EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Living in Egypt » Windows, genuine or otherwise

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Windows, genuine or otherwise
Ayisha
Member # 4713

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ayisha     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am looking into a new computer and was told I can get one for such and such a price but it wont have Genuine Windows on it. I am not all that up on Operating systems so what advantages does genuine have over Egy dodgy? Would it affect the programmes I run etc? I need techy help [Big Grin]
Posts: 15090 | From: http://www.egyptalk.com/forum/ | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sashyra8
Member # 14488

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sashyra8     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Not a computer geek or anything closer,but ive had experience,and been told by somebody else that happened the same that when you have a bootleg of a Windows version your computer may crash or freeze anytime.
Let a techy now tell their story.

Posts: 3833 | From: here,there,everywhere | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ford Prefect (not perfect)
Member # 9338

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ford Prefect (not perfect)   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You can run any app as normal. The problem is windows expiring the license that the system thinks it has. If they are not bootlegging it properly... i.e. using some form of software loader that tricks the licensing... not only can this affect performance but the first time you run windows update, the softloader gets killed and your stuck with a windows license that will expire in x amount of days, or immediate... either of which happens (if on vista or win 7) you're pretty much locked out of the system until corrected.

There are a couple ways to overcome this... buy a legit copy from MS and enter the proper license key. or take it to a tech that knows what he's doing (they are around but somewhat hard to find in egy) to do a non software based bootleg. I've learned that most will take it back to the "dealer"... to which the dealer will just blow it all away and reload the software bootleg (which will die again if you do windows update).

You might ask the shop if they are using software based workaround for license, or if they are using a manufacturer OEM license key matching whats in the hardware BIOS along with proper SSL cert in the OS. The latter is bullet proof and makes the OS genuine (although not quite legal) as thats the same method a factory uses when producing preloaded machines.

For the non technical user who wants a legit OS and doesn't want to deal with the hassle, I might suggest just ordering one online and paying the little extra for customs. OR buying the hardware in egypt and purchasing windows license online, and/or reloading it clean from the purchased media.

Posts: 409 | From: Betelgeuse | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ayisha
Member # 4713

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ayisha     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks Ford! I thought it a bit not right when he told me I could put a 2GB RAM memory in 1 socket when I have 2 and it can only upgread to 2 max, everything I read says max for each slot will be 1GB

I will look at a genuine boxed one before I buy.

--------------------
If you don't learn from your mistakes, there's no sense making them.

Posts: 15090 | From: http://www.egyptalk.com/forum/ | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dilemma
Member # 16672

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dilemma     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You can try www.nefsak.com. They deliver in Egypt. They carry genuine boxed windows.
Posts: 133 | From: egypt/usa | Registered: May 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ford Prefect (not perfect)
Member # 9338

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ford Prefect (not perfect)   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ayisha:
Thanks Ford! I thought it a bit not right when he told me I could put a 2GB RAM memory in 1 socket when I have 2 and it can only upgread to 2 max, everything I read says max for each slot will be 1GB

Yeah, memory specifications vary quite a bit, you probably did good at sticking with hardware documentation. Wish you luck in finding what you need.

quote:
Originally posted by Dilemma:
You can try www.nefsak.com. They deliver in Egypt. They carry genuine boxed windows.

That looks promising, adding it to bookmarks for future reference, thanks [Big Grin]
Posts: 409 | From: Betelgeuse | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
karim
Member # 3077

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for karim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
First it depends on the motherboard the max of rams you install.
I have 2G in each socket. I have 4G, but only 64bit windows can read 4G and above. The 32 bit can read only 3G something.

quote:
Originally posted by Ayisha:

Posts: 1226 | From: Egypt | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
karim
Member # 3077

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for karim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
All my life I am using cracked windows and it is working perfect, and have no problem in updating it.
All my software are not legit and they work with no problem at all.

Posts: 1226 | From: Egypt | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
marydot
Member # 15932

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for marydot     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You can still use the computer if the operating system is not genuine. But the only thing you have to be careful with is windows updates,make sure you turn off windows update, as if you do have windows updates on, and it does update, all it does is microsoft finds the operating system serial number and check it, if it is not genuine the copy of windows will be blacklisted.

If blacklisted you can still use the computer, but if you do reinstall windows you wont be able to use that serial number.

Many years ago it was easy to hack windows to make a fake serial genuine.

More tricky nowadays, but theres still a way around it.

Last year I brought a second hand computer (Dell) from ebay, with windows XP on it,wiped it clean and reinstalled windows7 on it and added more memory also, works like a baby.

--------------------
http://www.youtube.com/user/marydotapple

Posts: 1048 | From: If you are given a blessing you may be envied | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
metinoot
Member # 17031

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for metinoot     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by karim:
All my life I am using cracked windows and it is working perfect, and have no problem in updating it.
All my software are not legit and they work with no problem at all.

The only thing you need to worry about in regards to hacked windows, even the "blue editions" is the windows genuine update.

I have had trouble installing SAS and cognos on my blue edition windows because there are certain parts of the kernel missing.

If all software is windows no problem, but when its middle ware from another vendor even if you paid for the middle ware it can be a headache.

Posts: 2280 | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
marydot
Member # 15932

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for marydot     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thats when the problems start, missing kernals and registery keys are missed out at reinstall, when you use a crappy version of windows, it can lead to huge problems. Like blue screen of Death lol
Posts: 1048 | From: If you are given a blessing you may be envied | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com