EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Living in Egypt » best buys where ???

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: best buys where ???
chelsea
Member # 16298

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for chelsea     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi everyone
Can you please tell me where i can buy LCD TV mircowave, and other electrical goods i will be arrivng sept for a short week then wil be shipping these hopefully to Luxor, also what a furniture modern where is the best place either to buy or get made i need a L shape soga and chair bedroom furniture etc i know im gonna be busy busy but any advice is so welcome xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Posts: 81 | From: england | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
chelsea
Member # 16298

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for chelsea     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
sorry sofa typing toooo fast ah xxxxxxxxxxxx
Posts: 81 | From: england | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ayisha
Member # 4713

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ayisha     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I dont get it, why buy elec goods and 'ship' to Luxor, why not buy IN Luxor?

BTec on station street or el bana opposite that for electrical goods in Luxor.

--------------------
If you don't learn from your mistakes, there's no sense making them.

Posts: 15090 | From: http://www.egyptalk.com/forum/ | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
nevermind
Member # 6674

Icon 1 posted      Profile for nevermind     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Aren't the prices much higher, and you also get slightly older models, in smaller locations? At least in Shebin we pay as much as 500-1000 EGP per TV more, them keeping the old price levels for as long as can.
Or different in Luxor? Shipping anyway also costs, but what about models and selection, is it good enough?

Sofa and other furniture should think is best to get from a carpenter in Luxor, or what do you think, Ayisha? How is the level of craftsmanship there? You won't find a proper horsehair and spring seat sofa in Cairo, and never L-shape - these are all cheap foam stuff! Find exactly what you need, in Internet, then print the photo preferably with measurements (here they tend to make the seats more high and more narrow, thus not so comfy - Egy standard for sofa width being 90 cm INCLUDING the back, while for comfy sitting you would need CLEAN 90 cm of seat, and then the back, thus total 100-110 cm) Anyway, look at the Furniture thread not so long ago, you get all pros and cons [Big Grin] .

Carrefour (in Maadi) perhaps is a good place to get an overview of what is availablein electricals, but hubby swears he saw out TV for something again like 500 EGP cheaper in a TV shop in Zamalek, immediately after we had bought. So CF may not be the best place for best prices. Then again from there you can learn what average sensible prices are at the moment, then try to get better elsewhere. Like, for the price of our smaller set we bought 2 yrs ago we could get two 40" plasmas now, so these sliding fast...

CF also has an In & Out furniture shop, lots of those L-shapes there, but you must like foam then! [Smile] But again - good as introduction into available styles and prices.

Posts: 1051 | From: Menoufeya | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cheekyferret
Member # 15263

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cheekyferret     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Chelsea... you can buy all that here no problems. I started from scratch as I shipped nothing due to the cost, I sold my goods at home and used the profit to buy here [Smile]

I know you never mentioned Cairo but if you do pass this way there are numerous modern stores that sell L shaped furniture... the nice ones with big scatter cushions [Big Grin] If you do want any Cairo info let me know and I will post further.

As for shipping, look into what you will be taxed on for goods coming in, especially the electical items, and be aware that if the goods are going by sea they will dock in Alex and be took by road most likely to Luxor. Egyptian authorities are not known for the loving care and attention of your goods and they may arrive battered if they arrive at all.

Also consider compatibility... if you bring a tv for example would it be able to support Egyptian hardware such as DVDs, WII, Surround sound... I don't have many 3 pin plug items but those I do have drive me mad as it is a 2 pin plug country and all the plug boards in the world dont make life very easy (I have bug bear about square adapters in Egypt yet round plug sockets!!!)

Btec is a good store btw... and if you are coming to Cairo then there is Radioshack, Virgin, Compume, Sony etc... Sony is an ACE shop!!! Cairo has a lot of mod cons and with technology and is up to date.

