people online. There is just no end to it, abuse is the only thing that floats your boat.

Ayisha
Member # 4713

Member Rated:
quote:
In otherwords valerie you just are going to chase around every thread I post in and "abuse" recreationally.

You abuse prank callers, you abuse the men in your lives, you abuse people online. There is just no end to it, abuse is the only thing that floats your boat.

How is saying you made me laugh abusing you? [Confused]

what prank callers do I abuse? What men do I abuse in my life and what people have I abused online? All fantasy again Amy and the abuse comes from you every single time! [Roll Eyes]

_
Member # 3567

Rate Member
quote:

That's what you would like us to do, don't you??

Good lord you are such a snake. Anyone who is on this forum here can see your true disgusting nature.

I think you should be looking for a job and trying to get out of Loserville instead harassing people online but I guess you got other priorities in life??

What a poor excuse for a human being you are..... [Confused]

Penny
Member # 1925

Rate Member
quote:
quote:

Its not tit for tat here.

You were making assumptions and making unfair criticism towards a group that is heavily unrepresented here. The subject revolves around religion, gender and culture.

My topic doesn't revolve around religion, gender nor really even culture. Because there are other cultures that have little in common with Egypt that only have one bathroom in a 3 bedroom flat.

Not all nations are comprised of mainly house residences.

No one considered that Egypt has one main water source, the Nile. In my home state we have literally tens of thousands of water sources and a water sanitation system that hasn't seen an overhaul in 60 years. Egypt on the other hand overhauls their water sanitation system before the decade is out.

You have such strange ideas of how things work in Egypt. [Smile]
Basically the government grants a license to build based on the location and size/ number of floors of the building. What you then put in it they don't care about so if you want you could stick in 10 bathrooms or a swimming pool. Its up to the developer according to the market he is trying to sell to.
In our current development all will have 2 bathrooms as that suits our market and the size of the flats (250sq mtrs). So if you really can't find anything in Alex give me shout LOL.
You know things in Egypt just aren't that complicated.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com