Posts: 11097 | From: Cairo | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
nevermind
Member # 6674

Icon 1 posted      Profile for nevermind     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think the poster meant to buy in Cairo and "ship" from here to Luxor CF (?)

I hope Sony shop is good, but Virgin is in Citystars so it sells everything w a Citystars "margin" [Wink] . Mostly just a (smallish) showcase for some bling models, at least what concerns TVs. Radio shack... I never found anything useful in Radioshack in Egypt yet, not even decent earphones. What is it even supposed to sell? Oh, well, anyway... [Smile]
Hope the rest are somewhat useful. [Smile]

Posts: 1051 | From: Menoufeya | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cheekyferret
Member # 15263

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cheekyferret     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ah, well buying in Cairo is a piece of cake...

But like Ayisha said, why not buy the big electrical stuff in Luxor and save on the transportation of it.

OP, you did type quickly.. you want to buy an LCD RV microwave!!! [Wink] The only channel you will get on that will last only a few minutes and it will consist of watching food go round [Wink]

Virgin may only have a few TVS but they have some good stuff TVs there... I love the 14000le TV they had set up with the sofas!!! It was bigger than my lounge wall! Good thing about Virgin is they sell good quality goods at a reasonable price and they are guaranteed. And if you are looking for good headphones why not go to Virgin they sell top of the range ones... to go with all the ipod range they also sell. They sell some lush head-kandy in there.

I am going to CS on Thursday so I will have a look out Chelsea for what else there is and if you like get some prices.

Posts: 11097 | From: Cairo | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
nevermind
Member # 6674

I was looking for wireless headphones for TV. For those cases when someone urgently needs Tom & Jerry middle of night. [Big Grin]
I almost do not listen to non-live music, noise distracts me. Certainly not ipods, but it goes with age i guess, my FIL has one, uses it for listening to christian music when motocycling to the church.

Virgin has Samsung... doesn´t everyone have Samsung? [Smile] And as a rule you need a room 3-4 times wider than you screen dia, so before you go buy that football screen, you need to buy yourself a football stadium!

Anyway, never mind [Smile] . I guess it is already clear most things are available somewhere in this 20 million city. The only complicator is - you do not always know, where... [Frown]

chelsea
Member # 16298

Rate Member
Thanks everyone thought the choice in CARIO may have been wider than Luxor but will look in Luxor then......... LCD TV in LOuxor last time i looked was approx £1000 for 38in xxxxxxxxxxxxx thanks
Cheekyferret
Member # 15263

Rate Member
If you come to Cairo I can help you if you like... unless you are a weird psycho killer. [Big Grin]
nevermind
Member # 6674

In Carrefour last time we saw a decent 40" plasma went for 3999LE, it is then less than 500£, or what? Prices have gone down a lot over a year or two! so I think stick to a 500£ limit, no more, with approximately that size.

Oh, Compu Me actually has a web page with prices! Thanks for that name, CF, I did not know them.
http://www.compume.com/index.php?target=categories&category_id=199

About micros I do not know because do not use. A Black & Decker small rotisserie oven depending of size costs around 370-470EGP it's then less than 50£or what, but there have been offers at around 250EGP for similar ones. Micros I think cost appr double of that price.

Luxor, what a fabulous place to live... except right now in this month, perhaps [Big Grin]

Cheekyferret
Member # 15263

Rate Member
Hey Chelsea, I went to City Stars today and had a look around for you.

There are plenty of plasma screens... and the sales are on too. The shop called Appliance had a mass array of LG plasma screens.

Also, I told you where you can look at L shaped sofas but I also found another store with some lovely stuff.. called White House.

All stores have sales on...

I got me a BLACKBERRY baby.... bbm here I come [Big Grin]

Dexter
Member # 16952

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dexter     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Is WhiteHouse in Citystars ? How did I miss that ?
Posts: 62 | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cheekyferret
Member # 15263

Rate Member
Yes, it is next door to Istikibal...
'Shahrazat
Member # 12769

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 'Shahrazat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ohh İstikbal is in Cairo as well?

IMO, it has the worst design with foolishly expensive prices. I hate it.

Posts: 2591 | From: **Ex Oriente Lux** | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
An Exercise in Futility
Member # 9889

Icon 1 posted      Profile for An Exercise in Futility         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I quite like some of their stuff but WAY too expensive.

It's a Turkish firm isn't it?

Posts: 5593 | From: Egypt | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cheekyferret
Member # 15263

Rate Member
I like the stuff, it is modern and fresh.

I believe it is Turkish. It has been in Cairo a long while.. I believe they are a well established firm.

White House looked nice too.

'Shahrazat
Member # 12769

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 'Shahrazat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Shanta Qadeama:
I quite like some of their stuff but WAY too expensive.

It's a Turkish firm isn't it?

Ohh yes it is Turkish SQ. A very big company.
I think Turkish companies apply the same prices there and that may be higher for Egyptian norms.

One of my friends bought a pair of boots from Damat/Tween in Cairo and the price was same with Turkey.

Posts: 2591 | From: **Ex Oriente Lux** | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
nevermind
Member # 6674

Oh my god this Istikbal is where the cheap modern production is heading to, even in Egypt. A bit more, and gone are the pristine 100% natural wood frames and walls, and in comes Istikbal - 100% of sawdust mixed with glue, buffed and glossed. CF, I am seriously disappointed that you like what is essentially rubbish [Frown] . For people who have even less brains than they have money, I do assume it is not really your league? I hope so!
Brick-brack is another thing, if you mean that - the lamps, side tables etc. These can be rubbish if they only look good [Smile] . But sawdust furniture... anyone? :-O

Dzosser
Member # 9572

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dzosser   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I prefer KIAN to Istikbal..the Turkish stuff looks like its been tailored to suit our Arab archaic taste in furniture, pink and green upholstry with odd looking metal bars holding the pieces together ??? [Confused] Ugly bedrooms that'll give you nightmares..
'Galerie La Fayette Maison' in Paris will be shut down if they displayed such crap. [Eek!]

LCD best buy is Hisense 40" full HD for just 4000 EGP. [Wink]

Posts: 3219 | From: Wisdom comes with age, but sometimes age comes alone. | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
nevermind
Member # 6674

Did they have any LCDs in the range of 1000 LE? CF DAndy Mall had a couple but maybe the stores at CS have even better choice by now? SIL is waiting for baby and her husband decided to give her a TV. They just married the other year and the first thing he bought for her as an "extra" was an aircon and now he cleared it he wants to buy TV because she is a TV addict [Big Grin] . (so sweet of him, I find) They want to buy an old model, a huge screen boxy LG or something because their budget is just such, but I am trying to get them look at those 21" LCDs instead, or what? They do not even have room for a huge box...
Dzosser
Member # 9572

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dzosser   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes..you can find reasonably smaller LCDs for like 1.5 K for 21" and 1.8 K for the 26"..but measure them before purchase to make sure they fit into their spots.
Posts: 3219 | From: Wisdom comes with age, but sometimes age comes alone. | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cheekyferret
Member # 15263

Rate Member
I am disappointed you like the clothes here that you seem to adore but I don't insult your intelligence!!! Jesus on a bike!!! Talk about patronising lol...

I love Kian too,especially the lamps!!! So funky. and I love IKEA, I cannot wait for it to open here!

Cheekyferret
Member # 15263

Rate Member
Also, i don't look at the prices of everything, if I like something enough to sit in my house and be appreciated I buy it. In the UK I spent more on my sofa than most folk spend on their cars!!!

And if that means I have less brains than I do money then I must be one effing rich lady because I am no bloody idiot [Big Grin]

nevermind
Member # 6674

If you read closely, I did not insult yours either [Cool] . I am in fact jealous of it, or why do you think I am spending all that effort trying to shatter your omnipotent image on ES... but you wriggle out every time! [Big Grin]

But as I see from here you are simply past all materialistic worries! You buy without even giving it a thought! (what was it, anyway?...)

Mynameisthis
Member # 17234

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mynameisthis         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Cheekyferret:
Also, i don't look at the prices of everything, if I like something enough to sit in my house and be appreciated I buy it. In the UK I spent more on my sofa than most folk spend on their cars!!!

And if that means I have less brains than I do money then I must be one effing rich lady because I am no bloody idiot [Big Grin]

That just means that your parents own very cheap cars(which is not a bad thing.). But no one with any intelligence whatsoever would ever spend more than 60,000 LE on their sofa, which is the cheapest new car you can buy in Egypt. Some people do spend that kind of money but I would never describe them as intelligent no matter how rich they are.
Posts: 1044 | Registered: Nov 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cheekyferret
Member # 15263

Rate Member
My parents don't drive... neither do I. Either here or anywhere! [Big Grin] Yet my background....naaaah, why should I share [Big Grin]

Who said I compared my sofa to cars in Egypt? Time and time again people read but do not explore all avenues!!! Think UK cars!!!!

I don't wriggle out of anything... as far as my memory serves no questions have been asked to avoid! I just don't SPRAWL my ins and outs on here [Big Grin]

I buy things I like... yay to me.

I am not materialistic.... except when gadgets are concerned and I want want want [Smile] But to make ME happy and not to impress others.

I never give a though to buying what I desire if I can afford it! Is this a problem?:

Dzosser
Member # 9572

Rate Member
I wouldn't pay 8 grand for this even if I had the money, its ugly and banal..although its a Georgio Armani design. [Roll Eyes]
Cheekyferret
Member # 15263

Rate Member
It does't look comfortable sitting alone. In a room with the matching suite.. then yeah. It isn't offensive, it isn't boring. Stylish, with longevity...

It looks pretty standard. I would buy that if I could.

nevermind
Member # 6674

I do not think design is so important - there are always too many designs and too many tastes. And it is quite healthy to "develop" from one taste to another over lifetime and to play around a bit, instead of sticking to one style only. But I do think that what is inside is important, and certain honesty about your stuff. If you produce Ikea grade (also sawdust) things but also price them accordingly and sell to those first home owners and newlyweds... who can blame you? Or if you produce for them who need to flaunt theirs a bit, like Armani? Because I am sure this essentially boring piece is superbly built and contains only the best materials in and out, whether natural or some syntho sci-fi.
I love simplicity a lot so I could not help looking at this bit for quite a while, but then again I detest that trend of rectangular functionality that makes all homes look cold like offices. Plus that they all look similar, now that everyone has followed the trend. I thought Egypt will be refreshingly opulent, but no! The same thing over here, and here it is just beginning, too!

Anyway, what irritates me is when someone mixes sawdust with what are essentially poisonous chemicals, buffs it over, and then calls it "exclusive" and sets up a "boutique" at Citystars, to sell it! Or wraps some polyurethane foam (not to last over 2 yrs) into a nice textile, attaches a couple of metal legs and again sells with huge margin. And OK maybe CF here fell for a piece of those, then what can you do - you follow your heart because you have to! But I am worried for those who indeed think it is exclusive or some kind of a new "quality", based on the polished look only! Or that it's worth its price. (One zero less would probably come closer.)

That is my only worry here [Smile] , and not what our dear CF here can or cannot afford, or to what pieces her urges & desires guide here.

btw, CF, so your mom & dad had a DRIVER?

Cheekyferret
Member # 15263

Rate Member
Jesus, such drama over something you park your arse on!!!

Quit worrying about what tickles my pickle. Jaysus.

So we don't drive therefore we must have a driver!!!

I am off to play with my gadgets [Wink]

Cheekyferret
Member # 15263

Rate Member
And I know plenty of folk with drivers, what is your gripe with that!!!

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com